test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Friend Experiencing Crash Issues

I have a friend who just recently joined STO, and he has been experiencing problems. According to info he told me on Skype, he tries to enter the Vegas System. When he gets to the portion where he must beam down, he crashes. He ends up with the following message in a log:
Initializing...
Attaching to crashed process...
Harvesting data from crashed process...
Mode: Customer
Communicating with Cryptic Error Tracker...
Terminating crashed process...
Sending Diagnostic Information...
Cleaning up...
Cleanup Complete!
Waiting for description...

He claims that STO is running smoothly, but it keeps crashing for him.
Post edited by geosword on

Comments

• arcticukitsunearcticukitsune Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hmm...Ya. Mostly correct. Everything ran smoothly so I'm not sure what to believe or think. I was able to move around and do things properly. Nothing really bothered me except for the lacking phaser sounds and the crashing to the ground or similar in the Vega(s) system.

1) Phaser sounds didn't activate, and I'm pretty sure it should of. Or maybe they don't in tutorials.

2) Crashing when beaming into the ground once I gathered a way-team or similar. Not sure if it was "my" ship or the ground. Was too quick. It crashes at the loading screen almost 2-3 minutes in.

----

The first loading screen went fine, so did the second in tutorial. The third one (or maybe the 7th or so after the mini-ones) loading screen to the ground just crashes my client out-right.

----

Looks like either my computer doesn't want to run it or STO just doesn't want me to play. I did everything, wasting precious hours on it trying to make it work. I reinstalled, varified, fully patched it and etc. Even did what the Customer support told me to, to no avail.

I'm going to assume there is a "fail-safe" somewhere causing it to crash at the Vega loading screen so it wouldn't kill my computer outright, or my comp and STO just don't like one another.

(XP Home, 2 gigs ram and ASUS EAH4850.)
  • sean47933sean47933 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm having the same trouble, at the exact place as arcticukitsune. Mine crashes at 42% in the loading screen after the fight in-ship with the Borg (immediately after beaming out toward my own ship); I tried remaking my character and starting over to no avail, but haven't tried a reinstall yet.
    I'm running a Lenovo W530 with:
    Win7 Enterprise x64
    8GB of RAM
    Quad-Core Intel i7-3720QM CPU @2.60 GHz, with Hyper-threading
    NVidia Quadro K1000M GPU

Given the difference in our systems, and the fact that yours should meet the min spec, I'm guessing a recent patch broke something.
    Specifically, the crash report for me gives:

"17 Client[0 [NOENT]]: GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()"

(my first crash report gave something similar, but with "42" in place of "17" and "[character name]:[username]" in place of the "NOENT")