test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic, please don't make the Romulans a wuss!

Comments

• lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    New Romulus as a good guy faction would be a greater violation than the J.J. reboot.

Since the JJ reboot was a good movie, you have nothing to worry about from the new Romulan faction.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Since the JJ reboot was a good movie, you have nothing to worry about from the new Romulan faction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M
  • nabuborianabuboria Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hmmm, if anything they are brave.

Going against their own race who have better/more tech and not having much hope of survival (without help)
    [SIGPIC] Element CKY Electric [/SIGPIC]
    "similar to our already generous free-to-play philosophy" - Insert Keith Lemon laugh
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »

Haters gonna hate.

95% Fresh rating among critics (93% among top critics)

8.0 Rating on imdb.com. The highest grossing Star Trek movie of all time.

I know it's hard to grasp that our beloved IP is no longer a niche, but what better way to embrace the Vulcan IDIC ideals than to embrace Star Trek 2009.

As Captain Kirk said, "Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant."

The same goes for the Romulan faction (to an extent, as one also has to factor in Cryptic's pass blunders).
    edited March 2013
    Haters gonna hate.

95% Fresh rating among critics (93% among top critics)

8.0 Rating on imdb.com. The highest grossing Star Trek movie of all time.

I know it's hard to grasp that our beloved IP is no longer a niche, but what better way to embrace the Vulcan IDIC ideals than to embrace Star Trek 2009.

As Captain Kirk said, "Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant."

The same goes for the Romulan faction (to an extent, as one also has to factor in Cryptic's pass blunders).

Yes, it's popular. So is Twilight and Call of Duty.
    There's a reason why the appeal to popularity is a logical fallacy.

Even if JJ Trek had nothing to do with Trek (and really, it basically doesn't), it's still a brainless action flick with a plot that is so insipidly stupid that it's borderline offensive.
    It mangles astrophysics in a way that makes Generations look like a masterpiece of science fact, it's protagonists are all unlikable butt-heads (except for McCoy, but I put that down less to the writing and more to the fact that Karl Urban is freaking awesome), it's villain is a whiny cry baby with no good reason to do what he does and the sets are god awful, from the ridiculous lensflare ridden iBridge to using a brewery as an engine room. A BREWERY.
    Series one Red Dwarf managed to make more convincing spaceship sets than that.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    nabuboria wrote: »
    Hmmm, if anything they are brave.

Going against their own race who have better/more tech and not having much hope of survival (without help)

Brave or not, I expected to play a member of the RSE and not just any Romulan. What if instead of UFP we had to play the Maquis? They were brave too.

I hope they release more information soon.
  • genericolagenericola Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Not being the Star Empire specifically dosn't bother me so much, I just hope that this republic doesn't turn out to be the new romulus romulans, or that they at least take them in in an anti-federation/KDF direction.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    Brave or not, I expected to play a member of the RSE and not just any Romulan. What if instead of UFP we had to play the Maquis? They were brave too.

I hope they release more information soon.
    Exactly this. There's nothing inherently wrong with there being Romulan seperatists. It enriches the setting to have these various little splinter groups. When someone says "Romulan Faction" however, I think the RSE, and I expected this faction to be the RSE. To ignore the RSE in favor of creating a new faction, one that doesn't have anythign to do with the RSE? Color me disappointed so far.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The story in the reveal says that you will be going undercover to gather allies and intel that will aid a rebellion against an oppressive regime. You will be fighting from the inside against the Tal'Shiar and Sela since the two will probably be in cahoots now after Sela being abducted by Iconians and no doubt "adjusted" to support their agenda.
    It is a much more interesting story to be playing as a rebel fighting from within rather than as just another cog in a totalitarian machine. That doesn't make these new Romulans wusses since they are in far greater danger from their own than from any other enemy and it will be consistent with the existing story developing on New Romulus.
    And it should be noted that freedom for Romulans does not necessarily mean an alliance with the Federation or Klingons.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The part where you assume America = the whole western world is the best unintentional comedy possible.

It had a lot to do with the part about: "Aliens have the right to be different from the US!!!" Note at the end he singled out the U.S.A.??? :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Even if JJ Trek had nothing to do with Trek (and really, it basically doesn't), it's still a brainless action flick with a plot that is so insipidly stupid that it's borderline offensive.
    It mangles astrophysics in a way that makes Generations look like a masterpiece of science fact, it's protagonists are all unlikable butt-heads (except for McCoy, but I put that down less to the writing and more to the fact that Karl Urban is freaking awesome), it's villain is a whiny cry baby with no good reason to do what he does and the sets are god awful, from the ridiculous lensflare ridden iBridge to using a brewery as an engine room. A BREWERY.

I couldn't agree with you more Lizwei! :D How could anyone buy into a brewery for an engine room is beyond me. :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Even the engine room isn't as bad as the bridge

its an Apple store
    Live long and Prosper
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sollvax wrote: »

its an Apple store

lololololololol true this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Actually that brewery looks more realistic then the flashy tube of blue lights they were before it.

Perhaps they should have used a fake nuclear reactor with strange markins and high tech equipment on it.

Oh...and it was a great movie!
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    The story in the reveal says that you will be going undercover to gather allies and intel that will aid a rebellion against an oppressive regime. You will be fighting from the inside against the Tal'Shiar and Sela since the two will probably be in cahoots now after Sela being abducted by Iconians and no doubt "adjusted" to support their agenda.
    It is a much more interesting story to be playing as a rebel fighting from within rather than as just another cog in a totalitarian machine. That doesn't make these new Romulans wusses since they are in far greater danger from their own than from any other enemy and it will be consistent with the existing story developing on New Romulus.
    And it should be noted that freedom for Romulans does not necessarily mean an alliance with the Federation or Klingons.
    by that principle, it could be " a much more interesting story to be palying as a Tal'Shiar inflitrator fighting the federation from within, instead of just another cog in the federation" I doubt many federation players would be thrilled if the only way they could play federation was as a Tal'Shiar plant overthrowing the federation etc. If Cryptic wanted to do a 'freedom fighter' faction, it would have been much mroe appropriate to have used a species or faction that was more of a blank slate.
    edited March 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Actually that brewery looks more realistic then the flashy tube of blue lights they were before it.

Perhaps they should have used a fake nuclear reactor with strange markins and high tech equipment on it.

I'd take those over a brewery any day. At least there, effort was made.
    edited March 2013
    Revolution is never wise or Heroic when seen from the pointy end
    Live long and Prosper
    edited March 2013
    Revolution is never wise or Heroic when seen from the pointy end

Yeah and it's a crappy series produced by JJ too.

ZING.
    edited March 2013
    yes thats based on faulty physics as well

"electric power no longer works" including dynamo and batteries??????

The man needs a urgent course in very basic science (the human body has electrical currents in it )

He also simply does not know ANYTHING about gunshot wounds
    Live long and Prosper
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited March 2013

In all this sadness, I've never laughed so hard. The greatest comedy is born from from tragedy they say. A toast to the engines of tomorrow. May they drown all our sorrow!

Saved by the brew, it is too good to be true...

---

edited March 2013
    yes thats based on faulty physics as well

"electric power no longer works" including dynamo and batteries??????

The man needs a urgent course in very basic science (the human body has electrical currents in it )

He also simply does not know ANYTHING about gunshot wounds

Or about planes. Power goes out, plane drops out of sky. Straight down.
    I bet you JJ was one of those idiots who was convinced a plane was going to drop onto his house because of the Y2K bug.
    edited March 2013
    yes even the biggest planes can GLIDE for some distance

The sooner he retires the better
    Live long and Prosper
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    redheadguy wrote: »
    I couldn't agree with you more Lizwei! :D How could anyone buy into a brewery for an engine room is beyond me. :rolleyes:
    If they couldn't afford to build the set they could have CGed it and green screened the actors.

its an Apple store
    Hey at least they built that set, after seeing engineering I expected the bridge to look like the control room of a abandoned power station.
    tpalelena wrote: »

Realistic ya, big clear plastic tubes and spinning pump blades in transparent housings, in what universe would anyone build machines like that other than say Willy Wonka's in his Chocolate Factory.
    I enjoyed the movie as an action flick, but they really screwed the pooch where the sets were concerned and the Technology of the future is a big part of Star Trek. In the lower decks they may as well have had a stagehand standing in the scene holding a big plaque that says "Imagine futuristic high tech equipment here". That wouldn't have looked any more cheap than what they did do.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    yes even the biggest planes can GLIDE for some distance

The sooner he retires the better
    *points at Gimli Glider*

An almost inconceivable series of screwups caused it to run out of fuel...... at an altitude of 41000 feet. How many of the people on board died? 0!!!! Why? It was able to glide to an airstrip.

Yeah, the Pitcrews at Gimli had a very interesting day.... And everyone involved lived to tell about it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited March 2013
    Wow, people complaining that science fiction has FICTION in it. People are just reaching for any reason to hate JJ. Not to mention hating a movie that is basically following what Star Trek has done since its creation. That would be the major fault of Trek2009 that everything in it has been done before in a prior Trek movie or episode.

The brewery? It makes Engineering actually look utilitarian, functional, and somewhat realistic.

The bridge? It looks modern. Hell, my iPhone looks more advanced than the LCARS display.

One of my fleet mates said it best,

"Most people that didn't like JJ Trek either didn't see TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't like TOS."
    edited March 2013
    There's a reason why the appeal to popularity is a logical fallacy..

No, it's not a fallacy. If you make a product geared towards a certain demographic that sells well than it is popular amongst that demographic.

I'm sorry, but those are OPINIONS.

The FACT is that it is the highest grossing Trek movie of all time. The FACT is it was one of the best reviewed movies of 2009. The FACT is it is still highly reviewed by critics and normal movie goers. The FACT is it regenerated interest in a dying franchise.
    edited March 2013
    Wow, people complaining that science fiction has FICTION in it. People are just reaching for any reason to hate JJ. Not to mention hating a movie that is basically following what Star Trek has done since its creation. That would be the major fault of Trek2009 that everything in it has been done before in a prior Trek movie or episode.

Star Trek has always been about fiction.
    What ST 2009 does is remove any trace of science.
    The brewery? It makes Engineering actually look utilitarian, functional, and somewhat realistic.

Yes, it looks like a very realistic brewery. As an engine? Not so much.
    Like someone else said, it looks like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. I kept expecting Augustus Gloop to follow Scotty in the pipe.
    The bridge? It looks modern. Hell, my iPhone looks more advanced than the LCARS display.

So it's only modern if it contains the styling of contemporary Apple products?
    ... I'd ask what you're on but I suspect you're drinking gasoline.
    One of my fleet mates said it best,

"Most people that didn't like JJ Trek either didn't see TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't like TOS."

Your fleet mate would appear to be almost as wrong and deluded as you then.
    No, it's not a fallacy. If you make a product geared towards a certain demographic that sells well than it is popular amongst that demographic.

Which has nothing to do with the appeal to popularity.
    Because I am too lazy to explain to someone with zero idea of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

I'm sorry, but those are OPINIONS.

It's an opinion is it?
    Alright then, if it's not brainless, explain how a supernova can both obliterate other star systems and somehow be neutralised at the source by a black hole (especially since supernova remnants often BECOME black holes).
    Explain why black holes are time portals sometimes and destructive other times. Explain why Kirk immediately gets bumped from cadet to captain. Explain why Kirk is such a butthead.

Everything I've said has it's basis in fact, and not on your appeal to popularity fallacies.
    The FACT is that it is the highest grossing Trek movie of all time. The FACT is it was one of the best reviewed movies of 2009. The FACT is it is still highly reviewed by critics and normal movie goers. The FACT is it regenerated interest in a dying franchise.

Read the wiki entry above then hang your head in shame.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What does any of this have to do with wussy Romulans??
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited March 2013
    Actually scaled for the time and its costs its Not the highest grossing of all time its actually a flop (did not make three times its production /distribution cost)

if you do not count PRE RELEASE promotion its a success
    Live long and Prosper