test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Reputation system

gaalomgaalom Member Posts: 530 Arc User
Like many I was angry and upset when this system was put in the game. So my feedback here will be simple and to the point. I gave it a try, so got up to about tier three, and needed a piece of gear. Cost 15000 dilithium, almost twice the amount you can refine in one day. This was only mid way through the reputation system.

Feedback request remove dilithium cost from the reputation system for subscribers and lifetime subs. This is insane at this rate no matter what alt or toon I make I hit vice admiral and I am done due to the excessive dilithium costs.

The other option is rewarding player 5000 dilithium per stf completed.
Post edited by gaalom on

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The 8k limit is per character, not per account. I routinely refine between 15-20k every day averaging around 3 hours of play time.

The point of the Rep system is to not have everything done in a week. It's a long-term project.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    uss917019uss917019 Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    gaalom wrote: »

I agree for and plus what they should do is raise all of the missions Dilithium because either way were still getting 8000 per day so Cryptic don't need to worry about ppl going to rich.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited April 2013
    I wasn't thrilled with reputation at first, but now I like it. Dedication pays off by having access to a wider range of tech and abilities.

From a game mechanics perspective, it gives STO the ability to add more range and depth of races etc to build relationships and reputation with. I can't wait for an Orion Pirates reputation, or a Ferengi reputation.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I understand its a long term thing but the current set up for this is great if you want to burn out your player base. Ive done the dailies so many times on my mains its not even funny. Dailies was a nice concept, maybe even enjoyable at first in mmos, but now they just burn people out. Not to mention the mining dilithium does not yield anything in the range of 15k. Nor does the dailies. Ive heard the doff system does, but thats pure random on one doffs your going to pick up.

I dont mind working for something, I really dont, but if its going to chew up several hours of my time. Then I want something pretty darn good in return. I dont mind doing a few stfs. The reward in dilithium from the stfs is no where near where it should be. They want 15k for a item in the reputation. Fine then give me 5k per stf run. Its not like I can refine it all in a day, but atleast it will be there. More importantly I can do other things in the game instead of just a dilithium grind.
  • Options
    wrathofachilleswrathofachilles Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Additionally, the reputation system is prohibitive for newcomers to make multiple characters. Who wants to go through that massive grind on 3, 6, and now 9 characters if you make one captain for each profession and each faction? And every time they add a reputation, you have to do it on each of your characters (if you want the bonuses and gear) which you will then pay out the nose for once you unlock it.

Honestly, it wouldn't even be so annoying if there weren't timers forcing you to take so long to do it. If one has the resources to blow through the reputation, let us, don't force us to take weeks waiting for endless timers to run their course. I realize cryptic wants to draw out the content to give the players something to do, but making us wait a day to do each project just to drag it out is pretty lame.
  • Options
    dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    How the hell do people have trouble hitting their dil caps if they have mining rights?

One right can get you 5,000 dil in less than 5 minutes.
    A contraband hand-in will get you another 2k dil.
    10 minutes of DOffing can get you another 500 easily just from doing the 2-mission colonist shuffle (one mission to pick some up, the second mission to send some away), plus however much more dil you get from the other 17 missions you can be running.
    Then just do an STF, Traelus daily, ker'rat... whatever you fancy for the extra 500 or so dil you need to hit the 8k.

Also, does anyone else find it amusing that some people in this thread are complaining they can't get resources quickly enough to fill the projects as they open up, while others are complaining that the projects take too long to complete their cooldowns when they're full?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    dma1986 wrote: »
    How the hell do people have trouble hitting their dil caps if they have mining rights?

One right can get you 5,000 dil in less than 5 minutes.
    A contraband hand-in will get you another 2k dil.
    10 minutes of DOffing can get you another 500 easily just from doing the 2-mission colonist shuffle (one mission to pick some up, the second mission to send some away), plus however much more dil you get from the other 17 missions you can be running.
    Then just do an STF, Traelus daily, ker'rat... whatever you fancy for the extra 500 or so dil you need to hit the 8k.

Also, does anyone else find it amusing that some people in this thread are complaining they can't get resources quickly enough to fill the projects as they open up, while others are complaining that the projects take too long to complete their cooldowns when they're full?

It's not that difficult to get the resources to fill level up projects, those are just annoying with their day long cool, the people complaining about resources are for the large dilithium costs once you unlock weapons or have access to special equipment projects like romulan/omega deflector/engine/shields etc.

I don't have too much of a problem with having to grind up the dilithium and wait to refine it. It's a pain yes, but one I can deal with. The real annoyance for me is the obvious, forced drawing out of a new "content" through reputation by making the cool on each level up project take a day. I'm sure people would find it annoying with a cool of an hour as well, feeling like they are penalized for not being able to be in the game 24/7, which I'm sure I would agree with. I suppose I'm just impatient, particularly when it feels like I'm being made to wait simply to make me wait.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The point of the Rep system is to not have everything done in a week. It's a long-term project.

The person here though got to T3 within that system. And is merely complaining about the added resource drain of tacking dilithium refining costs and timesinks onto the already working reputation timesink.

It is a bit excessive. Go through how many resources need to be collected to get the uniform options out of the MACO ground set. It's a little annoying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The 8k limit is per character, not per account. I routinely refine between 15-20k every day averaging around 3 hours of play time.

However, artificially slowing you down feels very cheap and weak to me. I mean obvious time sink is obvious.

Also: This Dilithium tax on EVERYTHING is a bit stupid at the end of the day. It would not be quite so bad if it was just a few things that needed massive Dilithium but EVERYTHING requires it. Even after you spend a lot more in effort to get marks and EC's in order to buy the several million creds worth of junk you need for Reputation tiers. Add to that the frustration of buying these stupid Stims and Shield Gens and such which you can only buy in the 20's and only stack that high when you NEED them in the 50's. If you could buy 1K at a time and they stacked in 250 blocks then it would be far less annoying.

Also having to buy the costume unlock after working to get the darned set to begin with is annoying. Just give it to me for having done all the grinding to get the thing I am now WEARING... OR if we are going to go this way give me the option of buying the costume for Ship sets too so I can have any set appearance I prefer.

I do like the Reputation system for what it offers but the way it is implemented it is just a MASSIVE Time, EC, and Dilithium sink that attempts to rival Star Base construction. I think it could use to be streamlined and made a bit more forgiving in terms of Dilithium thanks to the need for everything else. Let us save our Dilithium for Starbases where it sort of makes sense.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Its like I said if they want us to sink our dilithium into the reputation system for gear, then give us enough from the stfs to equal the sink. The amount you get for completing a stf is a joke compared to the amount you need for gear from the Reputation.

Ill say something else I did the stfs for three days before the rep hit, and I got some nice pieces of gear. Better yet I wasn't being drained of any dilithium I had. The mining rights that is a bad joke at best. According to my information from within the game you need to get that via unlocking a lock box. We all know what the chances are of that happening. Sorry but I am not going to sink bogo amounts of RL money into sto for a chance at getting mining rights.

This is my other gripe. So they are coming out with Romulans, what are all these Romulan captains supposed to do, they are going to get nailed with the same dilithium sink that is already there. Its not something thats going to prop up sto rather its going to hurt it. You have allot of people who got their gear, R&D, and ships done long before dilithium hit the game. When you start a new toon you have to deal with the excessive nature of costs when it comes to dilithium. Something I feel at least is going to hit home while everyone levels up there Romulan to max level.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Its like I said if they want us to sink our dilithium into the reputation system for gear, then give us enough from the stfs to equal the sink. The amount you get for completing a stf is a joke compared to the amount you need for gear from the Reputation.

Ill say something else I did the stfs for three days before the rep hit, and I got some nice pieces of gear. Better yet I wasn't being drained of any dilithium I had. The mining rights that is a bad joke at best. According to my information from within the game you need to get that via unlocking a lock box. We all know what the chances are of that happening. Sorry but I am not going to sink bogo amounts of RL money into sto for a chance at getting mining rights.

This is my other gripe. So they are coming out with Romulans, what are all these Romulan captains supposed to do, they are going to get nailed with the same dilithium sink that is already there. Its not something thats going to prop up sto rather its going to hurt it. You have allot of people who got their gear, R&D, and ships done long before dilithium hit the game. When you start a new toon you have to deal with the excessive nature of costs when it comes to dilithium. Something I feel at least is going to hit home while everyone levels up there Romulan to max level.

That is exactly what I'm concerned about. Because the reputation isn't account wide, It's a whole new massive grind every time you make a new character. I imagine cryptic thinks that's a good thing, every time you start a new character, you have to do all that grind which will keep you in the game longer, but I think it's prohibitive to people making new characters. I think people say to themselves "I'd really like a sci officer now that I've built up my engineer... but I really don't want to have to go through all this TRIBBLE again." And similarly. "I'd really like to have a klingon now that I've built up my fed but..." and if you make at least one profession for each faction... holy TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That is exactly what I'm concerned about. Because the reputation isn't account wide, It's a whole new massive grind every time you make a new character. I imagine cryptic thinks that's a good thing, every time you start a new character, you have to do all that grind which will keep you in the game longer, but I think it's prohibitive to people making new characters. I think people say to themselves "I'd really like a sci officer now that I've built up my engineer... but I really don't want to have to go through all this TRIBBLE again." And similarly. "I'd really like to have a klingon now that I've built up my fed but..." and if you make at least one profession for each faction... holy TRIBBLE.
    I'm not of the opinion that every single character I have must have every single Rep system maxed-out. And it's certainly not required for any PvE event in the game. You can do Elite STFs with free T5 ships slotted with regular MK XI/XII gear and not have any issues. You don't need the best Rom, or Omega, or Tholian items to be quite competent in the game.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    What you said pretty much spells it out. Before Dilithium was introduced into R&D I was able to run two toons. One Fed and one Klingon. All I needed to do was grind some samples make mk XI gear for both toons. Boom done. Now I can play the game. With this rep thing I am finding myself to the point that I have to pick one over the others. Once thats decisions made the rest of my toons are getting deleted, because I sure aint going to grind that rep several times over. Not with these dilithium costs, and not with the low amount of dilithium you get.
  • Options
    mozohamozoha Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am not here to complain, but I have been here since the beginning so I feel like I have a good grasp on the game. I have 1 Klingon and 2 fed at max level and the reputation system is finished with my Feds and nearly done with my Klingon. My point is this: the reputation had become such a pain to complete and so essential to top tier play (at least pvp) that I am not sure i will even create a Romulan. Forget the dilithium, my real problem is two of my toons did not have enough exp so my progress is slowed while I earn some exp.

Anyway, I am not complaining, I don't mind it being slow or expensive, my problem is with how grindy the game has become with this aspect.

Perhaps you could allow people to gain to Romulan reputation while they level their new toons or give everyone top tier status to begin with so we can immediately start investing dilithium into gear. Like I say, I am not complaining nor do I want something for nothing I guess I would just like to be inspired to play a Romulan and not deterred by the thought of completing the Romulan reputation from scratch.

Just 1 perspective.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'm not of the opinion that every single character I have must have every single Rep system maxed-out. And it's certainly not required for any PvE event in the game. You can do Elite STFs with free T5 ships slotted with regular MK XI/XII gear and not have any issues. You don't need the best Rom, or Omega, or Tholian items to be quite competent in the game.

No, the reputation isn't absolutely necessary, you're right. But still, it feels pretty lame that the grind is so massive that one wouldn't want to do it on every character. I think the grind should be reduced so it's not a big deal to complete it on every character, or it should kind of be like your own personal little fleet investment that goes for your entire account. It's a big bad grind, but once you're through it, all your characters benefit.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Even if they made it account wide, that would be a huge burden off my shoulders as a player, because like you said, you could invest into it. The other thing to consider is when, and they have already talked about it, raise the level cap. How many people are going to go through the new rep on all there alts again. I would wager not many. I like my ideas but I would settle for account wide.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    You know, something else that strikes me as something that could be really helpful in regard to the rep system is if rep points like omega points and romulan points were account bound rather than character bound. So if I mostly play my fed tac, for example, the points I build up on that character above and beyond what he needs for his equipment and completing reputation could be used by a new romulan character or my klingon. If they revamped the system that way, I think it would be really helpful.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well... IMO the Fleet/Rep system (including costs) was the first good idea Cryptic has had since Season 4.

With it came:
    • Money sinks
    • Choice and consequence
    • Premium gear
    • Goals to work for
    • Personalized characters.

Its really too bad that you (OP) don't like it, but I for one support it, and like it to stay.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

You can also complete Elite STFs by doing 2k DPS but at some point you are mostly leeching. I'm not saying we are there yet, but with every reputation system (with passive and active powers) the gap gets bigger.

I guess it's inevitable that all MMOs will become more and more like WoW. At least they could make reputation gear account bound too.
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i've won the CE 1st place several times with fresh 50 toons with normal T5 ships and blue MK XII equipment. without a point in the existing reputations.

just to play the PVE part of the game, you do not need to do the reputations.

i like the system of opening mission content when reaching a tier in rep system, and i like the opportunity to gain new tech.

what i dislike are the 20's stackings of needed commodities. they could easily make it 500 or even 1000.
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    duaths1 wrote: »
    i've won the CE 1st place several times with fresh 50 toons with normal T5 ships and blue MK XII equipment. without a point in the existing reputations.

That's because you can get the first place in CE by taking damage on purpose and only healing yourself. It's not a DPS race.
    what i dislike are the 20's stackings of needed commodities. they could easily make it 500 or even 1000.

At least commodities stack to 250. You can't stock up on shield charges, hypos, power cells and regenerators without taking up most of your bank space.
  • Options
    projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

You've completely missed the point of the reputation system, it has nothing to do with being a "long-term" anything. The real purpose is to sucker people into "paying 2 win." Or have you forgotten about how screwed up the drop mechanics in STF/ESTF were?
  • Options
    projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    That's because you can get the first place in CE by taking damage on purpose and only healing yourself. It's not a DPS race.

At least commodities stack to 250. You can't stock up on shield charges, hypos, power cells and regenerators without taking up most of your bank space.

So in CE you place first baking damage? Is that why I keep seeing video of people who look like they were thrown under the "bus" flying into stacks of crystals?

All stackables should be 250+. The stack sizes are artificially low to motivate players to purchase inventory slots. Of course if Cryptic wasn't so foolish they would make inventory expansions unlocks (and doff expansion unlocks) account wide and then people would be hard pressed NOT to buy them so long as the costs weren't ridiculous (good luck with that).
  • Options
    buzzoutbuzzout Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited April 2013

This is precisely why I and many members of my fleet that I've talked to have no intention of starting a romulan toon. Everything requires monumental amounts of dilithium and the 8k cap is ludicrous. Star base, Embassy, fleet gear, rep system...it's all just too much.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Like many I was angry and upset when this system was put in the game. So my feedback here will be simple and to the point. I gave it a try, so got up to about tier three, and needed a piece of gear. Cost 15000 dilithium, almost twice the amount you can refine in one day. This was only mid way through the reputation system.

Feedback request remove dilithium cost from the reputation system for subscribers and lifetime subs. This is insane at this rate no matter what alt or toon I make I hit vice admiral and I am done due to the excessive dilithium costs.

Before I completed all five of the Omega tiers, I shared your sense of anguish and mentality. After I completed all five of the Omega tiers, I find myself on the other side of the argument. Since I have invested heavily into resources and grinding, I think the reputation system should stay in its current form. Changing the reputation at this point would take away the efforts, which many people put into the system. Its a little too late now.

When I was confronted with the high dilithium requirements, I ended up spending zen to boost my resources. I am a casual player, so I do not have a lot of time for heavy grinding. Whatever I could not afford one way (time), I had to compensate in another way (zen).
  • Options
    theodrimtheodrim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    buzzout wrote: »
    This is precisely why I and many members of my fleet that I've talked to have no intention of starting a romulan toon. Everything requires monumental amounts of dilithium and the 8k cap is ludicrous. Star base, Embassy, fleet gear, rep system...it's all just too much.

...or you could just do what most players with half a brain do, and don't have problems with dilithium. Use your other slots to roll up alts, leave them with exchange-purchased greens and blues and quest rewards, and use them to grind dilithium. Buy zen with that dilithium on the exchange, transfer it to your account balance, then use that zen either for relevant C-store purchases or to buy dilithium (at the same exchange rate, nonetheless) on your main.

Hitting 50 with a toon is no problem, and neither is hitting the dilithium cap on an alt and transferring that sum to your main via the exchange.
    Somebody getting uppity about canon? No problem! Just take a deep breath, and repeat after me:

Spock's Brain.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    buzzout wrote: »

I find myself debating what profession of a romulan to make... I really don't want to blow it by going with the wrong profession and regretting it later. I"m leaning toward the default tac... but with these new traits and whatnot, engineers and scis may have become more competitive so... bleh.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    Before I completed all five of the Omega tiers, I shared your sense of anguish and mentality. After I completed all five of the Omega tiers, I find myself on the other side of the argument. Since I have invested heavily into resources and grinding, I think the reputation system should stay in its current form. Changing the reputation at this point would take away the efforts, which many people put into the system. Its a little too late now.

When I was confronted with the high dilithium requirements, I ended up spending zen to boost my resources. I am a casual player, so I do not have a lot of time for heavy grinding. Whatever I could not afford one way (time), I had to compensate in another way (zen).

Well of course those who have done the grind on several toons won't want it to become account wide, but they could find some way of making it work... making the one grind nearly the same as the grind on several toons, or they could find some prorated refund to give for having done the grind before the switch... ec invested-dilithium given by the grind to find some number. Or perhaps some special bonus item given to characters who invested in the previous grind... I dunno. But yeah, you don't "need" reputation on every character, so I'm not overly concerned about it, but I'm wondering what the point was of making this massive grind per character... did they want to provide some separation between alts and mains making it prohibitive and expensive to fully kit out a new character? Is it just one massive sink? Perhaps they decided that instead of making it harder to get to 50 to just give you a massive grind after you get there to fully flesh yourself out.
  • Options
    kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My quip about all of this is that people seem to think that you are suppose to unlock everything in the store RIGHT F***ING NOW!! And if they don't have it right now, then the system is broken and needs to be fixed.

I have had NO problem getting any of the reputation equipment or unlocks I needed. Why? Because I expected it to take a while. I wanted to get the Romulan Singularity Harness set. I looked at the rep, and then said "Ok, this will take me a week or two to grind out." And by the end of two weeks of casual playing and enjoying the game, I got the Dilithium and the Rommie Marks to complete each project. That was it. I didn't struggle. I didn't whine. I just had my expectations and i met them.

You are not suppose to have everything handed to you. It actually FEELS good to most people to work towards a goal over a period of time and then achieve it.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    linyive wrote: »

I would do that, but I don't share the view that Zen bought with cash money is less valuable than Dilithium bought with time. There's not much propping up the value of Zen, especially when so many people seem willing to practically give it away. Dilithium on the other hand is used for so many different things it's being overvalued in my opinion.

But Cryptic seems to be humming along the way things are, so I'm probably a very minority minority. If the cash flow starts to dry up, I'm sure they'll make adjustments.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek