test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

unbearable lag / rubberbanding

i have an extremely annoying problem with sto lately:

the game is extremely laggy half the time to the point of being straight out unplayable.

ping to the servers is ok, no packetloss on network layer, my pc (core i7, 12gb ram, 300gb intel ssd, ati hd5850) is definitely fast enough and my connection (35mbit up / 8 mbit down) also is more than adequat.

i have no lag-problems with other games, so i am a bit at a loss to where these issues come from.

has anyone got an idea?

odoniel
Post edited by odoniel on

Comments

• shadow29092shadow29092 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have the same problem.

STO's lags like i'm playing with a 56k modem,
    While in other games my ping cant be more perfect.

Though it was my pc, so I went en tried on a different one, No Difference.

So I figured it had something to do with the Perfect world servers.
    Tried, Rusty Hearts, Black Light.
    Also same problem.

I checked the support on both.
    And found similar lag posts all dating back around last week.
    Which is also the same time the lag made STO unplayable for me.
  • odonielodoniel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    that actually is a relieve ... so the problem actually is on (or near) the servers ...

i was going crazy tracing possible network issues (which is a real pain on a windows system if you are a unix sysadmin :P )
  • oneandonlyrecceoneandonlyrecce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The Dutch players in our Fleet have been having some problems today. Thought it might be UPC related, but it doesn't seem restricted to the ISP. UK players are fine.
  • seshahnseshahn Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I dunno if what I am getting is the same thing, but my fps is always tanking to under 5 (from 40+) randomly while on the ground. My connection is stable, my heat is cool, my ram is slammin, and it doesnt matter what graphics settings I use, pow. Game just goes to balls once every 10 seconds for 1 or 2 seconds.

Feels worse than lag T,..,T

If anyone finds a fix, plz make it well known
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    seshahn wrote: »
    ... My connection is stable, my heat is cool, my ram is slammin, and it doesnt matter what graphics settings I use, pow. Game just goes to balls once every 10 seconds for 1 or 2 seconds....
    Have you tried using a lower screen resolution...
  • seshahnseshahn Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Have you tried using a lower screen resolution...

Giving it a try, so far promising results. Still there, but noticeably (enough) less frequent, will test extensively tomorrow. In case it works, thanks. In case it doesn't, thanks anyway :P
    edited March 2013
    as the general question came up about resolution:

i had not tried that yet because:

1. up until about a week ago i could play with the exact same settings flawlessly
    2. at no time in the game is the gpu maxed out and the gpu does not even reach 50% usually

since no driver-updates or system-changes took place around the time the problem occured, the most logical conclusion was, that the problem is on server-side. either a bug or a general problem.

but i decided it could not hurt so i have tried at lower resolutions and low settings now anyway - to absolutely no avail. the same rubberbanding and freezes keep happening (while the system itself works fine - switching programs, etc. works flawlessly it is completely constricted to sto)

also i do get a lot of server not responding (but not significantly higher ping and no packet loss (?!) according to the traces even when that happens). twice now i spent several MINUTES on server not responding and entered the fleet-action very very late (once even when it was over) ...
  • jammalanjammalan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have the same problem, the game is just unplayable from afternoon til morning (my time zone is GMT+1). This started maybe 3 patch ago as i remember, it stabilized for a few days before the last patch but it's back again. And when i say unplayable it's really is, can't do 2 steab whithout lagging back all time server not responging and other issues, but there is no problem at morning. This is interesting, because lots of peapole from my country not noticing this and it's not my connection since everyting else just working fine.
    edited March 2013
    gmt+1 here too ... maybe a problem located around central europe in some way, possibly a certain line or provider, a faulty backbone-router somewhere? or a problem with an entry-port at sto for europe, this would explain why only a few people are affected ...

anyway it is annoying :( just quit the game again as it is unplayable for me.
  • drachenfelesdrachenfeles Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    gmt+1 too, massive lags/disconnections for last month or so, unless I play around 1300-1500 hours, which I can't do fequently
    meanwhile US players appear to be unaffected, EU isn't some third world or something, but in "perfect world" we just might be
  • robinphoenixxrobinphoenixx Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Several of my fleetmembers from the EU report the same issue.

No problems with their connection when connecting to internet, streaming videos or other games. So far only with Cryptic games. We keep investigating and sending in Tickets.
  • rossyos87rossyos87 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Several of my fleetmembers from the EU report the same issue.

Indeed a Big Problem i have been giving .... New Modem ..New Internet 58d/6u ...Ping @ 17-23... 109ms @ Cryptic with nettest.exe.. Stable as Hell Except for STO???

just tell me why i can Game MMO's whitout any Downs or spikes but i cant play STO normally.

I am a Fleet leader that is falling behind in work and motivation at the moment .. so you dont dissapoint only me ...but LOADS of players to because i cant GAME WITH MY FRIENDS!!!

UPC (sign) GMT+1 Rotterdam

Time 2 Help out here Cryptic ..it has been for weeks now

Grz RossyOs
  • dogmaticusdogmaticus Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have exactly the same problem. In a way it makes me happy that there's more people affected like that, because I started thinking that maybe my new PC got infected by some virus, or something... anyway - other MMO's seem to function just fine (although I did have VERY low download speed when updating Neverwinter for the recent beta).

I'm in Warsaw, so GMT+1, and this evening I honestly can't play the game... got blasted into pieces by a Reman commander 3 times... 1 because I really sucked at fighting him ;), and the other times because I didn't know the missile is coming before it hit me... not to mention his ship, and mine "jumping" in the space because of the lag... now I can't even log in.

:(
  • hiplyrustichiplyrustic Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    gmt+1 too, massive lags/disconnections for last month or so, unless I play around 1300-1500 hours, which I can't do fequently
    meanwhile US players appear to be unaffected, EU isn't some third world or something, but in "perfect world" we just might be

Until the past couple of days I had been plagued by this too...from the west coast of Canada...so it's not just a Europe thing. I feel your pain. I take each login that I don't have unplayable lag and rubberbanding as a win right now, which is a pretty sad state of affairs.

It would be great to see a post from them saying "Look, we know the problem exists, we know it isn't you and that it's us and/or our service providers and we're working on it" coupled with some theory from their network engineers as to what the problem is.
  • dogmaticusdogmaticus Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Until the past couple of days I had been plagued by this too...from the west coast of Canada...so it's not just a Europe thing. I feel your pain. I take each login that I don't have unplayable lag and rubberbanding as a win right now, which is a pretty sad state of affairs.

It would be great to see a post from them saying "Look, we know the problem exists, we know it isn't you and that it's us and/or our service providers and we're working on it" coupled with some theory from their network engineers as to what the problem is.

Amen to that... I love this game, but today i got to the point where it simply is impossible to play it. It's similar with Champions Online (though honestly it's not a big problem for me), so it seems like a general Cryptic issue :|.

And I really wanted to play one more Romulan mission before going to bed and reading Rihannsu :(.
  • drunkadmiraldrunkadmiral Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Same problem, for last 2 weeks very big lags every evening
    (gmt+2)
  • lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I did a tracert (lookup the thread about diagnosing rubberbanding/lag). Looks like that atlas.cogentco server is acting up again...

Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.belkin [192.168.2.1]
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 28 ms 35 ms 31 ms 202.128.2.93
    4 11 ms 32 ms 15 ms sw1-sw2.guam.net [202.128.2.21]
    5 184 ms 149 ms 174 ms xe-11-2-0.gw9.la.guam.net [198.81.233.66]
    6 146 ms 169 ms 173 ms ix-0-1-3-0.tcore1.LVW-LosAngeles.as6453.net [66.
    110.59.5]
    7 213 ms 148 ms 159 ms if-2-2.tcore2.LVW-LosAngeles.as6453.net [66.110.
    59.2]
    8 * 159 ms * Vlan28.icore1.EQL-LosAngeles.as6453.net [216.6.8
    4.54]
    9 165 ms 173 ms 172 ms te0-0-0-26.ccr22.lax05.atlas.cogentco.com [154.5
    4.12.37]
    10 170 ms 150 ms 150 ms te0-4-0-3.ccr22.lax01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .88.194]
    11 203 ms 207 ms 204 ms te0-0-0-5.mpd22.iah01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .0.242]
    12 233 ms 201 ms 198 ms te0-0-0-2.ccr22.atl01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .5.93]
    13 212 ms 215 ms 239 ms te0-5-0-7.ccr22.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .42.201]
    14 217 ms 238 ms 216 ms te0-6-0-1.ccr22.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.
    4.81]
    15 308 ms 270 ms 308 ms te0-1-0-4.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .6.9]
    16 271 ms 268 ms 266 ms te4-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.25
    4]
    17 * 272 ms 268 ms 38.111.40.114
    18 * 274 ms 311 ms 208.95.185.41

Trace complete.
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • neohunter200neohunter200 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have been experiencing some lag in-game too. It is at its worst when i am either at Earth Starbase, Starfleet Academy, First City or Klingon Academy. In those 4 areas, it lags until it is unbearable.

So, for now, I am avoiding Earth and the Klingon homeworld for the time being.
  • krell2krell2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have tested my PC lag problem is not on my end.

On speed test i have 118 ping too USA Atlanta and download 71.59 upload 5.86. (while downloading)

I have no problem with other games only with STO. Game is unplayable...
  • deadeyestodeadeyesto Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So here I am again, getting p***** on by Craptic once more.
    For the benefit of everybody I never wanted to use thse forums again. But hey, after wrestling with myself whether or not to bother creating a thread with a detailed discription of the issue (some of) you guys are dealing with here I figured I probably should.

A lot of people who posted here are having a rather specific connection/latency issue which I suffer from too. While some are on track as to where it's coming from, a few are rather "off track" and that somewhat "obscures" the general description and diagnosis of the issue at hand (no offence intended).

Having experienced what is in all likelyhood the very same issue with the same provider (and yes it is partially ISP related) in a different game and having some more precise knowledge on what it is I figured a new somewhat more focused topic might help both, the players affected by it, to collect/post more specific infos on it, and the company/companies to fix it.

But oh behold the great Craptic and PWE, "At this time, you may only post replies to threads (...). After a certain amount of time has passed since your registration date, you will be able to create new threads (...).

Sure, my LTS has only been running since right before release of the game so that is understandable.
    So there you go, good luck getting to the bottom of thisone, if anyone at Craptic is interested in more infos on this (yeah right, as if they would bother), feel free to contact me. More active efforts from my side are obviously not wanted.

Edit: for those truly affected by this issue (You know if you are. In that case the game is truly unplayable due to latency), the only thing you could do to circumvent the problem is getting a so called tunneling service or something functionally similar to work with/in STO, which would actually eliminate the issue for yourself entirely.
  • portosalvoportosalvo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Same problem here, GMT 0.
    I have been playing several games online and I never get above 100ms, had the same problem during the Neverwinter betas, but I just thought it was because of being in the beta stage, guess it's all Cryptic games...
  • romeowhiskey4romeowhiskey4 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Look at me defending Cryptic... but this might be the cause of the problem...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21954636
  • pandaplayingpandaplaying Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not just rubberbanding!

Ms is like 15MS! and it's LAG?!
    yes it's net lag not pc lag.. pc lag would be impossible...

Its just today that's super lag..