test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Trek Questions you're too embarrassed to ask ;)

captnurntumbercaptnurntumber Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Ten Forward
(I'm joshing for fun here, so no one has to go one a long rant about anything said. )

The thread about ideas for a new Star Trek series had of late become more about what is canon or not. But there are some things that are canon that need more explanation. Like:
  1. Romulan ale. Its illegal in the Federation, right? But as we've seen in the shows, Starfleet officers seem to be able to get it anyway. But why is it illegal? Alcohol isn't illegal in the Federation, even though they have synthehol. (synthehol is for lightweights!) Even if its illegal for Romulan brewers to sell it to the Feds, that doesn't make it illegal for the Feds unless its a FEDERATION law that its banned. Besides, couldn't an average fed citizen just go home and have his personal replicator make it anyway? (fighting urge to not go on my rant about replicators...maybe another time) Is there a total ban on trade with the romulans in that time period (Kirk through Picard)? If not wouldn't a savvy shipping business import it? seems silly to turn away a profitable business venture. If it were me, I'd be all like "Come to Star Enterprises Imports! The sole importer of T'Lek's bonafide Romulan Ale! Its great for Oktoberfest parties!" (and we know they have Oktoberfest, since Sisko and Cal Hudson remarked on going to one at "New Berlin" in the early DS9 episodes.
  2. Tribbles hate klingons. But they like Vulcans. But do they like Romulans?
  3. Vulcan is a hot planet, as we've seen in the series. (though, it can't be all desert). I think Spock once said in an old episode how he found the Enterprise to always be a little colder than what he's comfortable in...and he's half human). So wouldn't vulcans serving in Starfleet.,...which we can easily see have more humans than nonhumans on their ships...(maybe humans are the "tribbles" of humanoid species in the Trekverse, breeding prodigously) find starships uncomfortable? They evolved on a planet that is by our terms, pretty hot and arid. By the same token Andorians come from a frozen planet. Wouldn't they find temperatures unbearable at say 80 or more degrees farenheit? Here in Fayetteville, NC it can get downright stupid hot a few weeks of the summer. I'd love to invite an Andorian (if they were real) to one of my BBQs. "Hey Shran, you want another burger...oh, daggone it, he passed out again.".
  4. What exactly is klingon bloodwine made of? Does it have blood in it?
  5. I can honestly say I would shareDoctor McCoy's reservations about the Transporter. Wouldn't you?
Post edited by captnurntumber on

Comments

• Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    1. Romulan ale is only illegal because of a trade embargo against the Romulan Empire. During the brief truce during the Dominion War, it was actually legal in the Federation.

2. The relationship between Tribbles and Romulans is complicated.

3. You think Fayetteville is hot? Try Texas! lol. Buddy of mine moved from here in Texas to Charlotte last year and was amazed at how much more bearable the summers were.

4. The first glass of bloodwine was made from slaughtered Hurq. These days they just throw in some tomato juice and call it good.

5. Most definitely. Is that person stepping out on the other end of this thing really me?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    1) See collegepark's post.

2) I don't see why tribbles wouldn't like Vulcans and Romulans.

3) Vulcans are pretty resiliant. While they may be slightly uncomfortable in cooler temperatures, they should be able to adapt fine. They seem to be fine with 1G gravity as well.

4) It's probably just your normal alcoholic beverage. They call it bloodwine because it sounds cooler.

5) Absolutely.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    sparklysoldiersparklysoldier Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    (I'm joshing for fun here, so no one has to go one a long rant about anything said. )

In that spirit... ;)
    Romulan ale. Its illegal in the Federation, right? But as we've seen in the shows, Starfleet officers seem to be able to get it anyway. But why is it illegal? Alcohol isn't illegal in the Federation, even though they have synthehol. (synthehol is for lightweights!) Even if its illegal for Romulan brewers to sell it to the Feds, that doesn't make it illegal for the Feds unless its a FEDERATION law that its banned. Besides, couldn't an average fed citizen just go home and have his personal replicator make it anyway? (fighting urge to not go on my rant about replicators...maybe another time) Is there a total ban on trade with the romulans in that time period (Kirk through Picard)? If not wouldn't a savvy shipping business import it? seems silly to turn away a profitable business venture. If it were me, I'd be all like "Come to Star Enterprises Imports! The sole importer of T'Lek's bonafide Romulan Ale! Its great for Oktoberfest parties!" (and we know they have Oktoberfest, since Sisko and Cal Hudson remarked on going to one at "New Berlin" in the early DS9 episodes.

It was banned after the entire graduating class of 2153 got drunk on Romulan Ale and disastrously tried to perform a Kolvoord Starburst with over 500 ships. That whole thing about a Xindi weapon blowing up Florida was a cover story.
    Tribbles hate klingons. But they like Vulcans. But do they like Romulans?

No, but the angry, warlike Tribble Empire that broke away from the peaceful Tribbles hundreds of years ago do.
    Vulcan is a hot planet, as we've seen in the series. (though, it can't be all desert). I think Spock once said in an old episode how he found the Enterprise to always be a little colder than what he's comfortable in...and he's half human). So wouldn't vulcans serving in Starfleet.,...which we can easily see have more humans than nonhumans on their ships...(maybe humans are the "tribbles" of humanoid species in the Trekverse, breeding prodigously) find starships uncomfortable? They evolved on a planet that is by our terms, pretty hot and arid. By the same token Andorians come from a frozen planet. Wouldn't they find temperatures unbearable at say 80 or more degrees farenheit? Here in Fayetteville, NC it can get downright stupid hot a few weeks of the summer. I'd love to invite an Andorian (if they were real) to one of my BBQs. "Hey Shran, you want another burger...oh, daggone it, he passed out again.".

In an evolutionary twist that's stumped Federation exobiologists, it turns out that neither the Vulcans nor the Andorians ever really adapted to their climates. The Vulcans were always just miserably hot and the Andorians were freezing cold. Most of the wars the Federation's fought have been because other planets were jealous of Earth getting all the good weather.
    What exactly is klingon bloodwine made of? Does it have blood in it?

The Klingons had trouble competing with Romulan Ale before they found their niche with vampire drinkers.
    I can honestly say I would shareDoctor McCoy's reservations about the Transporter. Wouldn't you?

Just be sure to write a will leaving everything to yourself before transport and you'll be fine. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    In that spirit... ;)

It was banned after the entire graduating class of 2153 got drunk on Romulan Ale and disastrously tried to perform a Kolvoord Starburst with over 500 ships. That whole thing about a Xindi weapon blowing up Florida was a cover story.

No, but the angry, warlike Tribble Empire that broke away from the peaceful Tribbles hundreds of years ago do.

In an evolutionary twist that's stumped Federation exobiologists, it turns out that neither the Vulcans nor the Andorians ever really adapted to their climates. The Vulcans were always just miserably hot and the Andorians were freezing cold. Most of the wars the Federation's fought have been because other planets were jealous of Earth getting all the good weather.

The Klingons had trouble competing with Romulan Ale before they found their niche with vampire drinkers.

Just be sure to write a will leaving everything to yourself before transport and you'll be fine. :)

LMAO! Dude, you win the thread!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Hey we can keep going! Especially since sparklysoldier's post was hilarious....

6. TOS had a lot of interesting places that were never visited again....2 of which come to mind...The planet where "Plato's Stepchildren" took place and the planet of the Guardian of Forever. Considering that both places are probably dangerous locations to let the general public know of, not to mention your enemies, I always wondered about what Starfleet did about 'em. The Plato people supposedly live a looooong time and Captain Kirk even asserted that they'd go back to being d-bags as soon as the Enterprise left. So did they just leave or did they leave warning buoys around the system that said "Warning: Incredible ****heads live here. Don't approach" or even fake out ones like " WARNING: The planetary system is filled with Super Duper SPace Plague. Even scanning it can infect you." As for the Guardian....well, if I were in charge of Starfleet I'd build the most fortified starbase in the universe there just to make sure the klingons and romulans didn't go there. Of course they didn't and thats why the Guardian appears in the game. (as a kid I always thought the guardian looked like a Glazed donut)

7. why are the Borg stupid? They want to destroy the Federation right? So why not stop attacking them and go after the Klingons first? No offense klingon lovers, but the Borg could probably steamroll them. Because the Klingons would probably send wave after wave of warriors to be killed or assimilated. Sure, the klingons might actually drive them off but they darn sure wouldn't look for a scientific way of doing it. They're more likely to just just try to bat'leth them to death. (Thats why I didn't say Romulans or Cardassians. The Romulans would probably outthink them, and the cardassians would swallow their pride and ask for help from the feds if the borg really went after them. )

8. When the planet Risa was first mentioned in TNG I thought it was a planet that the Federation had colonized and it was so nice that tourism became its primary industry. (fighting urge, once again, to not get into how the "no money" thing is so frackin' stupid....I tend to ignore it just so I can enjoy the show). But according to a DS9 episode, IIRC, Risa has its own indigenous population....and its weather controlled. (another really dumb idea, IMHO. Outside of terraforming a hostile environment, I'd like to think that the feds would not try to trump mother nature...but thats just me). How sucky can that be? Grow up on Risa and take your pick of service industry jobs. Admittedly, it must be a nice place to live, but damn, it seems limited...and fragile since Worf took over the weather control with ONE PADD.

9. OK, I've always imagined that they had something like this....Galactic Standard Time. Because there are 24 hrs in an Earth Day. There are 26 hours in a Bajoran Day. The measurement of time during a day, or even years between planets is a big margin. Even ignoring the complications of FTL space travel it would only make sense. Because 3 PM can't be the same 3 PM everywhere. I'd hate to have an appointment on another planet and find out its at 30 PM. I can't stay up that late, I'm gettin' too old for that. Thats more of a suggestion than a question, I know.

10. If you were in high school when the feds and the klingons were allies would you take a klingon date to the prom? I daggone sure would. First, I know she'd be really good at partying....second, I know she could kick the *** out of anyone messing with me. Besides, none of the vulcan chicks would go out with me. :(
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    6. TOS had a lot of interesting places that were never visited again....2 of which come to mind...The planet where "Plato's Stepchildren" took place and the planet of the Guardian of Forever. Considering that both places are probably dangerous locations to let the general public know of, not to mention your enemies, I always wondered about what Starfleet did about 'em. The Plato people supposedly live a looooong time and Captain Kirk even asserted that they'd go back to being d-bags as soon as the Enterprise left. So did they just leave or did they leave warning buoys around the system that said "Warning: Incredible ****heads live here. Don't approach" or even fake out ones like " WARNING: The planetary system is filled with Super Duper SPace Plague. Even scanning it can infect you." As for the Guardian....well, if I were in charge of Starfleet I'd build the most fortified starbase in the universe there just to make sure the klingons and romulans didn't go there. Of course they didn't and thats why the Guardian appears in the game. (as a kid I always thought the guardian looked like a Glazed donut)

I imagine they'd cover up information about the Guardian rather than quarantine it. Putting a huge starbase in the system would be like building a sign than says "Something awesome is here!" Not sure about the Platon planet, I haven't seen that one yet.

Mmm ... donuts ...
    7. why are the Borg stupid? They want to destroy the Federation right? So why not stop attacking them and go after the Klingons first? No offense klingon lovers, but the Borg could probably steamroll them. Because the Klingons would probably send wave after wave of warriors to be killed or assimilated. Sure, the klingons might actually drive them off but they darn sure wouldn't look for a scientific way of doing it. They're more likely to just just try to bat'leth them to death. (Thats why I didn't say Romulans or Cardassians. The Romulans would probably outthink them, and the cardassians would swallow their pride and ask for help from the feds if the borg really went after them. )

They seem to view the Federation as a greater threat to the Collective. While the Klingons have a tough military, they do - like you said - have a tendancy to go "Klingon SMASH" rather than try to outthink their enemy.
    8. When the planet Risa was first mentioned in TNG I thought it was a planet that the Federation had colonized and it was so nice that tourism became its primary industry. (fighting urge, once again, to not get into how the "no money" thing is so frackin' stupid....I tend to ignore it just so I can enjoy the show). But according to a DS9 episode, IIRC, Risa has its own indigenous population....and its weather controlled. (another really dumb idea, IMHO. Outside of terraforming a hostile environment, I'd like to think that the feds would not try to trump mother nature...but thats just me). How sucky can that be? Grow up on Risa and take your pick of service industry jobs. Admittedly, it must be a nice place to live, but damn, it seems limited...and fragile since Worf took over the weather control with ONE PADD.

I'm sure many Risians choose to pursue careers off-world. Though their culture does seem to revolve entirely around hospitality.
    9. OK, I've always imagined that they had something like this....Galactic Standard Time. Because there are 24 hrs in an Earth Day. There are 26 hours in a Bajoran Day. The measurement of time during a day, or even years between planets is a big margin. Even ignoring the complications of FTL space travel it would only make sense. Because 3 PM can't be the same 3 PM everywhere. I'd hate to have an appointment on another planet and find out its at 30 PM. I can't stay up that late, I'm gettin' too old for that. Thats more of a suggestion than a question, I know.

I believe that's what the stardate system is for.
    10. If you were in high school when the feds and the klingons were allies would you take a klingon date to the prom? I daggone sure would. First, I know she'd be really good at partying....second, I know she could kick the *** out of anyone messing with me. Besides, none of the vulcan chicks would go out with me. :(

I guess. If we seemed to get along.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Specificlly about your reply to number 8. think about how Rom and Nog weren't happy about having to go into Ferengi business. Sure arisa native can look offworld for a career, but it can't be all that easy.
  • Options
    diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Here's a Voyager question. I've been watching the series all the way through for the first time (just starting season 7 now), and I'm wondering, does Seven of Nine actually hold some sort of Starfleet rank once she's made part of the crew? I mean, they give her a badge, but they also gave one to Neelix and Kes. She also seems to order around a lot of the other characters, and if she's a civilian passenger, you'd think a few more of them would have a problem with that. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • Options
    admgreeradmgreer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Here is a Trek question: If someone from our time was teleported into the time of TNG would they not use the holodeck for anything other than.. (rhymes with Gorn)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    1: This is unclear. It was originally banned due to a general trade ban between the UFP and RSE. This stopped during the dominion war. BUT, one of the TNG movies established that it was illegal even after the trade ban was lifted. Why? Um, we don't know. Also, we don't know what is in it. It's apparently not fatal to humans or Klingons, but it seems to affect klingons more strongly than other forms of alcohol.

2: probably. it has something to do with the way klingons smell. Romulans most likely smell more like vulcans than klingons.

3: I don't think it's that big of an issue. besides the feds can probably make uniforms with miniature air conditioners if they want to.

4: Again, we don't know... maybe Targ. It possible the name has more to do with the color anyways.

5: yeah, especially after seeing all of what happened in TNG with it.... It is useful though.

6: actually... yes. The Feds have done that a LOT.

7: it's the downside of a group mind. You can't focus seperately, you're constantly distracted by what everyone else is doing.

8: Risa is basically a garden on a planetary scale. they manipulate the weather to be exactly the way they want it to be. and yeah.... it apparently needs better security.

9: there probably is some sort of standard time used

10: Romulan :)

11: Rank and Position are two different things. Technically, Tom and B'Elanna are civilians too. Janeway gave the jobs that require them to tell others what to do. Thus the crew follows their orders because Janeway said so.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    diotw wrote: »
    Here's a Voyager question. I've been watching the series all the way through for the first time (just starting season 7 now), and I'm wondering, does Seven of Nine actually hold some sort of Starfleet rank once she's made part of the crew? I mean, they give her a badge, but they also gave one to Neelix and Kes. She also seems to order around a lot of the other characters, and if she's a civilian passenger, you'd think a few more of them would have a problem with that. :P

Catsuit Wearer, First Class
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    desdinova216desdinova216 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    well that's what the Holosuites on DS9 were primarily used for...
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    8. Could be worse. The Edo lived on a garden planet and the got the death penalty for sneezing too loudly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    admgreer wrote: »
    Here is a Trek question: If someone from our time was teleported into the time of TNG would they not use the holodeck for anything other than.. (rhymes with Gorn)

I'm going to go with "they'd GORN themselves to death". Its one of the problems I've hadf with Trek since the TNG era. I don't have a problem looking at the futuristic tech of holosuites and replicators...its the whole "and its all FREE BECAUSE WE DON'T NEED MONEY" thing that really turns me off.

Because if I I could basically have all of that and not have to pay for it I'd spend all of my time in a holosuite drinking replicated romulan ale and having "GORN" fests.

and so would you. and you. and you.

...and I'll never believe anyone that says they deny it, so don't bother.
  • Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I always assumed Bloodwine was made by fermenting Targ blood. It just seemed logical, since the Klingons eat Targs, and also eat disgusting things like Gagh. I wouldn't think they would be bothered by it.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Heres another question:

What is the reason for the Romulans hatred of the Federation? (I mean before the destruction of Romulus). I can accept that they're the "bad guys" but I never found out exactly whay they seem to hate everyone. The Klingons, I get it....they were originally meant to symbolize the cold wars powers or something in the 60s, and eventually became the lovable lobsterhead warrior race we all know. They're culture already puts them at odd with the Feds. The Cardassians are like super space fascist galactic TRIBBLE, so yeah, got that....but the romulans? Is it just xenophobia? Is it just because they're genetically predisposed to be ***holes?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    They're elitists who want to rule the universe. Their attempts to conquer the Feds have failed so far. Aside from their disliek of their Vulcan cousins they don't really hate the feds... They don't like them either, so they're kinda indifferent.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    What is the reason for the Romulans hatred of the Federation? (I mean before the destruction of Romulus). I can accept that they're the "bad guys" but I never found out exactly whay they seem to hate everyone. The Klingons, I get it....they were originally meant to symbolize the cold wars powers or something in the 60s, and eventually became the lovable lobsterhead warrior race we all know. They're culture already puts them at odd with the Feds. The Cardassians are like super space fascist galactic TRIBBLE, so yeah, got that....but the romulans? Is it just xenophobia? Is it just because they're genetically predisposed to be ***holes?

This is partially explained in ENT "Babel One", "United", and "The Aenar". If you haven't seen those episodes and don't want spoiler, skip the following paragraph.

In 2154, the Andorians and Tellarite were trying to create a peace treaty. The Romulans, fearing this could lead to a full alliance between the two powers (which would then be a threat to the Romulans), attempted to disrupt the peace talks by holographically disguising a warbird as various alien vessels and stirring up chaos around the region. Captain Archer and the Enterprise managed to talk the Andorians and Tellarites into working together (also with Earth and Vulcan vessels) to track down and eliminate the threat. So the Romulans' plan backfired -- instead of destabilizing the region, they ended up bringing the four races closer together.

Now the Romulans were afraid of the humans, and their ability to bring people together. So two years later they declared war on Earth and tried to conquer all human territories. Not only did the Romulans lose the war, but the humans continued to make alliances and ultimately created the Federation.

So that's why the Romulans hate the Federation: because they excel at making alliances, and such alliances can pose significant threats to the Star Empire.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Heres another question:

I believe Romulans were originally meant as an allegory of China.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • Options
    squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    admgreer wrote: »

There are a few reasons why they wouldn't. Most of these can be found in a lovely Blue Stripe article from Somethingawful, but I'll summarize here:

1) Holodecks require regular maintenance and cleaning. That maintenance is administered by someone you need to look in the eye later.

2) Things you leave in the holodeck, like...effluvia...don't disappear and can TRIBBLE with the holo emitters.

3) For safety and to aid maintenance personnel, what you do in the holodeck is recorded in the form of an isolated video log. This only shows you and what you're doing in an otherwise empty holodeck. This is usually hilarious.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    bloctoad wrote: »
    I believe Romulans were originally meant as an allegory of China.
    No, the Roman Empire, who subjugated almost all of the mediterranean region over a millenia ago.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No, the Roman Empire, who subjugated almost all of the mediterranean region over a millenia ago.

The Romulan system of government consisting of the Praetorite, the Senate, and the Tal Shi'ar fits the similar triumvirate group employed by China and the First Triumvirate of Gaius Julius Caesar, Marcus Licinius Crassus, and Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus. While Romulans, Romans, and Chinese do share commonalities, the Roman Empire would not fit the overall Cold War arc presented in the series.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Romulan

"The Romulans were created by writer Paul Schneider and introduced in TOS: "Balance of Terror". He modeled them on the Romans, naming their planets after the mythical founders of Rome, Romulus and Remus. The Romulans next appeared in "The Deadly Years" via recycled footage of the Romulan Bird-of-Prey, before making a physical reappearance in "The Enterprise Incident"."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    3. You think Fayetteville is hot? Try Texas! lol. Buddy of mine moved from here in Texas to Charlotte last year and was amazed at how much more bearable the summers were.

I prefer the dry heat, but can't help wondering if T'Pol likes it hot and nasty or prefers it cooler. Vulcan appears to be arid like Vegas.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    janusforbearejanusforbeare Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm mostly nitpicking at production decisions here, and most of these questions aren't meant to be taken seriously, but:

1) Why is every species except humanity named after their planet (or vice versa)? Romulans come from Romulus. Vulcans come from Vulcan. Andorians come from Andoria (or, occasionally, Andor - w00t inconsistancies!). The Tellarites come from Tellar. Denobulans come from - you guessed it - Denobula! Presumably, the Borg originated on Borgulus Prime or something. As a courtesy to our future alien neighbours, I propose we rename our planet Humania. Or maybe Humania III, for extra clarity.

2) This was sort of mentioned in the doctor McCoy question, but who in their right mind would EVER rely on transporters? I swear, they never work when you need them. How many times did Harry Kim say, "There's some kind of interference, captain! I can't get a lock!"? And always at the most damned inconvenient moment, too. I mean, you have spaceships that can wrap the laws of physics around their little nacelle, and safely fly through rips in the fabric of space-time, but noooo, you'd rather rely on technology less reliable than a 2001 Ford Explorer. Technology that takes you apart piece by piece, no less, and has been responsible for combining different people into one individual, creating evil twins of its users, hurling its victims into alternate dimensions, and inducing psychosis in those already crazy enough to use it.

3) If humans don't use money, how did the crew of DS9 pay for their drinks and holosuite time at Quark's?

4) Considering how many times Starfleet members have gone back in time to our era, why didn't any of them bother to watch Star Trek? They could have avoided a lot of stupid mistakes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    All I'm saying is the only blood curdling scream I ever heard from a Vulcan involved a transporter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm mostly nitpicking at production decisions here, and most of these questions aren't meant to be taken seriously, but:

1) Why is every species except humanity named after their planet (or vice versa)? Romulans come from Romulus. Vulcans come from Vulcan. Andorians come from Andoria (or, occasionally, Andor - w00t inconsistancies!). The Tellarites come from Tellar. Denobulans come from - you guessed it - Denobula! Presumably, the Borg originated on Borgulus Prime or something. As a courtesy to our future alien neighbours, I propose we rename our planet Humania. Or maybe Humania III, for extra clarity.

Long ago the word "human" was almost universally defined as "self-righteous space ape". Though this piece of linguistic knowledge has, potentially, far-reaching consequences and could utterly rewrite our understanding of history, it's been decided that letting the Terrans use it so earnestly was too good a time. It's since been kept hidden from Starfleet for generations.
    2) This was sort of mentioned in the doctor McCoy question, but who in their right mind would EVER rely on transporters? I swear, they never work when you need them. How many times did Harry Kim say, "There's some kind of interference, captain! I can't get a lock!"? And always at the most damned inconvenient moment, too. I mean, you have spaceships that can wrap the laws of physics around their little nacelle, and safely fly through rips in the fabric of space-time, but noooo, you'd rather rely on technology less reliable than a 2001 Ford Explorer. Technology that takes you apart piece by piece, no less, and has been responsible for combining different people into one individual, creating evil twins of its users, hurling its victims into alternate dimensions, and inducing psychosis in those already crazy enough to use it.

You can thank Big Transporter's high-paid lobbyists for that one.
    3) If humans don't use money, how did the crew of DS9 pay for their drinks and holosuite time at Quark's?

They hired an intermediary to use the money for them. It's not that humans don't use money, it's that they literally have no idea how to. Last time O'Brien tried to pay for something himself, he ended up with a scratched cornea and dysentery.
    4) Considering how many times Starfleet members have gone back in time to our era, why didn't any of them bother to watch Star Trek? They could have avoided a lot of stupid mistakes.

Because in their timeline 1993 was the start of, like world war 3. No one ever got around to making it and the temporal police erased all knowledge of the show after the Space TRIBBLE incident.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Actually.... this is a flaw of perception. Those are the names that HUMANS use for those planets. The Romulans call Romulus Rihan.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    They could always just start calling humans Earthlings.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2013
    It also irks me that nearly anytime they visit a city, on a planet, that city is named the same as the planet.

Think of how many cities we have on Earth. None of them are "Earth City." And even if there were one city named "Earth City" there would be dozens or hundreds of others that were not.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg