Install Arc
Options

fed cruisers: beams or turrets?

2»

Comments

• Options
    wirtddwirtdd Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    With all due respect, turrets build is dumb.
    Bastet
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Fire at Will is really too random to use reliably.
    It's really quite a terrible ability.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    yargomeshyargomesh Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Fire At Will is fine, you maneuver so that it hits what you want it to hit. Which with Cruiser's low maneuverability is it's main problem.

An all turret/7 turret 1 torp build is fairly weak, you'd be better using beams and learning to broadside with them. They used to be good for tanking (And might still be so with max Threat Control and +threat consoles) but now they don't do enough damage even with Rapid Fire/Scatter volley for that.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Its interesting, I did some testing recently and the turrets just did not hold up to their listed numbers. I haven't had a chance to do follow-up testing yet to see why. Even 2 beams beat 4 turrets in some cases, when they should not.
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    yargomesh wrote: »
    Fire At Will is fine, you maneuver so that it hits what you want it to hit. Which with Cruiser's low maneuverability is it's main problem.
    I do that. It's still a terrible ability. Loss of targeting control reduces it to a wide-spread tickle.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,560 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    questerius wrote: »
    It's all about balance. Full turret means you can hit anything, any time but you sacrifice fire power. If you go against small vessels or carriers this set can actually work.

Beams give more fire power, but you sacrifice the full arc advantage. You have to maneuver to use it optimal. With many cruisers moving like a tub of lard that's not easy.

I run a gimmick set using sc/chrono flux at front and turret/chrono flux rear. I find this set has good fire power and it drains enemy movement/crew. This negates some of the disadvantages of a cruiser. A good compromise.

let me restate this. I put 2 beams on and left the rest. worked out well.
  • Options
    redcardinaliredcardinali Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My Regent has advanced fleet beam banks up front and turrets in the rear. Add a Breen Rapid Fire Transphasic Torpedo Launcher at the front with TS1 and 2 and this gives a torpedo spread every 15 seconds. Also at the back is either wide-angle quantum or Breen Transphasic Cluster Torpedo. It's all about maximising forward firepower.

Of course it's still a cruiser but an RCS console helps improve the turning circle. The key being not to get into a turning circle with one's opponent (Yes I know, goes against the grain for cruisers) but to stand off and pelt them with damage.

I intend changing to a Fleet Excelsior idc.