test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Persistent Foundry Series: An idea by drkfrontiers

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Absolutely - makes for variety.

well in that case my good sir... can you remove me from the Terran Empire.. and add in the "Ask'kaar Republic"
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    well in that case my good sir... can you remove me from the Terran Empire.. and add in the "Ask'kaar Republic"

Done and done - I'm interested? Care to share some information on the Ask'kaar Republic?
  • rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    When people ask of the Ask'kaar, people simply say; "Dont Ask"! ;)
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
    edited February 2013
    Done and done - I'm interested? Care to share some information on the Ask'kaar Republic?

uhmm.. basically their similiar to the Asari and Krogan from mass effect... (infected with a virus which is slowly bringing them to extinction)

*Their homeworld is called Aska or Ask'kaar Prime
    *For every male Ask'kaar there are ten times as many female Ask'kaar.
    *Due to lowering numbers, Male ask'kaar are prohibated from joining the Ask'kaar navy (space),army or naval(sea based) divisions.
    *They have pink blood
    *They come from beyond the Zenas expanse
    *The Ask'kaar navy have 11 fleets each with over 200 ships in each.
    *Their space boarders with the Tholian Assembly
    *They've been to earth, where they were referred to as Sirens
    *They cannot "mate" with other races (biological disease bla bla bla)
    *They enslave or recruit other races into the Republic using them for whatever they see fit (cannon fodder, slaves etc).
    *The Ask'kaar species generally stick to the center of their space while their colonies and homeworlds of races they've conqured are targets to pirates.
    *The Ask'kaar like the Federation are having their own problems with the possible return of the Iconions.
    *Naval Ranks are similiar to the Romulans (Commander, Sub Commander, Sub Lieutenant etc)

Ask'kaar Space (Grey blob = Tholian assembly, Pink Blob = Ask'kaar Republic) - rough idea on where they come from.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited February 2013
    When people ask of the Ask'kaar, people simply say; "Dont Ask"! ;)

its more of a case of... punch keyboard "asr'kkertw" ... and you go from there.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Question inspired by banter in this thread... is there anyway to disguise a Spider or Targ as a tribble or mound of tribble?
    nope, Tribbles are interactable objects, not NPCs
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited February 2013
    its more of a case of... punch keyboard "asr'kkertw" ... and you go from there.

THAY SMASH... hmm that worked quite nicley lol

I just did a thread with a galaxy map, I compared the many maps out there already and combined them onto the STO map, it worked quite nicely.

GALAXY MAP

Perhaps your people could originate in a sandwich between the Tholian Assembly and Talarian Space? That would give them a proximity to 6-7 various powers in that part of the Galaxy as well as the unexplored space beyond; towards the Galactic Barrier where they conquered so many primitive races.

Plus it would give the Talarians, a military based society an enemy it is on par with.
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
    edited February 2013

I just did a thread with a galaxy map, I compared the many maps out there already and combined them onto the STO map, it worked quite nicely.

GALAXY MAP

Perhaps your people could originate in a sandwich between the Tholian Assembly and Talarian Space? That would give them a proximity to 6-7 various powers in that part of the Galaxy as well as the unexplored space beyond; towards the Galactic Barrier where they conquered so many primitive races.

Plus it would give the Talarians, a military based society an enemy it is on par with.

http://newpageone.com/images/hugetrekmap.jpg

I was going by that map.. still I suppose I could put them between the Talarians and the Tholians.. always wanted to use the planet Woden :P.. that'll require a bit of editing to the "Dephts of Nukara prime"
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited February 2013
    Which I am looking forward to btw! Good to see a full on Tholian mission set at Nukara. Mine is just a mocked Romulan Story :/

Yeah I saw that map, it follows the show but don't leave room for the novels which STO has rights too. The Tholians are bordered with the Klingons and Federation whilst the Talarians are bordered with the federation yet close to Klingons and Cardassians too.
    It took weeks of trial and error with memory-beta and I had to leave out a few races that were small or conflicting of location :(
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    edited February 2013
    Which I am looking forward to btw! Good to see a full on Tholian mission set at Nukara. Mine is just a mocked Romulan Story :/

Yeah I saw that map, it follows the show but don't leave room for the novels which STO has rights too. The Tholians are bordered with the Klingons and Federation whilst the Talarians are bordered with the federation yet close to Klingons and Cardassians too.
    It took weeks of trial and error with memory-beta and I had to leave out a few races that were small or conflicting of location :(

it'll only be a small edit, nothing to worry about.. just a bit of text on where spoiler came from.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited February 2013

GALAXY MAP

I was wondering about this so I looked at the bits I have from the Star Charts book. It has the Sheliak as living to the galactic west of the Breen, and the Tholians as living sw of the Cardassians. Also, the Son'a are near the Briar Patch.

Yours is pretty good though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited February 2013
    actually I could use the Talarians... maybe a throw my race and them into a war over the Woden system.

wait a sec.. by that map.. it puts me near the galactic barrier?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited February 2013
    actually I could use the Talarians... maybe a throw my race and them into a war over the Woden system.

wait a sec.. by that map.. it puts me near the galactic barrier?
    Oooh... I forgot that earlier.... The Galactic Barrier should be farther out. ~3-4 more sector blocks... I think.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • heissenburgheissenburg Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Unfortunately not. The one is an asset (tribble) and the other and NPC (spider)

Darn... I had a funny idea for a mission in which a Borg sphere was disabled by an infestation of carnivorous tribbles that would then attack the players when one of them got cut on something.

I'm guessing there is no reliable way to make your Bridge officers go missing one by one either is there? I can probably think of a work around.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Before I sign myself up for a faction (Dominion looks good to me), I have a couple questions.

1) Once all spots are filled, will you (darkfrontiers) and the other authors have a get together and develop the storyline from there? Or are we all working in the dark, just building off of the previous author's storyline once it's published?

2) Is there a start date for the mission?

3) Is there a deadline? I'm currently handling two major missions at this point (one for the Foundry Challenge #6, due February something, and one for my personal tastes with a probable sequel). I don't want to stuff in a third mission right now - I could better handle the workload in about June or July.

4) If something comes up in my life that will prevent me from spending time on this mission, will there be an option to back out?

5) I'm sure this was mentioned, but I wasn't clear as to the answer - since we can't have the player's character actually become a different species/race other than KDF or FED, how are we going to cast the player? Third person, watching stuff happen? First person?
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
    edited February 2013
    Judging from what is in the thread already, my guess on the answers is:

1) Dark has said he's putting together a small web forum to use to wiki our missions and discuss events which connect them, but that the story-telling behind the missions is something of a round table. One author presents Episode 1, and the next presents another story referencing those events but from another direction.

Example:

Episode 1: Easy Prey. The klingons behind to expand into unaligned Cardassian sectors which the Federation is not protecting.

Episode 2: Obsidian Shield - The Cardassians send delegates to the Federation asking for them to extend their protection to the besieged areas, promsing to bring the unaligned worlds into an alliance with the Federation.

Episode 3: Untrue way - A Dominion Taskforce is sent through the wormhole to aid the unaligned words against both the klingons and the Federation by fortifying the area with reinforcements.

... However, rather than us planning it ahead of time, the Author of episode 2 simply watches the events in Episode 1 and thinks... this would be the Federation's response, and plans a mission around it. The Author of Episode 3 watches both 1 and 2 and considrs what the Dominion response to these things would be, and so on.

2) Not as yet. We're in the early days of organizing things.

3) Again not as of yet. Dark has self imposed a deadline on himself in that if we want to have anything within this project start we need to wait until his starter mission is done. I think most people here are doing a Foundry Challenge as well. I know that I'm doing it pretty much only so that I can get useful feedback and push myself to finish a mission.

4) I'm pretty sure we all feel that life takes precidents over play. I know later this year I'll be way to busy with my Masters Disertation to right anything for a while. This is afterall a game and a community we're part of.

5) Basically, you use the heros and villains which you created from your faction as the plot points of the mission. Has a dangerous fugative escaped from the Domminion and your hero requires they player's help to track them down? Has a Vorta decided they are unable to stand the insolence of the federation any longer and launched a strike at Bajor? The mission is played from the point of view of the players who are Fed or KDF at your choice, but the mission is themed around your faction and static, recuring characters with in it.

This will be somewhat difficult for me... the Borg do not handle individuality well.
    edited February 2013
    Oooh... I forgot that earlier.... The Galactic Barrier should be farther out. ~3-4 more sector blocks... I think.
    I know, just wanted to put it there to say to people (look at what we 'could' have in the future)... unfortunatly i have approached one of th emost debated topics in ST. :rolleyes:

I edited the opening thread with planned changes ;)
    The main one being the Tholian territory being mainly south of Cardi Space but with tendril shapes out in all directions as they expanded, one of which crosses south of Son'a space (Was Talarian) and onto the Federation - Klingon - Gorn Border, that at the time of the novels could of been Klingon but was partly conquered in the first Gorn-Klingon War just before the Praxis incident....but thats all KDF now TRIBBLE :P

The reason I attacked this topic now was actually for Dark Frontiers, so we have a good idea of where everything is as STO grows and expands :D
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    edited February 2013
    Before I sign myself up for a faction (Dominion looks good to me), I have a couple questions.

1) Once all spots are filled, will you (darkfrontiers) and the other authors have a get together and develop the storyline from there? Or are we all working in the dark, just building off of the previous author's storyline once it's published?

2) Is there a start date for the mission?

3) Is there a deadline? I'm currently handling two major missions at this point (one for the Foundry Challenge #6, due February something, and one for my personal tastes with a probable sequel). I don't want to stuff in a third mission right now - I could better handle the workload in about June or July.

4) If something comes up in my life that will prevent me from spending time on this mission, will there be an option to back out?

5) I'm sure this was mentioned, but I wasn't clear as to the answer - since we can't have the player's character actually become a different species/race other than KDF or FED, how are we going to cast the player? Third person, watching stuff happen? First person?

I will initially develop the Klingon plot where the story line begins. Once I have completed this, this plot is past along to the other faction authors who can decide collectively or independently how their faction responds.

I will be started work on the mission over the weekend so you may need to give me a few weeks to complete. As you know missions take alot of planning. But, I will first pass my plot along before I start, so that the other authors can start their own. During this time, I am sure that there will be alot of collaborative ideas being shared.

There is no deadline. And yes, the author may come back to pick-up the mission progress at his own pace. Its about enjoyment in allowing ones story to feature in a persistent story.

The player will either be a Starfleet officer or a KDF officer that is pulled into the story/ events that surround the faction. The player will not be the faction, merely representative of the story being told about that faction. They are observers.

I hope that answers your questions.
    edited February 2013
    I know, just wanted to put it there to say to people (look at what we 'could' have in the future)... unfortunatly i have approached one of th emost debated topics in ST. :rolleyes:

I edited the opening thread with planned changes ;)
    The main one being the Tholian territory being mainly south of Cardi Space but with tendril shapes out in all directions as they expanded, one of which crosses south of Son'a space (Was Talarian) and onto the Federation - Klingon - Gorn Border, that at the time of the novels could of been Klingon but was partly conquered in the first Gorn-Klingon War just before the Praxis incident....but thats all KDF now TRIBBLE :P

The reason I attacked this topic now was actually for Dark Frontiers, so we have a good idea of where everything is as STO grows and expands :D
    Hehe, I collected a bunch of data a while back because I was thinking about making a Galaxy map for a different game(Space Empires 5). I never did, but I learned a lot from researching the topic.

@DF: I was planning to write the Romulan missions as if you were a Romulan impersonating either Feds or KDF (not sure which yet)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited February 2013
    Hehe, I collected a bunch of data a while back because I was thinking about making a Galaxy map for a different game(Space Empires 5). I never did, but I learned a lot from researching the topic.

@DF: I was planning to write the Romulan missions as if you were a Romulan impersonating either Feds or KDF (not sure which yet)

That could work - keep in mind that that most people like to play their own faction. In a few of my missions for the KDF I had alot of folks complaining that they were not Klingon, but Gorn... etc and that it did not feel right.
    edited February 2013
    That could work - keep in mind that that most people like to play their own faction. In a few of my missions for the KDF I had alot of folks complaining that they were not Klingon, but Gorn... etc and that it did not feel right.
    hehe, well we can't please everyone...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited February 2013
    Anyone in game? @P_Sutherland ... shoot me a pm.. want to run some stuff bu you authers to see if it makes sense.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited February 2013
    Well because I have UFP, it will be played by a UFP member and you lead an investigation that will involve a branch of the UFP... dont wanna spoiler yet but think The Undiscovered Country meets Man On Fire :D

Had a thought for the Borg Faction, why not have it where you play from the perspective of multiple ships, each map is another ship within the collective and your building up a picture of the events in the region as the collective... like a 3rd person view looking in, perhaps assimilate a missing Strike Group that in another mission "went missing along the Cardassian Border" which triggers a war!? :D
    The prob is getting people to imagine their ship is a Borg Cube!? may have to be clever with the Dialogue, you send the intimidating message and you recieve scared Captains or cursing in return!?
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    edited February 2013
    Okay, thanks ricky and darkfrontiers.

You can count me in for the Dominion faction. :)
    edited February 2013
    While that definately sounds fun to work with from the writing side, I'm not sure how well it would work form the player's side of things. The Borg work best applying the rules of the horror genre to them, keeping them in the shadows and lurking just out of reach.

Ground maps where they're suspect of being present and having ground contacts go missing (along with screams if possible) while the player explores the base looking for a malfunction.

Space maps where they're found amidst the debrie field of a lost task force.

Having a story told through the myriad lense of a small borg fleet would be awesome, I'm just not sure the foundry has the tools for that at the moment.

Could work that into a story where the player captures a borg drone and uses the holodeck to retrieve the drone's memories (thus the player is acting out the drone's recent past)... would also work for accessing the collective through the holodeck, seeing into the mind of the borg that way... of course, that sort of tampering would get the player's ship noticed in a hurry.
    edited February 2013
    hehe, well we can't please everyone...

Hell yeah! I gave up trying to do that a long time ago. One person would complain this is wrong ... I change it ... then the next guy complains that is wrong ... LOL A while later I stopped chasing my tail. Now I just please me.
    edited February 2013
    frontiers are you in game atm?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited February 2013
    Just so thank you all, and give you a clue of what my missions going to be about:

Somewhere in the Dorvan Sector...

"General Qeng, we have an urgent communique from the High Council."

"I have no desire for forked tongues this day. The air is sufficiently stifled with the stench of ..."

The viewport flickers, a menacing Klingon glaring down upon the dimly lit bridge of the Klingon battle bridge, "General Qeng!"

"Nugneh! I'm General Qeng, leader of the House of Maang. Captain of the CharghwI'. To what do I owe this interruption."

"War General Qeng! War!", a look of somewhat puzzlement crossing the scarred visage of the legendary commander of Fleet Wing 327.

"HIja'", the silence on the bridge broken only by the steady drum of the powerful warp reactors, "You are to depart the system immediately. Make all haste for the Bajoran system."

"Deep Space Nine! Have the Council lost their minds!"

"No General Qeng. Not the station. We hunt for a much more worthy prize. The Wormhole itself!"
    edited February 2013
    frontiers are you in game atm?

Sorry afraid not - work week :(
    edited February 2013
    Just so thank you all, and give you a clue of what my missions going to be about:

Somewhere in the Dorvan Sector...

"General Qeng, we have an urgent communique from the High Council."

"I have no desire for forked tongues this day. The air is sufficiently stifled with the stench of ..."

The viewport flickers, a menacing Klingon glaring down upon the dimly lit bridge of the Klingon battle bridge, "General Qeng!"

"Nugneh! I'm General Qeng, leader of the House of Maang. Captain of the CharghwI'. To what do I owe this interruption."

"War General Qeng! War!", a look of somewhat puzzlement crossing the scarred visage of the legendary commander of Fleet Wing 327.

"HIja'", the silence on the bridge broken only by the steady drum of the powerful warp reactors, "You are to depart the system immediately. Make all haste for the Bajoran system."

"Deep Space Nine! Have the Council lost their minds!"

"No General Qeng. Not the station. We hunt for a much more worthy prize. The Wormhole itself!"

Sounds good. It'll tie in very nicely with the Dominion forces on the other side of the wormhole.
This discussion has been closed.