* starts passing out out tin foil hats *

It's them Swedish Borg bionic zombies! :eek:

Love the guy in the car, so like, " Meh, so what, lets get a coffee. "

Lol
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't want to close my eyes. I don't want to fall asleep cause I miss you baby and I don't want to miss a thing!!!! #RussianMeteor

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • Options
    joshmaaaaaaansjoshmaaaaaaans Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    1 of the videos is from 2012, lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    user839020189287user839020189287 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    5oo hurt from an air-bursting meteor... damn and I saw it here first.

National news in Canada just ran the story like 30 minutes ago.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/02/15/russia-meteorite.html

Here's the youtube video:

http://youtu.be/KG3mhbUHgUU
    "Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
    Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
  • Options
    captwinters1701captwinters1701 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Now the real question is wether or not this little meteorite was somehow related to the larger Asteroid that also passed by yesterday. The timing seems a little "too" coincidental. I wonder what the damage would have been like if it had been just a few hours later and arrived over central or western Europe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    In Russia, Meteors don't extinguish Russians, Russians Extinguish meteors! :D
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Now the real question is wether or not this little meteorite was somehow related to the larger Asteroid that also passed by yesterday. The timing seems a little "too" coincidental. I wonder what the damage would have been like if it had been just a few hours later and arrived over central or western Europe.

Probably. Might have been a piece that was coming ahead of it but was too small to track or some such.
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lukeminherexxlukeminherexx Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Now the real question is wether or not this little meteorite was somehow related to the larger Asteroid that also passed by yesterday. The timing seems a little "too" coincidental.

Actually they said this was not related to the other meteor. They came from different directions.
    "Vladimir Zhirinovsky, a nationalist leader noted for vehement statements, said "It's not meteors falling. It's the test of a new weapon by the Americans," the RIA Novosti news agency reported."
    Right, with the economy we have, we may be able to put together a bow and arrow and shoot at them, but then we would probably have to raise taxes again. lol
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
    You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else. -Einstein

• Options
    captwinters1701captwinters1701 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Actually they said this was not related to the other meteor. They came from different directions.

Right, with the economy we have, we may be able to put together a bow and arrow and shoot at them, but then we would probably have to raise taxes again. lol

So the big one was a decoy for the small one eh? Nice tactical thinking fromthose pesky martians!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Granted I'm no astronomer...but can you actually call it an impact if it doesn't hit the ground?
  • Options
    lukeminherexxlukeminherexx Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Also you can keep up with the meteor passing at NASA TV: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

There is a live stream here as well: http://www.space.com/19781-asteroid-2012-da14-flyby-webcasts.html
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
    You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else. -Einstein

• Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2013
    Eeep! I saw this on the news this morning. Sounds like no one was seriously injured, but still. Amazing and scary stuff. My best to our Russian players.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The video that actually caught the shockwave hitting the garage and setting the car alarms off was pretty scary.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Granted I'm no astronomer...but can you actually call it an impact if it doesn't hit the ground?

They call Tunguska an Impact Event and it blew up 3 to 6 miles above the ground.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    interesting stuff, i wonder if russia did cause the meteor to explode to prevent a major crash?

does sto have russian players that live in russia?
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    From the videos I saw, I was completely amazed at how no one was pulling their cars over to take a look at this thing, not even when it exploded overhead.

What do you do when there's a giant fireball streaking through the sky dangerously close and exploding overhead, turning dawn into noon in bright flashes? Who cares? The light just turned green! The traffic must continue!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    From the videos I saw, I was completely amazed at how no one was pulling their cars over to take a look at this thing, not even when it exploded overhead.

What do you do when there's a giant fireball streaking through the sky dangerously close and exploding overhead, turning dawn into noon in bright flashes? Who cares? The light just turned green! The traffic must continue!

The answer: Vodka

I had to make that joke, no offence please. <3 Russia
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    csgtmyorkcsgtmyork Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Wow. That's crazy.

Wait, wasn't there a Romero zombie movie that involved a meteorite and radiation? :P
    "Correction. Humans have rules in war. Rules that make victory a little harder to achieve, in my opinion."
    Elim Garak
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    The video that actually caught the shockwave hitting the garage and setting the car alarms off was pretty scary.

Yep - I didn't realize it caught the sound of the air blast when I first watched it so I had the sound pretty high and nearly had a heart attack myself; and it really spooked my poor cat..

I'm just really glad it was high enough in the atmosphere that no major structural damage (or worse) occurred; but I have heard there were reports of some deaths; so if true, that's a terrible situation regardless. But still, had there been a ground impact, things would probably have been WAY worse.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Yesterday? The larger one isn't due for another hour and 20 minutes: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21442863
  • Options
    altai8008altai8008 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Its a good job that insurance scams, and corrupt traffic police are so prevalent in Russia. Otherwise we'd have no footage!
  • Options
    bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The meteor came from Klendathu.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • Options
    altai8008altai8008 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bloctoad wrote: »

g*ddamn bugs whacked us Johnny..
  • Options
    dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bloctoad wrote: »
    Asteroids from Klendathu are a major threat, and can cause serious damage.
    Would you like to know more?
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    We really need to work on serious deflection strategies. This one was a minor event; the next one might not be.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Oh don't get me started on Starship Troopers quotes. :D
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    dma1986 wrote: »
    Asteroids from Klendathu are a major threat, and can cause serious damage.
    Would you like to know more?

I clicked on it... but got nuthin'... Damn BUGS are everywhere... ;)
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    interesting stuff, i wonder if russia did cause the meteor to explode to prevent a major crash?

A meteor that size will typically explode on its own, it's called an air burst. They're usually low density stony meteorites or comet fragments, but not always - the Sikhote-Alin air burst was an iron meteorite. If the conditions are right, a meteor will break up in a way that suddenly exposes a large surface area to ablation, and the sudden increase in heating blasts the object apart. It's not technically an explosion, but only in the way that most Hollywood special effects aren't technically explosions - there's a boom and a lot of fire

The last one was in Brazil in the late 90's, not as large as this one, though in 1993 there was one much larger than this in Itlay at a much higher altitude.