test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No Country for Solo People

astimingpyleastimingpyle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Academy
Well, I ran out of missions I can solo.

All that is left is a pile of missions which require other players to some degree.

I am not sitting in any que. I have no patients to waste my time in hopes that other players will soon join a que.

I'm not doing any missions that are destine to failure because there are not enough players in the "zone" or "instance" to fight effectively along side with.

I know I have no real complaint here, as this is an MMO, and as such, it's not designed for players who like to solo.

Guess I'll try leaning hard on Doff missions and flying around exploring random systems to level up to some point that opens more soloable missions for me.
Post edited by astimingpyle on

Comments

• sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Foundry missions (there are at least 800 )
    Live long and Prosper
  • astimingpyleastimingpyle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    Foundry missions (there are at least 800 )

Hmmm... Maybe I'll look into that.
    Thanks
  • oldkirkfanoldkirkfan Member Posts: 1,263 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You've done all of the Foundry missions? I will not suggest joining a fleet to do STF's, since I hate that "Cookie Cutter" response. My fleet is called "ASPD" an acronym for Anti-Social Personality Disorder. Can you gues why...lol.

I've seen your name around STO for a long time, and know you are not new.

Have you thought about creating your own Foundry missions? Someone with your experience and knowledge about ST could bring a lot to it. Even if you did choose to "go in" with another author. There a many out there who would be more than happy to help you, or anyone create missions.
  • latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am not sitting in any que. I have no patients to waste my time in hopes that other players will soon join a que.

You have a poor understanding of how these things work. Some ques will pop immediately, depending on which one you choose. I never wait more than 1 minute for a starbase 24 que for example. There are PLENTY of players that que for this mission.
    I'm not doing any missions that are destine to failure because there are not enough players in the "zone" or "instance" to fight effectively along side with.

The instance only starts if there are enough people playing it, so there will always be a 'minimum' number of players to complete it. Fleet actions like starbase 24 have no trouble getting completed. STFs will depend on the quality of the players.
    I know I have no real complaint here, as this is an MMO, and as such, it's not designed for players who like to solo.

Guess I'll try leaning hard on Doff missions and flying around exploring random systems to level up to some point that opens more soloable missions for me.

90% of the missions in the game are 'soloable'. Being an MMO, there needs to be some content that is group oriented. Be glad that there is a large chunk that is not.
    edited April 2013
    oldkirkfan wrote: »
    You've done all of the Foundry missions? I will not suggest joining a fleet to do STF's, since I hate that "Cookie Cutter" response. My fleet is called "ASPD" an acronym for Anti-Social Personality Disorder. Can you gues why...lol.

I've seen your name around STO for a long time, and know you are not new.

Have you thought about creating your own Foundry missions? Someone with your experience and knowledge about ST could bring a lot to it. Even if you did choose to "go in" with another author. There a many out there who would be more than happy to help you, or anyone create missions.

I joined the STO forums Jan 13, 2013, that's just under 3 months. Is that really a long time?
    I mean, I suppose if one were to play 8-10 hours a day, maybe it is, but my character is Captain level 37, and there is plenty I haven't seen in this game. I don't feel like I've been playing long, and I still feel fairly new at this.

No, I've not done any of the foundry missions. It never occurred to me to them until sollvax above suggested it. I'll be checking it out tonight.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Why are you playing an MMO? I mean, you are aware that playing with other people is kind of the point, right?
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ...plays an MMO...complains about running out of solo content! You got to love the irony!

Ontop of it, the reasons he gives aren't even true at! Most queues are less than a minute...5 at max.
    Go pro or go home
  • allen78j20stoallen78j20sto Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Why are you playing an MMO? I mean, you are aware that playing with other people is kind of the point, right?

True, but when I joined 3 years ago STO basically said you can run solo or with other people, I ran solo for a year before joining a fleet. The main page now still alludes to that.

Now if your luck with pugs at endgame isnt the greatest and you havent found fellow members to team up with on a regular basis, solo can be the pits.

Reminds me of Terradome in a way.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/about
    edited April 2013
    latinumbar wrote: »
    You have a poor understanding of how these things work. Some ques will pop immediately, depending on which one you choose. I never wait more than 1 minute for a starbase 24 que for example. There are PLENTY of players that que for this mission.

The instance only starts if there are enough people playing it, so there will always be a 'minimum' number of players to complete it. Fleet actions like starbase 24 have no trouble getting completed. STFs will depend on the quality of the players.

90% of the missions in the game are 'soloable'. Being an MMO, there needs to be some content that is group oriented. Be glad that there is a large chunk that is not.

I'm confident I don't have a solid understanding in how these things work. Mostly, I google things I can't figure out in game. Sometimes I ask here if my google fu is weak.

I did pick up Starbase 24 as a mission, entered a que, and waited about 5 mins. Then I dropped the mission. A few days later I tried again, and still nothing happened after about a 5 minute wait. So, I dropped it again, and decided to avoid such missions that involve ques. (I know, 5 minutes is not very long to wait, but as I said earlier, I'm too impatient to sit in ques)

There are other missions, like the one that is all Borg ships, that I can't do alone, and every time I attempted them, there had been only one or two other ships in the "event" and I spend most of my time looking at count down timers to respawn. (The Borg ship one is not the only one I've seen like this) So I generally avoid these types of missions.

Yes there is a lot of soloable missions in the game, I don't dispute that, But, right now for me, other then perhaps the foundry, it's all missions that seem to call for some dependency on other players. (Or, I suppose, flying around sector space and exploring random systems.)

I'll be checking out the foundry though. That may be just what I'm looking for.
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I mean, I suppose if one were to play 8-10 hours a day, maybe it is, but my character is Captain level 37, and there is plenty I haven't seen in this game. I don't feel like I've been playing long, and I still feel fairly new at this.

I'm actually not sure it's possible to do all the normal episode missions and not already be max level, just from the amount of skill points they give. Have you really finished all the episode missions in your mission journal, through to the Undine arc?

Actually, I don't think that's possible either, just because of the level restrictions on later ones. Also, there are all the patrol missions you can get by flying up to most planets, adventure zone areas like Nukara, Defera, and New Romulus.

Add in other experiences such as Duty Officers, Dilithium Mining, Diplomatic missions, accolade hunting (if that's your thing), and Foundry missions, there's a lot to do.

As for multiplayer stuff, the non-STF events mostly all happen fairly quickly with minimal waiting, and very rarely do you have to worry about not having enough players or anything. You should really give it a try before you dismiss them.

Also pay attention to the hourly events that happen, which you can see in your mission journal. When those are going on, those particular events usually pop near instantaneously when you queue for them, and ones like the Mirror Universe event are fun and profitable from a skill point perspective when they occur.

Also keep in mind that you can do other things while in queue. You don't have to sit there and wait. You can work on your doff assignments, you can do another mission, you can run around - you don't have to stay in any one place and just wait.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013

But STO isn't an MMO
    Live long and Prosper
    edited April 2013

For me, that this game is an MMO is simply incidental. I don't play MMOs because they are MMOs, or because they are intended for people to play together. I play STO because I enjoy it (mostly), and as it so happens, it's an MMO. If Cryptic released a stand alone version of this game, I'd probably play that instead. I can certainly see how much of what I've seen of this game could be a stand alone game. But, there is more money flow in an MMO. So, here we are.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As tangolight said there are story missions that open up much later on. I think the Breen arc is like 49 or something. Also once you get to max level you open up New Romulus (as well as the entire reputation system) and can do stuff there.

Also remember that many of the queues are level banded. People up at the max aren't going to be running some events (like SB24) with lowbies. Most people are up at the max level, so once you get there queue times are almost non-existent. Well, on the Fed side anyway.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited April 2013
    baudl wrote: »
    ...plays an MMO...complains about running out of solo content! You got to love the irony!

Ontop of it, the reasons he gives aren't even true at! Most queues are less than a minute...5 at max.

You seemed to have missed the part where I acknowledge that it is an MMO, and as such, I recognize I have no real complaint.
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You seemed to have missed the part where I acknowledge that it is an MMO, and as such, I recognize I have no real complaint.

i love the irony of your post anyway...lol
    Go pro or go home
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,441 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tangolight wrote: »
    I'm actually not sure it's possible to do all the normal episode missions and not already be max level, just from the amount of skill points they give.
    Heck, my main hit 50 just after completing the liberation of DS9. There are, I understand, several arcs I have yet to hit; I've been futzing around with secondary characters, though, and haven't devoted the time it takes to get through the missions at Mol'Rihan. (I also tried to report to the contact in Gamma Orionis sector, but couldn't find the contact in that massive fleet.)

And, other than the occasional foray into Ker'rat because I was just about to level, I've been playing completely solo the whole time - the closest I've come to team action has been contributing to my fleet's starbase, because since I don't PvP I don't feel the need to have all the latest Dil consoles, so I can put the Dil into the base projects.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Solo may be your thing but if ever you need to form a team (space) pm me in game. There are some missions I could never complete for similar reasons.
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Solo may be your thing but if ever you need to form a team (space) pm me in game. There are some missions I could never complete for similar reasons.

You'll need to give your in game handle for people to contact you in game, as for most people, their forum name isn't the same as their handle. Mine for example, is @ainu. (Feel free to contact me if you want help doing missions. I love doing that sort of stuff.)
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'll just say that I've noticed increasingly solo activities in MMOs these days. I think its actually because there aren't many new good solo games these days, that MMOs end up sucking up all of them.

Having the latest hot anime about how a solo player owns several MMOs doesn't help.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    latinumbar wrote: »

This! There is no problem whatsoever with queues popping in pve. THe only latency in queue popping is in pvp. Even then, in you'll only wait a few minutes at most.

This isn't like other MMOs where you have a certain number of each type of player to start a queue. Every player and every ship is capable of doing any type of role needed. Thus, you don't sit there waiting for a DPS-class or a tank-class to queue that event. You just need 5 different players to queue the event. Even at the relative dead hours that I play (Late night America) Queues pop instantly.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
    edited April 2013
    kyeto13 wrote: »
    ...Even at the relative dead hours that I play (Late night America) Queues pop instantly.

This has not been my experience thus far.
    I'm not doubting your experience, it just hasn't been mine. It may have been a matter of the half dozen attempts I made over the past few weeks just didn't happen to "pop" quite so instantaneously, and in my impatientness, I decided to not bother with such missions.

But, it would seem others have had far better success then I. Perhaps I'll try again later and see.
    edited April 2013
    tangolight wrote: »
    I'm actually not sure it's possible to do all the normal episode missions and not already be max level, just from the amount of skill points they give. Have you really finished all the episode missions in your mission journal, through to the Undine arc?

Actually, I don't think that's possible either, just because of the level restrictions on later ones. Also, there are all the patrol missions you can get by flying up to most planets, adventure zone areas like Nukara, Defera, and New Romulus.

Add in other experiences such as Duty Officers, Dilithium Mining, Diplomatic missions, accolade hunting (if that's your thing), and Foundry missions, there's a lot to do.

As for multiplayer stuff, the non-STF events mostly all happen fairly quickly with minimal waiting, and very rarely do you have to worry about not having enough players or anything. You should really give it a try before you dismiss them.

Also pay attention to the hourly events that happen, which you can see in your mission journal. When those are going on, those particular events usually pop near instantaneously when you queue for them, and ones like the Mirror Universe event are fun and profitable from a skill point perspective when they occur.

Also keep in mind that you can do other things while in queue. You don't have to sit there and wait. You can work on your doff assignments, you can do another mission, you can run around - you don't have to stay in any one place and just wait.

Assuming normal means only missions that do not involve other players or ques, I am a captain, currently at a point where the only missions available are...not normal. Of course exceptions are those repeatable missions which I can do even though the timers are actively counting down when I can do them for premium rewards such as explore 3 unknown systems for x dilithium.

Other then those, I have quite a number of missions available which are "fleet actions," or go sit in a que.

I agree there are the patrol missions, I did mention those as something I could do in the mean time, but I referred to them as randoms because they are not handed out by contacts, they are just systems you fly into.
    edited April 2013
    khayuung wrote: »
    I'll just say that I've noticed increasingly solo activities in MMOs these days. I think its actually because there aren't many new good solo games these days, that MMOs end up sucking up all of them.

Having the latest hot anime about how a solo player owns several MMOs doesn't help.

I solo mostly because of my experience with other MMOs. I've quit so many guilds/super groups/clans because of drama. The last MMO I came from was City of Heroes which I played for nearly 7 years, and after uncountable SuperGroups falling apart because of drama, I came to realize, I can have more fun playing the game if I solo only, and don't waste any time investing in online friendships.
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am a captain, currently at a point where the only missions available are...not normal.

Yeah, you must still have some episode mission left. The minimum level cap of the last episode mission is 47, Rear Admiral.

http://www.stowiki.org/Mission:_A_Light_in_the_Dark

Keep leveling boy, you'll get there.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I see farther up the thread you're not level 50 yet, which would go some distance to explain the queue waits, and why your experience doesn't match with what people are telling you is the case.

There's three general ways queues treat levels:

Fleet actions, mirror event, and some others are level banded. You'll only be grouped with people of your rank. There are a lot of max rank players in the queues at any given time, but lower than that is spotty - most of them are doing other things to level, and few of them stay in any given rank for long.

Fleet mark missions level match to max. You can do them any level and they're pretty reliably fast queues, but the way level matching works if you're not 30-40 you'll have a rough time in the missions.

STFs, rep missions, and no win scenario are level restricted. You can only join if you're high enough level, 40+ for some and 50-only for the rest.

Starbase 24 is the first type, so unless you're in the top level band it's not a reliable queue.

Check for patrol systems, do exploration clusters, repeat missions that had good rewards for upgraded versions, or hit the Foundry for a while. The queues can be hit or miss below 50, but at 50 most of them are very reliable.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I understand the OP.

I solo because human beings are awful. Doubly awful in online games. Be thankful there's no teabag emote.

Patrols are fun. But be warned: The patrol missions are open instances. They've also been the times I've teamed up with other players and its been good fun. Other times you get killed because they're twenty levels higher and wont help you with the enemies that are now at their level. They're crapshoots.

Basically: Play the Foundry. Play the patrols and don't sweat the forced teaming. Leave PvP and the STFs to the epeen crowds. And when you run out of that, go do something else and come back in a few months. The game is long past the drought years and there will be new stuff for you to do when you get back.
    <3
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You can turn off the open team for patrols. It's on one of the tabs when you open your social settings. There should be a check box or a drop down menu to turn it off. Can't remember off hand, but it's one of the first things I turned off. Should be set to "closed team" and not "open team" if I remember correctly.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    90% of my daily activity is solo. I run a couple of STFs a day with fleet mates, and we do a starbase defense every other day or so. We have an active cross-fleet chat.

But mostly I fly around, doff all the things, run a few dilithium missions, play the exchange game.

I was happy before I joined a fleet. No reason why you can't be. Almost all of the content in the game is designed for solo players- even the "fleet action" missions in the queue. They don't require you to know anyone or anything.
  • kusaparkkusapark Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What's odd if you do the regular episodic content, you'll level up at a decent rate. I'm leveling my engineer alt just by story missions + doff diplomacy missions. He's at 44 now and about 4 episodes to go to finish the normal Cardassian storyline and then start the FE episodes. And I solo'd all the content up to that point.
    edited April 2013