test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crash on startup loading screen (launcher is FINE)

My game is crashing after I hit the Engage button. I see the loading screen with the Cryptic icon, the loading bar creeps along a little bit, and then crashes, and I get a Cryptic Error report which then attempts to send hundreds of megabytes of debugging information (at a max upload speed of around 60KB/s I've only let it do this once).

I have filed a support ticket on this, but I've only had one reply since the original automated acknolowledgement, and that itself appeared to be an automated message as well about the launcher issues that were going on earlier this week, and it was several days ago (the 29th).

I haven't played the game for several months (although I'm certain it WAS working when I stopped playing it), so I thought I'd get back to it a few days ago. I patched up the game and tried to run it and began experiencing the issue (I've not been able to play it at all). Some days after struggling with this issue I filed a support ticket as I've pretty much run out of ideas. My main concern right now is that I'm also missing the 3rd year anniversary event. I realise it ends on the 14th which is just under a couple of weeks away, but at the rate things are going I'm concerned those days are going to run out fast.

In the event someone who may be able to help sees this thread, I have tried the following (I also list some other pieces of information that may be relevant) (in no particular order):

I tried using a utility called Process Monitor to try and view just what the game was trying to access in case it could reveal the cause of the error, but I didn't have any luck in identifying the cause of the problem.

I was running the latest Catalyst driver (13.1), but updated to the beta driver to see if that fixed the issue. Sadly it did not.

I have tried running the game with all non-essential programs closed. I have also tried running the game whilst Windows was using Aero Basic, and I have also tried running it whilst Windows Firewall and Windows Defender were disabled.

I have tried force verifying the game's files, and running the game in its safe mode.

I have also tried launching the game directly from gameclient.exe, and I have tried running it as an Administrator and in compatability mode for various different operating systems in the list.

I have also tried deleting gameprefs.Pref (both of them), along with almost every game file except the largest ones, that I have only done one at a time as my internet speed isn't the fastest, and I wanted to avoid any unnecessary downloads. The only ones I haven't redownloaded are sound.hogg, texture.hogg, texture2.hogg and texture3.hogg.

I do not have TeamViewer or Desktop Fusion installed.

I have also tried running the game on only one monitor (I have two), but this didn't work either.

I do not run the game from Steam, nor has it ever been installed with Steam.

It's possible I might not have remembered everything I've tried, but I will update my post if I have forgotten anything and remember it later.

I also deleted Cryptic Error temporarilly in case I got a more revealing error as to what might be the problem. I was eventually able to see the following:
Exception caught: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Program: ...
SVN Revision: ST.25.20130105a.35 (SVN 141902(http://code/svn/StarTrek/Baselines/ST.25.20130105a.0(branch svn = 143161)) Gimme 01041318:40:31)(+incrs)
Time: Sat Feb 02 08:53:35 PM
Process ID: 3624

0 0x66756d80 (0,2fe04c,0,2fe034)SymGetSymFromAddr(): gle = 126
Line: --- (0)
Module: ???
1 GameClient.exe!010ecba7 (0,0,0,0)SymGetSymFromAddr(): gle = 487
Line: --- (0)
Module: GameClient.exe

Extra Info:
CPU: 2499 Mhz (4/4 cores) / RAM: 8190 MBs (6134 free) / Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series / Driver Ver: 9.14.10.960 / OS Ver: 6.1.7601 / VidMem: 1024 MBs / D3D11: Unknown
Acceptable video card driver

Heap is NOT corrupted
No windows SYSTEM error code found.

Although it mentions some of my specifications above, I will provide a few more specifics:

CPU: Q3800
GPU: Radeon HD6850
RAM: 8GB DDR2
Also worth mentioning is that I have a dedicated soundcard, an Asus Xonar STX Essence.

I did make a post about this in a similar thread a few days ago, but I'm not confident it was the same issue, and that thread seems to have died anyway.

If anyone can help or has ANY suggestions of any kind, I would greatly appreciate any of them bar reinstalling the operating system.

I'll be checking this thread frequently until I get this issue resolved. Thanks in advance.
Post edited by metritutus on

Comments

• wretchedmaniwretchedmani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have been having the same issue since Jan 30. The game was working fine one day, and then the next I tried to play and it does the same thing you are describing. I am not tech saavy, so I can't be of help. Just though it might make you feel better that it isn't just you.
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The way you describe the crash is exactly what I once had on an older computer and STO.
    In my case it was the craphics card that were too old and couldn't handle it.

That said I'd start by getting he latest drivers for your Radeon HD6850.

I'm Nvidia all the way but found this link for you, hope it helps:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6850/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6850-overview.aspx#4
    signwidrona.png
  • metritutusmetritutus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    idrona wrote: »
    The way you describe the crash is exactly what I once had on an older computer and STO.
    In my case it was the craphics card that were too old and couldn't handle it.

That said I'd start by getting he latest drivers for your Radeon HD6850.

I'm Nvidia all the way but found this link for you, hope it helps:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6850/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6850-overview.aspx#4
    metritutus wrote: »
    I was running Catalyst 13.1 drivers, but updated to the beta drivers to see if that fixed the issue.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I'm already running the latest driver. I'll add a clarification to my original post that it is the latest driver.
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hm.. Google suggests that it might actually be some bug with STO and AMD,

Tried search for: star trek online amd

Perhaps you can get answers there? :)

*Just did a Google for someone. lol*
    signwidrona.png
    edited February 2013
    As another thing I've tried, today I set the Launcher options to disable On-Demand patching, and spent the entire day downloading an additional 4.8GB of data. Unfortunately this did not help resolve the issue for me.
    idrona wrote: »
    Hm.. Google suggests that it might actually be some bug with STO and AMD,

Tried search for: star trek online amd

Perhaps you can get answers there? :)

*Just did a Google for someone. lol*

The results from those search terms seem to primarily relate to graphical rendering issues and such, rather than the crash I am experiencing.
  • theelectheelec Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am having this problem too, running on Windows 7 x64 and have a Nvidia card so cannot be a problem with AMD.
    Trying to replace the launcher with http://files.startrekonline.com/launcher/Star%20Trek%20Online.exe did not work too.
  • wretchedmaniwretchedmani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I was having the same problem. I was running on STEAM. I ended up downloading the game directly from STO and it is working now.
    edited February 2013
    As a last resort, I am currently performing a full uninstall and reinstall of the game. I'll post an update here for how it turns out.
  • corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The game crashes my entire computer!! Never use to happen but recently it has happened every day over the course of the last week, usually 40 min into game time! :(
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
    edited February 2013
    The game crashes my entire computer!! Never use to happen but recently it has happened every day over the course of the last week, usually 40 min into game time! :(

The issue you are descibing is different to my one. I don't get close to playing it as it crashes on the startup loading screen. At least you GET 40 minutes of gametime. :P

EDIT: A complete uninstall and reinstall of the game did not resolve my issue.

EDIT2: I'VE FIXED IT! I have NO idea why this is happening, but I had to rename my Steam folder. I saw it before in another thread (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=478231), but when I tried to use Process Monitor, I didn't see anything trying to access the Steam folder when GameClient.EXE launched. However it occurred to me that as crazy as it was, it was the only thing I hadn't tried.

I've never installed this game from Steam, and I'd tried running it without Steam running before. And I've never used Steam's overlay with it. If I rename the folder back, GameClient.EXE crashes again. I've no idea why this is occurring, and I've asked for assurances in my Support Ticket that this issue will be passed on to the STO development team in the hope that no one else has to go through this process.

But yeah, basically I have to rename the folder every time I want to play Star Trek: Online, and back again so that I can use Steam.

I hope this helps anyone else who suffers from this most bizarre issue.
  • dannosmn07dannosmn07 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am having the exact same issue. I also had not played the game for a few months. I am fully updated as far as the screen messages indicate. I am running it on Steam if that matters in XP. I know that it used to work several months ago.
    Dan
  • apross44apross44 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I am getting the same problem as of last night (02-22-14) with the game getting to star trek online screen right after the cryptic screen and it just hangs there for a little bit then crashes. It then sends out the debug info to cryptic like the first post states. After that when you try to do it asked to verify the game file which can take 10-20 minutes it states but no issues are ever reported after verifying. I even tried the game today (02-23-14) just in case it was a patching issue but it is not. I downloaded this game directly from the site I am not going through steam so can anyone give anymore information on how to fix the issue?
  • projectdv2projectdv2 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    metritutus wrote: »
    The issue you are descibing is different to my one. I don't get close to playing it as it crashes on the startup loading screen. At least you GET 40 minutes of gametime. :P

EDIT: A complete uninstall and reinstall of the game did not resolve my issue.

EDIT2: I'VE FIXED IT! I have NO idea why this is happening, but I had to rename my Steam folder. I saw it before in another thread (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=478231), but when I tried to use Process Monitor, I didn't see anything trying to access the Steam folder when GameClient.EXE launched. However it occurred to me that as crazy as it was, it was the only thing I hadn't tried.

I've never installed this game from Steam, and I'd tried running it without Steam running before. And I've never used Steam's overlay with it. If I rename the folder back, GameClient.EXE crashes again. I've no idea why this is occurring, and I've asked for assurances in my Support Ticket that this issue will be passed on to the STO development team in the hope that no one else has to go through this process.

But yeah, basically I have to rename the folder every time I want to play Star Trek: Online, and back again so that I can use Steam.

I hope this helps anyone else who suffers from this most bizarre issue.

I click that link, and it tells me I don't have permission to view the page. Which is really weird. So, what folder is it I'm renaming, and what am I renaming it to? I play the game outright without Steam, but if renaming a stupid Steam folder is all it takes to be able to play again, then the hell with it, I'll do it.
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    apross44 wrote: »
    I am getting the same problem as of last night (02-22-14) with the game getting to star trek online screen right after the cryptic screen and it just hangs there for a little bit then crashes. It then sends out the debug info to cryptic like the first post states. After that when you try to do it asked to verify the game file which can take 10-20 minutes it states but no issues are ever reported after verifying. I even tried the game today (02-23-14) just in case it was a patching issue but it is not. I downloaded this game directly from the site I am not going through steam so can anyone give anymore information on how to fix the issue?

^This for me as well. I have not played for a little while but I could handle it fine a month ago. Now it will not get past the Cryptic screen no matter what force verifying I do. It just crashes and then the crash report crashes.
  • stormrchandlerstormrchandler Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    ^This for me as well. I have not played for a little while but I could handle it fine a month ago. Now it will not get past the Cryptic screen no matter what force verifying I do. It just crashes and then the crash report crashes.

Worked just fine the day before yesterday & Ive had the this same error since then ..I've done everything to fix it and nothing ...I reinstalled the launcher and reinstalled Arc , removed the old copy of STO ..but now I can't find the download link for STO. So now I have the launcher but no STO ?..its not finding it ? I'm not a techy minded in that sense so I'm lost ...
    any answers or suggestions ?? I'm missing out on the shard event & dil mining , etc ....:mad:
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I've run into this bug lately as well.
    On my desktop (with AMD) it works fine.

However on my laptop (T500 w/AMD) it just stopped all of a sudden.

It worked at the release of S9. I know this because before it looked great, and after S9 I had to enable half-resolution and it looked hideous.

However I don't play on my laptop much, and sometime between then and shortly after S9.5 came out, it stopped.

I get a crash on startup. The launcher loads fine, prompts to check for errors, which I do. Then it loads the game, shows the splash screen, then crash. The progress bar gets maybe 15-20% through.

I like to play it at lunch at work, however I can't do that anymore.
    I've sent several bug reports over several weeks.

The AMD drivers are at 13.1, and I can't update them. If I do, it breaks the switchable graphics (probably because my card isn't supported because it's a laptop model).

At the moment I'm using TeamViewer to play it remotely at work to advance the R&D.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • johnandcortanajohnandcortana Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    my friend has been getting this issue off and on and its ruining the game for us... we love it but cannot even play...
  • nekulturnynekulturny Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Same issue with me. Cryptic error reporting gets stuck also. I'm running the game thru Arc but same problem. I thought it might have been a problem because of the windows 10 upgrade, but apparently not. Port forwarding doesn't help. Haven't been able to play for a couple of weeks. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! Until a lot more people experience this issue they might not fix it. To them, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one"....