Options

Meteor Impact in Russia 2-15-2013

2»

Comments

• Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    They call Tunguska an Impact Event and it blew up 3 to 6 miles above the ground.

Thank ye. I wasn't sure if there was an astronomical term to differentiate between direct impacts (ala Yucatan) and air bursts (ala Tunguska / yesterday).
  • Options
    wimpomanwimpoman Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You think that special effects in Hollywood films is pretty good, and then something like it happens in real life and you realise that CGI has nothing on Mother Nature. Just, wow!!!
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    From the videos I saw, I was completely amazed at how no one was pulling their cars over to take a look at this thing, not even when it exploded overhead.

What do you do when there's a giant fireball streaking through the sky dangerously close and exploding overhead, turning dawn into noon in bright flashes? Who cares? The light just turned green! The traffic must continue!

Russians take everything in stride, even random cosmic smitings.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thank ye. I wasn't sure if there was an astronomical term to differentiate between direct impacts (ala Yucatan) and air bursts (ala Tunguska / yesterday).
    At those speeds it's still an impact whether it's hitting the atmosphere or hitting the ground, the one video with that loud bang gave me a deja'vu moment, remembering when I was a kid before they had banned low altitude supersonic flights over population areas. Man that was one hell of a bang.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    sparklysoldiersparklysoldier Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    First Tunguska, now this - what did poor Russia ever do to those meteors!?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    First Tunguska, now this - what did poor Russia ever do to those meteors!?

When your country spans 13 time zones it sort of makes an inviting target...

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    sparklysoldiersparklysoldier Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    When your country spans 13 time zones it sort of makes an inviting target...

Geotemporal hubris, it'll get you every time. :P
  • Options
    synthscanner#2101 synthscanner Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've been reading and watching stuff about this most of today, find it very fascinating, though I do feel for those who've been injured.

I'll leave you with this meme...

"IN SOVIET RUSSIA...

SPACE EXPLORE YOU!
    )"
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Well we can thank the Moon that we don't get hit a lot more.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Well we can thank the Moon that we don't get hit a lot more.

And Jupiter as well. Without its gravity, we probably would've been wiped out by an asteroid by now.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    lukeminherexxlukeminherexx Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And Jupiter as well. Without its gravity, we probably would've been wiped out by an asteroid by now.

Our gas giants have protected us from asteroid and comet hits for the most part. The Earth is a very small pin tip of a dot to actually hit, in space terms.
    The only thing I do not see in very many places, but have read on the NASA site, I believe, as well as other astronomy pages, is that we are entering a much dustier and "dirty" part of the galaxy now. I think we will be seeing more things come through. I do not think it was an accident that they decided to start really looking for near earth objects flying through. Could be wrong on that, something worth looking more into though. Interesting anyway.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
    You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else. -Einstein

• Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So, now we know where ground zero to the zombie apocalypse is. FOLKS, It's time to stock up on shotgun shells and canned soup. I've seen enough living dead movies to know what I'm talking about.:D
  • Options
    bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    So, now we know where ground zero to the zombie apocalypse is. FOLKS, It's time to stock up on shotgun shells and canned soup. I've seen enough living dead movies to know what I'm talking about.:D

Imotep...Imotep...*slowly backs away*
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    What kind of scares me about all this is that nobody seemed to know it was coming. We got lucky this time, but the next rock might hit the actual ground. And if it does, fatalities are inevitable.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Its only a matter of time and uninhabited real-estate is becoming rarer. As for no one seeing this one coming, well it is a big damn sky, but you also have to wonder whether they would withhold reporting it in hopes of preventing a panic.
    That said so long as they don't contain life consuming blobs, giant irradiated spiders or 3 legged martians with friggin lasers on their heads, I'm good.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Here's a pretty recent update from CNN (with more video)

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/15/world/europe/russia-meteor-shower
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Why is it always Russia, do they have a bloody meteor magnet running over there?
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why is it always Russia, do they have a bloody meteor magnet running over there?

Maybe Cobra got sick of Weather Dominators, and now funding a Verteron array:eek:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Asia is a larger land mass to hit so seems to be hit more.

It is also more sparsly populated so less damage.

Strikes over the ocean are seldom witnessed.

Thank Obama for retiring the only jet aircraft capable of launching an interceptor at an ICBM or by implication, an incomming Impactor.

NASA needs to unmothball those F-15s and set them up to scramble.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    To hell with f15s, We need Space Command, Brave men and women patrolling the Cosmos to protect mankind from The Meteors of Doom, or Stratos 4, teenage girls in skin tight spacesuits flying rocket assisted fighter jets to shoot down the meteors.
    Ok, I couldn't help myself.

It's sad to say but it's going to take millions of people dying and billions of dollars damage before the powers that be start taking these things seriously.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Thank Obama for retiring the only jet aircraft capable of launching an interceptor at an ICBM or by implication, an incomming Impactor.

NASA needs to unmothball those F-15s and set them up to scramble.

Um, the planes were retired because they are 40 years old. Aircraft do have a service life, you know. And if you fly them too hard and too fast for too long they start falling apart in mid-air. Like what happened to a few of those F-15s before they were retired.

Besides, a missile that might be perfectly capable of knocking an ICBM re-entry vehicle out of the sky won't do much for a hundred-foot-wide space rock coming in at 100,000mph.

- Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    A plane would have to be in just the right place at just the right time, it would have a very small target window and even then it would have limited effectiveness. No, an effective meteor defense needs to happen long before a meteor reaches the atmosphere, jets aren't the answer.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    A plane would have to be in just the right place at just the right time, it would have a very small target window and even then it would have limited effectiveness. No, an effective meteor defense needs to happen long before a meteor reaches the atmosphere, jets aren't the answer.

Orbital rail gun platforms, that's the answer.

Too bad we signed all those treaties banning weapons in space...

- Anne Bredon
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    We really need to work on serious deflection strategies. This one was a minor event; the next one might not be.

I'm disappointed that this didn't happen over a major US population center like New York, or even better, D.C.. Nothing short of needing a change of underwear and having millions of scared constituents pounding on the gate will get the politicians in congress to act and give proper funding to skywatch and research projects.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    brendz23brendz23 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    How come scientists didn't see it coming? Or if they did, why didn't they made the public aware of it? Instances like these really alarms people, the talk about the end of the world is again brought up. Although a lot of people were still in shock and injured, they are more concerned of how this will affect them financially and the damage to properties that the meteor fall caused.Good thing Insurance companies cover things that are unlikely to happen such as meteor strike.Article resource: Is my home covered against meteor damage?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,396 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    Besides, a missile that might be perfectly capable of knocking an ICBM re-entry vehicle out of the sky won't do much for a hundred-foot-wide space rock coming in at 100,000mph.
    I note further that those anti-ICBM tests only worked when the target missile could be silhouetted by a balloon; tests without a backdrop tended to end in failure. There's a reason no "success" announcement was made.

Incidentally, Obama didn't mothball anything; that was a DoD decision. The President of the United States does not micromanage every single department - that became unwieldy about the time Jefferson was elected. And, contrary to the expectations of some of our citizens on both political extremes, the President is not a king; he cannot issue royal decrees for anything that isn't properly a function of the executive. (Well, technically he can, I suppose, if he wants to have the courts overturn the order later...)

And anything an F-15 can launch, an F-18 can launch. Not an issue.
    brendz23 wrote:
    How come scientists didn't see it coming?
    Because it was small, dark, and coming from a direction other than anyone was looking - they were all watching the passing asteroid, and this chunk came in on a different trajectory. Also because nobody's funding any observatories looking for relatively small rocks headed for our planet.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    And anything an F-15 can launch, an F-18 can launch. Not an issue.

There is the issue that an F/A-18 tops out at 1.8 mach, while an F-15 can do 2.5+ and sustain supersonic for much longer. With the F-14 and the F-15 both retired, the United States no longer has a Mach 2 fighter.

Again, not that it makes any difference when trying to chase down a meteor.

- Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    brendz23 wrote: »
    How come scientists didn't see it coming?

It was only 17m across. Even a good telescope would have trouble seeing that.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone