test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Quick simple hyper-torpedo question

ryuujinzeroryuujinzero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Sorry if it's been answered but i had a good search around and found only supposition that "maybe" you can't as they are set piece items)

Can anyone say, categorically whether or not you can mount more than 1 hyper-plasma torpedo launcher on a ship?

It's just I've seen players firing really crazy-huge volleys in STFs that almost looked like they were running two launchers. Is it possible, or is just my imagination (Lucky rolls on purple doff cooldown procs and spread shots?)
Post edited by ryuujinzero on

Comments

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I havn't tried, but what you see is pretty normal...

They fire in such succession, that the cooldown is almost finished when you are done firing, so it seems like they fire never ending.

From what I understand, and to be perfectly honest i might have gotten it wrong, You can have all the launchers that you want, but only one mounted at any time.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sorry if it's been answered but i had a good search around and found only supposition that "maybe" you can't as they are set piece items)

Can anyone say, categorically whether or not you can mount more than 1 hyper-plasma torpedo launcher on a ship?

It's just I've seen players firing really crazy-huge volleys in STFs that almost looked like they were running two launchers. Is it possible, or is just my imagination (Lucky rolls on purple doff cooldown procs and spread shots?)

could just be people running Tactical initiative 3
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    its the torpdeo doffs. you can stack a few together which when they proc all at once they can fire a very long stream

I will be honest and say ive never tried but i know that other people have bought these items and then found they cant mount more than 1, but you can own as many as you like for multiple ships.

these are part of a set so you should be limited to only 1, and others experience seems to confirm this.
  • Options
    ryuujinzeroryuujinzero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thanks all, if you know people who've tried that's good enough for me.

With 3 doffs you have a ~50% chance of at least one of them proccing a cooldown so if you have 3 purples that'd explain why some people fire an almost unstoppable barrage.

Speaking of which; are torpedo cooldown doffs compatible because occasionally I get spates my launcher fails to fire anything at all and I've trying figure out the cause there
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,331 Arc User
    edited February 2013

No, If it is part of a set you can only equip 1. The same goes for the romulan experimental beam.

That's the 3 purple doff exploit.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They could be using torp spread with the romulan launcher. Used with torp spread 3 it can shoot 10 torps at 5 targets.
  • Options
    eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    questerius wrote: »
    That's the 3 purple doff exploit.

Why call it an exploit? The game mechanics very clearly allow it to occur, and the DOFFs are doing exactly what they were designed to do - reduce torpedo cooldowns. I'm not seeing where the exploit is...

In game design, an exploit is deliberately taking advantage of a bug in the game's code, usually to do something the designers never intended. This is not what is happening here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    How does this work, precisely?
    The Hyper-Plasma fires (three balls) and has a 6 second cooldown (right?), the DOff (if it procs) reduces it by 5s so it fires 1 second later?
  • Options
    shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I thought they had patched it so the Hyper Plasma and Omega torps no longer interact with the torpedo doffs, as those doffs were not designed around torpedoes that have a magazine.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • Options
    kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    they only patched the omega torp...the hyper torp doesn't use mags....

either way..i dont know if its the doffs or just a bug in the code but i do at times have it where the torp (any of the special ones like trics, or the cluster torp) fails to fire but activates the CD -.- really annoying... and at times you have the lame maching-gun visual and audio glitching on a torp that is reloading but trying to fire....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • Options
    momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't consider it an exploit at all. The projectile officers do exactly what they are designed to do. If you have 2 photon torpedo launchers and 3 projectile officers, you get the same constant stream of launches it just doesn't LOOK as significant because the photon torps can't be targeted and you only get 1 per launch. The hyper plasma torpedo is a very "noisy" weapon but the performance it can deliver is perfectly ordinary. Don't forget that despite the massive strings of torpedoes the hyperplasma launcher torps only do a fraction of what a regular torpedo does.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    eulifdavis wrote: »
    Why call it an exploit? The game mechanics very clearly allow it to occur, and the DOFFs are doing exactly what they were designed to do - reduce torpedo cooldowns. I'm not seeing where the exploit is...

In game design, an exploit is deliberately taking advantage of a bug in the game's code, usually to do something the designers never intended. This is not what is happening here.

It has been stated by the developers that the doffs are not supposed to reduce cool down on set items. Using an unintended feature is an exploit.

The developers have been busy with the anniversary and server stability, but i have no doubt that the doff cool down on the romulan hyper torpedo and Omega torpedo will soon be a thing of the past.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    No, the Omega launcher wasn't supposed to proc them, they said nothing about the Hyper-Plasma.

The problem with the Omega torp was because it fires rapidly, which will repeatedly check for the proc, leading to ridiculous proc rates. The Hyper-Plasma launcher is basically a regular torpedo launcher that fires three slow balls.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I'll see if i can find the exact quote, but the doff cool down was never intended for either the Omega nor the Romulan Hyper torpedo which makes it an exploit.

Semantics aside, the answer has been given. Only 1 per vessel and the rapid fire is due to doffs.
  • Options
    malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes I remember the Omega torp being called out on the procs, which was a good thing since the proc was happening so much is would prevent the omerga torp from firing. I don't remember anything about the Romulan one, but I don't read everything.

Kinda related questions, does anyone know if the Romulan or Reman sets boost the hyper-torpedo regular fire? I'm thinking of this bonus in particular.

Set 2: Prototype Plasma Projectile

Passive
    +15 Starship Particle Generator
    Enchances your High Yield Plasma torpedos:
    Increased Flight Speed
    Increased Defense
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    malkarris wrote: »
    Yes I remember the Omega torp being called out on the procs, which was a good thing since the proc was happening so much is would prevent the omerga torp from firing. I don't remember anything about the Romulan one, but I don't read everything.

Kinda related questions, does anyone know if the Romulan or Reman sets boost the hyper-torpedo regular fire? I'm thinking of this bonus in particular.

Passive
    Increased Flight Speed
    Increased Defense

That is an excellent question, one i have to admit i don't know the answer to.
    Never bothered with the Romulan or Reman sets.

It'd be scary if it does however. Bulkier/faster plasma torpedoes being fired in groups of 3.
    The most effective counter (point defence) would be rendered partially ineffective.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    malkarris wrote: »

Passive
    Increased Flight Speed
    Increased Defense

It works on the hyper torpedo, but the bonus is small. Some people calculated the flight time, and you win around 1s on a max range shot, as far as I remember. Not really worth mentioning.

I've tested myself on tribble, and didn't see a difference. If the items are still there, feel free to try on tribble, the test merchant was in DS9, near the old STF merchant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    That's 1 second gain for the hyper torpedo, but the set pre-dates the hyper torpedo.
    Do you know how much the gain is for a regular plasma torpedo?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I'll see if i can find the exact quote, but the doff cool down was never intended for either the Omega nor the Romulan Hyper torpedo which makes it an exploit.

Until you provide a link to a post by a developer, calling it an exploit is merely your opinion. :)

As was stated already, projectile officers don't work with the omega launcher because they made this already glitchy weapon become even more glitchy.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    momaw wrote: »
    As was stated already, projectile officers don't work with the omega launcher because they made this already glitchy weapon become even more glitchy.

And if they didn't want a rapid-firing projectile weapon to proc PWO doffs, they would have de-synched the ferengi missile launcher at the same time.

Which they didn't.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    And if they didn't want a rapid-firing projectile weapon to proc PWO doffs, they would have de-synched the ferengi missile launcher at the same time.

Which they didn't.

..yet.

False argument b.t.w since the ferengi missile is lobbi store and one of their money pits.
    If anything they tend to keep things they make money on OP/exploitable.

Either way time will tell. When i have time to do a search I'll post that exact quote.
  • Options
    romuzariiromuzarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ..yet.

False argument b.t.w since the ferengi missile is lobbi store and one of their money pits.

Either way time will tell. When i have time to do a search I'll post that exact quote.
    Not really. The missle is part of a 3 piece set.

If they were going to nerf romulan torp because you think it's an exploit, they would have done it when they did it for Omega, which as I understand was a fix really. Still, they took the time to toy with that but didn't bother with romulan. It's been a pretty significant weapon for players in pve and they have yet to touch it and it's been how long since people started calling it foul?(because people hate progression in STO, and don't feel like defending against the romulan torp in pvp)

I can actually believe your quote exists, but it doesn't explain why the supposed "exploit" has yet to be fixed. And when/if it is fixed, the romulan torp effectively becomes worthless as three slow firing, slow flying plasma torpedoes are good for nothing more than target practice for your opponent. It'll just be the best plasma torp you can get which is saying exactly nada. Perhaps that is why they have not fixed this "exploit" and instead are working on an idea to make it still worthwhile to use. It's certainly not a problem for PvP or more people would be up in arms over it, and it would have been nerfed/fixed weeks ago. So the only reason to touch it is because we take out PvE faster than normal. Maybe that's a good enough reason, maybe not.

If it is a good enough reason then I must ask, exactly why are we bothering playing if our characters are never going to grow and become stronger? This is a core element of MMORPGs. At some point you have to stop continuously adjusting old content, worrying about players steamrolling it, and accepting the fact that we're supposed to do that, and as a MMO developer it is your responsibility to continuously update the game with bigger and better challenges for characters that are stronger. The novelty of new ships and seasons only go so far. At some point you need to focus on end game content. Especially when the game is 3 years old now.

And I don't say that as a defense to keeping the romulan torp where it's at so much as I say it to everyone that plays the game that are so resistant to progression because it messes up their status quo PvP. This is why PvP must be separated from PvE somehow or we're never going to get real progression in this game when everything we get our hands on has to be these minor upgrades that's practically worthless in the PvE field. Even almighty starbase gear upgrades have to be kept on the low end of improvement just so precious PvP stays balanced. I for one am tired of it, and I'm tired of no real end game to speak of as a result. I'm not saying get rid of PvP. I'm saying it's time to design it in such a way that when entering PvP combat certain perks you have for PvE are now non existent or adjusted to be weaker for the duration of the PvP matchup in order to keep it balanced. It's not a new idea, and it works well when used in many MMORPGs that chose to curse themselves with using both pve and pvp.

Rant aside, as I said before at least the MKXI blue reman gear gives a mere 1 second boost to flight speed when used with omega. I don't know the improvement of purple MKXII yet. I would certainly hope it's better but by how much? Realistically? 2 seconds tops? Probably 1.5 seconds. What would it do for regular plasma torps? I'm not sure, but I doubt it's going to warrant using reman over every other piece in the game that outshines the perk of faster torps. The defense boost is alright I guess but not anything to worry about unless shot at you at close range. I'll test plasma torps right now with reman, but I'm not going to report back unless the results warrant doing so.
  • Options
    arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's not an exploit as there is no unfair advantage to be gained. I did a ton of testing with DPS graphs and no matter how awesome endless streams of plasma projectiles look - the actual damage isn't any higher than what you'd get with a two quantum torp build, the quantums even come out ahead by ~300 DPS.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    It's not an exploit as there is no unfair advantage to be gained. I did a ton of testing with DPS graphs and no matter how awesome endless streams of plasma projectiles look - the actual damage isn't any higher than what you'd get with a two quantum torp build, the quantums even come out ahead by ~300 DPS.

In my own testing, hyper-plasma plus ferengi comes out slightly ahead of a photon torpedo boat due to the plasma burn. The kinetic damage alone is kind of pathetic for a torpedo boat but the burn stacks up fast. But this is compensated by the fact that the hyper-plasma torpedoes have a crazy long time to target and low burst damage, which means they are completely pointless for exploiting open shields like a quantum torpedo is. They can also be shot down in flight or wiped out by nearby splash events, which happens a fair bit. So you're trading clumsiness for DPS.

I maintain that the only reason people are complaining about the hyper plasma launcher is because it is so "noisy" and draws a lot of attention to the actions of a torpedo boat. Torp boats have always had rapid-fire launches and a bunch of torpedoes in the air at once, just they've never been quite so numerous or visible before.
  • Options
    daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Normaly I run a quant boat with 3 purp torpy doffs. Lately with pretty much the same setup Ive been runnning with the rommy torp, and no rommy torp is not an OP projectile, while the paintball string LOOKS impressive its burst damage is more or less non-existent. I wouldnt be surprised if transphasic out parsed them for burst damage.

And while the plasma burn stacks are quite nice for alot of the stationary PVE stf stuff, its nothing one cant accomplish with aminimal quant setup(dont use photons so no idea there).
    Also the ability for them to retarget is really quite convenient. And they do look cool

Tack on the fact that the projectiles are very slow, very visible, easly aoed down, easily avoided, the burn being easily HEd away if you fall asleep and get hit with it, and have a timer before they disapear. Im not really seeing the OPness

And as far as whoever said the LOBI fereghi missles+ torp dofs was powerful, LOL?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ..yet.

Following that logic, Tarantulas shouldn't have had their scorpion bug fixed. Except it happened. And tachyon mines will never get nerfed despite being hideously overtuned. Except that's going to happen too.

And as far as whoever said the LOBI fereghi missles+ torp dofs was powerful, LOL?

When used as filler in creative projectile builds to bring slow firing projectile CDs down to insanely short levels, they absolutely are.
  • Options
    daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

When used as filler in creative projectile builds to bring slow firing projectile CDs down to insanely short levels, they absolutely are.

ah so in escence give up and xtra fore weapon to speed up rload on a 2nd(or3rd) projectile. Im assuming were talking trics here since nothing else with a decent torp build would be labeled as slow fireing. Havnt used them that way i keep em on my tuffli for the commendation buff. For anything other than trics i really see no benifit as I can stream a constant string of quants without it. For trics whats the reload time were talking here? Insanely is a rather vague descriptor on skys falling/everythings fine forum boards.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    daskippa wrote: »
    ah so in escence give up and xtra fore weapon to speed up rload on a 2nd(or3rd) projectile. Im assuming were talking trics here since nothing else with a decent torp build would be labeled as slow fireing. Havnt used them that way i keep em on my tuffli for the commendation buff. For anything other than trics i really see no benifit as I can stream a constant string of quants without it. For trics whats the reload time were talking here? Insanely is a rather vague descriptor on skys falling/everythings fine forum boards.

I've seen it used to hasten a single tric (either a mine or torp), the breen cluster torp, even as backup on hyper-torps or quantums/plasma/transphasics to maintain a constantly high fire rate. With three purple PWOs you're talking up to a 9 second per missile shot CD reduction. That equates to 4.5/7.5/10.5 seconds coming off your long-cooldown weapons per missile firing cycle (including the firing time for the missile itself obviously, and assuming at least one proc). It's not a 100% thing, but the rapid fire nature of the launcher makes up for any zero-proc shots very quickly.

Photons are the only torps that can by themselves (when paired) sustain a constant projectile rain (by nature of their base cooldown, the torpedo GCD and the CD reduction of purple PWO doffs being large enough that you only need one proc per cycle). Every other type relies on chain-proccing PWO doffs, which means that when that chain breaks, the dps loss is both larger, and longer.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

I'm currently resting a Plasma build as well, using 2-3 DHCs and 1-2 part of the set. I even tried using both the Omega and the Hyper-Plasma (post patch), and came to the same conclusion.

The Omega launcher does worse damage than my DHCs (either as a pair or a trio) and is essentially good mainly for being an alternate torpedo to fill in the space for your primary launcher.

With 3 Very Rare Projectile Weapon Officers I can get an impressive looking string of plasma balls out of the Hyper-Plasma, but my parser shows it to also do worse than my DHCs. Part of this problem is that they're slow and fragile - against a group my CSV will finish melting most of the group before the plasma balls even get there. A lot of times I end up with at least a half dozen balls floating in the air. If they don't reacquire another target quickly enough, the warp core breach of the latest victims will pop them. Against bigger targets they do better because the targets survive long enough for the plasma balls to actually do something though.

I'm currently testing 3 DHC + Beam Array with BO3 vs 3 DHC + Hyper-Torp with HY3 to see how they fare. No projectile weapon officers this time, using 3 Conn officers so I can just use one copy of APB3 and have it up nearly all the time and 2 Shield Dist so I have a shield heal. (I'm in a JHEC, so it's TT1 x2, CSV1 x2, BO3 or THY3, APB3.)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Following that logic, Tarantulas shouldn't have had their scorpion bug fixed. Except it happened.

You mean Recluse.

Recluse was launching twice as many fighters as it was intended to. With Elite Scorpions, this meant a torpedo alphastrike of around 192K damage. It was funny but it was kind of stupid and WAY too effective.

As the actual torpedo-boating players have been trying to explain, the hyper-plasma strings you see are not a massive leap in firepower. They are a new way to torpedo boat, which offers somewhat more total damage than previous loadouts at the cost of being slow and destructible, and requiring significant time on target instead of delivering heavy shots. These are serious considerations.

Everybody declaring that hyper-plasma is the antichrist needs to go try a photon or quantum torpedo boat and watch those torps fire off every 2 seconds to realize that the hyperplasma launcher is NOT doing anything new except for splitting up the damage across three projectiles per firing instead of one.