124»

Comments

• sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Exactly belief in a creator God
    Live long and Prosper
  • opheliadraegonneopheliadraegonne Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Then I am fine with a chapel as long as it has a huge picture of Gene as its focus.
    edited April 2013
    Perhaps flanked by smaller pictures of key figures from trekdom
    Live long and Prosper
    edited April 2013
    I think if Kirk's face ever appeared in a shrine or temple setting it would cause Shat's ego to suddenly start oozing out of all of his orifices and he would bleed to death.
    edited April 2013
    Actually I ment the ones we have lost
    Scotty for example
    Live long and Prosper
    edited April 2013
    You mean the actors? That I would appreciate. I wouldn't want it reachable in game though, that would be odd. Maybe have it an option from the character select.
    edited April 2013
    Yes like a sort of ingame memorial to the fallen
    Live long and Prosper
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    guilli88 wrote: »
    No. There is no place for religion in the future. Religion is for those without the ability to think rationally.
    Danger, religious nutboys detected, raise shields arm all weapons.

Woowoo jocks off the starboard bow prepare to engage... :)

Religeon has no place in the Trek universe, more accurately the Federation that got over their love of the wibbly wobbly brigade. Let the Vulcans have their Surak, Klingons, Kaless and the Bajorans their Prophets but keep the Feds out of it.

Last thing I want it someone preaching to me how to live my life, I find that offensive.

Keep religeon well out of Trek, keep it out of STO.

A simple no would have sufficed. Resulting to petty insults, both veiled and otherwise, is uncalled for and horribly immature. So much for rational thought, I guess.
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't see much point for a Chapel in-game other than as an RP area.

I wouldn't mind seeing the chapel added to the TOS Enterprise ship interior pack, but anywhere else would be non-canon.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't see why the rise of science and advanced technology would make everyone atheist. You can be religious and believe in science at the same time. I think that a lot of what we observe in the universe even supports the concept of God, such as the Big Bang. I don't see how proof of the Universe exploding into existence is fundamentally any different from "And God said, let there be light, and there was light, and God saw that the light was good, and separated the light from the darkness." which to me sounds very much like the Big Bang and the formation of the first stars.

Also, in canon the Federation is a religiously tolerant entity. Which is why Rigelians and Bajorans are members of the Federation, as well as numerous other races with their own religious beliefs. I don't see how a chapel on ESD or on planet Earth would break canon at all.

But I personally don't care if they add it or not. There are much, much better places to seek spirituality than in a video game. What, exactly, does going to church with your STO avatar do for your immortal soul? It's presence would only serve to antagonize the other non-religious players.

There are times and places to pick your battles, and right ways and wrong ways to bring in converts. This would be the wrong place and the wrong way. Blind fanaticism only serves to drive other people away from the faith. Read 2 Samuel, Chapter 12 when Nathan rebukes King David. He could have been a douche and told David to his face that he was a murderer, adulterer, and filthy sinner. Instead he used a parable that brought to light what he did without offending him. So instead of the chapter ending with the King executing a prophet, the King is brought unto repentance. It's the same concept.

So yes, while I agree a chapel on ESD would be nice in some ways, if it ends up breeding antagonism and resentment throughout the community (which is the most likely scenario) it doesn't have any place being there.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I just realized.

Word of God denies religion in Trek (on Earth, anyway).

How's that for irony?
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Captains,

The forum rules specifically call out discussions of a religious or political nature as "Off-Topic" under the spamming rules.

Discussion of "fictional religion" isn't necessarily excepted from the rule, especially as some of you aren't limiting yourselves to how it's portrayed in Star Trek and are making much broader statements.

The rules regarding this are in place because countless forum administrators have learned the hard way that these conversations almost always lead to people on both sides of the debate taking offense. And they have nothing to do with Star Trek Online, therefore they are "Off-Topic".

Since most of the thread has been devoted to topics that have nothing to do with the OP, which was a request for a Starbase Chapel, I think that it's time to close it down. Not because I am necessarily agreeing with any of you, but because the forum rules are being violated.

For future reference please remember that it helps a great deal when posts which violate the PWE Community Rules and Policies are not responded to and are reported via submitting a Forums and Website Ticket (click here).

If you think any of your posts within a thread have violated the PWE Community Rules and Policies, please edit your posts before a moderator takes action.

If you feel you need to get in touch with PWE BranFlakes to discuss the actions taken by any Community Moderator, you can do so by submitting a Forums and Website ticket (click here).
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
This discussion has been closed.