test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Torpedo Boats. What Torps/Mines would you carry?

ironmakoironmako Member Posts: 770 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Klingon Discussion
Well as my Fleet drift ever closer to Tier 5, I was wondering on the choice of torps or mines which you can use on a b'rel. Im currently thinking having 2 x rapid reload transphasics, maybe a hargh peng and a quantum torpedo launcher as well. For the rear, two sets of Tricobalt mines.

What would you have on a B'rel torp boat?
Post edited by ironmako on

Comments

• Options
    leoll2leoll2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why don't you replace a Rapid Reload Transphasic with a Bio-Neural?
    P2W means Play To Win

Archimede - Leader and Founder of "Raiders of Starfleet"
    ...and 21 other characters!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Well i would have done if it wasn't for the patch, and i quote "Note: The patch on 14 February 2013 halved both the damage and cooldown for tricobalt torpedoes and mines. Although the damage of the Bio-Neural Warhead was halved, the cooldown was not. The damage of the warhead's point defense system was not affected."

So basically, the bio neural got nerfed big time, and with its long cooldown, it wont be viable.

I have "borg" tricobalt mobile device launchers as well, so if i was to replace the transphasics, i would with the device launchers.

Also, the rapid fire means i get a consistent spread, as it will be torps only, also, you get the 40% damage bleedthrough, which helps. I was thinking of the transphasic cluster torpedo, but it has too much of a long cooldown

If they didn't nerf the bio neural, to have a torp boat loaded with them would be quite devastating! i can imagine STO were well ahead of us on this one! :)
  • Options
    calintane753calintane753 Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have 2 torpedo boats...

Torpedo boat #1
    :.. Forward... Photon Torpedo + Photon Torpedo + Photon Torpedo + Dual Cannon
    :.. Rear... Turret + Turret + Turret/Beam Array

Torpedo boat #2
    :.. Forward... Quant. Torpedo + Quant. Torpedo + Quant. Torpedo + Quant. Torpedo
    :.. Rear... Turret + Turret + Turret

I've tried the Transphasic Torpedoes: too weak against unshielded targets.
    I've tried the Chroniton Torpedoes: not bad (they can slow your targets!), but they have the rate of fire of a quantum torpedo. Needless to say that the quantum torpedo has a greater DPS/DPV than the chroniton...

Jolan tru.
  • Options
    shookyangshookyang Member Posts: 1,122
    edited February 2013
    ironmako wrote: »
    Well i would have done if it wasn't for the patch, and i quote "Note: The patch on 14 February 2013 halved both the damage and cooldown for tricobalt torpedoes and mines. Although the damage of the Bio-Neural Warhead was halved, the cooldown was not. The damage of the warhead's point defense system was not affected."

So basically, the bio neural got nerfed big time, and with its long cooldown, it wont be viable.

I have "borg" tricobalt mobile device launchers as well, so if i was to replace the transphasics, i would with the device launchers.

Also, the rapid fire means i get a consistent spread, as it will be torps only, also, you get the 40% damage bleedthrough, which helps. I was thinking of the transphasic cluster torpedo, but it has too much of a long cooldown

If they didn't nerf the bio neural, to have a torp boat loaded with them would be quite devastating! i can imagine STO were well ahead of us on this one! :)
    I had heard that the bio-neural was exempt from this nerf. Same as with the Temporal Device (well, it will be fixed soon).

On my B'rel Retrofit, I run:
    Fore: Quantum, Bio-Neural, Breen Cluster, Hargh'Peng
    Aft: Omega, Chroniton
  • Options
    cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My B'rel runs:

Fore:Hyper Plasma, Bioneural, harghpeng, omega
    Rear: Tricobalt Mine, breen cluster

Full plasma dmg consoles since they are my bread and butter damage. Breen cluster is in rear because it pops out 10+ mines right next to my tricobalts so fire at wills from enemies may miss the trics while hitting the transphasics.

Planning on replacing Omega with the Thermionic torpedo and bioneural with the temporal disruptor once i get lobi from EC-purchased keys..but thats a long ways off. Those torps will snare and secure the mines to hit plus add crit dmg (-def!) to the torps.
  • Options
    kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    shookyang wrote: »
    I had heard that the bio-neural was exempt from this nerf. Same as with the Temporal Device (well, it will be fixed soon).

On my B'rel Retrofit, I run:
    Fore: Quantum, Bio-Neural, Breen Cluster, Hargh'Peng
    Aft: Omega, Chroniton

This :)

when Thursday's patch rolls around the Damage will be back to pre-nerf for the bio and temp torps. but still keep that long CD heeheh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Transphasics and particularly the cluster torp are spectacular in PvP. "Let's see your MACO shields save you now!"

FOr general-purpose PvE carnage however I find a spread of Quantums is tough to beat.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    Transphasics and particularly the cluster torp are spectacular in PvP. "Let's see your MACO shields save you now!"

FOr general-purpose PvE carnage however I find a spread of Quantums is tough to beat.

cluster is a unique case..its like 6 transphasic torps fired at once (damage wise). Transphasic torpedoes by themselves are utter garbage however.
  • Options
    shookyangshookyang Member Posts: 1,122
    edited February 2013
    cluster is a unique case..its like 6 transphasic torps fired at once (damage wise). Transphasic torpedoes by themselves are utter garbage however.
    My fleetmate used to swear by tranphasic torpedoes. But, now he says it takes too much work to maximize the damage.

I hardly try with my setup, and I get pretty high damage and DPS with it.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Problem is, using photons or quantums will drop the shield and smack the hull for an insane more damage than transphasic torps (not breen cluster) would in the same amount of time.

I can see a dual transphasic+harghpeng+breen cluster combo being decently effective at shield bypassing damage but the reload times and damage inflicted are so bad that the target would just heal himself up with a mere ensign ability.

Against borg queen yes...that is perhaps the only time transphasics are of any use. Her shields are insanely hard to bring down.

Against anything else though.. garbage.
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    On my B'rel torp boat I use 2 Breen cluster torps, a Hargh'peng, and a regular transphasic. In the back I play with mines, but generally use 2 transphasics. The timing all seems to work well, using a Torp HY plus torp spread. I can put a breen cluster, transphasic hy/spread, hargh'peng onto the target, and just a few seconds later unload it all again.

I've played with tric and bio-neural, but they don't work very well for me.
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    After the trico nerf, I am really doing well with plasma mines and DPB. I am only talking PvE here. With a Hargh'peng, a gravity well, a breen cluster, plasma mines with DPB, I take out Borg cubes in one run most of the time. If I don't, one Hargh'peng is enough to finish it. It is the DoT that does the most damage here.

Thinking of buying the Draguas for the Aceton assimilator. Is that a good idea?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I like transphasics purely cos it has the 40% bleedthrough, which is essential in STF's especially against the Borg, and the Borg Queen.

Also, if you combine the rapid fire transphasics with torp spread III and the Torp High yield, you tend to keep a consistant spread of torps firing. What i'm after is some sort of setup which will ensure a good carpet bombing of any target i'm pointing at, and also if there are any Doffs i can get which will help damage or Cooldown.

I was thinking of plasmas, but i did hear that the borg are more resistant from the DoT caused by plasma fire.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I was thinking of plasmas, but i did hear that the borg are more resistant from the DoT caused by plasma fire.

wherever you heard this from, disregard it; the borg are no more resistant to plasma than they are to any other damage type which, if i remember correctly from the guy who did the test on it, was an equal 20% all across the board

of course, this was last year and well before S6, so things may have changed since then, but i can always ask the guy to do another test to check
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Well it was just something i heard, but it did sound a bit rough for all those using Plasma torps. If its not true, then it may have to be a possible addition to my arsenal...
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    if the borg really do have an extra resistance to plasma, i can just imagine all the screaming and ******** from the people who ground so hard for omega plasma torpedo launchers - a weapon specifically designed to fight the borg - upon finding out that were true
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    They aren't resistant to plasma. They adapt to it.

Aka, after a few rounds of plasma fire the plasma fire will simply not stick and 'adapted' scrolls up. Just like in ground combat.

Damage from the torpedo though, being kinetic, is unaffacted. Only the plasma burn is.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Aka, after a few rounds of plasma fire the plasma fire will simply not stick and 'adapted' scrolls up. Just like in ground combat.

Damage from the torpedo though, being kinetic, is unaffacted. Only the plasma burn is.

proof or it's utter bull****, because i've had plasma spawn fires on borg ships numerous times, and NEVER seen what you're describing.

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited February 2013

I have never not once seen adapted in space. Pics or it didn't happen.
    edited February 2013
    redricky wrote: »
    I have never not once seen adapted in space. Pics or it didn't happen.

video is better; much harder for the average person to doctor

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As someone who stacks dozens of plasma burns per STF (elite scorps, sometimes I go nuts and toss in a hyper-torp) I've never, ever, seen space adaptation. To anything.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    proof or it's utter bull****, because i've had plasma spawn fires on borg ships numerous times, and NEVER seen what you're describing.

...is it because they die before they adapt? I've seen it proc on the borg queen and once in a tac cube. Its not a very common proc but it happens.

Remember too there are different plasma procs. Beam, normal plasma torp, plasma mine and high yield torp plasma burn. They have to adapt to each not just 'plasma' in general.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ...is it because they die before they adapt? I've seen it proc on the borg queen and once in a tac cube. Its not a very common proc but it happens.

Remember too there are different plasma procs. Beam, normal plasma torp, plasma mine and high yield torp plasma burn. They have to adapt to each not just 'plasma' in general.

unless it's something only the STF borg have, i still can't see them having that mechanic...it's annoying enough on the ground; i'd rather not have to deal with it in space as well

i'm hoping what you saw was just a graphical glitch (lord knows the game's loaded with them), but in case it isn't...next time it happens, see if you can grab a screen or some footage, and i'll be on the lookout myself the next time i go up against a borg target with a ****load of HP

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

For the sake of argument, let's assume you're correct (something I seriously doubt, but what the hell):

Why would Cryptic create a mechanic in space with zero counter that completely negates incoming damage? You can't remodulate your ship's guns, nor can you swap to a different tray for different damage types
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    For the sake of argument, let's assume you're correct (something I seriously doubt, but what the hell):

Why would Cryptic create a mechanic in space with zero counter that completely negates incoming damage? You can't remodulate your ship's guns, nor can you swap to a different tray for different damage types

If they can do it for ground, then i'm sure they can do it for space. It can work on similar counters and mechanics.

It would be fascinating to see if anyone does prove this. I have heard a few people say that they switched from plasma weapons for this very reason.

Also, STF Borg are much harder than the Borg in the PvP arenas like Kerrat for example, so maybe the rule only applies for STF Borg (if the rule is there).
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Also, STF Borg are much harder than the Borg in the PvP arenas like Kerrat for example, so maybe the rule only applies for STF Borg (if the rule is there).

i'd much prefer it not be there; as i said earlier, it's annoying enough on the ground without having to deal with it in space as well

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    mustafatennickmustafatennick Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And back on topic...
    ----=====This is my opinion you don't have to listen and no one else has to read them these "OPINIONS" are based on my exploits and my learning other people will have their opinions and that's fine just don't knock my way of doing things thanks=====---- :cool:
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    And back on topic...

lol Agreed!

Back onto the bio neurals, im not sure how good they would be for a torp boat because of the long cool-down time. I think a torp boat is mainly a support vessel, so I think its better to have a fast rate of fire, after all, It was the rate of fire that one the battle of waterloo!

Also, as i haven't piloted a fully laden torp boat yet I want to find out about firing sequences.

If you use Torp spread III or high yield torp, does that only count for the next firing torpedo, or does it carry through all the torps on the same volley? For example, if i had 4 quantum torp launchers on the front, would the torp spread III give its effects to all 4 quantum torps, or does it just give its effect to the first one fired?

Sorry if i'm blasting many questions out, but i want to ensure i get the perfect killing machine :)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    If you use Torp spread III or high yield torp, does that only count for the next firing torpedo, or does it carry through all the torps on the same volley? For example, if i had 4 quantum torp launchers on the front, would the torp spread III give its effects to all 4 quantum torps, or does it just give its effect to the first one fired?

first launcher fired, though it would be a sight to see a spread of quantums from 4 launchers at once

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would probably stick to photons and 1 harphang as photns are qick to load.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers