test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone else getting stupidly high GPU temps?

My rig:

M5A99X EVO
2x 1363-KR GTX460SC in SLi
8gb RAM
CM V6 GT
CX600M

Runs every other game I play at around 60, 65, 70*, which are the normal load temps for the GTX 460s. Including FarCry 3, uber-modded Skyrim, Interwebs Tanks, etc.

Played STO a few months ago just fine, no problems at all.

Patched and fired it up today, standing in ESD..

Instant 80*, black screen, stuttering sound. Have to reboot.

Get into a DSE, instant 80*, black screen, stuggering sound. Have to reboot.

Re-greased the primary card's heatsync (as the secondary card never tops 55*).

Instant 80*, black scree, stuttering sound. Have to reboot.

Play Skyrim for 2 hours, card never tops 70*.

Come back to STO, instant 80*, black scree, stuttering sound. Have to reboot.

Something's not right here.
Post edited by wunjee on

Comments

• dazzajdazzaj Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I was getting high GPU temps. 95C on my ATi HD4850
    So, I took the card out, removed the fan, cleaned the large wall of dust that had built up in the heatsink over the years, Applied new Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound to the GPU/Heatsink. put it all back together..

Now I run STO without it ever going over 55C
    STO Guides for your Android? Yes. Yes we do. STO Guides - Google Play.
  • erockererocker Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    One thing I can think of is Skyrim automatically uses VSYNC which limits your frames to your monitor's refresh rate. Try turning VSYNC on in STOL, it won't work your GPU's as hard.

Also, if you haven't try blowing the dust out of your GPU's, perhaps reapply some new thermal paste.. It should help with temps with everything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The above suggestions are good. Don't forget to apply the thermal paste to your body as well. (wink)

I would also advise on taking the cards out and taking some compressed air to the heatsinks.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • xdotsxxdotsx Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Clean the dust out of your PC, give the dust filters and fans extra attention.

If that still doesn't work well, your chassis ventilation might be insufficient. How many fans do you have and where? rpm and size, maybe brand if known?

Btw. you say "instant 80 degree C" -> how instantly? A chip can't go from 40 to 80 in like 5 seconds, at least not if there's a heatsink on it.

(this forum doesn't support the degree-symbol? wth...)
  • drachenfelesdrachenfeles Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm afraid I can't concur, my rig is pretty cool with STO running
    apart from xdotsx's advise try different drivers, there are known issues with certain releases
  • stainer2ustainer2u Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I can't say im over heating either...

I don't allow any of my gpu's or cpu's to exceed there normal speeds to casuse heat problems.. I'm running a simple

AMD FX9120 4.0ghz 8-core
    ATI HD 7400+ 2gig card

Crazy part is my manual for the computer claims I can over clock the video card by 500ghz and I can over clock the cpu by 1.0ghz = crazy.

as of yesterday there is no way I can over heat anything in my pc due to this game. reason being is that it times out 24/7 now due to login issues. So on the good side STO is saving my GPU and CPU from heat relative issues.. Can I get a Amem!
    edited March 2013
    Oh, just in case you got the idea to use a vacuum or some pressurized air to clean the fans -> Stick a pen or something in them, just make sure they can't move.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm sure OP knows how to clean his rig, the problem is most likely V-Sync. There's absolutely no reason it should be off for the majority of software out there.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Not sure if you use the framerate limit option or if it's an issue for you, but it is currently borked and is always set to off whenever you log on. I have to set it to 30 to prevent my GPU from overheating since it's a low end PoS.

Several patches ago graphics options were all broken (which Cryptic knew about in advance and decided to push out to holodeck anyway, putting anyone with a low or mid range rigs at risk). That may or may not be a factor and you may want to review your graphics options and see if anything is out of the ordinary.
  • martin1970giesenmartin1970giesen Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have same problem, the frame rate in the selection sceen and loading screen goes up to 900 fps, thats what my problem is.
    Keybind: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=9355971&postcount=463
    Bone1970 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
    Bone Trader don't belief in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
    Bone2 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. KDF Eng.
    Warning: Not a native English-speaker, sorry if my English sucks.
    edited March 2013
    Personally, I run STO in a borderless window, so the framerate is limited to my native/desktop rate.
    edited March 2013
    You should indeed enable V-Sync. Try forcing it in your video drivers if STO loses the setting or if it's bugged.

Vertical sync matches the framerate to your display refresh rate, most likely 60 or 75 Hz / fps, regardless if fullscreen or not. Also eliminates tearing of the screen, which can be annoying especially on low refresh rate screens. So it's an overall visual improvement. It's found in most games gfx menus as well as most video driver menus.
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    xdotsx wrote: »
    You should indeed enable V-Sync.
    In STO, this is found here:

Game Menu... Options... Video
    ... Monitor vertical sync [On | Off]
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • pokersmith1pokersmith1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    olivia211 wrote: »
    Don't forget to apply the thermal paste to your body as well. (wink)

Meaning... I'm hot??? :D
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
  • iggmann88iggmann88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Something I've noticed as of recent is that "Limit FPS" and "V-sync" don't work or revert after exiting the game... Even running in a window FPS hit way past 100fps, causing high heat. Even adaptive v-sync in the nvidia driver doesnt seem to be working, its an annoyance having to re-enable limit fps every time I start the game.
    edited March 2013
    Seriously though, if you can render more than 60 FPS, enough to get your GPU to overheat, you may as well run in Borderless Window mode. Lets you alt-tab and such easier too. I tend to surf the web while I fly through sectors, keeping an eye on STO is in the background.
    edited March 2013
    darkjeff wrote: »
    Seriously though, if you can render more than 60 FPS, enough to get your GPU to overheat, you may as well run in Borderless Window mode. Lets you alt-tab and such easier too. I tend to surf the web while I fly through sectors, keeping an eye on STO is in the background.

Borderless or not, running in a window I'm still hitting 3 digits, causing excess heat. V-sync doesn't seem to work at all in a window, and my desktop only runs at 60hz. Only way is to "Limit FPS" but it keeps turning back off.
  • aureleusaureleus Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Running at 1080p with nearly maxed out settings on my HD4890 and I'm only hitting Max of 130F *around 54-55c* at full load. This is with vsync on as well, those of you having issues you may want to try rolling back your drivers or using this ingame command, /maxfps an what ever your refresh rate is*/maxfps 60*, this command forces the game/video card to not go over your set value.

This also prevents your video card from Redlining *Constant 100% load* which leads to excessive heat.
    edited March 2013
    iggmann88 wrote: »
    Borderless or not, running in a window I'm still hitting 3 digits, causing excess heat. V-sync doesn't seem to work at all in a window, and my desktop only runs at 60hz. Only way is to "Limit FPS" but it keeps turning back off.

That's really weird, the concept of a single window not matching the refresh rate of the rest of the desktop boggles my mind. :confused:
    edited March 2013
    The screen has the same refresh rate everywhere, the window is just drawn with a different framerate than the desktop.

The general problem here actually boggles my mind, I haven't heard of a game stressing components much more than modern shooters, RPGs and the like.

I'm once again wondering if the system(s) is / are properly cooled. You might want to get that issue fixed before summer.
    edited March 2013
    xdotsx wrote: »
    The screen has the same refresh rate everywhere, the window is just drawn with a different framerate than the desktop.

The general problem here actually boggles my mind, I haven't heard of a game stressing components much more than modern shooters, RPGs and the like.

I'm once again wondering if the system(s) is / are properly cooled. You might want to get that issue fixed before summer.

I don't know about others, but my temps are well within "acceptable" for my GPU, 85c, loud fan noise mind you... But I've still got plenty of head room left to keep temps under control.

The issue is V-sync nor limit fps is working properly, if I happen to be looking at a wall, or chilling at the fleet base, my FPS will hit 100+. I get a loading screen my FPS jumps up to 400+. When V-sync does work, which is rare, my temps ride in the 70s and is dead silent. And the problem with "Limit FPS" is it turns itself off.

One thing I've noticed, at least with my computer, is that games that run under 60fps, but use 99% of GPU generate less heat than a game running 100+ FPS but only use 80% of GPU. Not sure how or why.