test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Caitian Mane

supergaminggeeksupergaminggeek Member Posts: 616 Arc User
You know that Caitian, M'Ress? The comms relief officer?
mresswm.jpg
Give us the hair! All we have is basic fur, and for more, we have to purchase a Ferasan!

On a side note, I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be the same race, because Caitian homeworld is Ferasa.
Post edited by supergaminggeek on

Comments

• velktravelktra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I so want that mane. It's so much prettier than the current styles (and fits more in line with the "they look like lions" thing).

And the STO Caitians don't line up with other Caitians in the Star Trek Universe. They made Cait and Ferasa two different planets. It bugs me too, but it's their game; they can do whatever they want.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
  • ssargonssargon Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I like to think of "Ferasa" as the homeworld the Caitians were exiled from, and "Cait" is their new adopted world.

But regardless. This would be awesome and instantly adorn the heads of all my Caitians. It's just a shame we're not likely to get it since we probably would have by now...
    edited August 2012
    ssargon wrote: »
    I like to think of "Ferasa" as the homeworld the Caitians were exiled from, and "Cait" is their new adopted world.

Hey, that actually makes sense! This explanation works for me. :D
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,630 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You know that Caitian, M'Ress? The comms relief officer?
    mresswm.jpg
    Give us the hair! All we have is basic fur, and for more, we have to purchase a Ferasan!

On a side note, I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be the same race, because Caitian homeworld is Ferasa.

Oh man, I would so love for them to finally put in a true Trek hairstyle like this for Caitians.

Heck, make it a Z-store item if that's what is takes to justify spending the development time on an iconic hair type. I'm sure it would make a ton of money.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Oh man, I would so love for them to finally put in a true Trek hairstyle like this for Caitians.

Heck, make it a Z-store item if that's what is takes to justify spending the development time on an iconic hair type. I'm sure it would make a ton of money.

This right here.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Thirded. .....
    edited August 2012
    velktra wrote: »
    I so want that mane. It's so much prettier than the current styles (and fits more in line with the "they look like lions" thing).

I think the original intent in the Animated Series was to make Caitians humanoid 'cat' people, not lions. If you look closely at the animation, M'Ress' tresses are actually hair, not a mane. Which would make sense as only male lions have manes.

Regardless, the picture above is an excellent example of a female 'mane' compromise - not too hair-like, but certainly not a male style either.
    edited August 2012
    I think the original intent in the Animated Series was to make Caitians humanoid 'cat' people, not lions. If you look closely at the animation, M'Ress' tresses are actually hair, not a mane. Which would make sense as only male lions have manes.

Regardless, the picture above is an excellent example of a female 'mane' compromise - not too hair-like, but certainly not a male style either.

"They look like lions" is how I always describe them to people who've never heard of Caitians. I know it's not a real mane, but I've always called it one. "Mane" is another word people use for "long hair" anyway. ;)
    edited August 2012
    velktra wrote: »
    "They look like lions" is how I always describe them to people who've never heard of Caitians. I know it's not a real mane, but I've always called it one. "Mane" is another word people use for "long hair" anyway. ;)

Ha! True.

I'm not sure what happened to the dev who originally drew up the Caitians for STO. If I recall correctly they said the hair designs (including an M'Ress type) were going to follow shortly after the release of the race. And that was quite some time ago.

I understand priorities shift and people leave for other jobs so maybe that dev isn't around any more, but as I said above, make this a Z-store item if need be - make the players and the investors happy at the same time. :P
  • novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Fourthed. If it meant new batches of hairstyles and accessories for any species get added, I'm okay with this.
  • timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    FIFTH'D, they deserve to have manes, the male and female caitians would look awesome with them.. :cool:
  • isiskittyisiskitty Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Sixth'D!

I agree give the kitties their manes!

:D
    ZglYZ94.jpg
  • chakittychakitty Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I want long hair (or a mane if you want to call it that) for the Caitians too, I love the kitties and want long hair on all of my Caitian characters. And I want to put the Orion female uniforms on my Caitian characters too.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Oh man, I would so love for them to finally put in a true Trek hairstyle

This, period. None of the hairstyles have regulation sideburns and the only close to canon hairstyles for males is one kinda like Chekov's and McCoy's and one kinda like Geordi's.

Even female side, the only haircuts represented are Crusher and Tasha Yar's and a bunch of TOS hair buns.
    edited September 2012
    Even female side, the only haircuts represented are Crusher and Tasha Yar's and a bunch of TOS hair buns.

And even the Hair Buns don't even look that TOS. We have a lot of Hairstyles, but most of them look silly. :P

They just need a "Salon Extras" pack that gives you lots of hair, earring, tattoo, facial hair and other various things. It'd be a seller. :)
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    And even the Hair Buns don't even look that TOS. We have a lot of Hairstyles, but most of them look silly. :P

They just need a "Salon Extras" pack that gives you lots of hair, earring, tattoo, facial hair and other various things. It'd be a seller. :)

Yup.

I'd also add variant faces with things like chin clefts, hairstyles with salt and pepper or different colored temples, and the Humanoid 1 nose on a Humanoid 2 style head and vice versa. (Basically, the "asian" eyes (although these are exactly the kind of eyes Patrick Stewart has) with the angular nose and the "euro" eyes with the round nose (which is really needed for more convincing characters of African descent).

From the time I started playing STO, I wanted some glorious Mitt Romney/Reed Richards hair for my Captain (albeit with canon side burn angles).

What I find is that the character creator looks better the younger and punkier you want to make your characters, is moderately good at a G.I. grunt look, and is really weak at creating a middle aged or administrative professional look.

In a sense, it's like we can make the whole A-Team in space except for Face and Murdoch. The problem is, the Starfleet we know from the shows doesn't look military and doesn't look punky or hipsterish. Starfleet officers look like thirty and forty something bankers for the most part. And those options are REALLY limited in STO.

It's weird to me that I can have a mohawk or a pony tail or a buzzcut but I can't have a horseshoe haircut like Picard or an "over the top" part like almost every guy in Star Trek history.

And then in Champions... Man. There's a good twenty plus conservative haircuts and costumes routinely add new ones.

I'd drop some coin for a "salon" pack. If new hair tech is coming, fine, I'll wait. (Though a "Picard" hair-do doesn't seem like it would need new hair tech.) If not... open the floodgates! :-)
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2012
    I'd rather remove the breast's from mine, ever seen a cat with TRIBBLE?
    Either that or add 4 more:D
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Furries, unite!
    edited September 2012

I agree. It would be nice to get more options.

But if they decide to commit to putting manpower on more styles, for heaven's sake, make sure the Caitian hairstyle shown in the OP is included, you know, for Caitians. :P
    edited September 2012
    But if they decide to commit to putting manpower on more styles, for heaven's sake, make sure the Caitian hairstyle shown in the OP is included, you know, for Caitians. :P

Hell, they could even rig it so that it could be used on other races as well as Caitians!
    edited September 2012
    Hell, they could even rig it so that it could be used on other races as well as Caitians!

That's what I'm afraid of - they'll do just that (which would be awesome), forgetting to make it work for the Caitians in the push to sell it. LOL!
    edited September 2012
    That's what I'm afraid of - they'll do just that (which would be awesome), forgetting to make it work for the Caitians in the push to sell it. LOL!

Worst case scenario, yes. But let's see them make it first. :P
  • nikkyvixnikkyvix Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This idea is not new.

It took them forever to actually get around to the "Give Caitians Hair" item on their priorities list, and truly I suspect the only reason they did was because of the plan to unveil playable Ferasans for the KDF and were going to be working in those assets then anyway. We aren't talking weeks or months of complaint from players--both with Caitian characters and without--or months, but over a year plus before they actually got around to adding the current clip-and-tied options.

When asked why Caitians cannot have more M'Ress-like tresses of hair, perhaps imported from Champs (with a screenshot of someone's Champs Online character with vaguely M'ress-like falling hair as an example), the dev answering at the time went into a lengthy explanation about how the codebase hookup of Champs and models made to work there simply would not work or look right imported to STO (which I can understand on the looks department; they're two different games with vaguely derivative engines).

All this to say...don't hold your breath. Cryptic seems to have "satisfied" their current-term obligation to answer nearly two years of cries for Caitian hair by giving us the options we currently have. To have them revisit that is likely not going to happen any time soon. Hell, KDF officers might get the KDF General overcoat they've begged for since launch before that happens.

Be that as it may, I too would like for some art dev with a little free time to solve this simple request for a M'ress-like hairstyle. Because my own female caitian's head just looks like a fuzzy pineapple with those improvised ponytails and I am not a fan of them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
    "Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
  • methosivanhoemethosivanhoe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Completely agreed here...

the current hair for Caitain's is a joke, after 3 years of saying 'yes, we're working on hair', and talking about new hair code, we got results that make our beloved Caitain's look like the illegitimate love child of Sid Vicious and the cast of Cats...

It wouldn't take a lot of work to add proper hair to the Caitian's, and as you can see, players are clamouring for them... so please sort this out :)

Here's an example of how simple it could look and still be effective...

Untitled-1-25.jpg

M
    edited September 2012
    Even that is beautiful! I like the color contrast you used too. Very nice. :D
  • methosivanhoemethosivanhoe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    thanks, was just a quick 'copy and paste' hairstyle job in character creation... hardly a massive effort but it makes my point lol

M
  • novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    thanks, was just a quick 'copy and paste' hairstyle job in character creation... hardly a massive effort but it makes my point lol

M

Yes, it does. Really, they could just let players use the existing hairstyle options for other species on Caitians and it would solve a lot of the hairstyle problems, in my opinion. Yes, the pre-existing hairstyles for other species don't use the fabled "new hair tech", but I'd rather have some more variety available for people to use on their characters than not getting anything in the near or even next to near future.
    edited September 2012
    Untitled-1-25.jpg

Could stand to be poofier. But your point is well taken, it wouldn't be that hard to implement at all.
  • glaitheglaceonglaitheglaceon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I do like the current Caitian styles, though most seem appropriate for the femenine Caitian/Ferasan, especailly the hair (though really, male caitians look just fine with the short/original hair). The patters can use a little more variety, in my opinion, though.

Also, one thing that I thought would be nice for the Caitians/Ferasans is having a barefoot costume option. M'Ress, for example. I don't know how canon Caitians/Ferasans would usually wear based on uniform (Animated Series canon?). Also, you'd think they'd have feet like the typical feline anthro (which essentially is what the Caitians/Ferasans are) that are shaped like the hindfeet of canines/felines. I'm not gonna ramble about the minor details...but in general, I'd like to see such an add-on sometime, just to give Caitians/Ferasans a more attractive/canon feel.

Also, jewelery-wise, it'd be neat if the dangling earrings Ferasans have could be used with Caitians too. Not the biggest fan of the default looped earrings.
  • salenferretsalenferret Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'll admit that I do like the fact that we've FINALLY got some fluffy fur to occupy that old caitian scalp, but yeah, I'd be totally down for the M'Ress style mane. Just make it part of the TOS set, and I'd spend my Zen on it in a heartbeat. I'd also settle for an ST:TAS pack as well, since The Animated Series had some pretty neat stuff that would be nice to see in-game.

Come on, Edosian crewmembers would be awesome.