test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

This is a bunch of targ dung (insane damage on solo mission)

itpalgitpalg Member Posts: 340 Arc User
After dying twice to this bu...targ dung dps I just closed my game window and said to hell with it.

I am done with this mission tonight.

I don't know how the hell this mission dev expects people to defend against this damage.

Every time I get within tractor beam range it uses it and does insane damage with this, and so I tried being at range but it still does insane damage with beams and torps. I got rid of my mines the second round but that was a mistake since I have to tab back to incoming heavy plasma torps instead of my mines chasing them down more often. It was taking forever to bring down the shields enough. I switched tact boffs too from high yield / tact buff to fire at will/spread. No help there.

I tried two different sci boffs too. One with just transf shield and sci team, another sci team, tract beam....ugh.

So how the hell are you supposed to survive being hit for 40026 (I assume parens are the full damage that would have occured without resists/shields).

StupidinsanedamageSTO_zps213ce48a.png
ITPaladin.png
Post edited by itpalg on

Comments

• Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    itpalg wrote: »
    After dying twice to this bu...targ dung dps I just closed my game window and said to hell with it.

I don't know how the hell this mission dev expects people to defend against this damage.

Every time I get within tractor beam range it uses it and does insane damage with this, and so I tried being at range but it still does insane damage with beams and torps. I got rid of my mines the second round but that was a mistake since I have to tab back to incoming heavy plasma torps instead of my mines chasing them down more often. It was taking forever to bring down the shields enough. I switched tact boffs too from high yield / tact buff to fire at will/spread. No help there.

I tried two different sci boffs too. One with just transf shield and sci team, another sci team, tract beam....ugh.

So how the hell are you supposed to survive being hit for 40026 (I assume parens are the full damage that would have occured without resists/shields).

Um... could I perhaps recommend you hit Brace for Impact... and shoot down the torps... and then blow it apart? The D'deridex is nasty, but it's not invincible. Also I would recommend EPtS just so you can get the shield heal and hardening.

Also I am looking at your build and seeing a ton of torps. I would recommend you switch to a 6 BA 1 torp setup (torp on front, BAs everywhere else). Then you can broadside the sucker to death. Also EPtS3 and EPtW2 are your friend.

No offense, but looking at your BOff layout, frankly I am not surprised you got owned.

Here's a good build that will get you what you need:

Lt Tac: Tactical Team 1, Tactical Team 2
    Cmdr Engi: Engineering Team 1, Emergency Power to Weapons 2, Emergency Power to Shields 3, Auxiliary to the Structural Integrity Field 3
    Lt Engi: Emergency Power to Shields 1, Emergency Power to Weapons 2
    Lt Sci: Hazard Emitters 1, Transfer Shield Strength 2

You can train every ability there at the BOff trainer on Earth Space Dock except for Aux2SIF3 and EPtS3. If you are an engineer, you can train EPtS3, if you aren't an engineer, put a Reverse Shield Polarity 2 there. The Aux2SIF you can get from a purple engineering BOff on the exchange.

As for weapons, I would use 3 Beam arrays 1 torp on front, 3 beam arrays on rear.

Just keep cycling Tactical teams, since it will basically keep your shield facing that the enemy is on strong, and keep cycling your EPtS and EPtW and you will be able to beat it.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for the laugh. Clearly a player error, D'derix class vessels are fairly easy to deal with. Just get hull to hull with it and let it hit you with its torps, so it will blow itself up.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Its a challenge alright, those things can kill my levelled toons if I'm not paying attention to them.

First, there are some bridge officer skills you can use to avoid tractor beam, such as Polarize Hull (eng) and Attack Pattern Omega (tac), which you need to have anyway.

For the torpedoes, you can try launching a group of mines as soon as you see the first torp come out (use a mine type that launches multiples, such as Quantum or Plasma). Then move behind them. The mines will either target the torps, or the torps will shift to the mines. Then you can go have your way wit the fat TRIBBLE.

Also he seems to have multiple launchers or a 360 arc, so he will fire even when his back is facing you. Stay sharp
  • Options
    rabusorabuso Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    u made my day man.. :D

i just cant stop laughing...
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ugh. 'Ground Zero'. I hate the Sithesh. I usually end up killing it with warp plasma, because even with the target shields subsystem ability I can't get through that thing's shields. Needless to say, it takes a while.

The torps can be dealt with a number of ways. My personal favourite is a combination of mines and tractor beam repulsors, so that I don't tie up any of my weapons dealing with them; but stuff like fire at will or torp spread will also work. Hit evasive and run away from them to give yourself more time to take care of them; but don't go too far, or the Warbird's health might reset.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    wow, complete and utter failure in the BOFF and weapon section (3 torps front?srsly?)...that is not even funny.

also, i think you are playing it on advanced difficulty...why? You are obviously not cut out for it (yet)
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Some here are clearly missing the point.

I have played many at advanced difficulty. I didn't post the first destruction. I was taken down in a matter of seconds at close range. There is no way to respond to that kind of dps.

This thing has heavy plasma torp spread/volley so taking those point blank killed me before I could react.

Some of you seem to think that what I have showing is the only thing I have, despite me clearly saying something different in the post (changed out boffs, changed out weapons, etc).
    ITPaladin.png
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Wow. You're playing it on Advanced, you don't have an actual ship yet, and your loadout is all over the place. No wonder you're getting your TRIBBLE handed to you. I advise coming back in a level when you have an actual ship, and fitting your ship better using the suggestions recommended above. You'll find that once you do, it turns into a cakewalk.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    capnmanx wrote: »
    tractor beam repulsors
    Yeah, if you have the science slots for it TBRs are hilarious, it'll push the heavy plasma torps back into them. They nuke themselves. :D
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    darkjeff wrote: »
    Yeah, if you have the science slots for it TBRs are hilarious, it'll push the heavy plasma torps back into them. They nuke themselves. :D

Reminds me of my post in pve bugs.

I have noticed for some reason heavy plasma torps being shot by npcs and then turning on their friends or on themselves. I have nothing to do with it so I figure it is a bug.
    Wow. You're playing it on Advanced, you don't have an actual ship yet, and your loadout is all over the place. No wonder you're getting your TRIBBLE handed to you. I advise coming back in a level when you have an actual ship, and fitting your ship better using the suggestions recommended above. You'll find that once you do, it turns into a cakewalk.

Yet another person that failed to read.

Since when is a captain level ship not an "actual" ship?
    ITPaladin.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    ITPaladin.png
  • Options
    maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited March 2013

the problem is ur boffs suck. where is tact team? how do u possibly expect to keep ur sheilds up?

my advice change to tact team emergacy power to shields 1 double up on that. aux to strucural hazzard emitter and TSS 1 or 2

ps

dred to see what kind of consoles u are using.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    let me put this together: you play a mission on advanced difficulty, with a ship that is borderline useless for single player content (borderline, because any ship that is setup right works), with abilitys and weapon that are useless or ineffective for that sort of mission (4 of 7 weapon slots are torpedos :confused:)
    I see 2x EPtAUX1...why? No HE, TSS, TT1, AUX2SIF, RSP...

and you complain that the boss type enemy, that has 1 ability that is powerfull enough (yet destroyable) to actually destroy a player ship, does so...

further you state that your setup and ship are not the point, well guess what. Abilities to counter heavy torpedos are key to this encounter, be it by destroying them or outhealing...yes outhealing is possible since as long as your shields are up the torpedos do not harm you much, period.

but if you think the game is too difficult for you from this point on, so be it. Good day sir.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    the problem is ur boffs suck. where is tact team? how do u possibly expect to keep ur sheilds up?

my advice change to tact team emergacy power to shields 1 double up on that. aux to strucural hazzard emitter and TSS 1 or 2

ps

dred to see what kind of consoles u are using.
    baudl wrote: »
    let me put this together: you play a mission on advanced difficulty, with a ship that is borderline useless for single player content (borderline, because any ship that is setup right works), with abilitys and weapon that are useless or ineffective for that sort of mission (4 of 7 weapon slots are torpedos :confused:)
    I see 2x EPtAUX1...why? No HE, TSS, TT1, AUX2SIF, RSP...

and you complain that the boss type enemy, that has 1 ability that is powerfull enough (yet destroyable) to actually destroy a player ship, does so...

further you state that your setup and ship are not the point, well guess what. Abilities to counter heavy torpedos are key to this encounter, be it by destroying them or outhealing...yes outhealing is possible since as long as your shields are up the torpedos do not harm you much, period.

but if you think the game is too difficult for you from this point on, so be it. Good day sir.

O M G does no one even bother to read the replies or even the original post?
    ITPaladin.png
  • Options
    captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited March 2013

We all have read the original post its just thats not the issue. Its you and your skill level thats the issue. Anyone with the proper BOFF layout, weapons, and gear wouldnt even get hit with that damage. Also, there are 3 levels of difficulty to that you can play at and the one you are playing at is too hard for your skill level which is why you are getting hit for 40k and being blown to bits. Someone who has better gear, weapons, and skills could play at that level and easily beat that at advanced.

You are trying to blame the devs for massive damage when you are playing at a skill level you are not ready for, which is not thier fault.

Thanks for the laugh
  • Options
    fllyraenfllyraen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Not all content is tuned to allow everyone to faceroll their way to victory.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    We all have read the original post its just thats not the issue. Its you and your skill level thats the issue. Anyone with the proper BOFF layout, weapons, and gear wouldnt even get hit with that damage. Also, there are 3 levels of difficulty to that you can play at and the one you are playing at is too hard for your skill level which is why you are getting hit for 40k and being blown to bits. Someone who has better gear, weapons, and skills could play at that level and easily beat that at advanced.

You are trying to blame the devs for massive damage when you are playing at a skill level you are not ready for, which is not thier fault.

Thanks for the laugh

I beg to differ.

It is quite obvious that people are not bothering to read with comprehension my original post and replies after it.

I clearly state that I said I changed out boffs and weapons trying different things. The gateway and / or screenshot are not indicative of my 100% all the time setup.

One person even asked about where is tact team when clearly I had already stated I tried a boff with it.

Once again I ask:

Does no one bother to read?
    ITPaladin.png
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    We read it and come to the conclusion that you dont read our posts. Let me be clear: I know people leveling on Elite-Difficulty without probs, and since elite is more difficult than advanced, I come to the conclusion you simply arent fit to play on advance. There is another point: HY-Torps do massive damage, thats why they are targetable. And they wont do massive damage, if you can hold your shields up on the side, and thats fairly easy.

And to your pic: If you even try such a ridiculously -laughable- setup, we can assume the other ones arent any better. Player error is still a player error, and when you play on advanced difficulty, errors will hurt.

So dont blame anyone else that you cant do it. Look for a proper layout (which must not be the top of the top) and nuke that little warbird out of the sytem. Beam fire at will and 125 weapons energy will just do the trick.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Trying to be nicer than some people, but mostly they're right, your setup is.....questionable, and losing your temper on an internet board is just asking for flaming. For one, it looks like you're trying to use torpedoes to bring down shields, when in fact they're for use after the shields are down (they suck against shields). 5 or 6 beam arrays, plus one or two torpedoes will help more with the shields plus finisher. Alternately if you want a more 'direct' attack, 3 single cannons and a torpedo fore, 3 turrets aft, though on a ship as slow as what I'm guessing is a Galaxy-class, thats kinda iffy.

Second as to survival, the first rule of driving any cruiser (most ships, but cruisers especially) is to carry 2 Emergency To Shields and cycle them so that one is always on. The constant damage reduction adds to your shield longevity, plus a boost to power and a heal every 30 seconds besides. Add to that Tactical Team 1, which redistributes shield power near-instantly when under fire, and you'll effectively quadruple your shield capacity. Finally you need to always carry Hazard Emitters for hull healing and to put out plasma fires, and possibly Polarize Hull 1 to get out of tractor locks, and you'll survive much longer.

Third, don't let the torpedoes hit you, or tank when they do. You're a cruiser after all, and laughing off big hits is what you do. Eject Warp Plasma used as a barrier, or Fire At Will to shoot them down. Hit Brace For Impact and/or Auxiliarty To Structural before the impact. Buy a layer of Monotanium armor to boost your kinetic resistance (its the kinetic hit that kills). There are a dozen ways to mitigate that damage.

The D'deridex is really a one-trick pony. That tractor-torpedo thing kills a lot of new players, and the game itself is TRIBBLE for information on how to deal with new situations. However, once you realize how to counter that trick, you'll realize that the D'deridex doesn't really have anything else to threaten you with. Stay calm and counter.

PS: You may want to switch your powers tray to type 4 just to get used to it. By endgame, the one you're using now simply doesn't hold enough stuff, and learning even just some of the hotkeys for your most-important powers can be a lifesaver.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Trying to be nicer than some people, but mostly they're right, your setup is.....questionable, and losing your temper on an internet board is just asking for flaming especially when they don't bother to read my posts when I clearly state one thing and they ask why I don't have that one thing that I said I already had.... For one, it looks like you're trying to use torpedoes to bring down shields, and as I said before which no one seems to be able to read, I switched out weapons AND Boffs the second time around (hint: This means I have more than one boff of each type for those of you that can't read; you can't see what I have in my inventory) when in fact they're for use after the shields are down (they suck against shields) I know. 5 or 6 beam arrays, plus one or two torpedoes will help more with the shields plus finisher. Alternately if you want a more 'direct' attack, 3 single cannons and a torpedo fore, 3 turrets aft, though on a ship as slow as what I'm guessing is a Galaxy-class, thats kinda iffy.

Second as to survival, the first rule of driving any cruiser (most ships, but cruisers especially) is to carry 2 Emergency To Shields and cycle them so that one is always on. The constant damage reduction adds to your shield longevity, plus a boost to power and a heal every 30 seconds besides. Add to that Tactical Team 1 which I already have on my main tact boff NOT SHOWN IN THE PICTURE, which redistributes shield power near-instantly when under fire, and you'll effectively quadruple your shield capacity. Finally you need to always carry Hazard Emitters for hull healing and to put out plasma fires, and possibly Polarize Hull 1 to get out of tractor locks I have been using evasive for that, and you'll survive much longer.

Third, don't let the torpedoes hit you, or tank when they do. You're a cruiser after all, and laughing off big hits is what you do. Eject Warp Plasma used as a barrier ...had it, changed to something else on one of the eng boffs or the one I got rid of, or Fire At Will I have it as you can see with that particular boff to shoot them down. Hit Brace For Impact I have it, and try when I can and/or Auxiliarty To Structural before the impact. Buy a layer of Monotanium armor uh what? I assume you can't craft this as I have never seen it before to boost your kinetic resistance (its the kinetic hit that kills). There are a dozen ways to mitigate that damage.

The D'deridex is really a one-trick pony. That tractor-torpedo thing kills a lot of new players, and the game itself is TRIBBLE for information on how to deal with new situations. However, once you realize how to counter that trick, you'll realize that the D'deridex doesn't really have anything else to threaten you with. Stay calm and counter.

PS: You may want to switch your powers tray to type 4 just to get used to it. By endgame, the one you're using now simply doesn't hold enough stuff, and learning even just some of the hotkeys for your most-important powers can be a lifesaver. I am constantly getting rid of the extra trays to see more screen right now

What about sci team?
    ITPaladin.png
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What about sci team?

Sci team is a joke compared to tac team. Sci team heals a little bit on each facing, big whoop. With tac team you get all four of your shield facings thrown on one for ten seconds.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    lordmanzelotlordmanzelot Member Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    hi hi he said targ dung :D
    Subscribed For: 2300+ Days
  • Options
    redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    't Ok I'll believe you that the boff setup showing isnt your normal stuff. I hope that's the case since you are chaining EPTA with zero aux dependent abilities slotted. There's really no excuse for 3 torps up front or FAW with 1dbb and 2 arrays, but w/e.

So post your build. We'll help. Other than that, destroy the torp. Plasma becomes targetable when HYT is used on it.
    thegrimcorsairthegrimcorsair Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    -[Five Handy Don'ts for Beating a D'deridex]-

1. Don't be in front of it.

2. Don't be behind it.

3. Don't be within 3 KM of it.

4. Don't be without Hazard Emitters.

5. Don't be without Tractor Beam.
    If you feel Keel'el's effect is well designed, please, for your own safety, be very careful around shallow pools of water.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    BTW all you people using acronyms need to spell it out.

Most of it I am ignoring as I don't know what you are talking about.
    ITPaladin.png
  • Options
    csgtmyorkcsgtmyork Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

What is with your attitude? There have been several good suggestions here and you've been a total jerk about it. Now you can either accept the tips we've been trying to give you and move along, or you can continue to be a troll and say that no one is able to read/hasn't done this that and the rest.

EDIT: IMHO, reginmala has one of the best suggestions so far. So try going with his.
    "Correction. Humans have rules in war. Rules that make victory a little harder to achieve, in my opinion."
    Elim Garak
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    csgtmyork wrote: »
    What is with your attitude? There have been several good suggestions here and you've been a total jerk about it. Now you can either accept the tips we've been trying to give you and move along, or you can continue to be a troll and say that no one is able to read/hasn't done this that and the rest.

EDIT: IMHO, reginmala has one of the best suggestions so far. So try going with his.

Huh?

Now I am being berated because I don't understand people?

What is wrong with this community?
    ITPaladin.png
  • Options
    csgtmyorkcsgtmyork Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    O M G does no one even bother to read the replies or even the original post?
    I beg to differ.

It is quite obvious that people are not bothering to read with comprehension my original post and replies after it.

I clearly state that I said I changed out boffs and weapons trying different things. The gateway and / or screenshot are not indicative of my 100% all the time setup.

One person even asked about where is tact team when clearly I had already stated I tried a boff with it.

Once again I ask:

Does no one bother to read?

Huh?

Now I am being berated because I don't understand people?

What is wrong with this community?

What's wrong? Look at the quotes I just posted and tell me you don't have an attitude.

We all have read the original post its just thats not the issue.

^ And this. We all understand the issues and we have been trying to help you, but you keep spitting in our face.

A great example of this is your little commentary on reginmala's suggestion.
    especially when they don't bother to read my posts when I clearly state one thing and they ask why I don't have that one thing that I said I already had....
    nd as I said before which no one seems to be able to read, I switched out weapons AND Boffs the second time around (hint: This means I have more than one boff of each type for those of you that can't read; you can't see what I have in my inventory)

STO WIKI
    Here. So you can understand us better. Just match the corresponding powers to their abbreviations. (Example= TT1= Tactical Team 1. Not hard.)
    "Correction. Humans have rules in war. Rules that make victory a little harder to achieve, in my opinion."
    Elim Garak
  • Options
    jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Because the way you phrased this post is rude, and sounds totally ungrateful. There has been a wave of threads like this recently, someone comes in with some problem then acts like a d-bag to everyone trying to help.

Basically, your build needs some work. I had the same thing going when I started STO, weird boff setup, odd weapons combo, etc.

What did I do?

I went through the shipyard forums, the gameplay forums, the PvE forum, and the PvP forum. I looked at a few builds, and read the responses. I learned. Now, after a year or two, I feel confident that I can make intelligent contributions here and there. If I had a really burning question, I asked nicely.

When someone used an abbreviation I wasn't familiar with, did I go and post " ffs i r ignores j00 don unnerstand lolol!"? No, I did a quick search and found several stickied threads with translations in them.

So basically, if you want us to do a Reader's Digest condensed shipbuilding 101 thread for you, act a little less like a 3rd grader. If you don't want to deal with all the people trying to help you because you're not up to doing some legwork, I'd suggest just keeping quiet and making use of the forum's excellent search function.

Cheers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.