test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Update on Fleet Marks and Dilithium

Comments

• antovarasantovaras Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I thought Cryptic had learned their lesson with depending on Data Mining years ago in City of Heroes... Seems it's a hard lesson easily forgotten.
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
    "Why?" They ask "they hate you"
    We're heroes it's what we do.
    *patiently waiting on Paragon City*
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    thebumble wrote: »
    Its interesting the surveys we've been getting are from PWE and not Cryptic. I don't think this is a coincidence...

Think maybe their worried the bad press from this Foundry debacle will roll over onto Neverwinter?

This is a PWE forum, so Bran and the rest of the mods work for PWE and not Cryptic. All they'd have to do is drop an e-mail to the right person at PWE...

Maybe this survey is showing PWE's unhappiness and that sh*ts started rolling downhill...

It really does amaze me that in the short time I have played this game there have already been 3 instances where they have severely angered their player base. The only thing I can remember people getting severely upset over while i played WoW was when WOTLK came out and the discs were DVD and not CD so some people couldn't install the game that night.

Just makes me think...how many times do they think they can just put people through the ringer till it all comes crashing down? I've seen companies crumble from mismanagement and I have to say, I am seeing familiar patterns here. I obviously do not want them to fail. I want them keep STO around for a very long time. It just frightens me when I see stuff like this and all we get is a response that is a very obvious fabrication. One thing my mother taught me is if you tell only half the truth you might as well be lying.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • panicswitchedpanicswitched Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm not sure why people are complaining too much about the Fleet Mark deals. Yea the missions aren't fantastic, but they straight up said they are adding more means to get marks. That being said, the smaller fleets complaining about progressing too slow?

Get more members or just accept that you will progress slower. I am in a 250+ member fleet we have about 30 people active at a time. We LIKE that it takes us a day or 2 or a bit longer to get projects going. We are working towards something.

While I appreciate that people like smaller, more intimate fleets, you shouldn't expect to get access just as fast. A smaller fleet reaching Tier 5 should have a lot to be proud of though.

Overall, asides from the foundry I would like to see more raw content. A large scale expansion of the story/storylines and a fair amount of new fleet activities. While i know these take time, and we have had some new missions, overall the pace of new content compared to new features has been been sorely out of pace. Fleet content would be a good way to extend on this....we are at war with the Klingons, are we not? Some more fleet events or even PvP fleet events would be nice to advance here.
  • user839020189287user839020189287 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    olivia211 wrote: »
    how many times do they think they can just put people through the ringer till it all comes crashing down?

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

- Albert Einstein

:D
    "Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
    Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
  • tjexcimer500tjexcimer500 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Your logic in the extremely long post is flawed, period.

As your customer, I've spent several hundred last year because I really did enjoy the game you've created. I even purchased Zen just as a thank you for new content you added (that Zen is just sitting in my account, still - because I have nearly everything already in the c-store).

As the customer, the one who pays real money for your free-to-play game, you have twice taken away an aspect of the game which had been in place for several months that I've enjoyed. The first aspect you removed rendered a portion of my purchases useless.

As the customer, I am not satisfied with this patch and I do not care for your reasons at all. It seems like you're just making excuses to limit access to content you've created so it will last "longer" - well here's a brainstorm - make more content quicker.

This is a second slap in the face and demoralizing action.

I could equally give a very long post explaining this concept further to you, but instead I'll make it plain and simple so that even your bean-counters can understand:

NOT ONE MORE DIME FROM ME UNTIL THIS IS RESTORED.

Let me also add - that as someone who was extremely active in the original NWN community for several years, and was intent on purchasing the Founder's Pack this holiday weekend - forget that $ as well.

57. Good customers are as rare as latinum; treasure them.

Let me change this to suit the f2p market:
    PAYING CUSTOMERS ARE AS RARE AS LATINUM - treasure them; don't tread on them.
    There are Four Lights... say no to ARC
    Fleet: 1st Order of Role-Players' Guild - gaming together since 2004
    edited February 2013
    I'm not sure why people are complaining too much about the Fleet Mark deals. Yea the missions aren't fantastic, but they straight up said they are adding more means to get marks. That being said, the smaller fleets complaining about progressing too slow?

Get more members or just accept that you will progress slower. I am in a 250+ member fleet we have about 30 people active at a time. We LIKE that it takes us a day or 2 or a bit longer to get projects going. We are working towards something.

While I appreciate that people like smaller, more intimate fleets, you shouldn't expect to get access just as fast. A smaller fleet reaching Tier 5 should have a lot to be proud of though.

Overall, asides from the foundry I would like to see more raw content. A large scale expansion of the story/storylines and a fair amount of new fleet activities. While i know these take time, and we have had some new missions, overall the pace of new content compared to new features has been been sorely out of pace. Fleet content would be a good way to extend on this....we are at war with the Klingons, are we not? Some more fleet events or even PvP fleet events would be nice to advance here.

Is this a new account? What is this sorcery?
  • valiant797valiant797 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    In a recent podcast Mr. Stahl mentioned "Unmet expectations" lead to disappointments and complains. Moderate community expectations by communicating with them beforehand not afterward.

They tried that. Everything was met with a rage thread like this. We wonder why they never comment on the forums anymore :rolleyes:

I know I'm in the apparent minority on this thread, but seriously. Its 50 fleet marks. Running Starbase Incursion and Colony Invasion gets you the same amount of marks with less time invested.

And if you're going to complain that it's boring, I imagine when you used the Foundry to get your Marks you played the exact same mission over and over and over.
    <signature under reconstruction>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want cheap commodities? Yeah you do. Commodity Cheat Sheet (includes food and data samples)

Want to make the game better? Might I suggest this form
    edited February 2013
    valiant797 wrote: »
    And if you're going to complain that it's boring, I imagine when you used the Foundry to get your Marks you played the exact same mission over and over and over.

At least in the foundry, I didn't have to wait hours for a queue to maybe start up or not. Guess you never played KDF nor are aware of what KDF has to put up with...

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
    edited February 2013
    I know I'm in the apparent minority on this thread, but seriously. Its 50 fleet marks. Running Starbase Incursion and Colony Invasion gets you the same amount of marks with less time invested.

You can do both of those in 15 minutes? I doubt it. Even so, half the time I end up with AFKers so just like that instead of 5 people working to complete the mission, it's 4 or sometimes even 3.
  • solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Just makes me think...how many times do they think they can just put people through the ringer till it all comes crashing down?.

Problem is too many people on here really are angry and would love to quit to show Cryptic they are not happy, but they don't do it. They are hooked and Cryptic knows it.

Sure, some might not buy some stuff for a few weeks, but come the next lock box, or new event, they will come back in droves.

Dan knows this.

What I find surprising is that everyone says the forums are only a small minority of players and most others are "blissfully" playing the game, yet when something major happens, Dan and the rest of the squad are on here posting there long speeches asap.

Could it be that maybe more than a small minority actually come to the forums?

And to those CDFers that keep chucking in their little "just leave" or "can I have your stuff". Your just as bad as the "naysers".

I truely hope one day, all those who do say they want to quit, do actually quit. Once you hit them in the pocket they will listen.
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
  • assimilatethis02assimilatethis02 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You can do both of those in 15 minutes? I doubt it. Even so, half the time I end up with AFKers so just like that instead of 5 people working to complete the mission, it's 4 or sometimes even 3.

I think the criticism here is more than just over the 50 marks.

It has to do with the fact that Stahl is now saying that small fleets don't really matter and that the projects are MEANT to be harder for smaller fleets.

It's also the tone he's posting in, almost like "Let me school you because you are oh so wrong".

These things are what are causing this backlash, not just the loss of marks.
    Captain Jason A. Kendall
    U.S.S. Indianapolis NCC-94668
    90th Special Operations Task Force
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    fleet marks for pvp
  • frelsi777frelsi777 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why not just increase the fleet marks rewards from those fleet events (No win, fleet alert, etc ) from 25 at best to 75 at worst?

and a loot bag at the end of those missions could help to encourage players to play them, so no more dead queues.

is that too difficult to do? :confused:

Just please do this. It would give us a short term win / win while Cryptic has time to develop more fleet related content.
    edited February 2013
    My 7 characters and Starbase are well deleted... just saying.

• valiant797valiant797 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited February 2013

15-20 minutes. Yeah. Easy peasie.
    (edit: For fun, queued up for colony invasion. 3 minute wait, 7 minute run (even with a server disconnect in the middle) and 19 fleet marks)

I'm aware of the KDF Klingon queue problem, both for fleet events and PvP. I don't have a magic wand to fix that one.
    <signature under reconstruction>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want cheap commodities? Yeah you do. Commodity Cheat Sheet (includes food and data samples)

Want to make the game better? Might I suggest this form
    edited February 2013
    I'm aware of the KDF Klingon queue problem, both for fleet events and PvP. I don't have a magic wand to fix that one.

Well, the foundry was helping us out until today...

• frelsi777frelsi777 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think the criticism here is more than just over the 50 marks.

It has to do with the fact that Stahl is now saying that small fleets don't really matter and that the projects are MEANT to be harder for smaller fleets.

It's also the tone he's posting in, almost like "Let me school you because you are oh so wrong".

These things are what are causing this backlash, not just the loss of marks.

Bottom line is they made a huge mistake by removing fleet mark rewards from foundry prior to giving an alternative way to earn fleet marks. Now they are covering up their mistake with a PR speech.

Yes in the future they will fix this, but for the next few months earning fleet marks is going to be virtually impossible.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My 7 characters and Starbase are well deleted... just saying.

Then why, if you literally no longer have any reason to be here what with deleting a starbase and all seven of your characters, are you still posting here? You're done. You have no horse in this race any longer.
  • assimilatethis02assimilatethis02 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    frelsi777 wrote: »
    Bottom line is they made a huge mistake by removing fleet mark rewards from foundry prior to giving an alternative way to earn fleet marks. Now they are covering up their mistake with a PR speech.

Yes in the future they will fix this, but for the next few months earning fleet marks is going to be virtually impossible.

Agreed. And they grind-heavy process doesn't help either. I thought maybe they were going to announce here a revamp both of the current system for large fleets and some more tweaks to make smaller fleets worth working at.

As it stands, I say to heck with the Starbases - they do NOTHING right now, so why should I waste time, effort, and currency on something they're not willing to at least meet me halfway on? I, and my fleet, might as well just forget it for now and focus on the personal rep system.
    Captain Jason A. Kendall
    U.S.S. Indianapolis NCC-94668
    90th Special Operations Task Force
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have to question the timing of this, after careful consideration.

I know of one fleet that has officially reached Tier Five status, along with a couple of others that are very very close if not there yet.

Given that this has occurred mere DAYS after the official announcement over twitter I have to wonder at the timing.

Ok we have a fleet at Tier Five, that's ahead of schedule... lets put the brakes on.

In the end it doesn't matter. I spent over an hour waiting to do colony run this evening, no one was playing. Incursion, blockade, defense... all dead.

If the intention was to put a halt on fleet progression they managed to bring things to an all-stop condition.
    edited February 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Then why, if you literally no longer have any reason to be here what with deleting a starbase and all seven of your characters, are you still posting here? You're done. You have no horse in this race any longer.

I paid for the game and this thread is for input.

• smazazelsmazazel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    dastahl wrote: »
    Average max level player refining per day is nowhere near the cap yet. Once the average Dilithium refined per day by max level players gets closer to the cap, we'll consider it.

So your idea of avg max level INCLUDES alts on all accounts some that people play not as offen or use to grinding other things then dilith.
    edited February 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »

Because he wants his voice to be heard. Because he wants to let off steam and to let Cryptic know he's not happy.

just like your post that your not happy. He has done it in a different way.

Doubt he has though, but still, if he has, then Bravo.

Didn't take you long to jump back into the "Fold" eh Jexam.
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
    edited February 2013
    smazazel wrote: »
    So your idea of avg max level INCLUDES alts on all accounts some that people play not as offen or use to grinding other things then dilith.

sounds like the shady dealings of a mob accountant. I bet they even count the FTP accounts that haven't been touched in months.
    edited February 2013
    solomace wrote: »
    Because he wants his voice to be heard. Because he wants to let off steam and to let Cryptic know he's not happy.

just like your post that your not happy. He has done it in a different way.

Would not say it if I did not mean it... Wish I could verify but sadly am not able to.

All I have is my word but am sure cryptic can verify I am gone internally.

All toons @Uus... gone.

edited February 2013
    Would not say it if I did not mean it... Wish I could verify but sadly am not able to.

All I have is my word but am sure cryptic can verify I am gone internally.

I get that your unhappy, but I hope you have only uninstalled and not deleted.

I haven't played this game since it went f2p, but I haven't deleted my toon (yes, there are some of us with only 1 toon) in the hope that the game gets bought out by another company, Dan leaves and the game starts to turn around.

I know this isn't gonna happen, but I wait and hope.

If you have deleted, then well done. It maybe only a blip on their "metrics", but if other do the same, they will get the message.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Regardless of our intentions, we're all unhappy about the same thing. Reputation and starbases are limiting the game when they could be the best tool against it.
  • solidsamsolidsam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Foundry missions had a useful reward. It was called fleet marks. This allowed us all to finally enjoy earning fleet marks instead of endlessly grinding the same boring fleet missions currently available that we've all played to death.

Thank you for putting the chore back in the process and taking the fun out of the equation. I can now expect my fleet progress to go back to pre-season 7 levels, which was nearly non-existent. Thanks again. What a fantastic Valentine's Day gift to the players from Cryptic.
    Formerly known as Khannnnn
    "Spock, this 'child' is about to wipe out every living thing on Earth. Now, what do you suggest we do? Spank it?" -Commander Leonard 'Bones' McCoy, M.D.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    dastahl wrote: »
    I appreciate that we don't always make good decisions. We do listen to feedback and we do adjust in order to make things better for everyone.

I have a few suggestions I would like to send your way. You are more than likely already aware due to some problems back when the game had a really low point in 2011 that of most of the players playing a lot of them basically had solo fleets. Some people like myself invested in a solo fleet but do belong to a large fleet because it was the nature of the Starbase beast.

This may involve a new system but I think it may help with the issue of smaller fleets and solo fleets. In this one game if I name it will just get censored although that game has lost its appeal it had some good intentions in its systems. Anyways the idea of a mentoring system might be what the game needs. Which it could easily be a modified version of the reputation system or reputation stores. The idea behind this is some people may or may not want to merge fleets. The DS9 episode AR-558 I believe is kind of the cornerstone of this which could also be a bridge for Cryptic to get in a crafting revamp as well with this design. Say you have fleets that have basically 1-25 people and they can lock in one area their outpost would specialize in but after that it would no longer be able to build a starbase because it would basically be in a support status for a larger fleets starbase. The pro's for this is you could link it to where if a character in said small fleet is linked to supporting a larger fleet they would have access to use vendors and such like that but they would use fleet credit and provisions built from their outpost/base/etc. The benefit to the larger fleet is if the system can score how many times the outpost has defended their starbase basically like the AR-558 episode where they held off the jem hadar the larger fleet when they do their large scale fleet missions each of the characters in the large fleet could get fleet mark bonuses. So for people that being low numbers is really hard they can still compete just in a not so big role but in the end the large and small fleets are basically working toward a common goal as the system was originally designed.

The part about it helping crafting is depending on the type of support base military, engineering, or science these outposts could be where people from the large and small fleets who are linked together under an alliance or sorts would do their R&D/Crafting for those areas where it can be be revamped to fit in the direction STO is going. One scenario of this type of thing I would be interested in seeing most of all is Fed and KDF Demon class planet research outposts into tech like the tholians are doing on nukara for defense of an outpost in EV suits.

One thing I would mention tho on the line of Starbases is I know you have spun the 18% banner many times but this is one issue where the emphasis should be altered for the KDF. Since there are not that many of us the KDF compared to the Federation is it really called for to expect the same amount of contributions for a part of the player base that will always be a minority but expected to donate the same thing as a playerbase 50%-60% more than the entire playerbase of the KDF? On same token though one of the problems along with the playerbase being pretty small with the KDF is possibly lowering the minimum level on the KDF specific ones so you can atleast get in with maybe 2-3 people instead of waiting hours to do one mission to get 5 players not to mention I can't remember the last time 20 people were on in a fleet I've been in or much less 20 kdf players in a que for something KDF only.

Edit: Also this change was coincidental I believe with some Fleets at or Near Tier 5 on fed side but Doubtful any KDF fleets are near it. The Starbases High Dilithium Tags must be the reason on most of the decision making because of the fact the Dilithium Exchange would not be as long as it is now if most of the fleets in STO hit Tier 5 theres not much of a reason for people to have a demand for dilithium. Although some of my ideas might be the next thing to keep the dilithium train moving.
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hi dastahl,

Thanks for taking the time to come and speak with the community and clarifying this for us.

I appreciate that the FM were removed for a reason, and look forward to seeing them distributed to other areas.

I only hope that you make it so that one is able to run a single event for the 50 FM/ 60 FM as with the IOR. This was really the lifeblood of smaller fleets, such as my own. If you divide the FM's across multiple missions, nothing will be achieved IMO, and smaller fleets will still find it very difficult to cope.

You say that your statistics show that there is no a shortage of FM. I disagree. My fleet is starved of FM all the time, in addition to dilithium.

I love Star Trek Online, you know I do - I continue to support the game I love, because I believe in the vision.

Please stick to your word, and help the smaller fleets also enjoy the rewards of the fleet advancements. So much in the game, now days - revolved around what fleet/ emb. gear you must have or don't have, that I find myself left behind, and as such not all that inclined to play.

I was really saddened that some of my toons when I completed the Omega Rep. system I did not received the rewards some of my other toons did. It was also frustrating to unlock Tier 5 of the rep systems only to be faced with multiple items that each require a major grind in themselves.

Personally, I preferred the old system. At least your stood a chance of finishing it sooner rather than later. People like hope. People like to think "this time I'm going to get it!" Tell them, no you will get it in "10 months", and folks start losing their minds quickly.

In this case, I got to the "10 months", only to be faced with another "10". (The number is hypothetical.)

Cheers,
    @drkfrontiers
This discussion has been closed.