test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thank you, Denise Crosby-Thread

Comments

• kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thank you Ms Crosby for such a wonderful performance. Tasha Yar / Sela is one of my Fav characters in the whole franchise and the Two characters that I have always felt were underused by "Star Trek". The 1st Episode I remember watching when I was a kid was "Skin Of evil". I was really disappointed Sela wasent in Nemesis. I hope we see more of both Characters In STO. Sela in Armada was epic and I hope Sela in STO will be just a Legendary

regards

kevin Pearce
  • causalityeffectcausalityeffect Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I appreciate the cameo and the effort being put in but VA work is a lot different from actual acting. As a result, Denise Crosby great as an actor on Star Trek but as a VA... especially in STO it was just lame.

The only decent VA this game has managed to get is Nimoy and thats really because his entire role IS to read from a script about the sectors as if he is giving a lecture.

The VA work they are trying to Tasha Yar to do is effectively Mass Effect 1,2,3 with the actors trying to say lines as if an actual person is saying them. All I will say is that having Tasha Yar constantly whining in my ear about forcefields and Directive XYC made me want to shoot her.

The blame for that really lies with Cryptic, turns out when you get an inexperienced director it ends up with crappy dialogue / voice acting.

Next time: Get a proper director or hire proper Voice Actors. I HEAR that Bioware is quite good at that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • user839020189287user839020189287 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    WHAT!? I thought she sounded AWFUL. Flat delivery that sounded like she was reading her lines instead of acting them. I guess most STO players are so starved for VO that anything pleases them :rolleyes: That was crappy VO work by Crosby and theres no way any REAL voice director working on an animated cartoon movie would have let that VO work make the final cut. I didnt hear the fire of Tasha in her VO work at all. Compare Tasha's emotional line delivery throughout all of Yesterday's Enterprise, then listen to this ep immediately after. HUGE difference and it sounds like someone sucked out all the fire and emotion that made Tasha Tasha in this ep. I cant blame Kestral this time, I thought the lines were good, but the delivery was flat flat flat IMO.

+1

Agree wholeheartedly.

Glad you said what I been thinking since this thread popped up.

Mediocrity is gaming's new benchmark, indeed.
    "Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
    Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
  • dm19deltadm19delta Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I finished the mission right before I went t to work today. I loved the mission and the voice over work. My favorite part was commanding the Enterprise-C and having Tasha Yar on my crew. I'm very happy with work you did here, and as soon as I get home from guarding the gates of Fort Hood, I'm going to go through it with my other two characters. I sincerely hope you return for more work as Sela. Thank you again.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I enjoyed the mission and appreciate Crosby's involvment. Thanks!

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Denise.

I just fired my Tactical officer out a photon tube. I promise you your own stable of Male Orions to keep you happy, cozy, and comfortable when your off duty. Feel free to beam aboard next time I slip through Drozana station or DS-9.

Dame Kuiama del Solima
    Lt. General, Klingon Defence Force
    I.K.S. Naked Stars.

P.S. I will drag you to various and assorted social gatherings through out the Alpha Quadrant. I belive in having a very happy,cheerfull, and relaxed bunch of warriors. I keep a taught, but happy battle cruiser.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • ncc42662ncc42662 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've been looking through the forums and I haven't seen a threat like this so putting one up. I thought it would be cool if everyone just took a second and posted a "thank you" note to Denise Crosby (and the Cryptic crew) for making this 3rd anniversary so awesome! I know she doesn't play but I think a small shout-out is the least we could do.

Thank you! :D

I realize I am just jumping on the bandwagon at this point but this thread woke me up to the realization that I should DEFINATELY thank her (and all the folks behind the scenes that made it happen) for a fun mission and a further glimpse of what happened to alternate reality Tasha Yar after she went back in time with the "C".

Thank you and kudos to everyone.
    Chris
    "The Prime Directive is merely a guideline to help make the right choice" -Vn'dor Phail, Capt
    :: sneezes :: Why is it no-one dusts the bridge on Starfleet vessels?" -Emsil Marat, Glinn
    "We can not interfere in the progression of one's life" -Richard Lynch, LtCdr
  • cross821cross821 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    thanks for making the ep great!
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thanks Denise(Lt Yar) it was you who inspired me to create my female Tactical Officer although Age is 23 Century Tactical officer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • user839020189287user839020189287 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    She sounds normal

I highly doubt she would have had her role on ST:TNG if she read her lines like that in auditions.

After hearing her speak I thought she was in a car accident and that Cryptic was throwing her a bone to help out with her rehabilitation.
    "Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
    Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
  • gstamo01gstamo01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's not like she didn't get paid for it.. :rolleyes:
    You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online! :D
  • ascaladarascaladar Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    WHAT!? I thought she sounded AWFUL. Flat delivery that sounded like she was reading her lines instead of acting them. I guess most STO players are so starved for VO that anything pleases them :rolleyes: That was crappy VO work by Crosby and theres no way any REAL voice director working on an animated cartoon movie would have let that VO work make the final cut. I didnt hear the fire of Tasha in her VO work at all. Compare Tasha's emotional line delivery throughout all of Yesterday's Enterprise, then listen to this ep immediately after. HUGE difference and it sounds like someone sucked out all the fire and emotion that made Tasha Tasha in this ep. I cant blame Kestral this time, I thought the lines were good, but the delivery was flat flat flat IMO.

I doubt you would say this in person to her, or to anybody else. So you are here enjoying that you told the "truth" to anyone while in reality you just use the anonymity of the Internet to let your hatred out.
  • aeolusdallasaeolusdallas Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gstamo01 wrote: »
    It's not like she didn't get paid for it.. :rolleyes:

That doesn't mean she shouldn't be thanked anyways. That's called being polite. Were you raised in a barn?
  • aemyhsanaemyhsan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Many thanks for being part of this event. Fun enough, last week I was watching that episode on Netflix. It was a random click episode and watch while eating dinner. It was really cool to be tied in to it!

I though the voice acting was good. I wouldn't blame the acting and would probably say, the editing could have been paced better but that's a complete different topic.
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thank you Denise Crosby for reprising your role of Tasha Yar on Star Trek Online, it is much appreciated. We love having that real-world connection to this game.

I always thought your death in TNG was pointless, and wish you had stayed on longer. I'm glad that eventually they gave you more to with Yesterday's Enterprise and Empress Sela in the series.

Thanks again
  • doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ascaladar wrote: »
    I doubt you would say this in person to her, or to anybody else. So you are here enjoying that you told the "truth" to anyone while in reality you just use the anonymity of the Internet to let your hatred out.

No, I would say it to her face. ESPECIALLY if I was the voice director at Cryptic. I posted that before I read every page and saw Gecko planning on forwarding this thread to her. So, I slightly regret that, but its the truth. Maybe she just wasnt up to really doing it day of VO work. Denise is clearly a good actress to have made such a character as Tasha be so impactful in TNG in the short amount of time she played her. And her performance in Yesterdays Enterprise was Tour de Force. But theres a huge emotional drop in her voice inflections in the VO for this mission. She sounds like someone beat the fire out of Tasha Yar. Denise knows what Im talking about, she CREATED the fire that was in Tasha. Maybe she thought she could coast in VO work, but discerning ears can tell the difference in effort. If I were her, and I was in the bay area again, Id go back to Cryptic and rerecord those lines with the passion they deserve to be given. If she thinks a few words should be tweaked here and there, fine, rewrite the text in mission to match exactly what Denise says. I expected Tasha Yar the character I see in TNG (the one I had the hots for when I first saw her character, even though I dislike short hair), not Tasha Yar the line reader.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thank you so much as well was great to have your voice in our game :D
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am well pleased with Denise's work here. Thanks, Ms. Crosby. :)

Let's face it, most of the voice work in this game is totally cheesy and overacted, way too much drama, it's like they were posting on this forums or something. :D
  • evendzharevendzhar Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    That was crappy VO work by Crosby and theres no way any REAL voice director working on an animated cartoon movie would have let that VO work make the final cut.
    Maybe not, but the bar has been set so low that Denise Crosby's work manages to stand as some of the best voice acting STO has to offer. In my opinion Crosby is a competent actress, so if her voice acting was not all it could have been, I would blame the director for not pushing her enough, or the writer for failing to make the monologues feel authentic.
    I cant blame Kestral this time, I thought the lines were good, but the delivery was flat flat flat IMO.
    I thought the lines were terrible. While I'm sure there are professional voice actors who would be able to make them work, I wouldn't expect someone with little voice acting experience to be able to do the same, especially in a production like STO.
  • jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Urghhh... Stupid thread is stupid.

She's an actor, who - guess what - gets PAID to act. We shouldn't be thanking her for doing her job.

This is the problem with society today, all this hero worship sets a bad precedent - thats how we end up with loonies like Tom Cruise and Will Smith.

Yes this is true, however she also had the choice to say no and she didn?t

It is my opinion that this is what the thread is all about.

I would like to say, ?Thank you Denise Crosby for reprising your role as Tasha Yar?

:)
  • rasilekrasilek Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Denise was fantastic. Thank you very much for the epic adventure! :)
    edited February 2013
    That doesn't mean she shouldn't be thanked anyways. That's called being polite. Were you raised in a barn?

Do you send a "Thank You" note to the power company every time you pay your bill? Didn't think so.

Now, I could say things like "It was great that Cryptic recruited Denise Crosby to add a little TNG flavor to STO" and thank them for it, but thanking a paid actress for allowing Cryptic to PAY her and Beacon Talent Agency for services rendered is a bit silly. ;)

Where are all the "thank you" threads and/or comments of praise for all those other voice actors that were in the mission?
    You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online! :D
  • roamingmuttroamingmutt Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Do you send a "Thank You" note to the power company every time you pay your bill? Didn't think so.

Now, I could say things like "It was great that Cryptic recruited Denise Crosby to add a little TNG flavor to STO" and thank them for it, but thanking a paid actress for allowing Cryptic to PAY her and Beacon Talent Agency for services rendered is a bit silly. ;)

Where are all the "thank you" threads and/or comments of praise for all those other voice actors that were in the mission?

So, just to be clear. You are comparing an actual, identified PERSON to a large company filled with people who you'll never have actually interact with?

Here let me help you.

1) How about thanking her for saying "yes" when Cryptic asked her. She, unlike your power company, didn't have to do anything.

2) When Nimoy and Quinto did there part, people were thanking them in the forums. Most people don't know who the other voice actors are. They have no connection to the Trek-universe. But these 3 people are and when asked, they said sure. A "thank you" isn't costing anyone anything but it's a NICE THING TO DO!

3) I saw a lot of comments thanking the other voice actors. Players have been giving them compliments (and critiques) for ages now.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2013

When I go to the restaurant, and eat something very enjoyable, I can say to the cook it was good. Even if I paid. You don't have to take everything for granted, and be rude with everyone, simply because you paid for it.
    Also, this was a free mission. IE you didn't paid for it. Stop being rude.

So yeah, thank you Denise Crosby. And also thank you to whoever do Obisek, I love his voice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    Nowhere in my postings here did I say it wasn't nice to of had her as a hired voice actor. The original comment made was that it's silly to give thanks for a service she was paid for. Like I said, I'll give thanks to Cryptic and PWE for seeking out and enlisting her voice, over blindly thanking her for allowing them to pay her for a service rendered.

Some of you guys talk like she is some big star or something. She's not. She is a 55 yr old two bit actress that thought she was better than those with better foresight to have seen that they were actors in something that was bigger than all of them.

I'm glad Cryptic added a little TNG flavor. I'm just not such a fan boy that I would have created an entire thread to thank a paid actor for doing their job. Especially when I know that paid actor will never even see it.
  • roamingmuttroamingmutt Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Nowhere in my postings here did I say it wasn't nice to of had her as a hired voice actor. The original comment made was that it's silly to give thanks for a service she was paid for. Like I said, I'll give thanks to Cryptic and PWE for seeking out and enlisting her voice, over blindly thanking her for allowing them to pay her for a service rendered.

Some of you guys talk like she is some big star or something. She's not. She is a 55 yr old two bit actress that thought she was better than those with better foresight to have seen that they were actors in something that was bigger than all of them.

I'm glad Cryptic added a little TNG flavor. I'm just not such a fan boy that I would have created an entire thread to thank a paid actor for doing their job. Especially when I know that paid actor will never even see it.

And with that comment, I wash my hands of you. I started this thread to do something nice. To say thank you to someone who didn't have to do a voice over, who didn't have to give the interviews, or pose for pictures with the Cryptic staff.

No one was "blindly" doing anything...well perhaps you were when you decided that a bunch of people saying "thank you" was a step too far. Reply to this comment if you wish, but I'm not going respond. But in the future when you (and the rest of the "why say thank you" crowd) don't get thanked for doing your job, plus a little extra, just remember that you earned it.
  • evendzharevendzhar Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You seem bitter. Did Crosby leaving TNG somehow affect you personally?
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    A proactive thanks from me. I have yet to play the mission but hope it has all the fire and emotional drive as your red shoe adventure, with romulan sneakiness to boot.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
    edited February 2013
    evendzhar wrote: »
    You seem bitter. Did Crosby leaving TNG somehow affect you personally?

haha no. This whole things kind of gotten a bit out of hand.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    haha no. This whole things kind of gotten a bit out of hand.

When you enjoy the work of an artist, it's generally accepted that you tell them if you get the chance. That's what this thread is. If you seek forum glory, try one of those "The combadge is the wrong shade of yellow." threads.

Anyway, I thought it was nice to have an original cast member show up and give us a trip down memory lane in a short, yet enjoyable mission.
    <3