test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Duty Officer Pack Promo (Chance to win a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship!)

2»

Comments

• itpalgitpalg Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I see Cryptic's/PWE's grammar skills from in-game extend to their announcements too:
    or Fleet Store only if you have obtained the both the Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Carrier.
    ITPaladin.png
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Bought 4 (mainly cause I wanted to try buy zen with the phone), and got some Lobi Crystals, then bought a new outfit. :P
    signwidrona.png
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    brigadooom wrote: »
    Buy keys, sell keys on exchange for EC, buy attack ship with EC.

Allow me to debunk your logic Geth style.

I haven't done the baseline math for c-points>keys>ec>jem'hadar attack ship, but I did do the math for c-points>fleet modules>ec>jem'hadar attack ship.

Note, this was done a few days ago, so not sure of the current price.

I looked at the price of an Attack Ship, then calculated how many fleet modules would be required to purchase it.
    The answer was 100.
    Each Fleet Module costs 5 dollars.
    100x$5=500 dollars.

And as a rough calucation, you'd need 5 keys to equal the value of one fleet module.

Or to look at it another way, if you saved your sub stipend every month, you'd be able to afford an Attack ship in 8 years.

A single ship that costs more then a lifetime sub?
    Frozone has an appropriate comment which can be applied here:
    Now, that ain't right!

If this was the real world, the sellers would be arrested for price fixing.
    And I'm pretty sure if someone posts an Attack ship for a low price, it's snapped up in seconds and reposted at the high price.

I'm at the point where I see red and more red everytime Cryptic does this.
    I know from bitter experience I'm not going to get an Attack Ship, so why bother doing it over and over again?

And to clarify, I don't want it to satisfy my own ego, I want it to unlock the Attack Ship Hanger pet.
    If I had the Attack Ship, I'd then be motivated to spend money to buy the Dreadnaught.
    But since I know I'm not going to get the ship, Cryptic loses both the money I would spend trying and the keys I would purchase to acquire the lobi for the Dreadnaught.
    Also, I'm a big time Jem'Hadar/Dominion fan, so these ships have an extra special meaning for me.

But I'm getting the strong sense there's a case of elitism going on here:
    Elitist Player has an Attack Ship, they don't want it to be commonly available because it will make them less special for having one.
    Therefore we're going to actively resist making it available easily.

Cryptic needs to come to their senses and put it in the c-store for a reasonable price!

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lol @ Tilarta

It's the shiny carrot on the end of a string. why would they make it EASY to get?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tilarta wrote: »

I haven't done the baseline math for c-points>keys>ec>jem'hadar attack ship, but I did do the math for c-points>fleet modules>ec>jem'hadar attack ship.

I looked at the price of an Attack Ship, then calculated how many fleet modules would be required to purchase it.
    The answer was 100.
    100x$5=500 dollars.

And as a rough calucation, you'd need 5 keys to equal the value of one fleet module.

Or to look at it another way, if you saved your sub stipend every month, you'd be able to afford an Attack ship in 8 years.

And I'm pretty sure if someone posts an Attack ship for a low price, it's snapped up in seconds and reposted at the high price.

I know from bitter experience I'm not going to get an Attack Ship, so why bother doing it over and over again?

And to clarify, I don't want it to satisfy my own ego, I want it to unlock the Attack Ship Hanger pet.
    If I had the Attack Ship, I'd then be motivated to spend money to buy the Dreadnaught.
    But since I know I'm not going to get the ship, Cryptic loses both the money I would spend trying and the keys I would purchase to acquire the lobi for the Dreadnaught.
    Also, I'm a big time Jem'Hadar/Dominion fan, so these ships have an extra special meaning for me.

Elitist Player has an Attack Ship, they don't want it to be commonly available because it will make them less special for having one.

Cryptic needs to come to their senses and put it in the c-store for a reasonable price!

Go crazy and spend $x on doff packs until you get lucky, or pop for the guaranteed price, your choice. Not my fault they're crazy expensive :P
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cryptiecopcryptiecop Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited March 2013

The answer was 100.
    100x$5=500 dollars.

Say 5 mill per module, lowest JHAS was 287 mill as of 1 hr ago...and yeah, you're pretty much right on...

2 modules = 10 mill / 10.00
    4 modules = 20 mill / 20.00
    8 modules = 40 mill / 40.00
    16 = 80 / 80.00
    32 = 160.00 / 160.00
    64 = 320.00 / 320.00

That 320.00 would easily buy someone a lifetime sub...and a far better deal vs spending a whole lot of money + monthly sub (for some players) for just 1 ship for 1 character...
    cmbanner2015.jpg
  • nekbeerdnekbeerd Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    cryptiecop wrote: »
    From now until server maintenance during the morning (PDT) of Thursday, March 28, 2013, every Fleet Support Duty Officer Pack you open will also* include either 10 Lobi Crystals or a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship**!

* NOTE: This is in addition to the normal items listed below

Just need to read the fine print...nowhere does it state that each pack will provide 10 lobi...

Are you really this dense? You bolded the most irrelevant word in the entire statement. Perhaps you simply don't have a good understanding of logical statements. Let me simplify this for you.

Every Fleet Support Duty Officer Pack you open will also include either 10 Lobi Crystals or a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship

This statement very clearly indicates that every single pack will contain either one or the other. If it doesn't contain a JHAS it should contain 10 lobi. There is literally no room for misinterpretation here and quite frankly I'm amazed you need this explained to you.

If someone has opened a pack that contains neither of these items it is a bug and needs to be addressed.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    brigadooom wrote: »
    Go crazy and spend $x on doff packs until you get lucky, or pop for the guaranteed price, your choice. Not my fault they're crazy expensive :P

Yes, I know you didn't cause this situation.

But still, it's not a good idea to advise players to spend lots of money via c-store to get this item.

Never get a job as an investment broker!

By the way, if people are really that obssessed that they'll spend that much for one ship for one character?

And the more people who do it, the more PW thinks this is a good idea, the more they'll do it again in the future.

If the playerbase had just said no the first time it came out, we wouldn't be at the point we are now.
    With a new random reward ship every so often and the Attack Ship continually being rotated back in every now and then.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2013

The answer was 100.
    100x$5=500 dollars.

I don't agree that this is a case of elitism going on here.
    I'm sorry, I'm not a native English speaker and there is a word in my country for this for which I do not now the appropriate English version....but basicly it describes that the image of a thing grows so popular and becomes trendy, so it's a must have for all who want to be popular or to "fit in".

About Cryptic, I don't agree that they should put the ship in C-Store, ever. Only ships that go in C-Store should remain the faction ships and unless a Dominion faction is introduced sometime, I don't want to see it in C-Store.
    I really feel for the people who have difficulties unlocking the hangar pet for the Dreadnought, but I do support Cryptic in their decision to make the hangar unlockable if you own the JHAS. The JHAS hangar is possibly the best hangar out there, back to back with B'rothls and Scorpion Fighters (although I don't agree them making a rep. item have such and edge in hangars as they have atm.) and given the kind of ship the Dread is, it is expected to be more complicated to get such a hangar for it.

IMHO, the JHAS is the most overrated ship in the history of gaming. Yeah, it has a strong bite and very sharp teeth, but it's not nearlly that kind of superior as many make it out to be. I had my fair share of dealings against JHAS and it's a mighty fine ship, but I think that it's reputation preceeds it.
    Even since it came out as the first cross-faction ship (at the time it really had a good edge over the competiton) it has been established as "the best" ship in STO and that rep. still sticks to it. That's why everyone and their grandma wants to fly one.

And about the exchange prices? People just taking advantage of the notorious reputation of the JHAS that makes everyone want one. And it's scarsity because it never came out of lockbox underlines this. Especially now that it is a requirement for the Dread hangar pet.
    And people still laugh and throw rocks at me when I say that we need a Ferengi faction in STO. :rolleyes:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Cryptic couldn't give "insert most offensive term you can think of here" they just want your money and by the looks of it the majority will happily part with their cash for this 'game'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Cryptic couldn't give "insert most offensive term you can think of here" they just want your money and by the looks of it the majority will happily part with their cash for this 'game'.

Depressing isn't it?

I'm enjoying the latest rationalization though: That it's OK to buy these things providing you're only after the Lobi.

Which is basically saying $200 for a ship is good value.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • keeny75keeny75 Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Why does Perfect world run these mid week promos?
    Can't speak for the rest of the world but most Brits get paid on the last day of the month and this promo finishes on the 28th.. Running a promo mid month when money start to get a little tight is a little silly.

It's the same reason you don't see shops selling Christmas products in the summer. The return wouldn't be as profitable.

Don't you think everyone would like to have a shot at getting that elusive bug ship? Not to mention that its the end of the financial year and company's hand out pay bonuses at the end of this month and next month.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • arvenirarvenir Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Obviously it's because they don't want you to spend too much on their game instead of spending it on whatever else you spent it on in real life. Quite considerate of them lol
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    keeny75 wrote: »
    Why does Perfect world run these mid week promos?
    Can't speak for the rest of the world but most Brits get paid on the last day of the month and this promo finishes on the 28th.. Running a promo mid month when money start to get a little tight is a little silly.

It's the same reason you don't see shops selling Christmas products in the summer. The return wouldn't be as profitable.

Don't you think everyone would like to have a shot at getting that elusive bug ship? Not to mention that its the end of the financial year and company's hand out pay bonuses at the end of this month and next month.

because on 29th there is a big christian (Fri)day - christ was killed - where everybody sits at home and is gaming away.. ?
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Bought a dozen of them; got a lot of blue commodities only - sad...
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • cryptiecopcryptiecop Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    nekbeerd wrote: »
    Are you really this dense? You bolded the most irrelevant word in the entire statement. Perhaps you simply don't have a good understanding of logical statements. Let me simplify this for you.

Every Fleet Support Duty Officer Pack you open will also include either 10 Lobi Crystals or a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship

This statement very clearly indicates that every single pack will contain either one or the other. If it doesn't contain a JHAS it should contain 10 lobi. There is literally no room for misinterpretation here and quite frankly I'm amazed you need this explained to you.

If someone has opened a pack that contains neither of these items it is a bug and needs to be addressed.

Well gee Mr. Wizard, thanks for clarifying that for all of us little people who misinterpreted the *note...:rolleyes:
    cmbanner2015.jpg
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    v4liance wrote: »
    For a limited time, there is a chance to receive a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship or Lobi Crystals upon opening a Fleet Support Duty Officer Pack!

Click here to read more.

[UPDATE] Hey folks, looks like I made a mistake - Fleet Support Duty Officer Packs are not being discontinued after this promotion. Really sorry about any confusion!

I look forward to pewbranflakes coming back after his vacation or whatever he is doing. o.o
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I look forward to pewbranflakes coming back after his vacation or whatever he is doing. o.o

No offense to the Flake man, but he has made his share of boo boos

you know a Human thing Mr. Perfect
    GwaoHAD.png
  • ussfuryussfury Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    U.S. tends to get paid bi-weeky or on the 1st and 15th. They might be scheduling around that.
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ussfury wrote: »
    U.S. tends to get paid bi-weeky or on the 1st and 15th. They might be scheduling around that.

some jobs, like mine. pay every week. so not too much of an issue for me.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited March 2013
    Closing this down, as the promotion ended this morning :) Hope you all got some great DOFFs and maybe even an awesome ship!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
This discussion has been closed.