Install Arc
Options

Starbase Chapel

Comments

• Options
    pokinatchapunxpokinatchapunx Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    My opinion, religon is fiction. We are over developed monkeys, with an arrogant opinon of our own purpose in the cosmos.:rolleyes:

Me, I'm agnostic in that I don't really know what the truth is. (Also, I don't really care.) But I'm more than happy to let everybody else have their own opinions, go to their churches and do their own thing so long as they are not hurting anybody. So please, let's have some chapels added to fleet starbases. It's a very reasonable request considering that there are indeed religious people in the Star Trek universe - whether or not anybody here admits it.

Here's the thing I don't get though. You clearly seem to think that you are entitled to your own beliefs and your own opinion (as do I). But at the same time you can't let somebody else have theirs? You are a hypocrite - pure and simple.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Is that a chapel, or is that a performance space (like the one in TNG where musical performances and plays would take place) in which a lectern has been set up in order to hold a wedding? As I noted previously, there were no religious functionaries on the Enterprise, the Captain of the ship performed a civil service there. There are no Starfleet chaplains. Ships counselors perform the jobs traditionally assigned to chaplains in the present day Armed Forces.

Since there are no religious functionaries in the crew, and presumably not a ton of weddings that take place onboard ship (we've only seen a handful, and only the one in Balance of Terror on TOS took place in such a room), it seems to me far more likely that some kind of performance or briefing room was set up for the civil service, than that they have a room set aside unused except when a redshirt bites it and they happen to want a military funeral in space far away from said dead crewman's family and friends.

I guess you missed the part where the Bride after losing her man was kneeling and praying.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    harryhausenharryhausen Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I guess you missed the part where the Bride after losing her man was kneeling and praying.

That doesn't make it a chapel, any more than T'Pol meditating in her quarters made that a chapel.

BridgeBOPSTIII.jpg

• Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Me, I'm agnostic in that I don't really know what the truth is. (Also, I don't really care.) But I'm more than happy to let everybody else have their own opinions, go to their churches and do their own thing so long as they are not hurting anybody. So please, let's have some chapels added to fleet starbases. It's a very reasonable request considering that there are indeed religious people in the Star Trek universe - whether or not anybody here admits it.

Here's the thing I don't get though. You clearly seem to think that you are entitled to your own beliefs and your own opinion (as do I). But at the same time you can't let somebody else have theirs? You are a hypocrite - pure and simple.

Did you read the entire thread? I stated that if the Rpers wanted one fine by me.
    Read the whole thread before you post an attack, you will look alot smarter in the future.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    harryhausenharryhausen Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There also seems to be some confusion here...weddings and funerals are not necessarily religious functions. A wedding like the one performed by Captain Kirk (not a rabbi last time I checked) is not a religious ceremony. Its a civil ceremony. I live in a state capital city. Every weekend people are married by justices of the peace and judges in the capitol rotunda. Its not a religious cermony. The capitol rotunda is not a chapel. JPs and judges are not clergy. I have a friend who's a notary who marries non-religious people all the time.

Likewise, plenty of atheists have memorials when they die where their friends and family get together to remember them and celebrate their life. It doesn't mean they necessarily believe in God or the afterlife. Its part of the grieving process.

BridgeBOPSTIII.jpg

• Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Differing beliefs is one of the leading causes (if not the primary leading cause) of war and violence in this world.

It's really depressing how often religion is blamed for the greed and violence of man.

Large scale wars are almost always about power and resources, though. Religion is injected into them as a rallying cry for the gullible, but is virtually never the root cause.

Religion is only ever a problem when you're uptight about it and/or ignore the usual messages of loving your neighbors or finding peace in yourself that most religions center on. As such a utopian Earth does not preclude religion, only the abuse of religion for personal material gain.

At my most cynical, Judeo-Christian belief systems may be phased out in favor of systems of belief more focused on self-discipline and discovery such as Buddhism, as those tend to be less about following the example of a single entity and more about oneself.

In any event I fail to see how a utopia precludes a spiritual system of belief.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Did you read the entire thread? I stated that if the Rpers wanted one fine by me.
    Read the whole thread before you post an attack, you will look alot smarter in the future.:rolleyes:

My bad. It sure seemed like you were saying they were stupid monkeys for wanting a chapel. :P
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    When it comes to a chapel, I wouldn't mind seeing one. Because the military and in places like hospitals and universities, there are Interfaith Chapels that respect any and all spiritual beliefs. And easily could see one on a Federation starship or on a starbase. (Well there was a chapel on the Enterprise).

But when it comes to religion on Earth or in Starfleet, people on previous posts said it was atheistic, but really its far from it. Because time and time again Starfleet has shown they respect any and all types of religious beliefs, which are agnostic views. The only times in Star Trek you could say is athesistic is when they challenged aliens who were posing as gods or thought to be gods.

As for "no religion on Earth", I would have to disagree. Captain Robau of the Kelvin was remarked by Abrams to be Muslim, we seen references to Native American beliefs here and there, and bunch of other moments. We even saw Christmas in Generations.

The thing is, the writers didn't really wanted to refer to mainstream religions in hopes of not offending anyones beliefs at the same time of respecting all of them to show that Star Trek, all are welcome. And that's what needs to be done in STO as well. (Seen too many religious bashing in ESD zone chat).
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My bad. It sure seemed like you were saying they were stupid monkeys for wanting a chapel. :P

No problem! My response was for a "people get upset about fictional sci-fi religons" my response was"aren't all religion fiction"We are all stupid monkeys , whose era on this planet will be far shorter than the dinosaur era. I didn't set myself apart from, or above my own analogy.:D
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There is only one thing that is truly needed for Fleet Starbases, customizable interiors. That way we can create a chapel, alien starbases, and other facilities that fit our fleets.
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am not for anything religious in STO or RL, and wouldn't contribute the resources.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I would also like to call out an IDIC fail.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    only if it's canon.

bajorans are the only real religious population left in the timeline presented by this version of ST, vulcans have their spiritual philosophy, and the only earthlings left with any kind of religion are the native peoples, so really there's none of the three middle-eastern origin religious influences left at this point because either they realized just what was completely false when first contact occurred or they left behind those notions when the generation before this one took over. Sure cisco and his father had these notions of Christianity but jake didnt and I'm sticking with that as to the reason we're really not seeing it.

If people want their own starbase to have this fine, but if it's anything else outside of their personal ships or starbases uh uh, talk about breaking immersion.
  • Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I say bring back the old ESD lounge, the one we used to go down into, nice and quiet, dark but still with a nice view.

aint a chapel, (imo there shouldn't be a chapel at all, I have a long standing belief that almost all earth religions died out when it pretty much was disproven with extra-terrestrial life and other planets.) but it is a nice place to contemplate things.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    "mankind has no need for Gods. We find the one quite adequate." James T . Kirk

"What does God need with a Starship" James T. Kirk
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    No problem! My response was for a "people get upset about fictional sci-fi religons" my response was"aren't all religion fiction"We are all stupid monkeys , whose era on this planet will be far shorter than the dinosaur era. I didn't set myself apart from, or above my own analogy.:D

I see. LOL :cool:
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    So nobody here thinks Q is real then? Just sayin...
  • Options
    preechrsapreechrsa Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would like to second this motion. Deep Space G047-C really needs a Temple of Dear Leader in it to liven the place up.
    hzzfzXc.png
    Shutup Wesley: First In Everything
  • Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    no 10 characters
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    skonnskonn Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    No, thank you.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Religion was abolished by the Federation council in 2212 unanimously. It was called the "Reason over Superstition" or "God is dead" Act. Therefore building temples on starbases makes no sense...
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    szim wrote: »
    Religion was abolished by the Federation council in 2212 unanimously. It was called the "Reason over Superstition" or "God is dead" Act. Therefore building temples on starbases makes no sense...

The Federation has MET Gods
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What does god need with a starship?
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    The Federation has MET Gods

.. and were considered to be gods themselves by less advanced species. Even Q's were very much like humans once.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    What does god need with a starship?

Don't make me shoot lightning bolts out of my eyes!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    No actual Gods not the Q (who is/are inferior to real people)
    Gods
    Apollo for a start

Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from science
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    With all due respect for whatever befalls people in real life... I really hate to see something that IRL is so damaging to relations between people, make it into a game.

So we get a chapel... Next people demand is a mosque... Then a sacrificial chamber for those who still belive in norse myth... then a temple in the mountains... then... well I could go on.

And they would be in their right to do so, since this game is supposedly aimed at all people, not just people believing in the bible.

No... real religions should never be represented in a MMO.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    mn03mn03 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm not religious myself, but why not add a neutral praying ground for all religions. I don't care if they do that. If someone wants to role-play this, be my guest.
  • Options
    guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    No. There is no place for religion in the future. Religion is for those without the ability to think rationally.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Actually Athiests died out in the 21st century

Everyone in later centuries believes in Gene
    Live long and Prosper
This discussion has been closed.