test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Starbase Chapel

Comments

• mbomberdavidmbomberdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    mehlinde wrote: »
    I would like to ask for the addition of a chapel to the Star Base, a place of spiritual understanding. Something non-dominational. Can't be offending anyone.

There have been times of grief in my real life where I retreated to sacred places in the virtual world. Seems this place could use some of the same.

Anyone else have any ideas or something to add to this suggestion?

This could be an idea for one of the featured 200K dilithium things.

I think it is a good plan. Perhaps in time they could have them scattered throughout the game. Maybe this is a bit to far out of the box, but im a funeral director in the real world and i have often thought it might be nice to have some type of in game memorial for players that have died. Im not sure how it would work exactly but it is possible to become quite close to people we meet in these online games and i think it would be good to have someway to remember them. I have a few people now that have died on my Facebook friends list, for example, and people post on there wall. Anyway your idea is a good one...
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    A shrine to Kahless in a KDF starbase is a good idea.

The federation ones are not so faithful, nor do they got a hero like him... maybe a Shrine of Kirk ?
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Maybe a generic place of meditation would work.

Nothing that highlights or aligns itself to a particular faith or deity, just a nice bright comfortable space that people could chill out in.

As a fleet project it'll be no worse than paying 200k for leaves on columns, and this place might actually see some use.
  • mehlindemehlinde Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I did say non denominational. Which would mean no symbols of any kind.

I said it in my original post. So why people are thinking it would be this or that religion can only be people not reading, not comprehending or blind to their own fervor/flavor. :eek:

Some people have said use the holodeck. That's completely fine. They even have those rooms set aside. Now what would be nice is if they were actually interactable. Of course it would take up way too much resources to make an actual holodeck. But here's an idea. How about an interact panel that changes just the scene. They could design a couple of memorable scenes that with the interact would change at your whim. It could be instanced.

I kinda liked that scene in TNG where Wesley used the holodeck when he was with that metamorph girl and they were standing on floating rocks and the whatsit aligned and created a tonal music.
  • rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Danger, religious nutboys detected, raise shields arm all weapons.

Woowoo jocks off the starboard bow prepare to engage... :)

Religeon has no place in the Trek universe, more accurately the Federation that got over their love of the wibbly wobbly brigade. Let the Vulcans have their Surak, Klingons, Kaless and the Bajorans their Prophets but keep the Feds out of it.

Last thing I want it someone preaching to me how to live my life, I find that offensive.

Keep religeon well out of Trek, keep it out of STO.
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Because time and time again Starfleet has shown they respect any and all types of religious beliefs

Oh really? See how bajorans are considered by Starfleet. Sisko's conversion is the most stupid thing in Star Trek. And it's just an incident. Most Starfleet people still think believers are people from middle age or even stone age. And even Bajorans are often depicted as simple minded believers or just self-important morons.
    Brannon Braga said that "In Gene Roddenberry's imagining of the future [...] religion is completely gone. Not a single human being on Earth believes in any of the nonsense that has plagued our civilization for thousands of years. This was an important part of Roddenberry's mythology. He, himself, was a secular humanist and made it well-known to writers of Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation that religion and superstition and mystical thinking were not to be part of his universe. On Roddenberry's future Earth, everyone is an atheist. And that world is the better for it."

I think he's a little soft here. Religion is worst than a "plague". You can eradicate a plague. Religion is more similar to a mental sickness, when you're ill, it's for life. That's why Star Trek is just fiction: an atheist future looks like an ideal world but it's not going to happen. :D
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    With all due respect for whatever befalls people in real life... I really hate to see something that IRL is so damaging to relations between people, make it into a game.

So we get a chapel... Next people demand is a mosque... Then a sacrificial chamber for those who still belive in norse myth... then a temple in the mountains... then... well I could go on.

And they would be in their right to do so, since this game is supposedly aimed at all people, not just people believing in the bible.

No... real religions should never be represented in a MMO.

I notice when you post you like to use the slippery slope argument a lot.

Slippery slope is a logical fallacy in that one thing doesn't have to or isn't pre-destined to lead to another.

Your slippery slope arguments are especially hyperbolic. Adding a chapel space, like was seen on TOS, and was done with a redress of Ten Forward on several occasions for weddings, leading to human sacrifice in STO is more than a bit far fetched.

These spaces have not been religious on the show, but did provide an important setting. Since we cannot "redress" our ships lounge or any other public space to serve such a purpose, it seem pretty appropriate to ask for a space like was seen on the shows to use for such a function.
  • vladdievladdie Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Geez, some of you are acting more bigoted than the people you are calling bigots. Grow up and smoke a little IDIC once in a while. Calling groups of people closed minded while insulting them is a little backwards in it's own way.

The Federation tolerates all religion, and in the future one can only hope that all religions have come to a point where they peacefully coexist on Earth.

Most airports in the US have a room designated as a "chapel." If you go in it, it kind of looks like a church with rows of chairs and a lecturn. But that's about it. No symbology or even writing on the walls. Maybe some open windows with a view. That's all the OP is asking for and I am fine with that.
    Barihawk.jpg
  • rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    vladdie wrote: »
    Geez, some of you are acting more bigoted than the people you are calling bigots. Grow up and smoke a little IDIC once in a while. Calling groups of people closed minded while insulting them is a little backwards in it's own way.

The Federation tolerates all religion, and in the future one can only hope that all religions have come to a point where they peacefully coexist on Earth.

Most airports in the US have a room designated as a "chapel." If you go in it, it kind of looks like a church with rows of chairs and a lecturn. But that's about it. No symbology or even writing on the walls. Maybe some open windows with a view. That's all the OP is asking for and I am fine with that.

I'm not from Planet America, stop confusing it with Planet Earth. As for bigots I refer the millions who have died throughout history who have perished at the hands of so called 'religion'. Men women children the old the infirm. Millions massacred. Thousands still die even today all religion is inherently evil, divisive, cruel and misleading.

Chapels in airports, I find that amusing, praying to the almighty in case the engines give out. Maybe thats why gamers want them in spacedock, warpcores may give out. :D
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm going to start off with this:

The thread discussing this subject is polarizing enough, in and of itself.

The devs didn't include such a structure in-game for very good reasons, and honestly, religions aside, you should respect that, OP.

If you or anyone else need some spiritual place in your life, that is fantastic and understandable... but you shouldn't be looking for that in a virtual reality. And asking for it not only places undue stresses on the dev team but I think sullies the premise of one's own spirituality a bit.
    I am not trying to offend, mind, but trying to point out why such a request may not be the wisest idea.

For many different reasons, but most prominently the respect of not just religion (of any kind) itself but for respect of Trek and the idea that Roddenberry had in mind for it, I will have to emphatically say "no".
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Star Trek IS america in the future. It is Space USA, built on USA ideals and society.

Still, the only religious sites I can think of are for vulcan meditation or Bajoran Prophets, and of course Kahless for the Klingons.

Though I think Q deserves a temple to his awesomeness :)

Anyway, I'm off to pray to great Chtulhu.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've moved this to the OT forum so you guys can continue to discuss it. Please keep the discussion civil so it may continue.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think it'd be a nice addition as a special project for Starbases, even if it's just basically a C&P of the Temple on Bajor or DS9.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    I'm going to start off with this:

The thread discussing this subject is polarizing enough, in and of itself.

The devs didn't include such a structure in-game for very good reasons, and honestly, religions aside, you should respect that, OP.

If you or anyone else need some spiritual place in your life, that is fantastic and understandable... but you shouldn't be looking for that in a virtual reality. And asking for it not only places undue stresses on the dev team but I think sullies the premise of one's own spirituality a bit.
    I am not trying to offend, mind, but trying to point out why such a request may not be the wisest idea.

For many different reasons, but most prominently the respect of not just religion (of any kind) itself but for respect of Trek and the idea that Roddenberry had in mind for it, I will have to emphatically say "no".

I agree with this post whole-heartedly.

I will add, that as an ordained minister, I entirely respect and promote the freedom of, and the freedom from religion. While I respect the choice of atheists, I find the condescension and dismissal of the religious to be utterly shameful and hypocritical. Given that today is a Sunday, I shall make my first online sermon, and I shall make a reading from the Holy Qur'an:

"Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds,"

Let us consider those words. Not Lord of the World, but Lord of the Worlds and how it fits with the mission statement of Starfleet:

"To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations..."

May peace be upon you all :cool:
  • harryhausenharryhausen Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    For the umpteenth time, weddings are not necessarily religious ceremonies. The fact that people get married in Star Trek does not mean religion still exists. The fact that they get married in a room with a lectern does not make that a chapel. There have never been any clergy depicted in Starfleet. The Federation weddings we have seen have all been civil ceremonies. They have nothing to do with religion.

And as far as 'non-denominational' goes, I find it interesting that these 'non-denominational' chapels all have a lectern up front and rows of seats. Meaning, they're designed like small Protestant Christian churches. They aren't designed like Roman Catholic chapels, or Eastern Orthodox chapels. They look a little like a synagogue...maybe...at least an American one (whose design was highly influenced by...that's right...Protestant churches). They look nothing like a mosque or Islamic prayer space.

Having rows of seats, a central lectern, and blank walls in a religiously labeled place like a chapel is a Protestant chapel. It is no less sectarian than it would be if you had rows of prayer rugs and a chanters stand instead. Or if you had a big row of Russian icons in the front. Protestant Christianity is just so ingrained as the majority religion in the U.S. that it passes for 'generic'.

BridgeBOPSTIII.jpg

• rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Seems to me there's been some confusion in this thread.

It's important to recognise the difference between religion and spirituality.

They are too often conflated, in my view.

I completely understand the importance of keeping religion out of STO. It would be divisive and polarising.

However, spirituality has been a part of Star Trek since TOS.

Whether it's the Vulcans, Bajorans, even the Prime Directive.

All of these have spiritual dimensions.

For myself, one of my favourite things to do while waiting for a mission cooldown or for the rest of my fleet to finish what they're doing, is to look out of a window.

I find looking at earth from space both calming and inspiring. Even if it is a video game.

What I'd like to see is, on ESD, a dedicated observation deck.

An area, accesible by elevator, with big windows looking down on earth with sittable seats actually facing said windows. Maybe some plants to add a splash of colour.

I know there are already windows on ESD, but there are no seats.

Certainly we need to avoid overt manifestations of religion, but we could create 'quiet' spaces where anyone can just rest and think about whatever they feel a need to think about.
  • vladdievladdie Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The rows of seats at Dallas Love are all folding chairs. I'm sure they could be re-arranged into any configuration in about 30 seconds. Or removed entirely with the lecturn if that's what the users wanted. Then it's just a room set aside for spiritual purposes.

As for the fellow who decided that the sins of the father in regards to religion deem any present or future religion be condemned, shall I post examples of the tens of millions of people killed in the last 100 years in the name of science? Quite a few shocking examples that go beyond the Holocaust and Great Purges, even, if not in terms of quantity like the aforementioned. Did you know that up until the 1960's, vivisection was a growing trend in American medical circles? Or that Project MkUltra kidnapped people and expirimented upon them? It only gets more shocking from there.

People cause these problems, and they get their rationale from their own twisted views. Whether it's religion or the expansion of science, they abused such to meet their own ends. Do not lump someone like Ghandi in with the likes of the Inquisition. It's very closed-minded.
    Barihawk.jpg
  • pokinatchapunxpokinatchapunx Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    mehlinde wrote: »
    I did say non denominational. Which would mean no symbols of any kind.

I said it in my original post. So why people are thinking it would be this or that religion can only be people not reading, not comprehending or blind to their own fervor/flavor. :eek:

Because people are ***hats and don't believe in live and let live. They believe that unless you agree with them, that you are an ***hat. Seriously though, you hit the nail on the head; they are ignorant to their own biases. :rolleyes:

Being agnostic myself, in my experience, atheists are far more likely to impose their beliefs on me than religious people. ***hats, all of em! :D
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    For the love of Q...this thread is going to get ugly real soon....this is not Zone chat :mad:

How did ESD zone chat end up in the forum?
    :eek:
  • pokinatchapunxpokinatchapunx Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I just started a DOFF mission called "Host Multicultural Religious Symposium". :D
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am so utterly confused over this thread now...

First, we have people asking to include a nondenominational chapel SOMEWHERE in STO so that there can be a place of peace and quiet reflection.

My Response: This is a game. Not a life simulator. If we want to include everything in real life in here, lets start with a functional toilet on the bridge.

Second, we have people are saying that adding such a feature would be insulting or demeaning to them because they are not religious or spiritual.

My Response: Just because the add something into the game does not mean you have to participate or acknowledge it. Just ignore it like everyone ignores Risa and Andoria.

Third, we have people saying that this will conflict with canon because everyone in the Federation is atheist now since warp flight.

My Response: Religion hasn't gone away in the entire existence of our civilization. While the numbers, beliefs, and cultural significance may fluctuate, I don't see religion being completely wiped out in the 22nd century. Heck, some top end scientist who study and teach biological evolution, cosmology, and other subjects actually have a deeper faith in the divine after reaching out to it reach science. I mean, Come on, look up to the starry sky and you can't help but feel awe and wonder. Sometimes, that awe and wonder is religion, sometimes scientific, sometimes a weird mix of both. I have zero issue with some poor redshirt praying for his safe return when he beams down to a strange planet alongside Kirk. Nor his families eventual memorial service at his hometown church.

Fourth, we have RPers who want a chapel of some sort to hold ceremonies in during their roleplaying.

My Response: Improvise. Use your Imagination. Having everyone stand around in shiny white diplomatic dress uniforms, even if mismatched tends to lead to an atmosphere of ceremony.
    Example of my Promotion Ceramony in FleetOps You don't need a to ask Cryptic for everything you need for a good RP. 80% of it is your imagination.

and Finally we have people saying that they will refuse to contribute to such a project.

My Response: Good, No one asked you too. I never contributed to the Tribble project on my starbase... and looked what happened.

That is all. Thank you, and good night.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • opheliadraegonneopheliadraegonne Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    "Good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil?that takes religion"

Actually I think specifically it takes dogmatic thinking, something even atheists can be guilty of. As an atheist, I know a lot of dogmatic atheists who are just as much jerks as some of the worst religious folks I have met.

However ; religious folk are far more prone to dogmatic thinking, and religions have very damaging dogma. And before anyone points out Buddhism as an example of a benign faith ; http://www.dvb.no/analysis/popular-buddhist-racism-and-the-generals%E2%80%99-militarism/23595

A belief you are doing God's work, or the service of whatever divine power in the universe, simply makes you feel that your hatred is in the interest of that supreme power.

A belief in no supreme power at all means you are forced in general to be more critical of those beliefs as being human based and not divine, and it means there are more people to call you out on your ignorance and irrationality rather than enable it and follow you blindly.

"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do."

People are naturally wired to be bigots, that is fact. Having a religious belief system makes us think that hatred is divinely influenced, and we will follow others who say what we want to hear as the word of God.

A peaceful and organized world like the Earth in Star Trek simply has no place for religion. The xenophobia it would enable would make forming the Federation impossible.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Theres a very nice temple on new romulus (bit of a fixer upper)
    Live long and Prosper
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Just add a function room for RP, including as a chapel.

I just presumed that in the future people believed in their gods , rather than having organised religions. More sense that way.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Danger, religious nutboys detected, raise shields arm all weapons.

Woowoo jocks off the starboard bow prepare to engage... :)

Religeon has no place in the Trek universe, more accurately the Federation that got over their love of the wibbly wobbly brigade. Let the Vulcans have their Surak, Klingons, Kaless and the Bajorans their Prophets but keep the Feds out of it.

Last thing I want it someone preaching to me how to live my life, I find that offensive.

Keep religeon well out of Trek, keep it out of STO.

I don't know whether I should be offended or if I should just laugh.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
    edited April 2013
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
    edited April 2013
    sander233 wrote: »

Commenting on how a world that developed semi-convergently has just now found Christ does not mean that Kirk believes in him. Considering Roddenberry was one of the primary writers of that episode, it was more likely intended as an anthropological statement than an appreciation of them finding the right God.

Also ; commenting on religious beliefs in the TOS era means little in the TNG and later era. TOS was far closer to the founding of the Federation. Mankind had seen less of the galaxy and the Federation was still mostly humans. This game takes place post-Voyager/TNG and thus we should focus on religion as it is presented in these shows.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Lt. Hikaru Sulu: May the Great Bird of the Galaxy bless your planet.

Religion is endemic in trek
    ALL major characters have faith
    Live long and Prosper
    edited April 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    Lt. Hikaru Sulu: May the Great Bird of the Galaxy bless your planet.

Religion is endemic in trek
    ALL major characters have faith

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Great_Bird_of_the_Galaxy
This discussion has been closed.