test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FPS Lag spikes

vegie0vegie0 Member Posts: 480 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Graphical and Sound Issues
Hi, title pretty well explains it. I am getting a rather regular FPS lag spike, it does however seem to be object dependant. The more objects the more often I recieve 4 FPS. It is so bad now that I get this unique form of UI lag every 25 seconds or so in the Sol system.

Now, I used to not have this issue, in fact it is a rather recent occurance, getting progressivly worse with each update. I use an AMD CPU on a rather cheap laptop, as my Desktop can't play the game at all despite having way more then the recomended specifications. However it is AMD as well and I am beginning to wonder if there is some kind of compatability issue at work here.

Please note that I watch the lag spikes with FPSGraph 1, and I can see that it is not a seperate process on my computer, in fact I can watch the Game Client eat my CPU, from a regular 60% all the way to 99%...

Please help, is there a setting or is this a compatiblitiy issue which will prevent me from playing the game now?

Update, a new symptom has appeared, not only are the lag spikes much more common with a Plasma Proc in effect, they seem to dedicate to it.

However, if I open the Main Menu while in game, I will go from 2-3 FPS, to 56 FPS. Then when I close the Menu, I lag again. Is my computer hungry, or is there a way to nerf the UI?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by vegie0 on

Comments

• snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Try using the reduce CPU/GPU usage setting in the troubleshooting section of the video options screen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vegie0vegie0 Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I am afraid that does not help my issue, all setting changes seem to fail, even the trouble shooting ones. The lag is looking less like a memory leak, and more like poor executables in the code. Since I seem not to eat up memory, but only to increase CPU usage.

So at this point unless somebody knows of some patch I believe I am now unable to play this game. Which is unfortunate, as I rather enjoyed it. :'(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,819 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Good luck with that issue. This game has a large collection of problems that are in no way any priority for them to resolve. If they were, they wouldn't be allowed to get pushed to Holodeck from test builds where they were reported heavily on Tribble. I definitely agree that the game code is the problem because I'm sure you can play much more graphic and CPU intensive games on both of your systems without issues.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    vegie0 wrote: »
    Now, I used to not have this issue, in fact it is a rather recent occurance, getting progressivly worse with each update. I use an AMD CPU on a rather cheap laptop, as my Desktop can't play the game at all despite having way more then the recomended specifications. However it is AMD as well and I am beginning to wonder if there is some kind of compatability issue at work here.
    Unless you've purchased a laptop specifically made for gaming, most laptops systems are only marginal in graphics performance. Integrated AMD video is superior to Intel, but even then, you can't expect miracles...

What Screen Resolution are you currently running on the STO Client? And have you tried using a lower screen resolution, such as 1200 X 800 ???
    edited January 2013
    Well I can tell you the issue is something from the Game's UI pulling a large amount of data. It litterally kills my CPU befor my GPU, so this is a coding/UI issue. This is further supported by the fact that hitting the Esc key and opening the Game's Main Menu will stop all lag. It is a miracle that seems to stop the lag dead in its tracks. However I must remain with the menu open to continue the fix. The only thing that seems affected by this is the UI, since it removes it all from my screen. So in Star Trek terms, Logic says that if the issue is not constant (it comes in pulses), and the issue is alleviated by removing certin in game elements, the issue is with some game code, not with the computer I am using.

Something is bugged, something that pulls an enourmous amount of my computer's resources. It clearly seems attached to my UI, and turning off large amounts of the UI seems to help add time to the interval of lag.

So this is not a problem with my Computer, it is the Game's code.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    yeah I agree with you there...ever since the (1/10) patch I've had FPS spikes like crazy and the only way it stops it seems is having the game menu open.

Im running an AMD Radehon HD 6450 and before the 1/10 patch, i didnt get this kind of fps spikes, especially after i grabbed the latest beta drivers off the site....so it now seems its not a probably on my end but a problem on Cryptic's end.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I just started having weird lag spikes today. Strange.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    vegie0 wrote: »
    Something is bugged, something that pulls an enourmous amount of my computer's resources. It clearly seems attached to my UI, and turning off large amounts of the UI seems to help add time to the interval of lag.

So this is not a problem with my Computer, it is the Game's code.
    I noticed that you didn't bother answering my question... What Screen Resolution do you have the STO Client set at? And have you tried running at a lower screen resolution???

And how do you know that its a coding issue, and not a hardware performance issue if you haven't tried such a simple test???
    edited January 2013
    I tried some of the settings from here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=1553393&postcount=1

and it helped out quite a bit in reducing FPS spikes and graphic lag
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
    edited January 2013
    Ok, what resolution do I run my game at, I run 1366x768 (My native resolution). Why you may ask, it is much less harsh on my Graphics card seeing as I have windows 7. Yes I disabled Windows Aero, also yes it still does matter as jumping from 1 resolution to another, say if I open Task Manager to watch my computer struggle, I will put an undue strain on my Graphics Card. Now, yes I know it is coding, as none of those people have the same setup as I do, but suffer similar problems. I have played for a while now, (over a year) and this problem has surfaced since the last few patches. That seems to confirm that Cryptic messed something up, even the Giant White Blobs of Doom that I keep seeing are showing me Cryptic is messing up. Not my computer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rayusrayus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Not sure if this is related or not, but I have also been experiencing bad video lag, and it came with Season 7. I'm using a Radeon 5770 on Windows 7 64.

It seems to be related with 'draw in'. I'm fine if I stand still in the game, but as I move around a map (particularly ground maps), the image freezes up every time new characters pop into the screen.

I've tried everything from adjusting every in game setting I can, reinstalling STO, rolling back/updating drivers, disabling background applications etc. with no success.

Other games play flawlessly, so I know it's not my hardware. I missed out on the breen ship due to this, and I'm hoping I won't miss out on the 3 year anniversary as well. :(
  • blznfunblznfun Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I just built a new computer:

2 Nvidia GTX 460s (SLI)
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus Motherboard Sabertooth z77
    i7 3770-K Processor
    16GB of 1600 Hz DD3 memory
    10,000 RPM 6/gbs velocity raptor HD
    Have used both 306.xx and 310.xx drivers and the issue remains
    950 watt PSU
    NOT OC'd
    Running game on FULL graphics / maintains 60 FPS (limited) (except as listed below)

AND I STILL GET THE FPS LAG SPIKES. I know my computer is not anywhere close to uber, but it gets the job done very well on all my games with very little cost (since I have been building this computer for the last 2 years lol)

I notice it mostly on New Romulus and it only happens when I have certain enemies targeted. When I un-target them, it goes away. It does happen elsewhere like PvP as well. The ability that makes me lag spike is mostly the smoke grenades/shroud and again, it only happens when I have them targeted and they are using those abilities. If I don't have them targeted, no FPS lag spike at all. I am dropping to around 8 FPS when this happens.

I used to have this problem with the sci ground ability "Dampning Field" or the old ground toys "Ice Grenades" that you can throw at people while on social zones when they used to put you in a block of ice.

I also have the same lag spike with all the tholians when targeted in the underground ruins.

I know its not my system because I can get 100+ FPS almost everywhere if I wanted to. I limit the system to 60 FPS for monitor hertz reasons and to avoid "tearing" and such. I don't want to have to use vertical sync as its a graphics hog.

Seems like several patches ago it was better or it might even be the way the drivers are handling poor coding. But regardless, this needs to be fixed. Its almost like the coding for some effects are taking advantage of hardware acceleration.

I had an old program Cyberlink Powerdirector 9. When the new Nvidia 306.xx drivers came out, they broke the hardware acceleration for the program and the new drivers did something differently. Cyberlink refused to correct the problem in that version and I ended up buying the latest. The bug made it impossible to create videos in its current state. When you wanted to preview from your timeline, you couldn't want video for more than a couple of seconds and then the program would have to "render". The hardware acceleration was gone.

UPDATE: This seems to have something to do with the UI... For example if the enemy disapears behind a wall or invisiible wall that shields the UI above their head (clipping), the lag disapears. Don't know if this helps.
    jeremy-t_doff_signiture5635.jpg
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
    Original Handle: the_orig_jean_luc_picard
    edited January 2013
    I will be posting a youtube video to demonstrate the lag... I will attach it here when I get it rendered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OkNf5TEfdo
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    edited January 2013
    I have found the problem. Do not use Anti Aliasing 8x. There seems to be a bug with with the aforementioned post.
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    edited January 2013
    or just antialiasing in general? both the top one and the bottom one under the performance tab
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    cynder2012 wrote: »
    or just antialiasing in general? both the top one and the bottom one under the performance tab

There is only one I am aware of.
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    blznfun wrote: »
    I will be posting a youtube video to demonstrate the lag... I will attach it here when I get it rendered.

do u get massive lag spikes when u use the mouse to look around? i quit playing sto cus the lag was bad turned all setting to off or low and it helps abit. but the game is unplayable.

im reduced to doffing cus my system cant run sto insane lag spike when using mouse to look around and when having a target selected just like in ur vid.

i find it amusing that my pc can handle crysis metro and other games like those but not sto ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    I have gotten FPS drops, more so on my older system than my new one. Check to make sure you don't have vertical sync on. This is a video hog and not needed if you FPS doesn't go higher than your monitor refresh rate. If you are using a 60 htz monitor, turn off vertical sync and under troubleshooting, limit the frame rate to 60. Also try turning off the first two options under troubleshooting as well. Framerate stabilize and auto stabilize frame rate. Poor coding doesn't make these work properly and can cause your described problem as well.
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    edited January 2013
    Correction, 4x does it too, just not as bad. I only drop to 20 FPS on 4x. Going to try turning off AA and just using FXAA in the Nvidia driver set and see how that works.
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    edited January 2013

Hey, watched your video, and yes my FPS lag is very similar. I seem to view mine more in space. Perhaps due to the different hardware/drivers that we both use. However mine like yours seems to be UI dependant, where certin UI conditions occur that cause the game to all but come to a standstill.

I hope they see your video and work on a fix soon, seeing as my larger computer can not render the game at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    The UI is VERY graphics hoggy... I know mine is also related to the UI as well as when the targets UI above their head disappears, the FPS lag also disappears. For example, in the underground ruins, there are forcefields all over around the outside of the hallway. When I rotate the camera to show behind the force fields, the UI above the target's head disappears (but they are still targeted) and the lag goes away.

And yes, to a previous poster, I still get the jitter when moving the camera with my mouse, but thats all it is now is jitter. It doesn't affect the FPS at all...

What I am getting at, with a system like mine is setup now and STO, my computer should run flawlessly playing STO. Overall, I have no complaints, but when they do occur, it becomes a playing/fun issue...
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    edited January 2013
    Confirmed something else in additon to the UI and the FPS lag. Turning off the reticle on Non-Player enemies in addition to having AA set to 4x helps some more than just going to 4x. You can find the reticle setting under HUD in the game options section by hitting ESC.

This is definitely a problem with the UI.

At this point I am going to ask for a dev response. Please, if a dev could respond here that would be great!
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    edited January 2013
    One additional thing you can do is this. If you are running Windows Vista or later...

Right Click STO Launcher Shortcut > Properties > Compatibility

Check the two boxes
    • Disable Visual Themes
    • Disable Desktop Composition
    • Click OK

What this does is put your desktop into "Basic" mode instead of Aero mode or "Desktop Graphics Hog" mode.

You can do this for all your games if you know where the main program file is.

Let me know how this works for you.
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
  • ericwtngericwtng Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I starting having the same FPS Lag Spikes at the exact same time... Starting in Early January after one of the patching updates downloaded. This has to be a UI issue which can easily be resolved. I even tried reinstalling & it still presisted... In fact, its getting worse. And yes a response from a DEV would be appreciated...! :(
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The UI is VERY graphics hoggy... I know mine is also related to the UI as well as when the targets UI above their head disappears, the FPS lag also disappears. For example, in the underground ruins, there are forcefields all over around the outside of the hallway. When I rotate the camera to show behind the force fields, the UI above the target's head disappears (but they are still targeted) and the lag goes away.

And yes, to a previous poster, I still get the jitter when moving the camera with my mouse, but thats all it is now is jitter. It doesn't affect the FPS at all...

What I am getting at, with a system like mine is setup now and STO, my computer should run flawlessly playing STO. Overall, I have no complaints, but when they do occur, it becomes a playing/fun issue...

Even when you dont lag the UI is lagging your game.Check anywhere you want the FPS with and without UI.The diffrence in fps is not acceptatble ,I mean its a UI and you use it all the time ,it should be the last thing to use all your cpu power .Lets hope the UI improvements in s8 will fix this .

p.s.Im not talking about doff ui which can turn your PC into a slideshow if you have 400 doffs
    edited February 2013
    !!...BINGO...!!

The Lag Spikes occur during a most missions involving the Borg. Especially while playing the "Borg Invasion: Sector Block Battles/Missions" I'm not sure if possibly the January Update jacked up the Graphics for the
    Cubes & Sphere, the UI or whats going on. But now I've been able to pin Point a potential Culprate
    in this situation.....

?...What are your thoughts...? :mad:
  • fudgeoflifefudgeoflife Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Perhaps due to all the balloons...? Balloon lag?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    'A few deaths are a tragedy. A few million is a statistic.'
    edited February 2013
    ! I'm being Serious !
    edited February 2013
    Perhaps due to all the balloons...? Balloon lag?

! I'm being Serious !
  • seshahnseshahn Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So, is there any fix to the godawful framerate issues that I cant seem to find any information on? My fps spikes from 45-60 to 4 and makes the game pretty much unplayable without a punching bag nearby.

Latest drivers, no overheating, more than enough hardware to run the game, and I get insane framerate hiccups anywhere, everywhere, on any graphics setting regardless of any fix usually 1 out of every 10 seconds while on the ground.

Space, I get a lot more fps generally, (starbase 24 not included >.<) but on the ground every 12 seconds for 1 or 2 seconds I get an fps drop to under 5.

I run skyrim maxed, aside from antialiasing (4x) and antisitropic (which I have at 8x) guild wars 2 on max, crysis 2 on max (dont waste your money)

and in STO I can have my settings on the absolute lowest and still have this issue, or the absolute highest, no change.

I have tried the last 2 7xxx series drivers for my ATI 7870, ensured my cooling is better than it has in ages, ran memtest86 and ensured my 16gb of ram is working properly, so please...

What can I do to play this game and enjoy how fun it is? Cuz this horrible spikey lagness fps drops are literally killing me. I would have better blood pressure sitting naked in space with 1000 paper cuts than I am getting playing this game with all this constant freeze-lagging fps. Halp D: