test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crazy Idea: give Romulas NO choice, force them to join KDF

2»

Comments

• tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Honestly, I doN't want romulans to join the KDF. It would not make sense in character, and power gaming wise it would lock me out of a lot of fleet goodies.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    spork87 wrote: »
    nope, and for a few reasons i can think off of the top of my head. Following the destruction of Romulas the Klingon Empire invaded and slaughtered many Romulans. Also lets add to the fact that Romulan's hate Klingons, that has been a constant for 100+ years at this point.

The Romulan stratagy is also to side with who is stronger, they are survivalists and the Federation is in a much stronger position right now than the Klingons. Let's also consider the Unification of Vulcan's and Romulan's this is a current agenda of the new Republic so why would they cast aside there long term goals?

As for world PVP no thank you, I have no interest in open world PVP, how would you implement it, that you could attack on sight? I'm sorry but nope, and the other method is manually flagging for PVP which also won't work people don't tend to flag themselves, and Cryptic will not make another server just for PVP to occur you can keep dreaming though.

Also lets not forget that as much as the PVP community likes to think, the core of the game is not centered on PVP, its on grinding things, and grinding is PVE not PVP. Most players strictly do PVE content as well so balancing the game around PVP is a terrible idea.

In the end there are far more reasons why no Romulan would ever wan't to work with a Klingon than with one.

We already have open-world space PvP. It's called Ker'rat, and it actually works fine except for the bugs that Cryptic refuses to spend the resources to fix (restart-spawning at the same spawnpoint, glitchy Borg, etc). PvPers who look down their noses at Ker'rat need to get over themselves, Ker'rat is fun. . .more fun than sitting around waiting for boring PvP queues to pop so you can pew-pew for 10 minutes in a 5v5 match.
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • kaiserhawk16kaiserhawk16 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This is a stupid idea, and you should feel bad.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    zerobang wrote: »
    So Cryptic fears that if they make a 3rd faction that they will end up like Klingons with a 18% or less playerbase, and KDF queue numbers would even suffer from a 3rd Faction (makes no sense, the Klingons that are here are not going anywhere.)

OK

lets push ALL Romulans to the KDF side of things -> then we have maybe two 50% factions and finally can look more into KDF C-Store items and an Open PVP war might actually be feasible by player numbers.

/discuss

I don't think you understand where the players that will roll Rom alts come from. I'm sure the Rom "faction" will attrack a few players, but long term I'll be the same playerbase we have now with a slight bump. Almost everyone I know will roll a Rom alt if only to see new content. I know I plan to replace my sci with a Rom sci just for kicks, but as you see, my getting a rom alt des not actually increase the playerbase. Heck, making KDF rom alts may be a way to get people to finally get around to making that KDF farming alt they've been meaning to get....
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    FEDs will get C-Store / Elite Fleet Warpcores soon enough, greed for money and greed for power creep will make it happen sooner than later. Romulans are just the first to get that Slot. In Fact Geko has already tweeted stuff about Warpcores.

And no... i don't see a reason why FED or KDF Faction players need Romulan Ships... that makes as much sense as handing a Galaxy or Odyssey Class to the Klingons or a Bird of Prey to the FEDs.

Or giving D7s to the Romulans...

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Enterprise_Incident_(episode)
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • theofficialmip#7339 theofficialmip Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    In my opinion that would suck the big one. :D

Just roll two Rommies! That's my plan ;)
    One of the 0.7%ers Markus Urelious 16000+ Accolades [Fed Tac FA] + Several More
    Forum Member Since Feb 2010
  • daroskadaroska Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Would be nice for the fresh reinforcements, new content and to allow Cryptic to actually focus on the Imperial Empire..

But I suppose the Mol'Rihan Republic deserves an equal chance to have a faction away from the festering swills in the Federation.

Even if that'll take time to wean itself away from the Defense Force/Starfleet's support- after further updating the player content.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    OP, it is increadibly selfish to treat Romulan players as commodities to boost your faction's numbers. As it is the Romulans have been butchered to make them fit into the dual-ellegiance structure Cryptic has forced them into. The Romulan faction is already a blatent 'stealth' upgrade to the KDF and Feds by giving them access to Romulan ships, BOFFs, weapons etc instead of a proper Romulan Faction meant to stand on its own. We don't need to take away one of the oen things (however limiting and insulting it may be) for the sake of padding out the numbers of the KDF playerbase.
  • game5pockgame5pock Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Crazy Idea: Give Romulans and the KDF NO choice, force them to join the mighty Federation!
  • adon333adon333 Member Posts: 304
    edited March 2013
    That is a really great idea, and makes sense not only in game <pvp, sub numbers, playerbase, evening up the numbers, economy, content> BUT, it also goes along with Trek in the canonical/story sense...I.e. the Rommies and Klingons have been allies before, even been known to share technology a few times. Not to mention there ideologies are more similar than say Roms and Feds are.... Joining with the feds doesnt make any sense at all.. at least not for another 4 to 5 hundred years.

All the haters on here with there fingers in their ears screaming "Nonono, Lalala" are just predominately Fed players <obviously> who want Captain Romulan Luc Picard to fly around in his Warbird docking at ESD and role playing in Sol System. :D:):eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
    edited March 2013
    adon333 wrote: »
    That is a really great idea, and makes sense not only in game <pvp, sub numbers, playerbase, evening up the numbers, economy, content> BUT, it also goes along with Trek in the canonical/story sense...I.e. the Rommies and Klingons have been allies before, even been known to share technology a few times. Not to mention there ideologies are more similar than say Roms and Feds are.... Joining with the feds doesnt make any sense at all.. at least not for another 4 to 5 hundred years.

All the haters on here with there fingers in their ears screaming "Nonono, Lalala" are just predominately Fed players <obviously> who want Captain Romulan Luc Picard to fly around in his Warbird docking at ESD and role playing in Sol System. :D:):eek:
    Does it make sense? D'Tan is a reunificationist-ie a Vulcan sympathizer. Also keep in tone the much friendlier Romulans of New Romulus. Honestly, I'd have a harder time seeing them joing the Klingons, to be honest. It would be different if it was the old RSE, I suppose. Joining up with an opressive, violent warrior culture just seems against D'Tan's interests.

Though to be perfectly honest, the fact that we have to choose at all between these factions is complete rubbish.
  • adon333adon333 Member Posts: 304
    edited March 2013
    Does it make sense? D'Tan is a reunificationist-ie a Vulcan sympathizer. Also keep in tone the much friendlier Romulans of New Romulus. Honestly, I'd have a harder time seeing them joing the Klingons, to be honest. It would be different if it was the old RSE, I suppose. Joining up with an opressive, violent warrior culture just seems against D'Tan's interests.

Though to be perfectly honest, the fact that we have to choose at all between these factions is complete rubbish.

/ agree with the last statement. However....The Romulans of this era are still xenophobic, and warlike, and wish to regain a foot hold, and relevancy within the galaxy. Bleeding heart or not.The Federation is too smart to except them.. Klingons are more easily fooled. <Srry guys its sad but its true> Not to mention that Romulan space is SUPPOSED to be closer to Klingon space anyways.

It makes tactical sense...keep your friends close, but your enemies closer, etc. Also the Klingon Empire would be more willing to share its vast resources with the Romulans than the federation who is tied up in bureaucracy and trade agreements over each and every system and even every single planet that they hold. Sharing allocated and common wealth resources with a divisive, and obscure unknown variable of an ally is next to impossible in that posed situation.

The federation would welcome the Romulans in with open arms I am sure, but not with whole and complete military support, NOR with tactical advantages and unrestricted military compliance. There are just too many entities that have a say within the Federation for this to ever work.. whereas the Klingons have only one throughout there Empire...the Empire itself- the sole proprietor and dictator over all they survey. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • daroskadaroska Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Do remember that D'Tan is only one side of the coin with the Mol'Rihan Republic.
    Many people forget about Obisek and the Reman Resistance, whom at best are the opposite.

In ideals, I mean. Which rather defines the Mol'Rihan Republic more brutally in fashion.
    So rather them being overlogical Beetles hippy elves, they'd be more akin to eco-terrorists.

And that's ignoring the fact that the RSE-born NR-founder player could also be violently defined.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    daroska wrote: »
    Do remember that D'Tan is only one side of the coin with the Mol'Rihan Republic.
    Many people forget about Obisek and the Reman Resistance, whom at best are the opposite.

In ideals, I mean. Which rather defines the Mol'Rihan Republic more brutally in fashion.
    So rather them being overlogical Beetles hippy elves, they'd be more akin to eco-terrorists.

And that's ignoring the fact that the RSE-born NR-founder player could also be violently defined.

this my view on Obisek the same as the praetor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jwHJOU0J0s only they can find a new rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • chaytelsolverrechaytelsolverre Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'd rather get rid of PvP, frankly. If that's the problem here and all. I wouldn't have even touched a new faction but now that I can keep my nice fed starbase, I am all for it. This idea is horrible, why punish Romulans by making them have to play KDF?
  • aurigas7aurigas7 Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Romulans allied to Klingons is the logical choice to balance the playerbase a little bit. And it makes more sense from a pvp perspective. Romulan ships blend in way better than Orion or Gorn ships for that matter.

The Romulans should stay united, not split between KDF and Federation.

Lets assume they release Romulan starbases in october. Does this mean you get automatically kicked from your fed/kdf fleet ? My interest in playing Romulan (with all the associated reputation and gear grind) is dropping by the minute.
    Vorcha_forward.jpg
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    aurigas7 wrote: »
    Romulans allied to Klingons is the logical choice to balance the playerbase a little bit. And it makes more sense from a pvp perspective. Romulan ships blend in way better than Orion or Gorn ships for that matter.

This comment and others like it show a complete lack of understanding of the playerbase.

Pleople talk about adding the Romulan players to the KDF to increase its number, where are these new Romulan players suppossed to come from? We all know most Roms will be alts of current players. How many fed players does anyone think would make a KDF romulan their main? All this would do is make fed players roll yet another KDF alt, run it through the new story missions and then take it straight to KDF-Farmsville. yay, more KDF farmers, that's just what the KDF wants right?

Sure, a few romulan fans will start playing because of this but even if a huge number of them start playing how will they stay when they realize what the Romulan faction is really like? At most it'd be a tiny bump to current KDF numbers if we only looked at new players.

But most important of all, doing it that way would all but guarantee low sales of anything Romuan related as all the fed players would know not to invest anything in their remulan alts, and THAT is the real reason this can't happen.
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Personally think it is not a good idea at all.

It would have been better for them to force romulans and cardassians together as a fresh faction, rather than force romulans to join the current 2.

But would rather they could stand alone and have their independence
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    Why would any of the new romulans join the kdf?
    Less missions, ships, customization.
    Unles you force the romulans to join the kdf, the kdf will remember the "good old days of the 18%"

More dilithium. Disruptor instead of phaser. Good c-store consoles. And the FED gameplay is a bit boring (= be a good guy but please kill those 100k men aboard the enemy ships).

OP's idea is great, but it won't happen because cryptic promised the possibility to play a Fed Romulan. I know this sounds a bit ridiculous but now it's too late.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Why is this ridiculous? Both sides, Feds and Klingons are helping the Romulans building their new home. It would be a gigantic stupidity to fund the construction of military facilities if every new Romulan captain was limited to joining the Klingon side of the war.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    szim wrote: »
    Why is this ridiculous? Both sides, Feds and Klingons are helping the Romulans building their new home. It would be a gigantic stupidity to fund the construction of military facilities if every new Romulan captain was limited to joining the Klingon side of the war.

Why? Because Romulans aren't supposed to be pacifists. I'm not a fan of the "republic" idea either. It sounds like a cheap happy end.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • romulanwayromulanway Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Klingon Empire is already multiethnic society with minor native klingons
    There are find home many species discriminate by arogant Federation,it is half dead empire without identity.

Their space is best option for poor romulans in Reman Republic(yes Reman no Romulan)
    LoR should to be about rebuilding Romulan Star Empire,liberating Donatra from borg collective ,confronting Sela & madness of Tal Shiar,claiming Vulcan as new romulan homeworld...
    edited April 2013
    It doesn't really seem fair for players to have to choose KDF if they want to paly Romulans, D'Tan is a reunificationist, after all. It doesn't seem fair for players to have to ally with the federation because, after all, the KDF has a small enough playerbase as it is. Having Romulan players have a choice between the two of them isn't fair because it divides the faction down the middle, with Romulan KDF and Romulan FED being unable to build their starbases together with Rommies of the other faction, whiel being good buddies with whatever faction they ally with. Quite frankly, it's unfair to force Romulan players to choose at all, because they should have their own faction, and not be consigned to being addons to the existing factions.
  • rvlion79rvlion79 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Apart from the fact that I tied to play fed several times and deleted the character in disgust... Leveled 2 KDF aliens from lvl 6 to 50 (its a shame that after my return the 2nd character was upped from lvl 18 to 21, but made enough xp so far to have reached the 50 anyways).

The most logical course of action would seem to me is to make remans join KDF and Romulans the Feds.

This alliance between the Remans and Romulans will never last, not after centuries of having a master/slave connection.
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    More dilithium. Disruptor instead of phaser. Good c-store consoles. And the FED gameplay is a bit boring (= be a good guy but please kill those 100k men aboard the enemy ships).

OP's idea is great, but it won't happen because cryptic promised the possibility to play a Fed Romulan. I know this sounds a bit ridiculous but now it's too late.

this!

i just hope there are enough people which will join KDF with their Romulans, so that it would be easier to get into queued content (Big Dig, Breaking the Planet, and so on...)

or that Cryptic finally makes the whole endgame go cross faction (so the only difference would be the Episodes missions, PVP and fleets)
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So Cryptic fears that if they make a 3rd faction that they will end up like Klingons with a 18% or less playerbase, and KDF queue numbers would even suffer from a 3rd Faction (makes no sense, the Klingons that are here are not going anywhere.)

OK

lets push ALL Romulans to the KDF side of things -> then we have maybe two 50% factions and finally can look more into KDF C-Store items and an Open PVP war might actually be feasible by player numbers.

The former Sela - Duras connection could be used for this very well and fit nicely to canon.

And FYI: KDF Endgame is better than FED Endgame,
    they have better daily quests (more dil for doing the SAME stuff) and i take Marauding > Diplomacy any day for DOffing.

but of course that brainfart won't happen because everybody wants Elite Fleet PHASERS for their Romulans instead of Disruptors ....oh wait, that makes more sense too.

Remind me why would anyone want Romulans on FED side instead of KDF?
    If all Romulans get moved to the KDF queues the argument that their queues are moving slower would be over and i cant think of any other argument really.

/discuss

how about lets not do that.

What you ommit is the fact that a romulan faction might attract new players which never seen anything in sto because it lacked one of the principal races to play.

klingons are not attracktive as a faction. The whole Lore, Honor and tradition Proud warrior race stuff tends to annoy many people. I know it does annoy me. My klinkers are the better farmer in all aspect,s yet i do not like to play them. Because it sucks to be part of the klingon faction and get all this TRIBBLE thrown at you at every time.

And the torches. fckn TORCHES EVERYWHERE.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    reynoldsxd wrote: »
    how about lets not do that.

What you ommit is the fact that a romulan faction might attract new players which never seen anything in sto because it lacked one of the principal races to play.

klingons are not attracktive as a faction. The whole Lore, Honor and tradition Proud warrior race stuff tends to annoy many people. I know it does annoy me. My klinkers are the better farmer in all aspect,s yet i do not like to play them. Because it sucks to be part of the klingon faction and get all this TRIBBLE thrown at you at every time.

And the torches. fckn TORCHES EVERYWHERE.
    I agree. I don't like Klingons. My avatar is a Lib Borg, I've never made a Klingon char. My main KDF char is an Orion.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • fernandojimenezfernandojimenez Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Romulans will be a faction divided, forcing to join KDF is the best option to avoid that. FED is the most dangerous enemy in STO. Its just my opinion.