What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Grinders: The Future of the Foundry

Comments

• Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Took me about 1 month to get ~15 plays of A Cold Heart part 1 and ~10 plays of part 2, 90% of which I had to beg people directly to play.

Meh.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    First Cause is almost as old as the Foundry. For a mission to have 1/5th of the plays in like 2 months is astonishing. The difference, of course, is that people don't usually replay First Cause.

Only one rating counts toward the numbers as far as I know, though, so if someone replays it doesn't add another rating, or am I wrong about that?

Either way, the fact the RR has so many plays so quickly is surprising...

You know, the truth is I don't even give a damn if the vast majority of the player base just wants to grind. Actually, in my opinion STO started out a lot better than it has ended up. The sale to PWE and the refocus on grinds and lockboxes has been a big negative, in my opinion. We'll never really know how STO could have been if they focused on storyline, because it didn't happen. Maybe it wouldn't have been as successful, who knows? As it stands, however, it's not really a surprise that most of the players are interested in grinds, IMO.

But the point is, if there is a small minority of people who enjoy story missions then they are worth making. If that stops being the case, then all of us can just move on.
  • Options
    grindisbaddesigngrindisbaddesign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Mystery patch tomorrow, no notes so it's probably a nerf or three.

Congrats Hippiejon, kirkfat and the rest. I hope the playerbase recognizes who is responsible.

Edit: Tomorrow's patch has nothing to do with the Foundry. -Brandon
  • Options
    oldkirkfanoldkirkfan Member Posts: 1,263 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    bones1970 wrote: »
    Or this is how we like to play , blow stuff up, not read for a hour.

Some of us like to read. Sometimes a good well written story is better than a no brainer blast fest.

If I was only interested in grinding, I'd play the Cryptic grind.

I like the foundry for Entertainment, and there are MANY very well written missions, written by VERY talented Authors. out there. If you don't like to read, it seems to me you are missing out on a lot of top quality stuff. Whether it is from laziness, or greed, we all have our opinions.

Do not trash what I like, simply because you don't. Let the authors do what they do best. Speaking for myself, I will continue to play story driven and multiple part missions, as long as the authors continue to write them.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    nagorak wrote: »

But the point is, if there is a small minority of people who enjoy story missions then they are worth making. If that stops being the case, then all of us can just move on.

I think it depends on the circumstances. If:

a. We're writing missions for an entirely different type of Star Trek game
    b. We can't get folks to see or play our stories.
    c. The general playerbase isn't interested.
    d. Getting our stories to even qualify for rewards is difficult.

Then, I'd say yeah, it's probably time to move on. It's like we're trying use guest spots on the Jerry Springer Show to deliver episodes of The West Wing. People are throwing popcorn and screaming "Jerry! Jerry!"

At the very least, we're trying to salvage what is left of Star Trek in a game that no longer really cares about the IP. Is that harsh and elitist? Yes, a little. But it doesn't make it less true.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    oldkirkfan wrote: »
    Do not trash what I like, simply because you don't. Let the authors do what they do best. Speaking for myself, I will continue to play story driven and multiple part missions, as long as the authors continue to write them.

The reaction is the way it is because you can go through this thread and seeing hippiejon and friends calling combat missions exploits and plotting ways to get them nerfed or removed. They can't walk it back, they went to crazytown and now own any nerfs that come down the pike.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The reaction is the way it is because you can go through this thread and seeing hippiejon and friends calling combat missions exploits and plotting ways to get them nerfed or removed. They can't walk it back, they went to crazytown and now own any nerfs that come down the pike.

It's crazytown to ask you to earn your loot? Please explain why the devs should give you 500k ECs for blowing up a few defenseless ships.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Blowing up 161 ships in a single Foundry mission that never shoot back yet drop oodles of loot isn't a problem?

Really?

Several hundred EC for doing nothing but clearing out my guns and watching a massive chain reaction seems kind of off to me.

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited January 2013

actually this is what I have been saying.
    you've just been so crazy town yourself defending your ability to cheat and exploit that you haven't been reading. here, have another opportunity.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=7674541&postcount=28

so, how was your day after i wished you a nice day ? You know, after you threatened to 1 star my misison.
    I hope it was enjoyable.
    I truly loved the 30 new 1 star ratings I got.
    You're just amazing and so caring.
    You do understand that I will wear all those 1 stars like badges of pride and honor.

please , keep taking the crazy pills and believe that there is some mad conspiracy of elite foundry authors who only want to ruin your game.
    We sit around in smokey rooms plotting how we'll do it you know.
    Wringing our hands together and cackling with glee we plot the secret downfall of your ability to gain marks and loot.

Pardon me, our recess is over. It's time to come up with our next horrible plot.
    I have no further time to talk to you.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Mystery patch tomorrow, no notes so it's probably a nerf or three.

Congrats Hippiejon, kirkfat and the rest. I hope the playerbase recognizes who is responsible.

Edit: Tomorrow's patch has nothing to do with the Foundry. -Brandon
    I love Bran. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2013
    Even those of us who have gone to "crazytown" have said that we would have no problem with "Rumble missions" (the ones where the enemies shoot back), if there was an easy way for players to filter out those missions when searching for story missions, or to filter out story missions when looking for rumbles.

I believe that the timid creature abuse is an exploit - there was a similar one in the past that got removed and rightly so - and I'd gladly own that nerf.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Why not this post instead?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=7654391&postcount=97
    Are people really asking that Cryptic make an official category for "grinders" ?

This has passed ridiculous. Are people so attached to cheating the system that they now are actually calling for someone to legitimize their cheating ?

Loading into a map full of Max level enemies all set to timid so they won't fight back, and are stacked on top of each other so you get 25 kills for 1, and all the Loots is cheating.

Loading into a mission where you set up your Boffs and press a button then go afk for 15 minutes and come back and collect the loots, is cheating.

And now people are calling for these pieces of TRIBBLE to have their own category ?
    What the ever living FV** is wrong with people ?
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Sure.
    how about that post.
    The one where i say that shooting dozens and hundreds of ships that don't fight back is an exploit. yeah, how about it ?
    Your point ?

A mission where your enemies shoot back and actually tests your skill as a player for 15 minutes. I'd have No problem with that at all, as I say in many of my posts that you have neglected to actually , you know, read.
    Nope, you need a bad guy. I apparently have drawn the short straw today.
    Please, continue your anti HippieJohn campaign far and wide.
    I hope it brings you inner peace.
  • Options
    admgreeradmgreer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It's crazytown to ask you to earn your loot? Please explain why the devs should give you 500k ECs for blowing up a few defenseless ships.

How does that effect you or your gameplay? If its an exploit like the current one where the NPC's are killing players in ESD, or the last Boff power exploit, yes they were game breaking, and need to be fixed. People earning EC fast is hurting no one, Just beacuse you few decided you didnt like it now it has to be changed? Beacuse players are using "your" Foundry to do something other than play your missions? This is no differnet than getting 99 extra lives on Super Mario world. Every game has tricks and exploits, finding them and using them is part of gaming and always has been. So what if people found a way to get extra EC, it does not effect you in the least.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, I mean, look at Tau Dewa patrols -- warp in, fight a bunch of waves of guys while you and allies fight back, rinse, repeat.

A reasonable (non-exploit) grinder is pretty much that, with a few extra rewards (fleet marks rather than daily Romulan marks)

• Options
    edited January 2013
    As far as 'it harms no one,' it mutates the game economy and warps the intended game design by Cryptic.

I mean, what, if you found a command that gave you two billion dilithium, that would be cool?

• Options
    edited January 2013
    hippiejon wrote: »
    We sit around in smokey rooms plotting how we'll do it you know.
    Wringing our hands together and cackling with glee we plot the secret downfall of your ability to gain marks and loot.

Because We Are ARTISTES!

/sarcasm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    admgreer wrote: »
    How does that effect you or your gameplay? If its an exploit like the current one where the NPC's are killing players in ESD, or the last Boff power exploit, yes they were game breaking, and need to be fixed. People earning EC fast is hurting no one, Just beacuse you few decided you didnt like it now it has to be changed? Beacuse players are using "your" Foundry to do something other than play your missions? This is no differnet than getting 99 extra lives on Super Mario world. Every game has tricks and exploits, finding them and using them is part of gaming and always has been. So what if people found a way to get extra EC, it does not effect you in the least.

Actually, people using exploits to get EC does affect us. It impacts the entire economy via inflation and over time makes it so that everything is slightly more expensive than it would otherwise be.

Although, considering how little I play the actual game, I suppose you might be right it that it doesn't affect me much personally, but it definitely does affect the game.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The last defense of an exploiter is usually, "I'm not harming anybody!" when we can list the ways in which the widespread use of an exploit harms the game's economy and the listings of actual foundry missions.

That defense usually happens after the lame: "If they didn't want me doing it, then they would have designed it differently."

Dear all STO players, if you are angry about the loss of an exploit, feel free to personally blame ME. Yes, I'm a rat. I called you out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    admgreeradmgreer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    With high end items running in the 10's to 100's of millions of EC, someone making 300-600k EC once a day is not "breaking the game" For it to be game economy damageing the average player would have to have 10-15 toons. Most have 1 or 2. I have 4 so by me earning at most 2 mil EC a day is going to destroy STO as we know it? So by giving every active player in the game 2 mil EC a day is going to destroy it? Its not going to do anything except help some smaller fleets advance faster and sell some XII gear on the exchange, thats it.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    admgreer wrote: »
    With high end items running in the 10's to 100's of millions of EC, someone making 300-600k EC once a day is not "breaking the game" For it to be game economy damageing the average player would have to have 10-15 toons. Most have 1 or 2. I have 4 so by me earning at most 2 mil EC a day is going to destroy STO as we know it? So by giving every active player in the game 2 mil EC a day is going to destroy it? Its not going to do anything except help some smaller fleets advance faster and sell some XII gear on the exchange, thats it.

There was very similar to a defense of the console clickers. "It's only 1440 dilithium and stuff is expensive for my small fleet!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Dear all STO players, if you are angry about the loss of an exploit, feel free to personally blame ME. Yes, I'm a rat. I called you out.

NO !
    I want this blame.
    You can't have it.
    :P
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    hippiejon wrote: »
    NO !
    I want this blame.
    You can't have it.
    :P

OK, they can blame us both.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    OK, they can blame us both.

Ok, I'll share, I guess.
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Maybe remove the ability for missions to drop items that can be vendored, and instead award a fixed amount of EC (20,000?) via the IOR return?

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    chicochavezchicochavez Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Actually someone already did with the maintenance notice, but bran already said the update had nothing to do the with Foundry
    Play Star Trek: Allegiance - my first series in the Foundry
  • Options
    designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Alright, I'm done. This thread's dead, Jim.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    You know, given what Cryptic apparently thinks of people who try to bring value to the game... I'm done. Deleting my 4 VAs and looking for a game with devs that actually like their playerbase.

Hope you guys have a better time of it.

• Options
    ajstonerajstoner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    You know, given what Cryptic apparently thinks of people who try to bring value to the game... I'm done. Deleting my 4 VAs and looking for a game with devs that actually like their playerbase.

Hope you guys have a better time of it.

Bring supplies, you'll be wandering around for a while.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Zahinder is right, partially. The devs sometimes listen, but only when it suits them. The CS is the problem, though - the more I play this game and encounter issues, the more I experience this "Service" - they treat everyone like insolent, bothersome children, and brush off most of us, including the people with legit complaints or minor fixes.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
This discussion has been closed.