What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romulans don't speak like Romulans

13»

Comments

• jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    daroska wrote: »
    Honestly, it reminds me of the British Empire's colonies turning into 'amurica.
    You go from the stern, regal, intelligent Romulan Star Empire conservationalists-
    To well: Romulan Republicans. It just doesn't have that same amount of finesse.

I suppose the change should be expected, what with their new stance on things.
    But still, I don't have to like it. My preference was that older, darker, even charming side.
    It felt somewhat different to the personality of humans- more appropriate for aliens.

::rolleyes

Indeed there would be change but it would take longer than a couple of decades, at the time of independance most americans would have probably sounded very british. Of course there is no concluisive proof of this.

There are fine examples of Romulan speak on Holodeck, Commander Mivek and the Romulan officer at the end of the Mountain Path mission on New Romulas (second rep. tier mission I think.)
  • grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok... I gave them the benefit of the doubt....

But with VOs added its even worse than before for me. Its one thing to read some bad text.... but to be forced to hear it outloud...

I am referring mostly to Tovan and his street slang, colloqualisms.

He doesnt talk to me like he should a commanding officer and uses in appropriate idioms.

For example at one point I am giving the order to attack and he has to butt in and say "You know the drill". Not Romulan and not the way someone would speak to their captain.

Tovan's VO detracts from my gaming experience
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You're expecting someone who is explicitly not a solider, or even a member of the colony's militia, to talk like a disciplined officer?
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I also believed that the dialogue didn't sound Romulan at first. Until I started meeting the Tal'Shiar everywhere. The further I progressed in the stoyline the more I thought it was appropriate. Now all we need is to be able to test the missions past level 30 :)
    Dahar Master Qor'aS