Install Arc

DStahl: We are redoing our Character Creator for May - almost completely remade

centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
What does that mean? :confused::confused::confused:
Post edited by centersolace on

Comments

• cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Maybe the new faction put too much strain on the old system?
  • wmcarsonwmcarson Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    To be fair i'm shooting from the hip here since I've haven't digested all the new info for upcoming STO content/systems/etc...

But I remember some time back (ask cryptic maybe?) that D. Stahl had alluded to a revamp of the trait system. That would pretty much require a redo of the character creator.

Still, if anything else changes it would be ironic given that everything I've read and heard indicates STO's actual character creation system is one of the best in the MMO industry...and it is one of my favorite parts of the game....so lets hope for the best lol.
    |William@wmcarson|Starfleet Reserve|www.StarfleetReserve.com
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    wmcarson wrote: »
    But I remember some time back (ask cryptic maybe?) that D. Stahl had alluded to a revamp of the trait system. That would pretty much require a redo of the character creator.

Still, if anything else changes it would be ironic given that everything I've read and heard indicates STO's actual character creation system is one of the best in the MMO industry...and it is one of my favorite parts of the game....so lets hope for the best lol.

DStahl mentioned that the current character models are going to still be a part of it, so they themselves might not be changing much. It might not even have anything to do with the character models, and it's just a UI organizational thing. Or we might be getting a crapton more sliders. So....

....who knows.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    wmcarson wrote: »

That'd be nice.

If you can handle the cartoony character models, Champions Online has one that puts STO's to shame. Even for the freebies. The main problem is that you need to be of a certain level to get full access.

Then again, CO doesn't have starships... yet.
    <3
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Always makes me nervous when they talk about totally redesigning something. tends to make thing extremely buggy.

on the surface this does not sound like something that needs doing, but we are limited in how and what we can customize, as not everything works with everything else. if this is an attempt to give more freedom, mix and match off duty, on duty, stf gear then it could be fun but it wont be without bumps.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Purely speculation, but I'm guessing they'll implement new technology the Neverwinter team developed while working on the game, and then sending it over to the STO people to port it to the game.

It might include the new hair technology that was mentioned a long time ago.

With all the new uniforms and accessories it might even be feasible they're redoing the way the uniform options show up -- after all I doubt they foresaw all these things they'd end up adding to the character generator.

Almost assuredly there'll be a different trait system that would work in tandem with the re-trait system they're wanting to put in in Season 8.

I'm betting it'll be less buggy (or more buggy depending on how bad they TRIBBLE it up).
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well lets face it...

The engine used by is getting old and so is the UI... Sure there was a ton of things you could do compared to other games when it was released, but it's starting to not be so great anymore.

If STO/Champs/Neverwinter is to be a serious competitor with other games, it needs to stay ahead, or at least on par with modern games.

Every now and then, that means ripping out an old system and reworking it entirely. Adding new features, more functions and even optimize old ones.

This is probably what is happening here.

If we are lucky, we might even be able to add birthmarks (Over the top, I know, but you get the point).
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I do think they need to expand the traits somewhat. The KDF basically have one default available race (Letheans) that can come with a space trait (efficient), and not surprisingly BOFFs with that trait are usually priced way up.

Maybe changing and expanding it so each species has three space, and three ground. Or something. Must say it's not like I've worked it all out myself, but it does seem like that could be expanded.

I'm fine with the game graphically, other than wanting more options in some cases.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think it'll just be a new interface on how we change our characters appearence etc.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    <hope>Could be that the system doesnt quite have the space to accommodate a Romulan selection. </hope>

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Always makes me nervous when they talk about totally redesigning something. tends to make thing extremely buggy.

That's because they never test anything! :P
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The one thing I am hoping for is the ability to LOCK each customization option so that if you hit RANDOM the LOCKED settings are not randomized. As is in Champions and other games.
  • denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Something I figure must be involved in the revamp is organizing sliders. For noses we have height, width, length, and nose bridge equivalents, plus nostril controls. I imagine they'd at least put these together in a tab of sorts.

I could see them 'linking' some sliders for simplicity(much like Gorn just have 'bulk' and 'physique' instead of individual bulk and stomach sliders). But I'd hope that they don't limit the range of options, especially for aliens. I know I'd get to keep my custom aliens, but I'd hate to not be able to make a member of the same species without outright copying the exact costume. It just wouldn't be possible when crossing factions or genders.
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    In my opinion, the one thing Cryptic was always awesome on was customization. It worked in COH, CO, STO, and i'm hoping NW has a great one as well, but in my opinion it could definitely use some touching up, especially over on CO. I even had a thread started to petition it but as far as i know it got buried and i couldn't find it.

the new system will hopefully put the current one to shame though as well as adding a LOT of new traits. Especially with how outdated the current ones are, which are the same since launch, no? Now would be a great time to add more special races like romulans, androids, photonic life forms, and possibly augments.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I hope we see more mixable options with the changes. I want to be ablet o mix off duty and duty uniforms, MACO outfits, etc. I espeically want to use different rank styles on uniforms that they don't currently work on. Relativity ranks for exxample would look awesome on so many other uniforms like the AGT or even TNG, ENT, and so on.
    edited February 2013
    All caps for my geeky emphasis;

GET RID OF THE BOOB SOCKS.

It's okay on the Seven costume because it was designed that way in the show. But the regular uniform didn't have boob socks. Not even Troi and T'pol... Two characters created solely for their TRIBBLE... didn't have boob socks.

It makes it look like the devs have never seen a woman outside of TRIBBLE. And it might go a long way to fixing the communicator clipping issues and Centersolace can finally see his WoK badge.
    <3
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Maybe it is adding the undershirt option for female open tops.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well, that could explain why many of the tailor bugs have gone un-addressed. They're just rebuilding the whole damn thing. :rolleyes:
  • nalonalo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This has me all twisted cant wait :)
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I suppose it's a long shot to hope for more ship customisation to come in with this. My starship is a character too! :D
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    Well, that could explain why many of the tailor bugs have gone un-addressed. They're just rebuilding the whole damn thing. :rolleyes:

Certainly does doesn't it? :P

I hope it means better hair and the lovely outfits in my sig. ;)
  • alarikunalarikun Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jcsww wrote: »
    That's because they never test anything! :P

Come now, they're not Bethesda!
    Original Join Date: January 2010
    Original Name: -Gen-Alaris
    Days Subscribed: 1211 (As of May 26, 2013)
    edited February 2013
    If they don't have all the trek hairdo's named after their characters I will be sorely disappointed.
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,630 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What does that mean? :confused::confused::confused:

I sure hope it doesn't mean what happened to the start-up creator over at Champions Online...

Apparently the bean counters had some survey information that said the character creator was too time consuming for new players so they "streamlined" it by basically removing almost all options. http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=205071

Yeah...way to show off one of the best features in either CO or STO...by hiding it from new customers. :rolleyes:
    edited February 2013
    alarikun wrote: »
    Come now, they're not Bethesda!

Burnsauce!

BTW: Kudos on the Tactics avatar. That game rocked all the bells.
    <3
  • datatimebombdatatimebomb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sounds interesting
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I do think they need to expand the traits somewhat. The KDF basically have one default available race (Letheans) that can come with a space trait (efficient), and not surprisingly BOFFs with that trait are usually priced way up.

And I don't use Letheans on my KDF main because he is distrustful of telepaths.

I think Gorn Boffs should have efficient or a mild version of warp theorist as an available trait. And the Nausicaan Pirate trait should be a space attribute.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    cidstorm wrote: »
    If they don't have all the trek hairdo's named after their characters I will be sorely disappointed.

So, the "High Forehead Short" hairstyle should be called the "Worf Bouffant?" "Beard - Goatee" becomes "Mirror Spock?"

Sorry, no.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
    edited February 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    So, the "High Forehead Short" hairstyle should be called the "Worf Bouffant?" "Beard - Goatee" becomes "Mirror Spock?"

Sorry, no.

I bet you're real fun at parties.
  • boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sander233 wrote: »

Sorry, no.

No, not "Mirror Spock." Just call it what it is: "The Beard of Evil"

From the TV Tropes website:

The Mirror Universe of Star Trek more or less gave us the cliche of the Evil Twin with a Beard of Evil, as evil Mr. Spock has a goatee. Ironically, Evil Mr. Spock is far and away the least evil person in the mirror universe.

You give me character creator choices between "Beard - Spock" or "Beard - Evil" and "Beard - Evil" wins every time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.