test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"We have 40+ employees....".......doing what exactly?

123457»

Comments

• leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    80 bucks > Free?

Also, the use of the word slave is inaccurate. Sweatshop worker is far more accurate. Currently, the foundry folks who are doing all this work for free are far more akin to a slave than one who would get paid a low wage for doing the same work.

It would only be better if participation is voluntary and limited participation doesn't cut you out of more participation later.

Though, frankly, I'd imagine that $1000 per mission would still be a substantial cost savings for Cryptic if the mission provided close to the equivalent value for Cryptic that an official mission did.

So if we're talking this game again, I really couldn't see less than $500: it needs to be, effectively, a low end living wage in a low cost of income area and it needs to be presented by Cryptic in such a way that players don't even know it's a Foundry mission, which also means placing content standards beyond what you normally see in a Foundry mission. There are certain tricks Foundry authors use that players should never see and, in particular, it has to be designed with the assumption that a team of 5 live players is playing it and none of the tricks are visible to any of the 5 players, regardless of where they are on the map.

I've written at length about this before. It's something Foundry authors tend to throw out the window but if you had a Foundry author or two designing official missions that will be dressed up to show up in the official tab, they need to be written so that no weird tricks can be seen by 5 live players regardless of whether they're where they should be, nobody can be trapped behind a wall even if 5 players are scattered around the map in unexpected places, etc.

It's not sharing your homebaked cookies at the fair if Cryptic did this. It is learning how to be a professional chef and embracing the added limitations and frustrations that go with that.

I'd do it for $500 a week, primarily because of where I live. But $80 is a pat on the head and a thank you, not a professional payrate for doing detail oriented professional work.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Getting paid in Zen would work. Heh.

If it's an option? Sure. Why not?

If it has mandatory participation and detailed rules beyond just using the Foundry, it needs to be an offsite job position/distance internship/etc.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If it's an option? Sure. Why not?

I agree. I'm not against the idea. At all. I'm in favor of improvements to the game that promote playing an RPG over resource gathering for the gameplay experience. So it's not me you're trying to convince here I don't think. It's the person I was originally replying to who likened 80 bucks to slave labor (though I stand by my assessment that it's more sweatshop labor than slave labor)?

The details can certainly change. Make it zen. Make it whatever. I'm fine with that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • musicformoviesmusicformovies Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    captsol wrote: »
    Most of them are working on Neverwinter Nights.

That's nice - how about some actual content for STO - like Missions - the special quest is nice, but I want FE back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    That's nice - how about some actual content for STO - like Missions - the special quest is nice, but I want FE back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Don't believe the misinformation; there are 40+ people working on STO. However, that increase to the dev team is fairly recent, it took time to bring them up to speed, and there's a significant lead time on new development. The fruits of the largest increases are what we should begin seeing soon; that's when we'll know if they've increased the team in a way that will give us substantive improvements, or not.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They should not make any changes based upon anyone's posts in this specific thread. What they should do is realize that they have allowed a rude minority of people cause them to completely change the way they communicate with the well behaved majority of their community. And by allowing a vocal minority of people force them to change their policies, they have made themselves their slaves.
    One change in policy makes them their slaves? Isn't that a bit... illogical?

I'd understand that POV if they repeatedly did so, but once, really? And then there's the whole 'trying to avoid abuse' angle I said earlier, which I feel makes their actions completely reasonable, even if it hasn't had the desired effect.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • darren0kitlordarren0kitlor Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    me wrote:
    Whah! It was 40 for everyone, not STO!

Nope. Branflakes and DStahl said that's only for STO.

I enjoyed being wrong today. :)

40 Devs, imo, says it's possible that they beefed up KDF and Romulan as part of soft relaunch and major expansion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wirtddwirtdd Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    40 Devs, imo, says it's possible that they beefed up KDF and Romulan as part of soft relaunch and major expansion.

40 ain't that many:
    30: New lock boxes.
    8: Fixing typos and misspellings in tooltips.
    1: Fixing bugs.
    1: New content.
    :rolleyes:
    jk... and it's funny because it's true :rolleyes:
    Again, jk.
    Bastet
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2013
    wirtdd wrote: »
    40 ain't that many:
    30: New lock boxes.
    8: Fixing typos and misspellings in tooltips.
    1: Fixing bugs.
    1: New content.
    :rolleyes:
    jk... and it's funny because it's true :rolleyes:
    Again, jk.

:::singsong::: And a Tribble in a Maintenance Duct :::singsong:::
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • orikleinoriklein Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    :::singsong::: And a Tribble in a Maintenance Duct :::singsong:::

ROFL. Wise tribble indeed. Hiding in the maintenance duct where the Tholians leave it alone.

That's that Christmas song that was copied after the Jewish PassOver, right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    i don't want to be *that guy*... but someone has to be...

*points at latest patchnotes*

4 lines

Balloon size nerf
    2 new obsolete Buttons for the Event
    and more copies of Q at the academies

not one actual bug fix, no nothing that matters, only some minor *current event*-tweaking.

still not feeling it bro
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Eh if the teams start getting the missing parts of the game in like KDF content, making the special iconic ships like defiant, retrofit b're/enhanced battle cloak, melee weapons, customizable kits, etc rolling on out then I would have nothing left to really want besides whatever they come out with. I just want to see them make this game feel more star trek... the lockboxes I know they gotta eat and pay the rent and stuff but when I play my characters I want to feel the immersion of Star Trek others can do as they wish but if its growing I want this to feel more like Star Trek.
  • foxfire2000foxfire2000 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    At the end of the day you cant really fully blame Cryptic/PW for taking the easy route and allowing the game to limp along, if the majority of the playerbase are happy buying lockboxes and the increased constant grind has not stopped them doing that, then why should Cryptic/PW change course.

The needs of the many and all that................those of us that expected more will just have to do what we have been doing since we played all the present missions do death all those many moons ago...........log in now and again in the hope some actual new content other than repeated grind has been made.

We can only live in hope....anyway back to GW2. :)
  • theultimatextheultimatex Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Cryptic sounds like the company I now work for, and a lot can get done with around 40 people. Trust me.