test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic, please don't make the Romulans a wuss!

gong1fu1pandagong1fu1panda Member Posts: 0 Arc User

I was really hoping to play the classic Romulans, Tal'Shiar and all. But I actually I don't mind a fresh start. But... please do not make a second Federation or make us play those fake Romulans on New Romulus.

Aliens have the right to be different from the US!!! It is bad enough they ruined the Ferengi on DS9. Please do not mess up our Romulans with that boring, arrogant Western narcissism!!
Post edited by gong1fu1panda on

Comments

• erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Romulus have been destroyed. The empress assimilated. The Tal Shiar are behind the homeworld destruction, and are puppets from another power.

Do you really think we can have the Tal Shiar suddenly coming back and help the RSE ?

Also, in TNG (the episode with Troi posing as a Tal Shiar), we can see the Tal Shiar are not really liked by the people and the military. They are ruthless and arrogant.

I don't mind having a "not so evil" Romulan faction. At least, we may avoid some cliche.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I agree with gong. We'll have to wait and see what the story writer has in mind, i heared she is a big romulan fan sooooo maybe....
  • voxinvictusvoxinvictus Member Posts: 261
    edited March 2013

I was really hoping to play the classic Romulans, Tal'Shiar and all. But I actually I don't mind a fresh start. But... please do not make a second Federation or make us play those fake Romulans on New Romulus.

Aliens have the right to be different from the US!!! It is bad enough they ruined the Ferengi on DS9. Please do not mess up our Romulans with that boring, arrogant Western narcissism!!

The playable Romulans will be the New Romulus versions. The Tal Shiar are universal bad guys in league with the Iconians, who want to destroy all life in the galaxy. You're not going to be playing as part of the Tal Shiar, unless the storyline involves some how freeing them of the Iconians' influence.

Whether or not they are "a wuss" depends on you.
  • naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I can't imagine that they have removed the Fed vs Rom missions, or the Romulan 'Enemy Encounters', etc. So there must be 'good' Romulans and 'bad' Romulans. So presumably you play as some faction that opposes the 'bad' Romulans and helps New Romulus, etc.
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • waveofthefuturewaveofthefuture Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited March 2013

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    There's nothing wrong with the New Romulans, they directly descend from the Reunification movement and have a solid foundation in canon.

The Romulans have always been a democratic society, even with the vicious political intrigue and back biting.

D'Tan has sought to remove that culture of mistrust and deception, and as the Vulcans would say that's logical. Lest you forget that that culture of corruption got old Romulus blasted to slag. And Federation influence is obvious since the movement D'Tan is in charge of is based on something Spock was heavily involved in founding. (At least its modern incarnation).

That said, I'm hoping the New Romulan forces that we will play as will be bad TRIBBLE like the first Romulan we ever saw, The Commander in Balance of Terror. Or Donatra before...well you know. An honorable counterpart to the Starfleet officers rather than a snake like Tomalak or Taris.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    They can easily take the overt/covert twist, and make open actions serve covert purposes of a different nature, with minimal textual input though...

Not a fan of wussification either. Is that a legit word? :P

---
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Its sounds like you get to play Che or a Romulan verison of the Maque a revolutionary which does sound like a very different type of game play then the Federation or Klingons.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Its sounds like you get to play Che or a Romulan verison of the Maque a revolutionary which does sound like a very different type of game play then the Federation or Klingons.
  • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Heres an idea make a Tal'Shiar fleet and role play as the Tal'Shiar this is your chance to write your own story enjoy this chance. :)
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    all i can say...

at least people will stop complaining about when we will see D'deridex's in lockboxes.

Anyway I think its not a matter of the new romulans being "wusses" I dont think that would be completely possible. just because they switched from being an empire to a republic things will change that fast. After all im sure the factions cant get through all their bad blood instantly.

I'm sure most the military is still remnants of whats left of the RSE's military and I doubt they will change their tactics that much with a name change, at least at the start. Seeing how the RomRep faction will develop will be interesting.
  • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    naevius wrote: »
    I can't imagine that they have removed the Fed vs Rom missions, or the Romulan 'Enemy Encounters', etc. So there must be 'good' Romulans and 'bad' Romulans. So presumably you play as some faction that opposes the 'bad' Romulans and helps New Romulus, etc.

Here is a thought the "Bad Romulans" are Tal'Shiar or Remnant RSE Military hardliners that wont give up what they once had and lost. :)
  • genericolagenericola Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    pity we wont be playing the Romulan Star, I was hoping we would be playing a kind of restoration movent aiming to restore the empire to glory, reforming away the worse parts of the empire(reconciliation with remans etc.) and all that.

I just hope the faction will be at least somewhat anti federation by the end.
  • gong1fu1pandagong1fu1panda Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    genericola wrote: »
    pity we wont be playing the Romulan Star, I was hoping we would be playing a kind of restoration movent aiming to restore the empire to glory, reforming away the worse parts of the empire(reconciliation with remans etc.) and all that.

I just hope the faction will be at least somewhat anti federation by the end.

That was also what I was hoping for. New Romulus as a good guy faction would be a greater violation than the J.J. reboot. I was also looking forward to playing a Hirogen. But I guess that would be unlogical since they collaborate with the Tal'Shiar.
  • nikkyvixnikkyvix Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    When I first read your title OP, I first had the thought of what I feel has been done to, in my opinion, neuter the Klingons.

The KDF actually felt like they were at war with the Federation at some point, but tons of common enemies (in-story reason) and shared-faction content (out-of-story reason) has put the KDF and the Federation on the same foot, essentially nuking that feel. The two almost feel interchangeable now. There's only so much "alliance to defeat common foes/accomplish common goals" one can take before the two pretty much are allies full-time. Who will the de-fanged Klingon Empire be tasked to protect and rescue next?

The Romulans should have their own path, unclouded by requirement to cooperate with others. Hopefully in their story they aren't leaning like crippled children trying to walk again with the Federation on one arm and the KDF on the other, dictating what they should do (it feels that way on New Romulus right now). As far as their content, it is my hope that Cryptic will avoid the trap of too much shared-faction content forcing a Romulan to act like a Fed officer. My KDF Gorn is still grumbling about having to go back in time to rescue the Federation from the Devidians...

I don't want my experience as a Romulan Republic member to be interchangeable with that as a Klingon Empire warrior or an officer of Starfleet. The militaristic tone of the teaser content today gives me hope it won't be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
    "Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    How can they make the Roms a wuss? It seems like a large percentage of the fan-base can't even defeat the simple AI Rom. :D
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    How can they make the Roms a wuss? It seems like a large percentage of the fan-base can't even defeat the simple AI Rom. :D

lmfao this ^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    havam wrote: »
    I agree with gong. We'll have to wait and see what the story writer has in mind, i heared she is a big romulan fan sooooo maybe....
    Apparently Jack Emmert and Daniel Stahl are both big Klingon fans. But, well ... you can fill in the blanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Apparently Jack Emmert and Daniel Stahl are both big Klingon fans. But, well ... you can fill in the blanks.
    Of course neither of them actually write the stories. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Some observations from the 'Legacy of Romulus' webpage:

"Play as a Romulan or Reman and immerse yourself in new story-driven missions written exclusively from the Romulan Republic's point of view."- Apparently both Remans and Romulans will be palyable, but no mention of Hirogen, which are allied with Sela. Also, note the use of 'Romulan Republic' and not 'Romulan Star Empire'-it also has a symbol that is different than the RSE symbol, so we will not be playing as RSE romulans, at least by the end of the story mode.

Sela will be back, but apparently we will be playing 'a game of political cat-and-mouse' with her. Sounds like the RSE will be palying an antagonistic role to Romulan players as well as the Iconians and Tal'Shiar.

"Together, you will rise up against an oppressive regime and demand freedom. You will fight for your people." We will be fighting the Tal'Shiar and overthrowing the RSE in a rebellion.

I have been enthusiastically awaiting the news of the Romulan faction, but honestly, from what we have heard so far, I am quite disappointed. It seems that the devs have decided to take the Romulan faction in a direction similar to D'Tan's New Romulus faction, probably to make the faction synch better with the Romulan Reputation system, and to let players have Reman characters, which is unfortunate. I honestly hope that this is just a misunderstanding on my part from the snippits of information we have so far, but it looks liek they have managed to take the Romulan faction in possibly the worst possible direction they could have, thematically.

IMO when I think 'Romulans' I think RSE, not reunificationists or freedom fighters. it would be like if the entierty of the Klingon faction was comprised of farmers and traders from a speratist colony and you spent most of your time fighting off Klingon Raiders to protect your peaceful way of life. Or if the Maquis were a faction, but not the federation. That is not at all what one normally associates with Klingons or feds, and this is not at all what I expect to see from a Romulan faction. I expected not to be able to work alongside the Tal'Shiar, since the devs have already established them as working agaisnt the best interest of the RSE, but I am a bit shocked that they decided to ditch the RSE entierly and throw up a Romulan Republic in its place, which apparently (from what we know so far) is all about freedom, liberty? Where's our Romulan backstabbing, ambition, their imperialistic tendancies? I really do feel like that the OP here has some appropriate fears here.

I'll be waiting to see if it's worth playing or not-I'm not optimistic, given that all the information we have so far seems to be pointing in one direction, but if my fears are well founded, I will be severely disappointed here. Hopefully we will be able to ignore all of that and still be able to reasonably RP as RSE, but the trailer even shows what appears to be a player character and two BOFFs wearing uniforms that look quite removed from the classic military uniforms already used by romulan characters in the game, so I wonder if that option will even be reasonably available?
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The funny thing is that the Romulan faction is going to be Federation in behavior, painted green with Romulan warship textures (and cloaks, too).

Personally, I wanted the Romulans the way they acted in practically all other TV, movie, and game depictions. Secretive, deceptive, cunning, ruthless.

But the Romulans in STO will be pansies like the Federation. Hell, they've enslaved themselves already to their longtime rival, the Federation, and their longtime blood enemies, the Klingon Empire (who'd love nothing more than keeping under their thumbs a dangerous, "former" enemy).

I don't want the New Romulan Empire.

I want a resurgent, vengeful, Romulan Star Empire.

Kudos to Cryptic though in getting Denise Crosby for Sela :cool:
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited March 2013
    The funny thing is that the Romulan faction is going to be Federation in behavior, painted green with Romulan warship textures (and cloaks, too).

Personally, I wanted the Romulans the way they acted in practically all other TV, movie, and game depictions. Secretive, deceptive, cunning, ruthless.

But the Romulans in STO will be pansies like the Federation. Hell, they've enslaved themselves already to their longtime rival, the Federation, and their longtime blood enemies, the Klingon Empire (who'd love nothing more than keeping under their thumbs a dangerous, "former" enemy).

I don't want the New Romulan Empire.

I want a resurgent, vengeful, Romulan Star Empire.

Kudos to Cryptic though in getting Denise Crosby for Sela :cool:
    I agree 100% The RSE has been given the short end of the stick continuously since Nemesis, where their entire government was overthrown by a Coup that the Scooby Doo gang could have prevented, and gettign their homeworld blown up in the next movie. (heck, you could argue it started earlier, with Warbirds getting one-shot killed in DS9 and a Starfleet plant beign set up as Praetor). Now in STO we have found out that the Romulans blew up their *own* homeworld on purpose (the Tal'Shiar, specifically), their remnant forces continuously beaten up on by the Feds, KDF, Tholians, Tal'Shiar. One Praetor dead, one abducted by the Iconians, one Assimilated, and Tomolak in exile. Two of the Romulan Praetors are bosses, but where are The Federation President or Klingon Chancellor's ships crippled or blown up by players? The only Rommulan faction set up as having any real consequence at this point has been D'tan's reunificationists, who are basically living in camps while the KDF and Feds provide aide. I wouldn't have thought the RSE could possibly be further defanged, but apparently Cryptic found a way by having the Romulan Republic freedom fighters replace them. Not only has the RSE effectively been given the cowboy medical treatment for injured horses, but they have managed (at least fro mthe look of things so far) to completely subvert everythign that was iconic about romulans. I have been sorely disappointed by their announcement so far-it sucked out all of the initial elation over rommies finally getting a faction rather rapidly. I only hope that we at least have the costume options available to decently *pretend* that we are still RSE. I see myself ignoring the episodes at this point, which is unfortunate, because I have *really* wanted to be able to play this game from the perspective of a rommulan.
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    But the Romulans are wuss.

Have you ever watched the show?
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
    edited March 2013
    But the Romulans are wuss.

Have you ever watched the show?
    Really? I thought Sela and Tomalak were pretty intimidating. Of course, we will be fighting Sela as the Romulan Republic, and Tomalak was put into exile in the backstory, so the complaint that the Romulan *player* faction are wuss could very well be a valid one.
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't know why people are so butthurt about the whole "Republic-instead-of-Empire" thing. Romulans were blatantly modeled after the Roman Empire (look at their name, by jiminy), and I think the idea of a conspiracy to restore the Republic could be a fascinating story.
    edited March 2013
    I don't know why people are so butthurt about the whole "Republic-instead-of-Empire" thing. Romulans were blatantly modeled after the Roman Empire (look at their name, by jiminy), and I think the idea of a conspiracy to restore the Republic could be a fascinating story.
    Well, for one, there has never been a 'Romulan Republic' to restore, to my recollection. For another, there were a lot of inspirations behind Romulans besides the Romans, at least post-TOS.

Lastly, if you are dedicated to using the Roman comparison, wouldn't a Byzantine Empire stand in be a more appropriate follow up to the RSE than a republic?
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It certainly seems in keeping with the ideals of the reunification movement.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well, for one, there has never been a 'Romulan Republic' to restore, to my recollection. For another, there were a lot of inspirations behind Romulans besides the Romans, at least post-TOS.

Lastly, if you are dedicated to using the Roman comparison, wouldn't a Byzantine Empire stand in be a more appropriate follow up to the RSE than a republic?

No? Originally Constantinople was just the Eastern capital of the Roman Empire, and then just kept on going after the Western Empire collapsed (largely due to the Eastern emperors paying off barbarians to bypass their Empire and go bother the Western Empire instead). It wasn't a "follow-up". It was always part of the Roman Empire from its founding. And it's worth noting that there were no large, successful democracies during the lifetime of the Eastern Roman Empire (they did not call themselves Byzantium or Byzantines, because they considered themselves Romans) that would inspire any sort of revolution. And they still had rebellions against the Emperor, most notably the Nika riots, which nearly drove Justinian out of Constantinople.

So, no.

edit: OH and the Byzantine Empire, so far as I know, never had anything catastrophic on the scale of having their capital destroyed and basically a state of anarchy that would've allowed a democratic or republican faction to gain traction. Which is, also worth noting, historically kind of the natural reaction of people who've been terrorized by a police state all their lives.
    edited March 2013
    No? Originally Constantinople was just the Eastern capital of the Roman Empire, and then just kept on going after the Western Empire collapsed (largely due to the Eastern emperors paying off barbarians to bypass their Empire and go bother the Western Empire instead). It wasn't a "follow-up". It was always part of the Roman Empire from its founding. And it's worth noting that there were no large, successful democracies during the lifetime of the Eastern Roman Empire (they did not call themselves Byzantium or Byzantines, because they considered themselves Romans) that would inspire any sort of revolution. And they still had rebellions against the Emperor, most notably the Nika riots, which nearly drove Justinian out of Constantinople.

So, no.

edit: OH and the Byzantine Empire, so far as I know, never had anything catastrophic on the scale of having their capital destroyed and basically a state of anarchy that would've allowed a democratic or republican faction to gain traction. Which is, also worth noting, historically kind of the natural reaction of people who've been terrorized by a police state all their lives.
    Did you actually read what I typed? I am well aware of the history of the Byzantine Empire (or Eastern Roman Empire, if you are bent on splitting hairs). That's why I reconmended them as a more appropriate. And that Part about there beign no successful democracies in the Byzantine Empire? That was also relevent Romulans do not run democracies, they have not since their conception. They are an imperialistic, xenophobic, militaristic society mired in Byzantine politics. In fact, it is the sneaky backstabbing politics, assassinations, etc of the Roman Empire (East and West) that the Romulans draw from more than anything else, taking that away from them and make them into freedom fighters seems rather out of synch with what I have come to expect and like from the Romulans.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Really? I thought Sela and Tomalak were pretty intimidating. Of course, we will be fighting Sela as the Romulan Republic
    Doubtful. Sela is against the Tal Shiar. She is also unaware of the truth behind the supernova. She may have found Taris is repsonsible.
    She will probably be the leader for the Romulan.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]