test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romulan Faction = April Fools

Comments

• tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Stahl has stated multiple times they will not be releasing the D'Deridex in a lockbox. And no other Romulan ship is even worth mentioning in those terms.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As good a theory as any other.

I'm leaning towards playable Romulan ships rather than a full blown Romulan faction, and I could definitely see them introducing playable Romulan ships via lockbox.

except Cryptic still remains firm of NO Romulan lockbox.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    It could be a new Romulan FE or a continuation of the Sela/Iconian storyline... but the odds of it being yet another Romulan-themed FE series are slim.

Considering Denise Croby already told us a few weeks ago, there are gonna be more voiceovers beyond the 3rd Anniversary the odds are actually pretty high ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    trek21 wrote: »
    Yeah, that plus all April Fools Jokes have been on the actual day, not before or after = they'll reveal something new when the countdown goes to 0, but it won't be a prank.

It's illogical to think otherwise :D

Blizzard is the master of this. I don't think Cryptic is quite there yet. ;)
    strongbeau wrote: »
    I wouldn"t say its for April Fool's day but rather something more Roman...

"Beware the Ides of March..."

How could I forget about that one!?!? :eek:

I am disappoint to Shakespeare.
  • seekerkorhilseekerkorhil Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2013
    Knowing Cryptics past level of competence when it comes to programming its probably a typo in the countdown and the 19 days is supposed to be 79 days :rolleyes:

Would put it back in May after all.
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Um.. I've never really seen a Cryptic april fools thing going. Yes they do it at Blzzard, and several other companies have done it (bliz does it really really really well.. I'm allready wondering what chuckle we're going to get this year out of 'em.)

For Champions Online I could see such a thing, but not for STO... just wouldn't fit real well, and doesn't fit the development studio real well either.

As for the March bit...possibly a rather clever pun, but not likely intended as such.. serindipidous accidents do happen though *grin*

I will say the OP's imagination is possibly as vivid as my own though.
    (not being egocentric.. "I" would obviously know my own sense of humor and imagination best after all!)
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • erockererocker Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think even by the standards of this forum, claiming that the 19th of March = April Fool's is pushing all limits of sanity.

Quoted for truth.

Gotta love these forums though, very entertaining all around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Today is March 1st, 2013. Current time: 1725 PST. If we add 19 days, 12 hours, and the some ought minutes, we'll hit zero at approximately March 21st-22nd time zone depending. Therefore, your argument flawed and has no basis in logic.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • virgilpluton999virgilpluton999 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This is what it is, it is STF's that award Romulan marks like the Borg STF's do, allowing you go grind Rom rep faster. However, I will also engage in insane speculation, as is the custom of this land.

The countdown is for them pulling the plug and shutting the server down.
    /endinsanespeculation
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The countdown seems more like a countdown to a blog about information on the May Update or the introduction of some event.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hmm... I did just think fo something that CAN'T be a coincidence. St. Patrick's day. What is it known for? The wearing of the green. Hehe... which kinda fits Romulans well.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    brigadooom wrote: »
    It's probably a huge swerve for Tamarians. March Beneath the Raptor's Wings, April Behind the Unsuspecting Fool.

That reminds me, we need Tamarians in this game.
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hmm... I did just think fo something that CAN'T be a coincidence. St. Patrick's day. What is it known for? The wearing of the green. Hehe... which kinda fits Romulans well.

That's a better premise than the original post, but the day is still wrong.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hmm... *wikis* 17 march. Ah, yeah, not quite.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • curs0rcurs0r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Seriously? I may be terrible with math, but I'm fairly certain that 19 does not equal 1.

Yeah, it's a bit too elaborate isn't it?

Even for large values of 1. You are correct.
    strongbeau wrote: »
    I wouldn"t say its for April Fool's day but rather something more Roman...

"Beware the Ides of March..."

The ides of March will have passed before the timer lapses, but that was cute.
    I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    March 19th is close to April fools day so the whole thing is a joke........

Interesting method of deduction.....

Let me try.
    Here is Brian, a jewish man born at the same time and in the same village as the messiah. Brian preached once in the bazzar. He must be the messiah........

Such deductive reasoning works only for british comedy groups and those wanting something, anything to be true.......

We dont know what is true about the "March between the raptor wings" except that its comming soon enough.
    Why not just wait and see rather than assuming the worst.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    We dont know what is true about the "March between the raptor wings" except that its comming soon enough.

Except how the devs love their damned puns. :rolleyes:
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    March 19th is close to April fools day so the whole thing is a joke........

Interesting method of deduction.....

Let me try.
    Here is Brian, a jewish man born at the same time and in the same village as the messiah. Brian preached once in the bazzar. He must be the messiah........

Such deductive reasoning works only for british comedy groups and those wanting something, anything to be true.......

Are you REALLY trying to bring Monty Python into this discussion?:eek::D ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    warbird001 wrote: »
    I have just noticed that the "countdown" timer runs out on the 19th of March which is dangerously close to April Fools Day. I think the egg is on your face playerbase, I think its just an April Fools Prank, something has smelt fishy about this "March Beneath the Raptor's wings" since it was announced.

Having information released that close to April just confirmed it in my mind. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4
  • jimmyjames81196jimmyjames81196 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What if there is actually a Romulan faction coming out on that day.....
  • grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I you kept your nose on the news you know that this is the big patch comming out along with more romulan STF and other missions and a lot off KDF stuff.
    Again there will be no new faction not the 19 off march because if they do that the whole KDF faction would run over the Devs ....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • nyxinumznyxinumz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'M SO EXCITED! Finally I can be a Romulan!! :D

I hope they have a "defect" mechanic either defecting to the RSE or perhaps you were a romulan spy the whole time.
  • wirtddwirtdd Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    ...if they do that the whole KDF faction would run over the Devs ....

Oh noes! The whole 10 players? Sorry, sorry :D:D had to say it.
    Bastet
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    warbird001 wrote: »
    I have just noticed that the "countdown" timer runs out on the 19th of March which is dangerously close to April Fools Day. I think the egg is on your face playerbase, I think its just an April Fools Prank, something has smelt fishy about this "March Beneath the Raptor's wings" since it was announced.

Having information released that close to April just confirmed it in my mind. What do you think?
    I think you are wrong. March 19th is not significant to April Fools. If this were an elaborate April Fools Joke, then the Joke would be on Cryptic when, come April 1st, half the players quit.
    anazonda wrote: »
    Personally I am somewhat convinced that the countdown is really just a coundown to a Romulan Lock-box.
    I can't see Romulans ever making it to a lock box; they're too heavily sought after as a faction. To box them up would destroy any hope of having them playable.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    nyxinumz wrote: »
    I'M SO EXCITED! Finally I can be a Romulan!! :D

I fear many players will be sorely disappointed in May.

KDF is meant to be the focus, it will be this faction that (should) get all the attention. PvP too.

All this 'March beneath the Raptor's wings' stuff I'm guessing is new PvE content to go along side the KDF and PvP updates, and probably a continuation from those New Romulus missions. That new screenshot that was put up yesterday could very well be a fleet emerging from an Iconian gateway.

This is my guess, new STF style content to counter Sela and her new overlords as she tries to re-take the Empire. But I'm not holding my breath.
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    coupaholic wrote: »
    I fear many players will be sorely disappointed in May.

KDF is meant to be the focus, it will be this faction that (should) get all the attention. PvP too.

All this 'March beneath the Raptor's wings' stuff I'm guessing is new PvE content to go along side the KDF and PvP updates, and probably a continuation from those New Romulus missions. That new screenshot that was put up yesterday could very well be a fleet emerging from an Iconian gateway.

This is my guess, new STF style content to counter Sela and her new overlords as she tries to re-take the Empire. But I'm not holding my breath.

making the whole content faction unspecific would be enough to "finish" KDF AND get Romulans started
  • curs0rcurs0r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    duaths1 wrote: »
    making the whole content faction unspecific would be enough to "finish" KDF AND get Romulans started

I guess that depends who you ask. For the purposes of my gameplay, KDF was finished before they thought about adding it in. Others actually care about the KDF and it's evident they don't feel the same way. Around and around it goes.
    I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
  • damecdamec Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    You know...

Personally I am somewhat convinced that the countdown is really just a coundown to a Romulan Lock-box.

Ya.... no

Are we going to get more lockboxes in the future/ongoing, yes, most certainly, long as the gravy train keeps flowing, cryptic will keep making lockboxes

However, we have had 5 lockboxes so far ((Cardasian, Ferengi, Tholian, Temporal, and Dominion)) and none of them had this kind of elaborate ad campaign for them, for the most part, they were only announced/made known once the previous lockbox was done its run. As announcing an upcoming lockbox too early could cannibalize the sales of the current one

Also, it has been stated that cryptic would never make a Romulan lockbox, i do remember listening to interviews ((think it was stoked or something)) where they asked if the romulan warbird would be in a lockbox and the one being interviewed said something to the effect of "no, that would not happen since we cannot put a ship in a lockbox we may use in a future faction". Therefore, even if May is not the launch of a Romulan faction, it won't be a lockbox, since Cryptic wants to keep that possibility in their back pocket

Therefore, since the advertising campaign is of course, Romulan themed, it wouldn't be some other species lockbox, therefore, it isn't the ad campaign for a lockbox

P.S. While it is somewhat possible its an ad campaign for an FE, i find it unlikely, i mean, did any of the other featured episodes get this kind of grandiose ad campaign beforehand?
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As ridiculous as this theory is and as ever has been uttered on these forums, I would pay good money for the counter to hit 0 and Rick Astley dressed as a Romulan to appear.

dudo dudo dudo dudo deeeeee deeeee dudodudo deeeeeee deeeeeee.........