test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Comments

• Options
    dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    No Point in Saucer sep, if you do not have enough pew pew. But I must admit, the Nebula on the screen looks lovely ! :P
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The Chyenne... no. That thing looks horrible as it is... And the saucer sep is almost as frightening to look at as the Sov saucer sep

Nebula... Sorta cool, but unsure really...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I don't really see the point; The Galaxy has plenty of phaser arrays and torpedo launchers to compensate for losing the saucer section's beefy phaser arrays, but the Heavy Cruiser and Nebula don't. That, and their "engineering sections" (if they're even considered as a secondary hull) don't look good; the Galaxy's engineering section looks halfway decent without the saucer.

Also, the Sovy Separation is basically the Odyssey Separation.
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    anything that makes use of the nebula is full of win. Make it so
  • Options
    jcp26jcp26 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The Cheyenne and Nebula class are little more than a saucer section. That's how they were designed. The Nebula was meant to be a cheap, scaled down version of the Galaxy. Read Memory Alpha. No saucer separation!

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    jcp26 wrote: »
    The Cheyenne and Nebula class are little more than a saucer section. That's how they were designed. The Nebula was meant to be a cheap, scaled down version of the Galaxy. Read Memory Alpha. No saucer separation!

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes

Excelsior also wasn't designed to have greater firepower than Galaxy...so your point being ? :rolleyes:
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    jcp26jcp26 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    dalnar83 wrote: »
    Excelsior also wasn't designed to have greater firepower than Galaxy...so your point being ? :rolleyes:

It doesn't! The Lakota was special case, because it was modified by a madman to overthrow the government. Watch the battles in the Dominion War. The Excesliors always die before the Galaxys. They shouldn't even be in this game. They are too old.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It doesn't! The Lakota was special case, because it was modified by a madman to overthrow the government. Watch the battles in the Dominion War. The Excesliors always die before the Galaxys. They shouldn't even be in this game. They are too old.

He's not referencing the Lakota having more destructive power than a Galaxy in-universe (as far as I'm aware those two ships types never have anything that could even remotely be used as a comparison), he's referring to the fact that an offensive Excelsior in STO has the potential to be a considerably more destructive ship than an Exploration Cruiser (Retrofit) ever will be.

That being said, STO game balance (or more specifically the lack of it) isn't enough to justify adding something so...strange? Pointless? Out of place? To specific ship types that have little to no justification for having said something.
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The Cheyenne and Nebula class are little more than a saucer section...]

This. If you take off the nacelles, all you've really done is gimp the ship. About all saucer separation would be useful for would be a backup to the warp core ejection system. And, really, if things were so bad that that was necessary, you wouldn't have time to evacuate the non-saucer part of the ship, so those in that part of the ship would become "casualties of war".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    With the Exception of the Galaxy (and guess the Odyssey), Saucer Seperation was only used for Emergency Purposes. For example, the Consitution did have Saucer Seperation capability, where the Saucer was a lifeboat, but it required a shipyard to reconnect it.

That means for us in-game, it would be a useless mechanic and better off for the Dev team to be working on new things.
  • Options
    alexhurlbutalexhurlbut Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I don't really see the point; The Galaxy has plenty of phaser arrays and torpedo launchers to compensate for losing the saucer section's beefy phaser arrays, but the Heavy Cruiser and Nebula don't. That, and their "engineering sections" (if they're even considered as a secondary hull) don't look good; the Galaxy's engineering section looks halfway decent without the saucer.

Also, the Sovy Separation is basically the Odyssey Separation.
    Plenty Phaser arrays? You mean the 6 small arrays and the 2 medium arrays (one revealed on Star Drive section after seperation and the other on belly of star drive)?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Plenty Phaser arrays? You mean the 6 small arrays and the 2 medium arrays (one revealed on Star Drive section after seperation and the other on belly of star drive)?

But plenty of emmiters in each array...
  • Options
    aethon3050aethon3050 Member Posts: 599 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    havam wrote: »
    anything that makes use of the nebula is full of win. Make it so

This.

I'd still love to see them make another two ships of the Nebula line, and sell all three as a pack; all they'd have to change is the pod on the back, and allow the players to choose the pod visual they want, based on which versions they own.

Sci comes with the radome, as seen in TNG; already comes with the tachyon grid.

Tac comes with the torpedo pod like the one already in the game, and a forward-arc version of torpedo point defense or something like that.

Eng comes with another pair of warp nacelles, like the one model they made but never used (at least, I *think* they never used it). Give it saucer separation.

Combined, the consoles could give some sort of bonus. Also, saucer sep on the tactical version would be cool as hell, and entice people to buy at least two parts of the set, even if they already own the original.

I don't know...just thinking...which kinda explains that burning smell.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    Going by that, neither should the Connies and Mirandas, and especially the NX class.

I dont see those ships in T5...
  • Options
    tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    Going by that, neither should the Connies and Mirandas, and especially the NX class.

The NX class in the game is a modern recreation of the original NX shape and size, but using modern components, done by Starfleet Engineers as a tribute to the original.
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    two words: NOT CANON!!!!!
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    For the Nebula, yeah but I doubt it will happen. If they won't go back to fix details here and there, I doubt they will go back to enable previous Nebulas to do so as well. Even the Fleet Nebula.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    auriciusauricius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    a3001 wrote: »
    two words: NOT CANON!!!!!

One word: Cryptic. Your argument has just been invalidated. :P

As a side note, I'm a Nebula enthusiast, but I'd rather pass on these abilities, the ship to me is really just a solid frame welded together, even if it's supposed to be a modular design. I'm all for new skins though, I'd love to see an Envoy/Celestial variant along with the missions pods, though I'd settle for those alone, maybe a Venture skin. :)
  • Options
    xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Wouldn't it be canon due to the fact that one of the idea functions of the Nebula was to be a saucer recovery vessel?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    xigbarg wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be canon due to the fact that one of the idea functions of the Nebula was to be a saucer recovery vessel?
    ??? Where did you get that idea from?
  • Options
    sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    That seems fun and cool. Might breathe some new life into the old girl after she was so badly outclassed by the Vesta.
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I dunno, I love the Nebula, but I'm just not feeling it. I understand some of the back story of the Nebula, but I can't imagine a Nebula stardrive section being that potent in combat. The Galaxy at least has a much larger stardive section for weapons and hull purposes, the Nebula has to have at least a thrid less hull in its stardrive.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    That seems fun and cool. Might breathe some new life into the old girl after she was so badly outclassed by the Vesta.
    Yes, I would elated if the Nebula, my favorite starship, had stats in class of the Vesta.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,827 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    aethon3050 wrote: »
    This.

I'd still love to see them make another two ships of the Nebula line, and sell all three as a pack; all they'd have to change is the pod on the back, and allow the players to choose the pod visual they want, based on which versions they own.

Sci comes with the radome, as seen in TNG; already comes with the tachyon grid.

Tac comes with the torpedo pod like the one already in the game, and a forward-arc version of torpedo point defense or something like that.

Eng comes with another pair of warp nacelles, like the one model they made but never used (at least, I *think* they never used it). Give it saucer separation.

Combined, the consoles could give some sort of bonus. Also, saucer sep on the tactical version would be cool as hell, and entice people to buy at least two parts of the set, even if they already own the original.

I don't know...just thinking...which kinda explains that burning smell.

You know this sounds like a interesting idea...how would you see the boff setup...same as the current Nebula?
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ??? Where did you get that idea from?

I can't remember where I saw it but that does sound vaguely familiar. Sort of like the warp booster for the Vulcan shuttle in TMP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,827 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No Point in Saucer sep, if you do not have enough pew pew. But I must admit, the Nebula on the screen looks lovely ! :P

I'd say in some ways she has more damage potential than the Galaxy, you can have two Lt Tacs instead of one, has the kind of turn rate that you can use DBB or Single Cannons even if you aren't separated, and has Sensor Analysis.

Yes you do lose two weapon slots...which does hurt but you gain so much in return for those two slots.
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    xigbarg wrote: »

That is indeed, shocking, but true. I came across an Okudagram a while back, and it did show a separation plane and a Battle Bridge. It was published in a version of the Star Trek Communicator, before that magazine went kaput.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The reason the Galaxy separates it saucer is because it has familes on board and in time of battle they need to go where it is safe.The stardrive setion is used in battles while the saucer goes some where it is safe a Stabase maybe.

It is for no stratigic reasons at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    bobogheimbobogheim Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    After I saw the pictures about the Cheyenne and Nebula with their saucer separation.

I am going to ask this to cryptic just for a try. I remember that Cryptic are planning to experiment with the older ships and new ships with new design and it's possible that they can do it above.

Why not?

The Consitiution class, Excelsior, Ambassador, Miranda, Oberth, NX-class and the other ships who are not released yet like the New Orleans, Niagara and Freedom.

Yes they are old ships but when I see this ships in Star Trek Online and I am thinking afterwards .

"This is star trek for me" as I want it as everbody does and it what is comes next ahead of us like the rumors of a new playable faction to play a Romulan and many more news to come.

I am happy today to have the Ambassador ship and I enjoy it. Even also the other ships too.