test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Real planets in other solar systems

randolf2randolf2 Member Posts: 205 Arc User
Since Using the Kepler space telescope and other tools has led to the discovery of thousands of planets orbiting other stars. I suggest adding some of them to STO to make the game seem more realistic. NASA just announced 2 more rocky worlds discovered in their stars habitatal zone so we may soon find another earth like world in real life! http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/kepler/news/kepler-62-kepler-69.html .
Empress Sela, was assimulated by the Borg drone named Tasa Yar! :eek:
Post edited by randolf2 on

Comments

• Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would like to see more real life space stuff in general. We didn't have the telescope technology back in the sixties and eighties, so even though they used a lot of real-life theories, they didn't have a lot to work with. However, even with all the technological advancements, Voyager and Enterprise held back, and just imitated their previous incarnations, rather than including as much real science as they could (which is one of the reasons those two series are the worst ones).

Seeing more real stuff would be awesome. Because once again, reality proves it's better than fiction.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,109 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    aliens might play sto and get all angry when they discover Romulans invading their planet.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    randolf2randolf2 Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I wasn't sure if the other players would agree but looks like they do. How about if we make some missions to some of these worlds. Since there Appear to be thousands of gas giants in our galaxy then how about adding some liforms that thrive in these worlds? Even NASA admits that life as we do not know it could exist outside a stars habital zone!

please type like if you like this so, Cryptic will know how popular this idea is. We must be careful to stay in the Star Trek idea or our game might get messed up! I am sure
    Mr. Roddenbury would want us to keep up with reality while sticking with what is fun and Star Treky.
    Empress Sela, was assimulated by the Borg drone named Tasa Yar! :eek:
  • Options
    lordmanzelotlordmanzelot Member Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm really excited of every new space discovery ... the technical advance in the past 10 years is amazing.
    Subscribed For: 2300+ Days
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited April 2013
    I'm really excited of every new space discovery ... the technical advance in the past 10 years is amazing.

I am so happy we still have something left of NASA and equipment like Keppler is making these profound discoveries. Remember not that long ago people thought that earth might be the only planet out there with stars being devoid of planets.

There are 100 billion stars in the galaxy and if only 1 / 10000 have planets with life and 1 / 10000 of those have intelligent life then there might be hundreds of intelligent species out there.

Agree with OP let's have more real life stuff in sto!
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    I am so happy we still have something left of NASA and equipment like Keppler is making these profound discoveries. Remember not that long ago people thought that earth might be the only planet out there with stars being devoid of planets.

There are 100 billion stars in the galaxy and if only 1 / 10000 have planets with life and 1 / 10000 of those have intelligent life then there might be hundreds of intelligent species out there.

Agree with OP let's have more real life stuff in sto!

Anything of celestial objects ... I even tried to make my own post on this in the Art department bit of the forums (viewable in my SIG)

BUT I REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY want it!
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I like the idea, though I would also like to get access to our own Solar System, Mars, Venus etc.
    21ajpqt.png
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    apulse wrote: »
    I like the idea, though I would also like to get access to our own Solar System, Mars, Venus etc.

Awhile back Cryptic was working on it, then they decided that it wouldn't be worth it unless they had missions to go with the planets and /then/ it kind of just vanished.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Its a game, having empty planets with nothing to do is a waste of time and resources.

I wouldn't say wasted time and resources, there are people who do want an actual Star Trek experience with exploration.

That's why Star Citizen is popular with many people I know in STO, because it's going to give you actual Open PvP and actual Exploration. Which is what people in STO been wanting since Day 1.

So Cryptic needs to pick up the ball or lose out.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I dont want open PvP, dont dare to speak as if everyone here wants open PvP.

And that isnt exploration either, adding places with nothing to do is already in the game ... Risa, Andoria and Vulcan, do I need to say more?

Its a waste because in the end its a game, things have to have a function or they are pointless, even your "great explorers" will go there once, look at it and then leave to never return ... because there is nothing there to actually do.

You are incredibly unimaginative.
  • Options
    interestedguyinterestedguy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think this is an awesome idea and would be a great nod to the scientists who are actually exploring the universe.

It would be cool for Cryptic to get a chance to flex their creative muscle a bit, as well, as they could make up some minor alien races and a few missions. It would be a great place to put some non combat missions.
  • Options
    number1romulannumber1romulan Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited April 2013

And that isnt exploration either, adding places with nothing to do is already in the game ... Risa, Andoria and Vulcan, do I need to say more?

Its a waste because in the end its a game, things have to have a function or they are pointless, even your "great explorers" will go there once, look at it and then leave to never return ... because there is nothing there to actually do.

You missed Bajor. Does anyone go to these places outside of mission eps?

I mean Andoria/Risa - bet they see no more than a couple players a day. Is there even anything to do at those places for people who are not RPing?

Lets not forget - this game is about 1 thing only - the ability to captain and fly around your own starship - anything more is just fluff for 99% of people. If they came out and said we are going to replace everyone's ships with freighters the game would die in a week.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    That is the main problem, we have these social areas that are ignored because there is nothing there to do there, adding something to the game just to look at it is exactly that, going out of our way to see it is something people might do it once but thats it.

Only if Cryptic gives us nothing to do. I myself can think of several things other planets would offer.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,406 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Solace, most of the extrasolar planets discovered thus far are transJovian, and thus perfectly unusable to us (especially worlds like Bellerophon, a "hot Jupiter" in close orbit around 51 Pegasi). This is, of course, an artifact of the technology used to discover those worlds; however, as the technology improves, you will see two changes: 1) we will discover more smaller worlds orbiting other stars, and 2) we will find out more about those worlds. And I'm pretty sure the good folks at STO don't want to be put in the position of spending time creating and scripting about, say, the two possibly-Earthlike planets announced last week that both orbit a star about 1200 lightyears from here, only to have to rewrite everything a few weeks or months later when initial impressions prove to be false...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    So most of them are planets with never-ending super-sonic hurricanes. Why can't we fly our ships through that while trying to survive the endless winds?
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2013
    All of those planets are already in the game. 62B is what the Klingons call "Qo'noS".
    62E is the planet that Andoria orbits.

The point being, most of those planets, in a fictional universe, 400 years in the future, likely have real names, and don't go by some numeric designation given to them by humans looking through a metal tube, hundreds of years before.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    and even if discovered by our giant mirror in space, by the time it reaches us that system could of been wiped out by a nova.. our information on the galaxy is a few million years if not more out of date.

we need better equipment to point out a system more quickly then light waves, a more accurate measuring system and such.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    and even if discovered by our giant mirror in space, by the time it reaches us that system could of been wiped out by a nova.. our information on the galaxy is a few million years if not more out of date.

we need better equipment to point out a system more quickly then light waves, a more accurate measuring system and such.

[nerd]:: Pushes up glasses :: Actually, since the galaxy is only 100,000 light years across and we are 80,000 LY from the farthest star in it (and 20,000 LY from the edge) our information on the galaxy is at worst 80,000 years out of date, not millions. [/nerd]
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited April 2013

The galaxy is not millions of light years across, it's 150,000. The information we're getting in our neighbourhood isn't that out of date. The galaxy progresses very slowly.

On another note, it'd be nice to have some real-time missions, such as terraforming Mars some more, or some planetary development on planets in Earth's Solar System that eventually leads to something real cool. It can be done over the span of one season, so as one season progresses, we can see its development. We wouldn't be able to actually affect its development as it's going to be done over the course of that season. However, getting involved would get you a nice reward.

Risa could have a few missions that will eventually give you an accolade that increases your health and regeneration. You learn to relax! Andoria could help you develop resistance or better meele skills. Doing oh... 50 combats on Andoria would give you +5 bonus resistance to all ground stats. Winning 50 matches would give you +5 damage increase on meele.

Bonus missions on your species homeworld could boost your species' automatic traits. Bajor, could be go get a orb. First time, get plus 1 to your stats, 20 times, plus 2, 50 times, plus 5.

(50 times would be the cap) The missions wouldn't be that easy. Andoria would actually be a pVp event and must be a victory to get it. Yeah I can see a flaw with that, a fleet could just set two people up, one sit there and get killed 50 times, but that's a long time to be beaten up. The reward would be 2,000 xp and skill points, 450 dil and the accolade. Bajor could be a STF, team of 5 to get the orb from a cardassian outpost. Vulcan would be a single player, like a sector patrol. You answer a bunch of logic questions, do some running around, and solve some sort of problem without violence, anger or any emotions.

Earth would be some sort of great project to develop the solar system, such as a terraforming project on Mars. Humans would be able to improve their teamwork trait by working to better the lives of the people of Sol System.

Ferengi would have to do a bunch of exchange deals and buy/sell stuff to vendors, something like sell 300, get 3 percent off, sell 1000, get 10 percent off, capped there.

Klingons, that's easy. Kill 500 people, get 1 percent to damage stats, kill 5,000 people, 5 percent to all damage stats with a bonus to meele. Get killed 50 times, get 1 percent to resistance, get killed 500 times, 5 percent to all resistance, with a bonus to kinetic.

I just realised I totally went off topic, lol... but it would be nice to add exploration missions to those worlds, or bonus missions that improves our characters. It would spread us out, yes, but we would be on different worlds. Andoria could be a ground pvp arena and a focus point for those who want to fight on the ground. Combat there would give your character a greater change to do meele damage. I'm so tired of everyone hanging out on ESD.
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    [nerd]:: Pushes up glasses :: Actually, since the galaxy is only 100,000 light years across and we are 80,000 LY from the farthest star in it (and 20,000 LY from the edge) our information on the galaxy is at worst 80,000 years out of date, not millions. [/nerd]

And we can't get much data on the farthest parts, because the galactic hub and bar are too dense. Our usable range is more like 50,000 ly, and we can't detect planets at that range yet. The farthest exoplanet we've detected is 27,700 ly.

But even if we had the full 100,000 range, we'd have a pretty good idea which ones were or weren't destroyed by the time the light reached us. Stars don't just suddently explode for no reason except in certain types of stellar collisions. It's a slow buildup with identifiable phases, and the final phase when the explosion is imminent "any time now" lasts tens of thousands up to several million years depending on the type and mass.

At 27.7k we can easily tell if the nearby stars pose a danger to the planets we're finding, and I'm only aware of one planet candidate that may not be there anymore, a gas giant whose orbit is almost inside the maximum radius of its highly variable parent star - it may not be there anymore or it may not be a gas giant anymore.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    stars dying takes millions, if not billions of years. So we know. The only thing we can't really track are those travelling at 90 percent the speed of light.
  • Options
    wolfpack12cwolfpack12c Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited April 2013

That would all depend on the amount of gravity in the center of our galaxy. Due to the fact that C is dependent on G
    -"There is no such thing as an I win button!" "Um, Sir. Whats this button that says (I win) for then?"
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Open PvP, there are ways to implement it without needing flags. Just have certain locations being "high risk" areas and it's up to you to enter it or not.

And you really think the things we do in Exploration Clusters is exploration? :rolleyes:

If I had my way, Id have Cryptic get rid of those useless Exploration clusters, and add visitable solar systems (the same systems we do our missions in) and people (at their liesure) actually explore. You go up to a world, scan, and see if anything interesting comes up from scans.

New Life?
    New Resources (maybe a new Dilithium vein players could mine).
    New Civilizations (have actual Prime Directive protocols).

Or finding trouble (missions).

Some systems in the game like Regulus have multiple canonical worlds (another world in Regulus is the Caitian homeworld).

Just doing this makes these mission locations useful again outside of Foundry missions. And when Cryptic opens up Deep Space, they could easily tie it into a Foundry system where authors could create their own civilizations and missions around them, maybe go a step further and make rivial factions that make you choose between the two.

I rather see this than .........boring.............exploration clusters doing the same thing..........over...........and over............ /yawn and over.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,406 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That would all depend on the amount of gravity in the center of our galaxy. Due to the fact that C is dependent on G
    Actually, that is irrelevant - if we could somehow magically see through the massive gas clouds between here and the far side of the galaxy, light from there would be gravitationally lensed by the supermassive black hole in the center. We could still treat c as being a constant, and use the in vacuo measurement for it. On the other hand, the gravitational lens might make the objects seen appear brighter than they actually are...
    Open PvP, there are ways to implement it without needing flags. Just have certain locations being "high risk" areas and it's up to you to enter it or not.
    If I wanted to play EVE Online, I'd bloody play EVE Online.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    If I wanted to play EVE Online, I'd bloody play EVE Online.

Did I say a system like EVE? NO, I DID NOT!

I was pointing out how people voluntarily enter PvP zones like Ker'rat and Otha. If you enter a PvP zone, expect to get shot at. Plain and simple.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I hate entering Ker'rat, but only because we all warp in together, in the same spot... where's the strategy in that?
  • Options
    svwilsonsvwilson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Bonus missions on your species homeworld could boost your species' automatic traits.

Earth would be some sort of great project to develop the solar system, such as a terraforming project on Mars. Humans would be able to improve their teamwork trait by working to better the lives of the people of Sol System.

Actually, what about the Atlantis Project? Where they build an artificial landmass in the ocean? Picard was thinking of taking the job as its manager.

I like this whole post, btw. Mostly non-combat ways of getting permanent trait boosts.

As for exploration missions: Notice how one poster said that there's nothing to do on Risa, except role-playing? The implication being, role-playing is actually "nothing to do". I don't agree, but personally, I like tangible results even from just walking around. Its the reason I don't bother earning vanity pets or costumes. So it would be nice if you can get some kind of bonus: a few accolades, maybe a bonus to your run speed and scanning range because your experience lets you "explore" faster. You've just completed a mineralogical survey of the world; have some dilithium.

Hey, maybe there are some doff missions you can only get on "unexplored" worlds.

To be really "exploration", there can't be any way of knowing what you're going to find there. It can't look too much like a place you've already visited, and you certainly read it in advance on the wiki. I think you'd have to implement the Genesis engine that could create settings randomly.