Install Arc
Options

Would you guys like to see a new class?

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    How can you get more magical than pulling a Tychen's Rift out of nowhere?

technically, you're using your ship's deflector to deliver a concentrated beam of particles at a specific point in space, causing said rift to form; it's not really magic
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    esquire1980esquire1980 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My 2 cents for a crafter class as well. STO already has the ships for it and with a crafting revamp, which is supposed to be on the board anyway, it shouldn't be too far-fetched.

Add steel, iron, ores etc etc etc to the instances of the exploration missions. (a reason to go back there other than 1400 dil per/day) and have quality numbers that matter in the crafting process which would futher create exploration to find the best resources. Some of these spawn spots could even be heavily guarded by NPCs allowing for crafters to "hire" and/or group with combat toons to clear the way. But, these crafters would have to make (with much difficulty) at least as good of product as you can get elsewhere in the game. Allow one of these exploration instances to be adopted via a crafter to place shop/vendors in for sale when the crafter is offline (give a reason for even combat toons to go there).

An unlocked alpha would be another great addition to STO as well as a renegade. This alpha would be red to fed and kling and would need to be played well to even survive. Maybe even a bounty system for these alphas with ways to "hunt" them when online also. Secret unlock system that players have to figure out and takes quite some effort to obtain.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Um...hrmmm. Um...hrmmm.

Okay, so there are three Careers in STO.

5 abilities is all that separates them in Space.
    5 abilities, skill build, and kits is all that separates them on Ground.

Tac and Eng are already both part of Operations.
    Sci doesn't exist, so to speak. Sci is a mix of Operations (Tac/Eng) and some dabbling in Science. Sci are basically Eng/Sci, Tac/Sci, etc, etc, etc - as in they're a mix of those kind of skills/abilities. If one's looking at ST to STO, that is.

There are three Starfleet Divisions: Command, Operations (where our Tac and Eng are), and Sciences. What Sciences does is not really represented in STO. Okay, it's a mini-game where you scan for particles, eh? It's mixed in with some Tac or Eng to give us the abilities Sci have.

I mentioned this recently (past day or two) in another thread about trying to make STO more ST-like in regard to Careers: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=577451

Unfortunately, this is biased toward Feds (simply don't have the information at hand if it's even available in a similar fashion for KDF)...but anyway:

Command Division
    Operations Division (Tactical/Engineer)
    Science Division

In many cases, the "heroes" would either be dual-spec or in some cases single-spec or even multi-spec.

So imagine, if along those lines (again, this is unfortunately Fed biased) that players could choose to play as the following:

Command/Command
    Command/Tac Ops
    Command/Eng Ops
    Command/Science
    Tac Ops/Command
    Tac Ops/Tac Ops
    Tac Ops/Eng Ops
    Tac Ops/Science
    Eng Ops/Command
    Eng Ops/Tac Ops
    Eng Ops/Eng Ops
    Eng Ops/Science
    Science/Command
    Science/Tac Ops
    Science/Eng Ops
    Science/Science

Where for the 5 abilities a player is able to select, they select 3 for the the item before the slash and 2 for the item after the slash. Only those that went Command/Command, Tac Ops/Tac Ops, Eng Ops/Eng Ops, Sci/Sci would be able to pick the "top" 2 of 5 abilities for that particular Division/Career. They've specialized.

This would reflect the nature of the "heroes" we see in Star Trek more - where Captains and Bridge Officers were often part of multiple divisions.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This already exists.

You mean the doff Transwarp grind?

Meh.

I want someone who uses words and not pew pew.
    <3
  • Options
    crappyforumnamecrappyforumname Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    When I think of a "command" class, I instantly think of the Mastermind archetype from CoV. Boffs and carrier pets fill the roles of henchmen. What else that a specialized class could add to that, I have no idea.
    edited March 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »

Meh.

I want someone who uses words and not pew pew.

Problem is that snoggymack22 is right.
    The way captains are able to be diplomats in principle is also accurate, as federation ambassadors appearently tend to have been officers before. Spock, Worf, STO-Picard...

I'd say the intelligence-officer might be the only halfway believable suggestion in this thread.

Command officer? Operations? Sorry but all our captain-classes are commissioned by Starfleet Command and get their missions from Starfleet Operations in HQ. Command duty is part of the stuff you learn on a starship. If you don't, you're just an enlisted crewman.

Before adding a new class, the existing ones should be fixed as in properly balanced IMO. Except for the teambuffs and some very specific abilities and only ground-skills they are too much the same thing and don't differ enough to be really different.

Similar thing goes for factions. The KDF-classes should be different from the fed-ones too, but that's a different story.
  • Options
    akurie666akurie666 Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    A trader would be neat. Instead of a kit he could use consumables that only he had access to. He would have to generate GPL with doff missions and class specific episodes focused around buying and selling to fund his operation(the dabo table would have to be fixed to accomodate). If he was a crumby trader he wouldn't have anything to fight with. So, he would have to really embellish the trader portion of his class to do well. He could even be neutral and go anywhere he pleases but that would raise a question with pvp affiliation, or perhaps he would not be allowed to pvp due to the nature of his unique abilities. he could even be allowed to team with either faction and help them do missions as a way for him to earn GPL. Perhaps the items he relies on to fight could also be dropped by npc's and the trader would sometimes have to buy them off of other players. He would have a chance to negotiate and haggle prices with actual people :3
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    akurie666 wrote: »
    A trader would be neat. Instead of a kit he could use consumables that only he had access too. He would have to generate GPL with doff missions and class specific episodes focused around buying and selling to fund his operation(the dabo table would have to be fixed to accomodate). If he was a crumby trader he wouldn't have anything to fight with. So, he would have to really embellish the trader portion of his class to do well. He could even be neutral and go anywhere he pleases but that would raise a question with pvp affiliation, or perhaps he would not be allowed to pvp due to the nature of his unique abilities. he could even be allowed to team with either faction and help them do missions as a way for him to earn GPL.

While a trader would truly be sweet and your ability-ideas sound fun, there are problems with some of them.

1. There are and never will be class-specific episodes, only objectives for specific classes. Implementing those into existing missions is one thing I tend to not believe will happen.

2. Teaming up cross-faction hasn't got to do with classes - it's in the programming. There's just no feature to do so as of yet, and I didn't hear or read of plans to change that. If that'd be possible some day - which I hope - it'd be for all classes.

3. Not allowing PVP for one specific class makes no sense and is not in the programming. It's open for all players.

4. Civilists are NPC's, player classes serve in the factional militaries. Traders as a class sadly make no real sense. If you have a D'Kora or Tuffli you can already come close to be a trader with the existing classes.
  • Options
    akurie666akurie666 Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    THey would exist as something on the side. Not a full fledged faction but a fun distraction. Also, what if they had a different crafting system that allowed them to make items the other factions could not and provide a service to the community. Who is to say what we can and can not do. The sky is the limit.
    Also, check my thread about a trading card style mini game
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=578431
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    THey would exist as something on the side. Not a full fledged faction but a fun distraction. Also, what if they had a different crafting system that allowed them to make items the other factions could not and provide a service to the community. Who is to say what we can and can not do. The sky is the limit.

I only listed things that don't work and will not work in the programming of the game.

My point is:
    A trader as a class still doesn't make sense as this game is still factional based and professional traders are never to become active-duty military unless they give up the trading to a very big extent (a soldier might sell something here and there, but that's about it).

A different crafting system is a completely different matter to talk about - I'm hoping for updates and changes to the crafting systems myself as there was talk about work into that direction in the more or less near future.

As for the minigame, new minigames are always cool, so nothing to say about that by me.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My point is:
    A trader as a class still doesn't make sense as this game is still factional based and professional traders are never to become active-duty military unless they give up the trading to a very big extent (a soldier might sell something here and there, but that's about it).
    Pretty much. Although it would be interesting to see a Ferengi faction, with trading as a component of the faction. But then it gets back to game model does not really provide any kind of support for trading resources. Besides the stuff I already mentioned such as sector space, the resource system doesnt support it--you can replicate complex components, no need to schlepp them around with a trader.
  • Options
    admiralbrad77admiralbrad77 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    It's an MMO so it has Tank, Healer and Fighter specializations. The game has different captains because the series had different captains. Kirk was a tactician, Picard was an archeologist, Janeway was an astrophysicist, Sisko was an engineer and I suppose you could call Archer another tactician, although I'm more inclined to think of him as a blundering idiot.
    I understand that in MMOs part of the reason for division of abilities is to encourage/force player interaction but I honestly hope no more classes are introduced and would much prefer if existing specializations were moved into the skill trees so players had more flexibility with their captains capabilities. The needs of commanding a combat capable spaceship that is used for a variety of purposes in deep space should require captains that are cross trained in a number of different disciplines. The demands of command are the completion of orders while guaranteeing the survival of ship and crew, everything else is and should be side professions.

im sorry to get off the subject at hand, but i got a quick question to ask. I have notice that a lot of people call Archer an idiot or "blundering idiot", I would like to know why??? He was captain during a time where we didnt know a lot about what was out there and we were "exploring" and as far as i see it I thought Tucker was the blundering idiot (saying that in a nice funny way). I mean Tucker was the one to get pregnant by an alien LOL :D.
  • Options
    drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've posted a suggestion for an intelligence officer in a previous thread and it took me ages to find it to paste here so here it is...

Intelligence! Not science, engineering or tactical because an intelligence agent could come from all three or none at all. Introduce a new class called the intelligence officer (Maybe Section 31 for feds) and the skills could be stealth in ground combat (introduce a couple of armours and make the sniper rifle REALLY shine) and give them a space ability called "Match Shield Harmonics" which allows all weapons to penetrate one ship's shields FULLY for a few seconds (after all, an intelligence officer would know the opponent a bit better, wouldn't they?). Long cooldown, obviously. Make it a pay to play class (like Artificer or Favoured Soul in DDO) and you don't need new ships for a while as people play with the ones they have with a slightly new skill build. As a bonus to the class, allow them to choose a tac, sci or eng skill for space and ground to really allow for some variety in the class... chance for no two intelligence officers to be identical.

This would lend itself to some great, unique to class missions (or optionals). Like the intelligence missions aboard enemy ships (Drumhead:TNG) or even our own side (Sons of Mogh DS9)? Sabotage missions aboard space stations and intelligence offices. More intrigue episodes like Who is the Judge in First City? Is it actually Martok in disguise (not really killed in honourable combat after all)? What happened to the Cardassian territories taken during the Dominion War? Could the Klingons have to retake an outpost or two and earn a (Unique?) cardassian rifle or other such goodie? Could the Feds need to help liberate a colony the Klingons have refused to concede?

A new class could breathe new life into the game with almost all the same models in game (ships, races and uniforms). Just add in some costume options, speech options and optionals and we're away.
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
    Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

• Options
    edited March 2013
    ... should point out it was initially written for a KDF thread hence the use of the term "our side" when referring to "Sons of Mogh" episode. :cool:
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”

• Options
    speciesonespeciesone Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    speciesone wrote: »
    I'd like them to split each of the existing player careers into the same categories that duty officers have:

Tactical: tactical officer, security officer
    Engineering: engineer, operations officer
    Science: science officer, medic

They could add a whole lot of fun stuff to the game by doubling the careers available and adding new abilities to each.

To further this thought, I'd give each career a 'major' and a 'minor', to reflect the officer's education at the academy. Here are some more ideas I had for ground abilities:

Tactics major: DPS buff allies, "red shirt" ensign companion (like a BOFF but an always available 'combat pet', even in areas where BOFFs are excluded)

Security major: better armor and weapon power (better tanking), self-buff DPS abilities

Engineering major: all of the constructs in game now (turrets, shields gens, drones, etc), can construct special high-DPS stationary weapons usable by any ally, better personal shields

Operations major: party-wide protection buffs, explosives, shield heals, apply stealth to self or ally

Science major: AOE damage dealer, ranged enemy debuffs

Medical major: single ally or AOE heals, devastating melee range enemy debuffs (hypo sprays, Kirk got a taste of one of those from McCoy once)

Any player can also choose a minor from these to get some of the ability of that career path. For example, a security officer with some medical abilities.

I'm not sure if kits would still be appropriate with this scheme. Perhaps they can just enhance the player's major and minor skills. I think that makes sense, the player would have learned the skills at the academy, the kit is just a tool for enhancing known skills.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    speciesone wrote: »
    I'd like them to split each of the existing player careers into the same categories that duty officers have:

Tactical: tactical officer, security officer
    Engineering: engineer, operations officer
    Science: science officer, medic

They could add a whole lot of fun stuff to the game by doubling the careers available and adding new abilities to each.

I have done right that. Split the 3 main divisions into 6 categories. Gave each division its own uniform and color.
  • Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    4th class in STO?

Civilian trader/rogue/mercenary/diplomat initially neutral to all other factions and able to transit all faction boundaries. Traits to include charisma, cunning, acumen, mechanical aptitude. No real ranks except "captain". Limited available BOFF slots. Limited DOFF slots. Levels by acquiring rep and prestige from interactions with all other factions.

No access to military uniforms, but more available "off-duty" uniforms.

No access to military ships, but has dedicated line of civilian transports, cargo ships and shuttles.

No initial access to military-grade weaponry, but later on at higher levels, black market access to military grade weaponry is available.

Civilian class could still do exploration sectors.

Larger civilian vessels have crafting console available but have to analyze an item before recreating it. Can create some high level, high quality items.

No access to STFs.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've posted a suggestion for an intelligence officer in a previous thread and it took me ages to find it to paste here so here it is...

Intelligence! Not science, engineering or tactical because an intelligence agent could come from all three or none at all. Introduce a new class called the intelligence officer (Maybe Section 31 for feds) and the skills could be stealth in ground combat (introduce a couple of armours and make the sniper rifle REALLY shine) and give them a space ability called "Match Shield Harmonics" which allows all weapons to penetrate one ship's shields FULLY for a few seconds (after all, an intelligence officer would know the opponent a bit better, wouldn't they?). Long cooldown, obviously. Make it a pay to play class (like Artificer or Favoured Soul in DDO) and you don't need new ships for a while as people play with the ones they have with a slightly new skill build. As a bonus to the class, allow them to choose a tac, sci or eng skill for space and ground to really allow for some variety in the class... chance for no two intelligence officers to be identical.

This would lend itself to some great, unique to class missions (or optionals). Like the intelligence missions aboard enemy ships (Drumhead:TNG) or even our own side (Sons of Mogh DS9)? Sabotage missions aboard space stations and intelligence offices. More intrigue episodes like Who is the Judge in First City? Is it actually Martok in disguise (not really killed in honourable combat after all)? What happened to the Cardassian territories taken during the Dominion War? Could the Klingons have to retake an outpost or two and earn a (Unique?) cardassian rifle or other such goodie? Could the Feds need to help liberate a colony the Klingons have refused to concede?

A new class could breathe new life into the game with almost all the same models in game (ships, races and uniforms). Just add in some costume options, speech options and optionals and we're away.

I'd put in a vote for an intel officer class, and it would fit in right well with a Rom faction if we ever get one. So there, there's even some justification for developing it.

Intel officers should get kits that allow them to masquerade as other factions (like holodisguises), stealth, pacify and confuse abilities, bombs, etc.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I'd put in a vote for an intel officer class, and it would fit in right well with a Rom faction if we ever get one. So there, there's even some justification for developing it.

Intel officers should get kits that allow them to masquerade as other factions (like holodisguises), stealth, pacify and confuse abilities, bombs, etc.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I specifically thought of the Stealth armour you can get for doing Alpha (KDF mission) and wondered if it could be expanded further to almost a personal cloak (like in ST:Insurrection) somehow.

Honestly, who wouldn't play Tal Shiar (or Tal Diann - Kinda like NCIS/military intelligence for the Romulans), Section 31/Starfleet Intelligence, Obsidian Order and KDF Intelligence? Could even be an impetus to introduce races with bonuses to this class like the Yridians, Ktarians or others.

• Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=578431

I had an idea for playable "supporting characters" that could include a whole range of non-Starfleet/KDF careers: Diplomats, Scientists, Merchants, Workers, etc.

They would not be as fully fleshed out as a normal player character and, while you could take one into combat it probably wouldn't be a good idea. You'd switch to this character for RP purposes, so they would basically have their own bio and inventory but use the ships and bridge officers of your normal crew. They would be "ground" characters only that you could switch to instead of your normal character.

There are obvious technical challenges attached to that notion and it would probably be just as easy if not easier to develop a limited "Civilian" career that you could devote a character slot to.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    gstamo01gstamo01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My thoughts on a Command class would be a hybrid of the three classes, as a Commander class should be able to do a little bit of everything.

Basically the class would have the Lt Cmd player abilities of all three classes with a fourth ability that is strickly Commander.

Fire On My Mark (ground/space)
    Cover Shield (ground) / EPS Power Transfer (space)
    Neural Neutralizer (ground) / Subnucleonic Beam (Space)

The fourth player ability would be something along the lines of Team Fortress or another group buff.

Realistically, it would just be easier to add Specialization points to the game that you level into once you've hit your 50.

Basically, give the player another 10-50 lvls of experience that gets spent into a Specialization skill tree that unlocks unique skills based on their class.
    You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online! :D
  • Options
    edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    There are a great many roles in Starfleet operations that don't necessarily fit into the Tactical/Engineering/Science triumvirate:

Adminstration, logistics, inspector general, judge advocate general, intelligence, reconnisance, cargo and transportation, navigation, flight control, communications, diplomacy, commissary, services, musicians and special services, etc.

I'm not saying all or any of these should be included as playable professions/divisions, but I do think that realistically being a Starfleet officer should have more choices than fixing stuff, healing stuff, or shooting stuff.
  • Options
    proteus22proteus22 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    well they already in the show have this . picard a nd kirk and riker were command class data geordi obrien and scotty were ops or operations and dr mcoy and crusher and spock were part of the science division.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »

Nah. I mean the Diplomacy system, which was put in long before DOFFs existed. It's all still there. With first contact missions and everything. Including the still broken since it launched pinnacle DS9 Diplomacy Voting system.

Your title is ambassador. Your rewards are the diplomacy uniform and a cross-faction BOFF.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What title do the Klingon's have for an intelligence operative?
    I could see section 31, Tal'shiar, etc. as a 4th class. It would have an emphasis on stealth, covert operations, spying, kidnapping and sabotage, never direct confrontation. It would not be a DPS class. But for that to work it would require a whole group of missions as well as new weapons and equipment, sniper rifles would need to really work like a sniper rifle, single shots at extreme distance, drugs and poisons for interrogation and control or for dealing death from the shadows. Personal cloaking devices, traps and timed explosives or remotely controlled explosives. Stealth ships that could sneak in to slip saboteurs and or explosives aboard an enemy. A combat style that depends on catching the targets by surprise and keeping them in the dark, because to be revealed means a quick death.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Klingon Imperial Intelligence is called Klingon Imperial Intelligence... we are warriors, not wordsmiths. We like entomology not etymology. :D

• Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,847 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I had an idea for playable "supporting characters" that could include a whole range of non-Starfleet/KDF careers: Diplomats, Scientists, Merchants, Workers, etc.

Great suggestion...Diplomats, Merchants/traders, Bartenders (for real) or other civilians, Marauders or Section 31...I can see the possibilities :P
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Klingon Imperial Intelligence is called Klingon Imperial Intelligence... we are warriors, not wordsmiths. We like entomology not entymology. :D

Klingons AND Intelligence? In the same title and description? Isn't that like "military intelligence"? Ya know...an oxymoron? ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    pyryck wrote: »
    Klingons AND Intelligence? In the same title and description? Isn't that like "military intelligence"? Ya know...an oxymoron? ;)

I have often thought of K.I.I. as being the type to ask you - to your face - "Are you a spy?" Then, when you deny it, they shout "Liar!" and kill you... just to be sure.
    :P

• Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think most of these would be better supported with themed kits rather than classes.

With new classes, they'd need to do new kits anyway... So they'd be better off just doing the kits and letting the current classes use them, sometimes across class.