What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Expanding The Fleet Rank Structure.

Comments

• Options
    lietollietol Member Posts: 0
    edited March 2013
    for all our efforts and all of our deeds,to salute the man with ambition,to offer him a hat that looks like all the rest,i totaly agree and spoke in game with stahl about it once directly,he told me to send him an email on th eissue to his cryptic email,i never did.dont know why but good thread mooey,you are on to something that i think alot of folks would benifit from so i salute.xx

That only counts commissioned officers. There are crewmen and non commissioned personnel to consider. There are ways around this with what is available, however it doesn't allow for much detail at a glance. I do not think what the OP is asking for is asking for a whole lot.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would love to see more ranks for the fleet system. It would also be great or more options with permissions etc.

Such as, maximum amount of fleet credits available per person, or a limit on how much each person can donate.
    Would make it much fairer for larger fleets to stop individuals from hogging the projects...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    kryptonianbadboykryptonianbadboy Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Such as, maximum amount of fleet credits available per person, or a limit on how much each person can donate.
    Would make it much fairer for larger fleets to stop individuals from hogging the projects...

Agreed, That should be a new permission for fleets using a slider.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Check out "Welcome to the 77th" in the foundry!!!!
  • Options
    g7pkj001g7pkj001 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    more members in a fleet does require more admin, and hense more flexability with the fleet ranks, and with the current system, that means more ranks to help construct a better more fluid structure.
  • Options
    fleetsolvanguardfleetsolvanguard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I agree and we need to keep this topic at the forefront.
  • Options
    xxwal1acexxxxwal1acexx Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    in a perfect world we would have more ranks to build and orginize together.<-yea period
  • Options
    morkargh117morkargh117 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I support this, upping the rank limit would be nice.
  • Options
    drylyyxdrylyyx Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Totally agreed - We need more Fleet Ranks in a bad way. Being able to set individual permissions wouldn't be too bad either... :D

But even with more ranks we could also use a few tools to make administering a fleet easier. How about making that Activity Log actually show something we can use. Like, who donated resources to projects and when. Or who purchased items from the base and the Provisions that were used. You know something that helps manage the fleet as opposed to the current Activity Log that lets us know when someone trains a BOFF... Come on, really?

Oh, while we are at it, how about what should be an easy thing to do...

Fix the freakin' sorting of the last column of the Fleet Roster. You can't use it to sort by status and thus more importantly last login date. Being able to actually sort overall fleet contributions would be rather helpful as well. That simple database sorting fix could make fleet administration a lot easier in many ways. Least in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    drylyyx wrote: »
    Totally agreed - We need more Fleet Ranks in a bad way. Being able to set individual permissions wouldn't be too bad either... :D

But even with more ranks we could also use a few tools to make administering a fleet easier.

I as well agree, and would really like a DEV to comment on this thread to see what we could come up with to make this game that we love that much better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited March 2013
    Well to be honest I think it's fine as it is really because at least 50% of members don't exactly participate more than donating to projects and ignoring the chat.

You have the ones that join and just want the gear, they donate as and when it's convenient, give them a rank. You now have 4 to divvy up between the various number of people that participate in your large fleet to a significant degree and to reward them with varying permissions for each rank. Even in a full fleet that's about 65 equally distributed in the ranks. You can't tell me everyone deserves to be second to the leader?

I don't see the point of having a promotion or new rank that gives you nothing new, that does not distinguish itself from the others. Also I don't see the point in promoting someone higher than they NEED to be. Can you honestly say more than half you members need access to promoting and demoting, changing bank permissions, settings, uniforms and all that other stuff? Maybe some might need access to promoting and demoting. Some will need to be able to run events and promote via message of the day and fleet mail.

The numbers that need to be able to access features won't be huge, remember too many chefs spoil the b'rolth.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    This subject seems to be getting a varied opinions mostly pro expansion. The one take away I do see that would be great is individual permissions for members it seems along with expanding ranks this would be a win win for all fleets big and small. I have to say this yet again that these are optional features much like fleet uniforms, where the fleet leadership would choose to use or not. I'm not saying it s for all fleets but for majority of large fleet close to the cap of 500 members this would be a great gain in the adminstration of the fleet. I would welcome any DEVs to the conversation to get thier input in this discussion to see see if this is something we could look forward to in game. I would be willing to discuss how it would benefit fleets in a positive way since we could be looking at an influx of new and returning players in May with the release of the Romulan faction. This effort is to better the community not take away from it, those who say leave as is, I ask to look at big picture approach and see how this could help the game. Thank you all for posting on this thread and let try to keep this at the forefront on the forum so other could voice opinions on this and let the community be heard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sidewinder16sidewinder16 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I absolutely agree. As a fleet grows in numbers so does the need for advancement within that fleet. If members dont have something to strive for then there game play becomes stagnant and eventually you end up with an inactive player taking up slot in the ranks of the whole. This is a well pointed out issue and is within my opinion something Cryptic should explore.
  • Options
    rfzanderrfzander Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Have to keep this thread alive. Im wondering if Cryptic is able to give us more ranks. How would you use them, if at all??
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    rfzander wrote: »
    Have to keep this thread alive. Im wondering if Cryptic is able to give us more ranks. How would you use them, if at all??

Rank 1: Recruit -> Finish and review welcome to fleet foundry mission.

Rank 2: Ensign -> Download and use voice comms. or in fleet chat.

Rank 3: Lt. JG -> Active in the community.

Rank 4: Lt. -> Participate in fleet activities.

Rank 5: Lt. Cmdr. -> Host Fleet activities.

Rank 6: Commander -> Mentor new members.

Rank 7: Captain -> Recruit and retain members.

Rank 8: Commodore -> Help members with ship built and BOFF.

Rank 9: Rear Admiral Lower Half-> Maintain Fleet projects.

Rank 10: Rear Admiral -> Create and Maintain PvP Team

Rank 11: Rear Admiral Upper Half -> Maintain Fleet Provisions and Bank

Rank 12: Commidant -> over sees recruiting

Rank 13: Vice Admiral -> Day to day Operations.

Rank 14: Senior Vice Admiral (Chiefs of Staff) -> Consul to the fleet leader.

Rank 15: Fleet Admiral -> Fleet leader.

Additional Ranks for;

Fleet rising star.

PvP Most improved.

PvP Fleet Champion Ground.

PvP Fleet Champion Space.

Diplomat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I've seen alot of posts stating that this a good
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Yeah I see some great ideas from this.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    deyvad wrote: »
    Only if we can have less ranks,

we basically only need 4 ranks, recruits, fleet members, fleet officers and fleet owner.

Anything else is just fluff.

I respectfully disagree.

Because both fleet and bank permissions are tied to fleet rank and you might want to give different permissions to different groups.

For example, you might want a designated event coordinator who can create and edit events, send out fleet mail, etc. but you don't want to give them the ability to do certain other things.

Or maybe there's a fleet officer designated to manage fleet holdings and no other officers get that permission.

Stuff like that.

Ten ranks is probably enough and the ability to buy up to 10 bank tabs for a fleet would be wonderful.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    buzzoutbuzzout Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    20 seems a bit ridiculous. The larger fleets thats all the admin would be doing.

Even the real armed forces only have 10

Ensign
    Lt jg
    Lt
    Lt cmdr
    Cmdr
    Cpt
    4 admirals

The fleet rank structure seems pretty solid.

Not exactly. There in fact 26

Seaman Recruit
    Seaman Apprentice
    Seaman
    Petty Officer 3rd Class
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Petty Officer 1rst Class
    Chief Petty Officer
    Senior Chief Petty Officer
    Master Chief Petty Officer
    Fleet/Command Chief Petty Officer
    Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy
    Chief Warrant Officer 2
    Chief Warrant Officer 3
    Chief Warrant Officer 4
    Chief Warrant Officer 5
    Ensign
    Lieutenant Junior Grade
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant Commander
    Commander
    Captain
    Rear Admiral lower half
    Rear Admiral upper half
    Vice Admiral
    Admiral Chief of Naval Operations
    Fleet Admiral
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    buzzout wrote: »
    Not exactly. There in fact 26

Ah, but in this game we're all at least Ensigns. Officers, in fact. We don't need 26 ranks to represent that. We don't need E ranks at all.

Even if we did, Starfleet/KDF won't follow the same E rankings as the Navy.

Starfleet's got at most 25 ranks, and that's if you include cadet ranks.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Starfleet_ranks

I think a reasonable representation could be:

Recruit
    Cadet
    Ensign
    Lieutenant JG
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant Commander
    Commander
    Captain
    Rear Admiral, LH
    Rear Admiral, UH
    Vice Admiral
    Admiral

12 ranks. There you go.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    ikenstein1ikenstein1 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Never seen any benefit at all to being in a fleet. Never even been in a fleet where I could buy a fleet ship by default. The fleet base and embassy are pointless. STFs can easily be done with pugs now that everyone has massively overpowered gear and the stfs are still balanced for launch. So there is just no point in them at all.

Fleets are a total waste of time. Don't waste any more dev time on them.
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We get away with

Co-ordinator (can do everything)
    Director (can do everything except set projects)
    Project leader (can do everything except promote demote and set projects)
    Researcher (full withdrawal deposit facility)
    Field Researcher (can deposit / withdraw from data sample bank only)

thats 5 ranks and it covers everything
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Ah, but in this game we're all at least Ensigns. Officers, in fact. We don't need 26 ranks to represent that. We don't need E ranks at all.

Even if we did, Starfleet/KDF won't follow the same E rankings as the Navy.

Starfleet's got at most 25 ranks, and that's if you include cadet ranks.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Starfleet_ranks

I think a reasonable representation could be:

Recruit
    Cadet
    Ensign
    Lieutenant JG
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant Commander
    Commander
    Captain
    Rear Admiral, LH
    Rear Admiral, UH
    Vice Admiral
    Admiral

12 ranks. There you go.
    Nice rank system blue. I would just add commodore to that to bring it back. Yeah let's bring it back. Bring back the commodore rank do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Nice rank system blue. I would just add commodore to that to bring it back. Yeah let's bring it back. Bring back the commodore rank do it.
    Rear Admiral, Lower-Half is what replaces Commodore. You can simply remove LH and call it Commodore and the UH can just be Rear Admiral.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'd like to see what the DEVs think about this. When is the next ask DEVs event?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'd like to see what the DEVs think about this. When is the next ask DEVs event?

Ive asked this question a couple of times in the ask cryptic and Mr. Stahl seems to never choose to answer it.
  • Options
    dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    In my opinion instead of more ranks, we should have option to set certain players for certain posts which will be totally independence from ranks. Unfortunately some people just can not hold senior positions in command chain (power corrupted them) but are good for some other functions, for example Personnel Officer. But it's impossible to give only that one person certain permissions, you have to gave them whole rank.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    rfzander wrote: »
    Ive asked this question a couple of times in the ask cryptic and Mr. Stahl seems to never choose to answer it.
    The Rank structure is what it is. The STO story requires you to start at Ensign and rapidly advance to Lieutenant so that you can take permanent command of a ship. Only at the beginning of the Tutorial are you under someone else's direct command. Once you get into that ship you become your own hero. Cryptic isn't going to change that. You're not going to spend the first 10+ levels being an underling for some Captain. You're your own hero.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The Rank structure is what it is. The STO story requires you to start at Ensign and rapidly advance to Lieutenant so that you can take permanent command of a ship. Only at the beginning of the Tutorial are you under someone else's direct command. Once you get into that ship you become your own hero. Cryptic isn't going to change that. You're not going to spend the first 10+ levels being an underling for some Captain. You're your own hero.

We are not at all takling about the ranks you aquire while leveling. We are refering to FLEET ranks then fleet leader use to organize thier fleets. The ranks you get while lvling is pointless and stupid, they should be removed from the game entirely.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I feel like this is going somewhere. Let's keep those ideas coming some really good ideas and comments so far. I know this subject is a one that the fleets in STO have been talking about for some time especially those fleets close to the member cap. It would be a great thing to have from a fleet leader stand point. It would give flexibility to said leader to make their fleet more organized and have a clear chain of command. It would also make it worth it to those members showing a clear path to unlocking provisions and bank permissions. Right now I find that you have to many members reaching a certain spot then just stuck there due to top heavy fleet senior officers. It would lead to better rewards each step up into a fleet instead of trying to group all those permission into 7 ranks. Which meets members would be more active in a fleet knowing what you put in as far as time and loyality will mean that much reward.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]