Install Arc
Options

Update on Fleet Marks and Dilithium

Comments

• Options
    clintsatclintsat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    dastahl wrote: »
    Average max level player refining per day is nowhere near the cap yet. Once the average Dilithium refined per day by max level players gets closer to the cap, we'll consider it.

There are two additional big changes coming in May that will greatly improve a Fleet's abilities to complete projects, I'm just not at liberty to talk about them yet.

We have a small fleet ourselves (with no cheaty dev accounts either) and we're only at T3 - so we understand how challenging it can be if everyone isn't playing the right content or contributing.

We are beginning the tuning process that will get us to where we want to be for the big May update and that includes adding new things and balancing existing things.

Fleet Marks will becoming common rewards for "Group Queued Gameplay" whereas Dilithium will be focused on more solo Mission Gameplay.

We appreciate that there is frustration about losing the Fleet Marks in the Foundry, but Fleet Marks were never intended for solo based gameplay.

Balancing is no fun, but we hear the suggestions that trying to get in the groove with a standard set of content is important. That is where we are trying to go without horking the economy.

And to answer the naysayers - STO had its best month of growth ever and the game is only going to get bigger, expecially this summer. We do look at the economy reports every day. Players ARE earning more Dilithium AND more Fleet Marks than they ever have.

Removing the Marks from the Foundry needed to happen, and since it was scheduled to come off after the Anniversary, it did. We will get Fleet Marks back into more appropriate content quickly as we did after Season 7 launch.

I appreciate that we don't always make good decisions. We do listen to feedback and we do adjust in order to make things better for everyone.

Relying on averages is not a very good way to analyze data, especially when setting maximum tolerances such as dilithium refinement caps. I have hundreds of thousands of dilithium that I can't refine and use on my fleet's starbase - that is why we are so starved on dilithium. On top of that, your team is removing one of the few fleet mark generators my fleet enjoyed doing together aside from No Win Scenario. I'm not sure I understand the logic of taking something like this away and not having a workable replacement ready to implement. What could possibly be the reason to rush this out?

Future promises for May are great....why make the game less fun in Feb-April spoiling your lead into May? Your arguments really do not make much sense (I'm inclined to believe this is because you cannot divulge the real data/reasoning behind them). You say that people are earning more dilithium and fleet marks (not sure if this is per character or not - if it isn't per character then you have a serious data interpretation issue...) than ever before but you just took out what they were using to get both...How is that an argument for the change?
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gr4v1t4r wrote: »
    Guess he does know his Sun Tzu; "If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected."

I think you're forgetting that Sun Tzu didn't have to fight the "I Quit" button.
  • Options
    user839020189287user839020189287 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gr4v1t4r wrote: »
    Guess he does know his Sun Tzu...

"Be like water" and dry up...;)
    "Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
    Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
  • Options
    allenscottallenscott Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thank you, Mr. Stahl, for making Cryptics intentions clear. Seeing the bigger picture and a glimpse into the original design purpose does shed light onto what I sometimes see as odd game changes. However, two concerns leap to top of mind. Perhaps you could address them as an appendix to the above posting.

1.Putting more dilithium into the players hands HAS happened. That is true. But the dilithium COSTS of many reputation items/unlocks and dilithium store items are considerably high. That would offset the new amount of dilithium put into our hands by quite a bit, would it not?

2.Many players feel restricted to a small range of play-style in order to remain competitive with fellow STO gamers. While this would seem like an obvious characteristic of an MMO, it may be more of an omen to future issues with player base retention. STO really is a great game and I would love to continue spending my free time and free entertainment budget here, with other members of the player community. But, when the realization hits that a particular Elite Special Task Force has been completed around three dozen times and you're still just a bit short on Omega Marks for that last Omega MK XII Space Set piece...well lets just say that STO could lose much of its allure quickly at that pace.

We all want to play STO and love it. Indirectly, that means we want STO to make money so that it can remain accessible. Directly, many of us do not find assembly line styled mission grinding a fulfilling way to spend free time. I can hear the other half of the player base right now typing "then leave, delete your account and go play something else". Yes, that's certainly an option. But if anyone who purchases even occasional Zen or subscriptions were to leave, wouldn't that be diminishing STO for you? If anyone gets bored and moves on to any other MMO, thats less business for THIS MMO. 'Our' MMO I guess you could say. I do not mean to whine. This isn't even intended to be a complaint. I only want all involved parties to insure that STO is a sustainable business model as well as a great and fulfilling way for people to spend their free time and expendable income. This is a balance that should, and can be maintained. It's a balance we can all be happy with for a long time. Is STO balanced in this way at this time?
  • Options
    izdubar2izdubar2 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm really amused of the fact that they only looked at two really bad industry-standard (and outdated) models for fleet holdings instead of finding a solution that doesn't require the constant antagonizing of their customer base every couple of weeks.

Really at this juncture, STO has returned to the pit that season 7 originally put the game in -- a place that is neither fun nor entertaining.
    How MMO companies reach for the stars: "And as far as Season 7 being "grindy" - welcome to the MMORPG genre."
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's attitudes like this that lead to games going down the drain; people too willing to pay for and accept mediocrity and poor decisions, while failing to hold the devs accountable.

I only yell when things actually effect me I'm in 3 fleets all doing well despite the foundry, unlike some fleets we actually do things together and enjoy each others company we are not in a rush to get to tier 5 even though the KDF fleet I am is getting real close. so meh more Dil less work more free Zen I'm happy.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    omnimagusomnimagus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

We have a small fleet ourselves (with no cheaty dev accounts either) and we're only at T3 - so we understand how challenging it can be if everyone isn't playing the right content or contributing.

Yes, but there's a very key distinction between my fleet and yours.

I pay for mine. With the money that comes out of my wallet. I buy zen with U.S. Dollars. I was a subscriber until last week. You, on the other hand get paid U.S. dollars for these "challenges", it's your job. I don't.

I pay for the privilege of these "challenges". I'm asking for 50 fleet marks a half hour in return for my time and money. This is too much to ask?

Really?
    Seriously?
    Dude?

Look, I realize this won't be a popular suggestion, but I'd be happy to convert zen into Fleet Marks at this point. This is about return on my time, Dan. Nothing more, nothing less. You've gone too far into the red on us this time. The current reward structure isn't worth the effort. Put the fleet marks in STF's next week. How hard can that be? Seriously?

I hate to go on and on, though I'm sure it provides great mirth for the "dood, can i has yer stuffs" segment of this conversation, but I really just can't fathom this change, or the attitude behind it. If I could, I'd shut up, even if I disagreed with it. This just strikes me as tragically out of touch with your customers, and the responses you've made here reinforce this.

Would you be so kind then, to aid my understanding, by showing us where your metrics demonstrate paying customers wanted a reduction in their rewards? Or is the order of the day just "because we said so"? Your customers have found a way to play the game that isn't quite how you intended. So? Can't be happy that they're playing the game, and paying your salary? There's certainly no shortage of others out there they could be playing instead. Yes, perhaps you had the best month in your games history. I contributed to that with my credit card by the way. Maybe next month will even be better. I don't know. I do know, speaking from my own experience as a small business owner that this sort of customer dis-service will catch up to you sooner or later. Might be next month, might be next year. You can only throw your weight around so long before people question their spending habits.

We are beginning the tuning process that will get us to where we want to be for the big May update and that includes adding new things and balancing existing things.

That's not good enough. If this is the best you can offer, well I guess then maybe I'll log in sometime in May.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    "Be like water" and dry up...;)

If I'm not mistaken, the "flow like a river...be like a mountain" pairing comes from a Japanese text, not the Art of War. Way of the Five Rings I want to say (may be botching the title slightly)?
  • Options
    littlemonchichilittlemonchichi Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why there is no Tier/Project/Quality of Items Limit depending on Fleet Size?

You need a bigger/wider/higher Starbase with 500 members as a fleet with 25.

With 10 members Tier 1 limit
    With 25 members Tier 2 limit
    With 50 members Tier 3 limit

as limit and depending on the members the project costs.

Would be a solution and a possibility for smaller fleets to start easier than now.

Why no Fleetmarks (no big amounts) for differents "jobs" in the Fleetbase.
    These bring this from place a to b or click in several rooms several consoles.
    1. a nice reason to spend time on the fleetbase and
    2. a nice possibility to earn Fleetmarks

Season 7 brought many many bad changes and every week you have to fear omething is getting worse...like this week
    "Be excellent to each other and Party on Dudes!"
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    If I'm not mistaken, the "flow like a river...be like a mountain" pairing comes from a Japanese text, not the Art of War. Way of the Five Rings I want to say (may be botching the title slightly)?

Shhh... superior text imo and from a real person. ;)

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
  • Options
    boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Read Dan's posts. All I took from it is I don't really need to log in again until May. And then, maybe, it'll be worth trying to advance my fleet projects again. Maybe.

In other related news, If I don't log in again until May, maybe my freakin backlog of unprocessed dilithium will all finally be usable.

I mean, how can any of us max level characters be nowhere close to refining cap - when all we can do is earn the huge amounts of dilithium now? I know my BOUND TO CHARACTER VIP mining claims aren't causing me any refining backlogs. Nope. No Sir. :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Both of these suggestions are in line with the changes coming.

is there away to add Lobi in fleet missions once Fleet has hit tier 5 or trade fleet marks for Lobi
  • Options
    gr4v1t4rgr4v1t4r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think you're forgetting that Sun Tzu didn't have to fight the "I Quit" button.

Sure he did, ever heard of desertion? "Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look upon them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."

There's a lesson in here for someone....
    Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    askray wrote: »
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What really stings alot of people is the near stealth nerf.

A patch note was snuck in almost at the last minute. Someone happened to catch it and post it. Heck, there was even an attempt to bury the thread until wiser heads prevailed.

This wasn't even discused, but was snuck in behind the back of the player base.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    BTW dan, better be seeing fleet marks added to stfs since thats group play... i expect that to go next patch tyvm.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    tallbittallbit Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If you completely ignore the Academy Events (easy 4600 per hour of play), mining (1000 for 7 minutes work during non-event periods), elite STFs (960 for roughly 15 minutes), and DOFFing (easily several thousand a day with a good crew), this might be true. Maybe.
    I Have to agree with the masses and I will just have to stop playing this STO. When they are so quick to stop us from taking advantage in-game I.E.. the "Weapons Free", but then lack the sense to see the comunity in an up-roar about FOUNDRY MISSIONS. This is one of your worst decisions you have most certainly made. I only hope I can convince more of my friends to drop this game for as long as it takes for you fix it. And I hope you enjoy the lack of people playing or buying Zen your real money from this game.
  • Options
    redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well I just looked at my Zen purchase history. WOW I buy a lot of Zen. Im in a small fleet (about 15 active) and I buy most of the Dil and other items to keep the Fleets progression up and I also like crafting consoles and giving them to my fleet mates. I have a good job and dont have many vices except this game perhaps. I spent on the average over the last 6 months about $300 a month. I know to some thats crazy but many people spend more than that on entertainment or clubbing or nice resturaunts or whatever so dont judge. The only power i have to reverse this slap in the face is to withhold my financial support of this game until such time as it is fixed
  • Options
    izdubar2izdubar2 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And to answer the naysayers - STO had its best month of growth ever and the game is only going to get bigger, expecially this summer. We do look at the economy reports every day. Players ARE earning more Dilithium AND more Fleet Marks than they ever have.

I'm just going to guess that that's the month when the IOR change to repeatable was made and since that's been nerfed, your metrics will now sharply plummet.
    How MMO companies reach for the stars: "And as far as Season 7 being "grindy" - welcome to the MMORPG genre."
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The only power i have to reverse this slap in the face is to withhold my financial support of this game until such time as it is fixed

Don't forget the Ritual of Hegh'bat! My 7 characters no long suffer in this instanced world of shame.

• Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Actually what I get from all this is simple.

Cryptic has decided how long in real days they want the grinds to take. If we grind too fast/hard they will nerf rewards and/or move the goal post. Same response if we grind too slow.

So what is the point? If we all just stop grinding they will lower the requirements/boost the rewards. So if you are unhappy stop doing anything that gets you the currency you think is unfairly granted.
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What happen to your facebook post about this news post? I saw it on facebook and knew to come over and read it but now it is mysteriously missing? Could it be you all took it down to hide it from the masses and not get the negative comments on the facebook site?
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I only yell when things actually effect me I'm in 3 fleets all doing well despite the foundry, unlike some fleets we actually do things together and enjoy each others company we are not in a rush to get to tier 5 even though the KDF fleet I am is getting real close. so meh more Dil less work more free Zen I'm happy.

So again, you are happy with mediocrity?

And who has mentioned rushing to get to T5? People have mentioned being ok with the average 7 months to get to T5. Nothing wrong with playing with friends, but the same missions get old and sometimes you want to do something else every now and then.

Nothing wrong if you like the grind, repetitive content, and lack of Foundry incentive, but why should I be forced into that? You get a choice, I don't.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    mikefl wrote: »
    What happen to your facebook post about this news post? I saw it on facebook and knew to come over and read it but now it is mysteriously missing? Could it be you all took it down to hide it from the masses and not get the negative comments on the facebook site?

Simple solution. Post your concerns about this change on any post on their facebook page.

The world deserves to know.
  • Options
    jam062307jam062307 Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    To say the "average" fleet size is 25 players is a false representation of what size fleet the majority of fleets are. We know that there are fleets out there of hundreds of players. These fleets skew the "average" fleet size towards the higher end. To know these fleets exist but still have an average fleet size of 25 tells me there are many many fleets out there of less than 25. A better way to guess fleet size is to look at what the mean fleet size is. Take all the fleets, rank them by members, and which fleet size is in the middle. I'd be willing to guess that's probably about 15 members. So if we have 1000 fleets in STO 500 fleets have 15 players or less. So knowing that the MAJORITY of fleets in the game are so small, it seems silly to cater the system to those few fleets who boast big member rosters when many many more fleets have so few in comparison.

Also, what do these metrics look like for the KDF? You know that other faction thats treated like the red-headed step child of the game. I wait in queues for 30 minutes without getitng a hit, and then when they finally do go I'm rewarded with less than 20 FM. I can play the game for 2 hours and not even make 50 FM on the KDF side. Its ridiculous! Also, this isn't even getting to the fact that we've only had these same fleet missions for going on 9 months now grinding over and over again!
    STOP THE
    tacofangs wrote: »
    We planned on doing it next weekend, but then we saw your post and were like, "Dude, we should totally move that up a week! Tee Hee!"
  • Options
    boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    mikefl wrote: »

Ummm, yeah. Pretty sure that's why its gone.

Just a guess.

But I hear if you check back in May, all of this maybe will be fixed.

That will, I am sure, be mentioned prominently on facebook. If it happens.

Odds of it happening? Shake a magic 8 ball - its answer is probably just as valid as anything you get from Cryptic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    a question to dan : are you trying to kill all the smaller fleets off ? , i ask this because it looks that way to me and proberly many other small fleets . most of my fleet left to join bigger fleets due to how expensive it was dilithium wise etc , you keep saying you are looking at ways to help the smaller fleets but have failed to show that you are trying to help . to me STO is less fun to play now than it was last march when i first started playing , are you trying to drive some fans of trek away ?
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • Options
    dezitdezit Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'll be honest, I was gone for a while and only just returned. I'm in a fleet I founded just over 3 years ago. We're a small fleet, under 25 active members. Many of the members are lifetime subscribers and have been in STO since launch. Here are my thoughts:

When I first came back and saw the new Fleet Holdings, my first thought was they were way too expensive for a small fleet like ours. We'll take for ever to max out. Going off topic, I also found the game to have gotten very grindy. As well, $20 for a Fleet ship! WTF? I've purchased over 40 keys which have yielded very little and nothing I was at all excited about. That's $40 for almost nothing!

I'll be permanently done with STO the moment a new MMORPG I like comes out.

$20 for a ship!?!?!?
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    boglejam73 wrote: »
    Read Dan's posts. All I took from it is I don't really need to log in again until May. And then, maybe, it'll be worth trying to advance my fleet projects again. Maybe.

In other related news, If I don't log in again until May, maybe my freakin backlog of unprocessed dilithium will all finally be usable.

I mean, how can any of us max level characters be nowhere close to refining cap - when all we can do is earn the huge amounts of dilithium now? I know my BOUND TO CHARACTER VIP mining claims aren't causing me any refining backlogs. Nope. No Sir. :rolleyes:

Thats pretty much what I got out of it too and I hit my refining cap daily on 8 toons... I guess I'll go back to SWTOR until may like I did when season 7 came out and hope they see the light by then.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    bugshubugshu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As for larger fleets, they get slapped in the face with these changes as well.

I will tell you that the larger fleets with high level starbases are getting where they do not want new members. Fleet Admirals with tier 3 / 4 starbases worry about people donating 500,000 fleet marks to their smaller homey fleet then leaving coming to the big fleet and then buying gear and goods from the fleet starbase and after they have taken the inventory down in the big fleet they leave fleet and return to their small fleet where they give the "majority" of donations.

When someone from a big or mega fleet hears tell me what starbase level you are on then more often than not they do not want that player. A lot of tier 4 / 5 starbases got there by doing the 1000 point missions rather than the 500 point missions that also stocked their stores. There are some tier 4 / 5 starbases that do not have well stocked stores. And there are a lot of new players looking for tier 4 / 5 fleets with stocked stores and they arent always wanting to join them to be on good pvp teams.

Leaders have more trouble trusting new members and new members have trouble being in fleets where they are not "trusted". Lots of bigger fleets have had endless boring meetings about who gets to buy from stores and who doesnt and what they have to do to earn the rights to buy from fleet stores. It doesnt matter if you have a tier 5 shipyard if ship provisions are set at zero in it.

Chintzing out on commodities to build and stock starbases is just a bad idea.

Cryptic obviously wants people to have to work harder to earn the right to buy from them but its a bad idea. There are a lot of empty malls these days because Mall owners took for granted their customers willingness to do a lot of walking to shop.

These are stupid, horrid changes. And it comes from the Cryptic mindset of wanting to micromanage and gate their players experiences and make the game less fun for them so that players who stick around can feel they "earned" something rather than played the game and had fun.
This discussion has been closed.