test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can't log in to STO

I been trying to log in to STO for the last two days. I can log in to the updater and even patch and verify files after the crash, I turn off the on demand patching. I get to the Cryptic load screen then the game hangs and I get this message.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/NeoSaturn/errorsto.png

I try downloading the STO launcher but I get this, http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/NeoSaturn/error2.png I even tried re downloading it on Steam Same error pops up.

I am at a lost here can anyone help me.
Post edited by neosaturn on

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Same here, same message.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited February 2013
    If you are experiencing this issue, can you please run a nettest and post your results here (make sure to remove any sensitive IP data, etc. -- it's okay that it's for Champions). Instructions: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=225155

Thanks!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • neosaturnneosaturn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If you are experiencing this issue, can you please run a nettest and post your results here (make sure to remove any sensitive IP data, etc. -- it's okay that it's for Champions). Instructions: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=225155

Thanks!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I can't get nettest to work

Contacting nettest server..timed out
    hit return to exit

Update: I tried logging into Champions Online same error, ALso the auto submit ticket thing doesn't connect as well.

I did the tracert thing
    C:\Users\James>tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com

Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms unknown [192.168.1.1]
    2 42 ms 27 ms 39 ms 98.212.16.1
    3 8 ms 12 ms 28 ms te-0-3-0-17-sur03.elmhurst.il.chicago.comcast.ne
    t [68.85.131.25]
    4 20 ms 23 ms 23 ms te-2-8-0-13-ar01.area4.il.chicago.comcast.net [6
    9.139.185.205]
    5 24 ms 23 ms 23 ms he-3-7-0-0-cr01.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net
    [68.86.90.53]
    6 13 ms 15 ms 16 ms pos-1-2-0-0-pe01.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net
    [68.86.86.78]
    7 37 ms 13 ms 16 ms te0-7-0-30.ccr22.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.5
    4.10.253]
    8 17 ms 15 ms 15 ms te0-4-0-5.ccr22.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .44.165]
    9 40 ms 37 ms 37 ms te0-7-0-2.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .43.202]
    10 39 ms 38 ms 37 ms te4-4.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.42
    ]
    11 76 ms 72 ms 69 ms 38.111.40.114
    12 62 ms 58 ms 59 ms 208.95.185.41

Trace complete.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    neosaturn wrote: »
    I did the tracert thing
    C:\Users\James>tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com

Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms unknown [192.168.1.1]
    2 42 ms 27 ms 39 ms 98.212.16.1
    3 8 ms 12 ms 28 ms te-0-3-0-17-sur03.elmhurst.il.chicago.comcast.ne
    t [68.85.131.25]
    4 20 ms 23 ms 23 ms te-2-8-0-13-ar01.area4.il.chicago.comcast.net [6
    9.139.185.205]
    5 24 ms 23 ms 23 ms he-3-7-0-0-cr01.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net
    [68.86.90.53]
    6 13 ms 15 ms 16 ms pos-1-2-0-0-pe01.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net
    [68.86.86.78]
    7 37 ms 13 ms 16 ms te0-7-0-30.ccr22.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.5
    4.10.253]
    8 17 ms 15 ms 15 ms te0-4-0-5.ccr22.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .44.165]
    9 40 ms 37 ms 37 ms te0-7-0-2.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .43.202]
    10 39 ms 38 ms 37 ms te4-4.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.42
    ]
    11 76 ms 72 ms 69 ms 38.111.40.114
    12 62 ms 58 ms 59 ms 208.95.185.41

Trace complete.

Hmmm... If the Trace Route can reach the patch Sever, but the STO Launcher and Net Test can't... that would suggest something local to your machine, such as a Firewall utility blocking access...

Have you tried the 'Run as Administrator' option when starting the launcher?
    edited February 2013
    Hmmm... If the Trace Route can reach the patch Sever, but the STO Launcher and Net Test can't... that would suggest something local to your machine, such as a Firewall utility blocking access...

Have you tried the 'Run as Administrator' option when starting the launcher?

I will see if I can get on with my laptop
  • isomorphismisomorphism Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hey neosaturn. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. I'm a Cryptic programmer who works on (among other things) the network communication for STO.

It sounds like something is blocking outbound connections from some programs on your computer to our servers.

I think it's interesting that it sounds like your Launcher is able to connect to the Patch Server, but your Game Client isn't. Is it possible you've added an exclusion for the Launcher somewhere?

The standard solution to these sorts of problems is to try disabling or adding exclusions to any personal firewall, antivirus, or parental controls that may be interfering here. Unfortunately, there is no direct way to be able to tell specifically what is doing the blocking.

Also, if you were able to login previously, and now you can't, you could try seeing if there have been any changes made on your computer or on your network/Internet setup, that may have caused this.
    edited February 2013
    I tested with my Laptop, I was able to patch and log into the game. So it is not my network or ISP. My laptop uses the old patcher if that means anything.

Also my PC patcher is now downloading 6715 mb patch for holodeck
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I was recently having this problem intermittently, and finally traced it back to my firewall software (Norton Internet Security in my case).

Manually adding gameclient.exe to the Allowed Applications list did the trick.

Note: if you use the Tribble Test Server, it has a separate gameclient.exe file, which I also had to manually allow through NIS.

I hope this was helpful...
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
    edited February 2013
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    I was recently having this problem intermittently, and finally traced it back to my firewall software (Norton Internet Security in my case).

Manually adding gameclient.exe to the Allowed Applications list did the trick.

Note: if you use the Tribble Test Server, it has a separate gameclient.exe file, which I also had to manually allow through NIS.

I hope this was helpful...

Thank you, I think that was the problem I am able to log on. I too have Norton, Ether Norton new update or the new patch something happen between the two.

Now the figure out this new drop in frame rate issue i having in windowed mode I never had before.
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I too have Norton,

There is your problem, right there.

I think Norton seems to get worse each year, and by worse I mean "bloated" and user unfriendly.. F-Secure is what I've been using for a few years now and rarely run into any problems with games.

I'm not sponsored by F-Secure btw, just sharing from personal experience.
    signwidrona.png
    edited February 2013
    idrona wrote: »
    There is your problem, right there.

I think Norton seems to get worse each year, and by worse I mean "bloated" and user unfriendly.. F-Secure is what I've been using for a few years now and rarely run into any problems with games.

I'm not sponsored by F-Secure btw, just sharing from personal experience.

Y'know, I've actually found the opposite. I've used Norton since the dark days of 2005 or so, when the charge of it being a bloated pain in the TRIBBLE was completely accurate.

Over the last couple of years, though, I've found it to be a lean piece of nonintrusive software. My recent STO problems aside, it's been pretty solid.

I'll definitely agree that the user/UI experience could always improve.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
    edited February 2013
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    Y'know, I've actually found the opposite. I've used Norton since the dark days of 2005 or so, when the charge of it being a bloated pain in the TRIBBLE was completely accurate.

Over the last couple of years, though, I've found it to be a lean piece of nonintrusive software. My recent STO problems aside, it's been pretty solid.

I'll definitely agree that the user/UI experience could always improve.

Perhaps they improved then. :)
    signwidrona.png
    edited February 2013
    After all that I got this pop up

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/NeoSaturn/error3.png

What happen in the new patch to cause this?
    edited February 2013
    After all that I got this pop up

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/NeoSaturn/error3.png

What happen in the new patch to cause this?

My advice would be to go to Windows Start menu - Control Panel and disable Windows firewall all together if you already have have Norton security thingy installed. No point in running 2 firewalls. :)
    signwidrona.png
    edited February 2013
    idrona wrote: »
    My advice would be to go to Windows Start menu - Control Panel and disable Windows firewall all together if you already have have Norton security thingy installed. No point in running 2 firewalls. :)

What he said. NIS and Windows Firewall are unlikely to play nicely together.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I don't have Norton, I'm using Panda, but I cant see anywhere to exclude STO from the block list.
    Also I can get onto Tribble fine, just not Holodeck.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • truejiggawattstruejiggawatts Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am new to STO and have been trying to play the game for a week now. It worked few times but usually I cannot seem to get pass by the launcher. I either get a blank white window that sometimes says "Loading. Please wait." or I get to the login/password prompt and when I try to login (click "Login") the launcher crashes and I get this "CrypticError: Oops!". Been looking for some helpful information and a solution to this big issue but havent had any luck. Anyone have an idea?

Like I said. Occasionally the game will start and I can play. But 95% of the time I get the launcher crash error. The game itself, once I am ingame works perfectly.

I am running Win8 pro 64bit btw.

EDIT: Sometimes when I get the blank white launcher window another IE (which is IE10 on Windows 8) window will pop up after a while with URL saying "res://ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff_webOC.htm"
  • gailjambergailjamber Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Every time I try to log in it tells me I need a one time code but my email wont let me get one
  • michliksmichliks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have an problem too...I launch the launcher a then type my email adress and password a it says unable to authenticate:Invaldi username buti copy the email adress from my account page...
  • dhammettdhammett Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hi,

I have created an account and logged in to the account on the game webpage, but the launcher does absolutely nothing when i click "log in" with the same email and password.

Any solution?

Thanks.
  • johnhook9johnhook9 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    it has been a whole week since the patch, and whatever this Arc program is, but i've still not been able to get past the Cyrptic loading screen, and I've tried almost everything that has been suggested except updating my video card?

Im sorry to sound like an idiot, but I dont know what that is. I do know that I had been previously playing the game with lowered settings, but I really don't know what I'm doing?

I just want to play the game.....
    Live Free or Die! There are worse evils than death.
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    johnhook9 wrote: »
    it has been a whole week since the patch, and whatever this Arc program is, but i've still not been able to get past the Cyrptic loading screen, and I've tried almost everything that has been suggested except updating my video card?

Im sorry to sound like an idiot, but I dont know what that is. I do know that I had been previously playing the game with lowered settings, but I really don't know what I'm doing?

I just want to play the game.....

Okay, if the Cryptic loading screen was getting to 75% and then crashing, then you - like me and some others - are one of the ones affected by a... disagreement between the 10/3 patch and some older video cards.

Fortunately, a fix was developed Tuesday and over the last two days has been tested on the Redshirt test server and so far, all those affected by the problem with the 10/3 patch who tested the fix on Red**** - myself included - find the fix solves the problem. The fix will be applied to the Holodeck Live server with today's (10/10) patch, so you should be able to play later today.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • captainhicks100captainhicks100 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I haven't been able to get past the Legacy of Romuls loading screen. The ARC launcher works, the game launcher comes up fine, when I push "engage" it brings up a screen for the cryptic logo that loads, then it brings up the "Star Trek Online: The Legacy of Romuls" screen and the music plays, but it won't load. When I try to click on the screen, it brings up a prompt saying that the game is not responding and asks if I want to cancel or wait for program to respond. I've waited long periods of time for it to respond and finally gave up on it. I tried turning off my firewall and starting the launcher as an administrator as suggested here and neither made a difference. Any suggestions?
  • johnhook9johnhook9 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Okay, if the Cryptic loading screen was getting to 75% and then crashing, then you - like me and some others - are one of the ones affected by a... disagreement between the 10/3 patch and some older video cards.

this is the exact problem I've been having, hopefully todays patch will work. Thank you!!
    Live Free or Die! There are worse evils than death.
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Rather sporadic necroing going on here...first it died, then it came back. Then it died again and now its lumbering away
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • sparkey123sparkey123 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I tested with my Laptop, I was able to patch and log into the game. So it is not my network or ISP. My laptop uses the old patcher if that means anything.

Also my PC patcher is now downloading 6715 mb patch for holodeck

I cant even log in, every time i press the log in button, it does nothing
This discussion has been closed.