syberghost wrote: »
    What number would not be arbitrary?

For a skill respec? $1
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    $1

/10char

And how did you arrive at that figure?
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The $5 for a respec token is so....arbitrary.We can understand why we have to pay $20 for a ship,there are development costs attached to it.....but a respec token? What justifies the $5 price tag on that?

And to all that keep rambling on about Dilithium for Zen.....yes it is an option,we have all heard the arguments before,you don't have to keep repeating yourself like a broken record.

want free ones then sub for a month, you get at least 5 respec as you level up, plus you get access to more bank slots, and an account bank that all together costs more than 15 bucks if you buy them separate, plus you get 500 zen for the month, and you can use that to get another rescpc token....but if you want to play for free, then you play for free anything extra well that cost money.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • betawatcherbetawatcher Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And how did you arrive at that figure?

Because we are not purchasing an item(not even a virtual item), we are simply paying for an in game service. And not a service that requires an employee of Cryptic or PW to actually do something to our account, but simply to make a "reset" button clickable in game. So comparatively speaking, if a ship is worth $20(to take the new fleet ones announced today as an example), then a skill reset should only be a small fraction of that. 25%(aka $5) is not a small fraction of something, but $1 is. That is how I arrived at that figure.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Because we are not purchasing an item(not even a virtual item), we are simply paying for an in game service. And not a service that requires an employee of Cryptic or PW to actually do something to our account, but simply to make a "reset" button clickable in game. So comparatively speaking, if a ship is worth $20(to take the new fleet ones announced today as an example), then a skill reset should only be a small fraction of that. 25%(aka $5) is not a small fraction of something, but $1 is. That is how I arrived at that figure.

So, arbitrarily.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
    edited February 2013
    So, arbitrarily.

No, rationally(which is an antonym of arbitrary).
  • atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No, it is not. Rational means logical (progression). Arbitrary means making a choice when there is not precedent that makes one choice more preferrable than the other. Irrational is choosing the opposite of the rational choice. Since arbitrary choices reflect situations where there is no logical preference, it is not opposed to rationality.
  • magusofborgmagusofborg Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    *Walks into thread, sees it's just another noob F2Per thread about wanting something for free, walks back out. *
    Joined August 2009
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    500 is a nice round number that people are used to working with. Arbitrary would be like if they were charging 379. We'd all be wondering where the hell that came from. And it's prime too, nobody likes prime numbers in prices... unless they're below 10. Then primes are OK.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
    edited February 2013
    No, it is not.
    Main Entry: arbitrary  [ahr-bi-trer-ee]

Part of Speech: adjective

Definition: whimsical, chance

Synonyms: approximate, capricious, discretionary, erratic, fanciful, frivolous, inconsistent, injudicious, irrational, irresponsible, offhand, optional, random, subjective, supercilious, superficial, unaccountable, unreasonable, unscientific, wayward, willful

Antonyms: circumspect, rational, reasonable, reasoned, supported

http://thesaurus.com/browse/arbitrary?__utma=1.1132992005.1356976803.1360695092.1360697854.5&__utmb=1.15.9.1360698325785&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1356976803.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=9671861
    edited February 2013
  • cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited February 2013

The cost they charge for things like services aren't based on how much it costs them to run that service. The cost is based on what they think people will pay for that service.

$1 based on your post above is not especially rational, it's just justification for your opinion. A small % is in itself an arbitrary thing, and the % you come up with also arbitrary. Besides you don't even list the %, just the final value. Using the cost of a ship, is also arbitrary. Especially considering the fairly variable cost of ships. Some are $20 and fleet credits, some are $25, some are $10, some are $15.

$5 is likely based on the amount of respec tokens they sell currently, based on how often/easy they want respects to be, and finally it's also based on how likely someone someone will upgrade to gold for the sake of those free respecs you get leveling up.
    edited February 2013
    cptvanor wrote: »
    The cost they charge for things like services aren't based on how much it costs them to run that service. The cost is based on what they think people will pay for that service.

I agree that is true. However the question I was asked was how I arrived at the $1 figure(which is what I think the price should be), hence my explanation. You do not have to agree with my personal opinion, it is simply my answer to the question I was asked.
  • carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    want free ones then sub for a month, you get at least 5 respec as you level up, plus you get access to more bank slots, and an account bank that all together costs more than 15 bucks if you buy them separate, plus you get 500 zen for the month, and you can use that to get another rescpc token....but if you want to play for free, then you play for free anything extra well that cost money.

You assume I have a F2P account......you assumed wrong. I've been a monthly subscriber since day 1.

This is the problem in general,people think they know everything and assume the person on the other end is a freeloading idiot.

Let me put t this way.....do you feel you are getting your money's worth buying a respec token from the C-store for $5 (a.k.a 500 Zen)? And do you feel it's fair not to get a free respec token when Cryptic makes changes to how skills work in such a way that a respec is needed?
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • byzanathosbyzanathos Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've hit the same problem, really had no idea how skills and leveling worked and you level so fast I was/am still a newb even though I've hit 50 and I know my skills are screwed and I guess I will have to fork out to respec them.

500 isn't too bad though, some other prices are a rip off. Like appearance, I've hit random a few times at the Taylor guy and though oh that outfit looks ok... then I look down and see it will cost me ~3000 zen. lol what???

I also think 1000 is over the top for 10 shared account bank slots. if it was 200 I'd buy it but at 1k I think I will just use the mail system to transfer stuff to alts for free...

I'm resigned to the fact I will have to fork out for the respec though, I guess just happy it's not 1000 zen or more.
    edited February 2013
    byzanathos wrote: »
    I've hit the same problem, really had no idea how skills and leveling worked and you level so fast I was/am still a newb even though I've hit 50 and I know my skills are screwed and I guess I will have to fork out to respec them.

500 isn't too bad though, some other prices are a rip off. Like appearance, I've hit random a few times at the Taylor guy and though oh that outfit looks ok... then I look down and see it will cost me ~3000 zen. lol what???

I also think 1000 is over the top for 10 shared account bank slots. if it was 200 I'd buy it but at 1k I think I will just use the mail system to transfer stuff to alts for free...

I'm resigned to the fact I will have to fork out for the respec though, I guess just happy it's not 1000 zen or more.
    Account bank slots are the only way to transfer account bound items between characters. Those items are mostly newer green/blue/purple random loot drops.
  • cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    byzanathos wrote: »
    I also think 1000 is over the top for 10 shared account bank slots.

That's another one of those items that in part cost that much to encourage people to subscribe for a month or more.