test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Graduation Test: Please Submit Your Ideas

gradstudent1gradstudent1 Member Posts: 633 Arc User
edited March 2013 in PvP Boot Camp
Coaches and Players:

As all of you know, the fourth stage in Boot Camp involves an evaluation prior to graduation. We are just over 2 months from graduating our first class. Our next major step, then, is to create some sort of evaluation that will test (1) knowledge and (2) skill on the battlefield. I am opening this thread to solicit ideas from students and coaches alike. Thanks in advance for sharing your ideas!
Post edited by gradstudent1 on

Comments

• drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This is just my suggesting, and I know it would probably not be feasible.

Stage 1: Information gathering.

I would suggest that students get given the opportunity of sharing their intended play style i.e. what role are they trying to fulfil given their ship/ equipment/ build.

Stage 2: "Learner's License"
    Matches could then be arranged on a coach vs player based, and the coach can evaluate the player. For a coach to try and do this in a team could be very difficult.

Stage 3: Tweek
    Coaches would then compile feedback to the student.

Stage 4: "Pre-Exam"
    Students vs Student Match

Stage 5: Exam
    Mini-Boot Camp Tourny

Stage 6: Prize-giving Gala
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would stick to the basics of using what has been covered in the three previous classes.

Rebalancing shields, cross healing, communication, and non-rainbow builds. Graduating is a sign that you successfully use these basic skills.

Feedback on how to improve team play and so on, should remain the icing on the cake, imv.

A student's tourny would be nice, but I would keep it separate from the final boot-camp session. We could run a student's only boot camp tourny parallel to the next round of boot camp. With a few coaches as observers. While most coaches teach tackle the curriculum with a new round of students.

We should have some romulan brew, Dabo, orion danceer party with the coaches, and hit the queues flying as irresponsibly as possible.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Not a student, ect (wrong timeslots for me/my times online are never truely set in stone, blah, blah) but a simple test would be to survive a surprise decloaking turret/dhc alpha strike from a bop (or for sadists, a masked bug) in middle of another 'test' as if you can survive that, you can survive anything on the battlefield sto can throw at you (or even mix it up by using multiple hidden opponents to force use of cross heals)
  • dova25dova25 Member Posts: 475
    edited February 2013
    Anything that will be done I think it should be evaluated using same metric

Everybody if put to test should have at least same shield/engine/deflector/weapons otherwise this "skill" test will become who has better gear.

Anyway 90% of pvp is gear/ship/console quality only 10% is skill
    "There already is a Borg faction, its called the Federation. They assimilate everyone else's technology and remove any biological or technical distinctiveness and add it to their own."
    I refuse to be content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
  • aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Russian Roulette.

Slap a Klingon Disruptor pistol on the table.

The lucky ones get their title & their respec token.

The un-lucky ones are just, unlucky.

^______^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • gradstudent1gradstudent1 Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Havam's Humourous QUote: "We should have some romulan brew, Dabo, orion danceer party with the coaches, and hit the queues flying as irresponsibly as possible. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]"

I will be there as the designated driver, to take Havam back to New Romulus once he has finishes crashing his ship into the cracked planetoid over and over again. Sorry Havam, you can't use ramming speed on planets :)
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Havam's Humourous QUote: "We should have some romulan brew, Dabo, orion danceer party with the coaches, and hit the queues flying as irresponsibly as possible. [/COLOR]

I will be there as the designated driver, to take Havam back to New Romulus once he has finishes crashing his ship into the cracked planetoid over and over again. Sorry Havam, you can't use ramming speed on planets :)

LOL - seconded.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    "Sir, they are bombarding us from orbit!"

"Relax Ensign. Its just Have trying to land after another night of partying and Puging"

"Sir? Then who is that other vessel just flying in circles shooting at everything?"

"Roach. Asleep again at the helm with his finger on the trigger or awake thinking the button labeled FIRE adds more kick to his bloodwine everytime he clicks it."
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Is there a way to do a "quiz" on a website as part of the test? Maybe 15 questions total- 5 from each of the pervious lessons, open note (ie they can have the Hilbert guide on hand if needed) and the after the quiz a live fire exercise?
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
    edited February 2013
    maicake716 wrote: »
    Is there a way to do a "quiz" on a website as part of the test? Maybe 15 questions total- 5 from each of the pervious lessons, open note (ie they can have the Hilbert guide on hand if needed) and the after the quiz a live fire exercise?

Yeah, we can do this via surveymonkey I think. Not a bad idea, mai kai .
    edited February 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    "Sir, they are bombarding us from orbit!"

"Relax Ensign. Its just Have trying to land after another night of partying and Puging"

"Sir? Then who is that other vessel just flying in circles shooting at everything?"

"Roach. Asleep again at the helm with his finger on the trigger or awake thinking the button labeled FIRE adds more kick to his bloodwine everytime he clicks it."

I trust this is from one of the glorious episodes of Gates of Stovokor! Qapla!
  • bronbron Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Can I ask a question please? Would we be required to respec/regear/etc for the graduation test or fight as is? I had kinda hoped to do that after the bootcamp with the token given out. This way we don't end up having to respec a second time in case we find out the build planned for after doesn't really work. My ship is quite capable 1v1 as is, but is very vulnerable to stuns and disables (Honestly who isn't?) so I can easily fail if Emoe sics his character Mini on all of us. I would have better chances after a respec, but just worried the test would be a little extreme for my current setup.

I worked out a skill build with Sargon by email, but was going to wait until after to respec into it. Lately I've just been working on getting the gear and it's going slooooow.
    Proud Pre-Launch CO and Pre-Launch STO Lifetime Subscriber.
  • devorasxdevorasx Member Posts: 693
    edited February 2013
    I would prefer asking questions, like what you would have done in X situation, or how would you defend/attack against X ship, or how to proper equip and use proper BOFF`s etc etc.

I feel that gives me and furthermore us, a proper understanding of what the students has learned and can reconstruct what they have learned into proper practice.
    Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
    edited February 2013
    bron wrote: »
    Can I ask a question please? Would we be required to respec/regear/etc for the graduation test or fight as is? I had kinda hoped to do that after the bootcamp with the token given out. This way we don't end up having to respec a second time in case we find out the build planned for after doesn't really work. My ship is quite capable 1v1 as is, but is very vulnerable to stuns and disables (Honestly who isn't?) so I can easily fail if Emoe sics his character Mini on all of us. I would have better chances after a respec, but just worried the test would be a little extreme for my current setup.

I worked out a skill build with Sargon by email, but was going to wait until after to respec into it. Lately I've just been working on getting the gear and it's going slooooow.

You are not required to respec for the test. You will receive a respec token as part of graduation, but you don't need to do a full respec in order to graduation. Cheers, Bron!
  • thegrimcorsairthegrimcorsair Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Some sort of field test would probably be ideal. If nothing else, it gets the body, the arms, and legs used to moving together in a way that, hopefully, doesn't end with repeated slapstick comedy.

Hell if I know how to organize it, though. Just a way to show the healers, debuffers, and damage dealers what it's like to work together against another group of players that's similarly working together.
    If you feel Keel'el's effect is well designed, please, for your own safety, be very careful around shallow pools of water.
  • naz4naz4 Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    To say the truth, i don't want to turn people away from PvP, so the tests if necessary at all have to be fun and not feel like a test at all.

The idea of questions is a bit pointless as you might be able to give all the right answers but practicly not do a bean.

It should be done in such a manner that the students don't feel the mental burden of being put under test conditions. I know I wouldn't want to be tested on something I play for enjoyment.

Before ideas are put forward, please keep in mind what the spirit of boot camp is about. Growing interest in PvP with the rest of the STO community.

I personally wouldn't even have "tests". Why can't we leave it at those who attended all x classes get the reward?
  • bronbron Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ok thank you Sargon. I sent you a friend request ingame and it's been sitting there for like a week. :(
    Proud Pre-Launch CO and Pre-Launch STO Lifetime Subscriber.
  • webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Maybe the Graduation test should just simply be a series of 5v5 Matches:

5 Grads vs 5 Professors.
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    webdeath wrote: »
    Maybe the Graduation test should just simply be a series of 5v5 Matches:

5 Grads vs 5 Professors.

Building on this idea, what about 4 students and 1 prof vs 4 students and 1 prof? The prof marks the opposing 4 students on their respected gameplay. The prof also takes a back seat in the match and follows the nominated team leader.

This way its not a face roll and its fun for everyone.
    edited February 2013

juszzt lemmeee take the right one, its been home to vulcans i can smell it.

but yeah an online quiz would make checking for handles easy.
    I m with naz coaches in the back, and go easy on the testing. I don't want people to get test anxieties or me to control for cheaters. Its a game, i do the other stuff in RL.
    edited February 2013
    havam wrote: »
    juszzt lemmeee take the right one, its been home to vulcans i can smell it.

but yeah an online quiz would make checking for handles easy.
    I m with naz coaches in the back, and go easy on the testing. I don't want people to get test anxieties or me to control for cheaters. Its a game, i do the other stuff in RL.

Agreed. This needs to be a low anxiety situation.
    edited February 2013
    naz4 wrote: »
    To say the truth, i don't want to turn people away from PvP, so the tests if necessary at all have to be fun and not feel like a test at all.

The idea of questions is a bit pointless as you might be able to give all the right answers but practicly not do a bean.

It should be done in such a manner that the students don't feel the mental burden of being put under test conditions. I know I wouldn't want to be tested on something I play for enjoyment.

Before ideas are put forward, please keep in mind what the spirit of boot camp is about. Growing interest in PvP with the rest of the STO community.

I personally wouldn't even have "tests". Why can't we leave it at those who attended all x classes get the reward?

These are good points, Naz. I wonder if we might re-frame the testing element as an evaluation with personal feedback from coaches. What I mean is that our students could be put into a combat scenario, which the coach would then observe (perhaps even a 1 v 1). The coach would then provide the student with "next steps" to help him/her achieve her next level of ability in PvP. What do you think about this? I am just thinking out loud a bit, but I share your concerns for sure, Naz, and like how you are thinking about these things.

We have a coahces meeting this Saturday, when I would like to discuss this further.
    edited February 2013
    These are good points, Naz. I wonder if we might re-frame the testing element as an evaluation with personal feedback from coaches. What I mean is that our students could be put into a combat scenario, which the coach would then observe (perhaps even a 1 v 1). The coach would then provide the student with "next steps" to help him/her achieve her next level of ability in PvP. What do you think about this? I am just thinking out loud a bit, but I share your concerns for sure, Naz, and like how you are thinking about these things.

We have a coahces meeting this Saturday, when I would like to discuss this further.

I like the idea of scrapping the test element. 1v1 would go against the whole message that PvP is a team sport that we have been singing for the last couple of session.

minimum of 3v3 with feedback from observer coaches and co-coaches. We'll go into the basics of teamplay in session 3. Personally, i view session 4 as an opportunity to not do much talking, have some matches, where the basics (redistribute etc) have been covered, and the class as a whole can evaluate each others performances.

Ideally, everybody had enough time to practice and implement our feedback. This is the time to have some fun, and learn something on the side.
    edited February 2013
    I like the idea of scrapping the test element. 1v1 would go against the whole message that PvP is a team sport that we have been singing for the last couple of session.

minimum of 3v3 with feedback from observer coaches and co-coaches. We'll go into the basics of teamplay in session 3. Personally, i view session 4 as an opportunity to not do much talking, have some matches, where the basics (redistribute etc) have been covered, and the class as a whole can evaluate each others performances.

Ideally, everybody had enough time to practice and implement our feedback. This is the time to have some fun, and learn something on the side.

You're right, Havam. I think 3 v 3 would be better, in part because I don't want the coaches to have too many students to watch, which would no doubt be the case in a 5 v 5. In any case, we will discuss this a bit more on Saturday when we have the coaches meeting. I hope the two of you are able to make it, so that you can share your insights.
  • pokersmith1pokersmith1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    How about a quiz as well as a match? The match cud be a 3v3. Each team will be made of a tac, an engi and a sci. That way, all concerned careers would be able to put in test what they learned in bootcamps. And each match could include coach observers on both sides who would be taking note of what the students did right and what they did not. Does this sound like a proper procedure for evaluation?
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
  • thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Create a match of any size, with only the students on one side being tested.. Doesn't need to be students only, that would be punitive. It just needs to be understood by the test administrators that only the students on that side are being tested.

On the opposite side, in amongst the rest of the crew, you put Mini.

Anyone he pops, fails. Anyone he can't pop, passes.

Why? Because if you're heads up enough to see that coming AND take steps to protect yourself I'd say you're all good.

Anyone can answer a test question. Not everyone can put the knowledge to use in the brief window of time an alpha strike gives you.

Cheers and happy flying!

And yes I'm totally serious.
  • livinrtblivinrtb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

I like this idea a coach and assistant coach would take 4 students at a time and do 3v3 to 5pts. Each coach could take 2 students per team, it should allow for a slow paced match. Different scenarios could be tested, like how to clear a sub-nuke or a VM or how to successfully Alpha strike a target. The coaches could then grade their students to pass the test, if any of the students have problems they could be setup for a tutor session for completion.
    edited February 2013

This definitely sounds like a good basis to work from - They will get more out of it in the long run.
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm taking part in the ground portion, and not space but I wanted to add some ideas to the thread anyway.

naz4 wrote: »

I think naz makes some good points here.

I wonder if we might re-frame the testing element as an evaluation with personal feedback from coaches.

I think one of the other suggestions was a very good idea.

> 1 Coach & 4 Students vs. 1 Coach & 4 Students

> Coaches take a back seat and evaluate.

> Coaches provide feedback to students on the team's performance, and can provide 1 on 1 feedback with individual students if this makes sense from a time perspective.

Something that might be useful for students, but not necessarily a part of a test or for graduation might be a set of self-evaluation questions for them to consider: 'What are my current strengths in PvP?", "What areas do I need to work on?", etc.
  • brokenmirror2012brokenmirror2012 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My idea. Each coach gets to administer a test, thru PMs or Google Docs. (Google docs will let them put their name in it)

Like every other written test sugjestion.

But the practical test should NOT be a 1v1. Maybe even have the coach figure out balance, and have the 2 teams balanced so 5 Students + coach vrs 5 Students+coach. Because PvP is about teamwork. Can the Students Organize their team to victory. The coach WONT Help organization, all coachs just do whatthe last thing said in chat was. if X says "Attack Minimax" Then Y says "attack Sargon" Right after, the coach will go after sargon. let the team figure out how to coordinate. Pvp is all about coordination. Hey sure u can do a 1v1, but can u listen to directions?

Just my imput.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]