Comments

• lordmanzelotlordmanzelot Member Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This makes a grown man cry
    Subscribed For: 2300+ Days
  • startuxstartux Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    skonn wrote: »
    Happy now? EXTREMELY! Finally able to play as my favorite race, and my two favorite ships have been confirmed! Do I expect it to match the Federation side from he get-go? Not really. I won't even mind if they NEVER match up. Who cares? We finally got our faction.

So I'm sorry, KDF nay-sayers, I don't share your pessimistic outlook, and choose to ignore your demands and complaints, exactly as I ignored your constant "you'll never get the Romulan faction this fast" or "Romulans will be a mini-faction" ramblings.

I can honestly say I'm glad the Klingons will get more content too! Can you say the same?

Cryptic, get ready to take my money!

Don't lump the negative ninnies into the KDF, it was really a few loud trolls and not representative of a faction. Am I happy? Yes, it is beyond what I would have hoped for already and yes I will also be making a Romulan captain :).
  • theofficialmip#7339 theofficialmip Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Extremely happy!

Romulans from level 1 :D

And It looks like the KDF is going to be finished up! :cool:

I don't know what people are complaining about. Well I guess the complaints will keep coming in until Cryptic figures out a way to turn people into actual Klingons and Romulans and builds time machine to send them into the future. :rolleyes:
    One of the 0.7%ers Markus Urelious 16000+ Accolades [Fed Tac FA] + Several More
    Forum Member Since Feb 2010
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As to the people who are concerned about Number of Romulan Vessels...

While it would be up to the DEVS to actually implement these vessels into the Game, there is plenty of usable ship material out there for all Ranks to have ships

Just to list a few:

Generix Class
    Raptor Class
    D'Deridex Class
    Mogai Class (possible an upgrade to a "Norexan" Class which is featured on screen as the IRW Valdore)
    Shadow Class
    Scimitar Class
    Talon Class Scout (Captain's Yacht anybody?)
    Rhienn Class Destroyer -- Built to outperform Starfleet's Defiant Class
    Shrike Class
    Griffin Class
    Cehlaer and Eresis Class Battlecruisers
    Tavara Class -- Built with one goal in mind...Destroy the Sovereign Class and Dominion Dreadnaughts

Don't forget to add in the shuttle that's sitting on the pad at New Romulus. ;)
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Extremely happy if they have there own mission 1 to 50

semi happy if they get copy and paste like kdf

but to sum it up and quote starcraft 2 Hell, It's about time !!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Here's hoping that the awesome TOS uniforms are an option, instead of just the god-awful TNG uniforms.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Here's hoping that the awesome TOS uniforms are an option, instead of just the god-awful TNG uniforms.

easy there :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Check out the announcement thread. Overall it's positive not negative. There's a bit of caution but no outright negative posts from those who've read the site in the 5 or so pages I looked through. There's enough things Cryptic do to be negative about without misrepresenting when the community is happy. Or at least cautiously optimistic.

I'm looking forward to flying a Warbird. To Cryptic: Please add the science vessel and note there's a ship that looks like the scout ship but has a larger crew. Along with the Warbird that's the ship I'd most like to fly.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    KDF and Feds already have TOS uniforms, so It would makes sense for the Rommies to have that option as well. I'm more worried about the iconic TNG-era uniforms being absent than present, considering Cryptic's baffling decision to make the Romulan faction a seperatist 'Romulan Republic' faction rather than a proper RSE faction.

Their decision to go with "Romulan Freedom Fighters" instead of "Romulan Star Empire" has erroded much of the good will Cryptic earned when they announced a Romulan faction, so I wouldn't say I'm 'happy' - more neutral than anything, really. Hopefully we will at least get the TNG-era uniforms so I can at least pretend I am a member of the RSE and then I can just ignore all of the episodes.
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sad to say but the tears of the KDF flow like water today
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • flyingtargflyingtarg Member Posts: 105 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2013

Because the TOS uniforms did not look completely silly. :P

Then again, TNG had those shoulderpads...
    Daniel "FlyingTarg" Razza
    Star Trek Online Lead Programmer
  • cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Cryptic's baffling decision to make the Romulan faction a seperatist 'Romulan Republic' faction rather than a proper RSE faction.

Not sure how that's baffling, considering the story line up to this point.

You had the Empress working with Evil Alien Overlords. The Empire is responsible for the destruction of it's own planet. The Empress left the galaxy as we know it. D'Tan is trying to make a peaceful new government in which both Reman and Romulan can live together. The Tal'Shair are clearly interested only in their own power...

At this point pretty much everything pointed towards them doing something very much like this.
  • spacekulzarspacekulzar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Am I happy? Most certainly! I'm going to roll a Romulan on day one of that expansion! I will not rest until I fly a D'Deridex warbird! Also, I'm happy that they are completing the KDF faction at the same time.

Is this surprising? Absolutely not. Unless you have an extremely pessimistic outlook on how Cryptic is doing, this was to be expected ever since they started hiring new people after going F2P. One year and a half later, a very reasonable development time, we get an expansion! The future of STO looks pretty bright to me. =)
  • l4huz3rl4huz3r Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I just wonder if there will actually be a real RVR now that we have 3 factions. And something to fight for. If not, I just wait til they implement something like this.
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    flyingtarg wrote: »

YOUR opinion on the art styles of Romulan uniforms doesn't matter much. It's the players who are supposedly your customers, and thus your source of income. Refusing to add a uniform or ship (looking at Captain Geko) because you don't like the looks of it, does not get you any income at all.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • mirrorseacatmirrorseacat Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    cptvanor wrote: »
    Not sure how that's baffling, considering the story line up to this point.

You had the Empress working with Evil Alien Overlords. The Empire is responsible for the destruction of it's own planet. The Empress left the galaxy as we know it. D'Tan is trying to make a peaceful new government in which both Reman and Romulan can live together. The Tal'Shair are clearly interested only in their own power...

At this point pretty much everything pointed towards them doing something very much like this.

I personally think they were quite awesome, like seriously i think they looked great
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Delighted.

Now where's the Cardassian faction :D
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    meurik wrote: »
    YOUR opinion on the art styles of Romulan uniforms doesn't matter much. It's the players who are supposedly your customers, and thus your source of income. Refusing to add a uniform or ship (looking at Captain Geko) because you don't like the looks of it, does not get you any income at all.
    What, you can't recognize a post made in jest? :P
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • nefarius2nefarius2 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Actually, in the Countdown comic for the last Star Trek film there was a retro version of the TOS uniforms used. i believe when Nero was getting the Narada outfitted with Borg tech. The helmets looked pretty cool. And the TOS Romulan women much more attractive.
  • flyingtargflyingtarg Member Posts: 105 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2013
    nefarius2 wrote: »
    Actually, in the Countdown comic for the last Star Trek film there was a retro version of the TOS uniforms used. i believe when Nero was getting the Narada outfitted with Borg tech. The helmets looked pretty cool. And the TOS Romulan women much more attractive.

I'll have to check that out, I'd like to see that. Thanks for the tip!
    Daniel "FlyingTarg" Razza
    Star Trek Online Lead Programmer
  • daytonamaxdaytonamax Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Well frankly, there were many "silly" things in TOS. I mean the Feds wore pajamas to duty. :P

but really, the helmets!
  • ltsmithltsmith Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Romulan Fleet Starbases I wonder what they would look like can't wait.
    edited March 2013

I really hope this isn't an indication that you are writing off the TNG-style romulan clothign aesthetic. I would hope that you will at *least* include the STO updated gray uniforms worn by the Romulan military Personnel. I will be sorely disappointed if I can't play a Romulan that at least looks like a Romulan, even if they are part of some 'Romulan Republic' instead of a proper Romulan Star Empire faction.
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Okay, I'll give you that the helmets are a little silly, but I think that has more to do with material than anything. Other than that, the only thing worth mentioning is that the fabrics are dated. Again, materials.

But the way Roman togas translated into the shoulder drape is awesome. I mean, come on. Which is more commanding? A Vulcan in a clearly Roman-inspired uniform, or Moe with '80s shoulder pads?
  • picard99picard99 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I just keep wondering which faction gets most shaft, fed or kdf or neither.At least CE fleet action is coming back (i hope), but that still leaves all other removed content...
  • daytonamaxdaytonamax Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ltsmith wrote: »
    Romulan Fleet Starbases I wonder what they would look like can't wait.

i hope they use the S'harien Station as a base for the design. I really like it.
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Doubtful they would write off something just because it is perceived as out of sync with contemporary(?) tastes. Some of us have little fashion sense, and/or can be seen as perpetually out of sync with the "correct" timeline. Fashion freedom is a strength, and of course an excuse to go all retro. It feels so good it must be bad!

---

edited March 2013
    Okay, I'll give you that the helmets are a little silly, but I think that has more to do with material than anything. Other than that, the only thing worth mentioning is that the fabrics are dated. Again, materials.

But the way Roman togas translated into the shoulder drape is awesome. I mean, come on. Which is more commanding? A Vulcan in a clearly Roman-inspired uniform, or Moe with '80s shoulder pads?
    That would be the Romulans for me, at least. And I wouldn't want to have romulans lowered to being a plain-roman stand in. If I wanted that sort of thing, I'd watch Stargate.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The TOS uniforms are completely ugly and look like cheap props stolen to homeless guys sleeping near the studio. :D
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    The TOS uniforms are completely ugly and look like cheap props stolen to homeless guys sleeping near the studio. :D

That's not justification enough, not to include them. The Federation TOS unfiroms look like pajamas, yet they exist in STO.
    HvGQ9pH.png