test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Combat Logs

polie05polie05 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2013 in PvP Gameplay
So can we have updates combat logs already? We have been waiting 3 years Cryptic.
It would be nice if the combat logs would tell you what skills were used on you so you could learn and adapt.

From full shields to none. Why are all my timers running etc...

If that info is buried in the log maybe an option to make those lines a different color?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=127328
Post edited by polie05 on

Comments

• maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    id be happy if the damn log didnt flicker/twitch/try to auto scroll down when im trying to find the attack that killed me.

seriously.... why the hell does it do that?
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    maicake716 wrote: »
    id be happy if the damn log didnt flicker/twitch/try to auto scroll down when im trying to find the attack that killed me.

It's just a visual filter - the other stuff's still being logged. It's like the chat log moving up when nothing that you see is being said.

Would definitely be nifty if it didn't though - usually a case of doing a Ctrl-A/Ctrl-C and pasting it into notepad on the second screen...meh.

As for the logs showing more - those logs could get pretty big, pretty fast if they were showing everything, no? Cause it would be showing everything being used on everybody - everything that everybody's using... since we only have /combatlog 0 or /combatlog 1 and need to use a third party parser to take a look at what we did or what was done to us... plug-ins would have to be reworked to tackle the info on several levels.

Course, being able to do the copy/paste for the filtered in-game log (instead of the game written log) - something like that might work...depending on the buffer size of that window. It seems like a pretty healthy buffer though, no?
  • maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It's just a visual filter - the other stuff's still being logged. It's like the chat log moving up when nothing that you see is being said.

Would definitely be nifty if it didn't though - usually a case of doing a Ctrl-A/Ctrl-C and pasting it into notepad on the second screen...meh.

As for the logs showing more - those logs could get pretty big, pretty fast if they were showing everything, no? Cause it would be showing everything being used on everybody - everything that everybody's using... since we only have /combatlog 0 or /combatlog 1 and need to use a third party parser to take a look at what we did or what was done to us... plug-ins would have to be reworked to tackle the info on several levels.

Course, being able to do the copy/paste for the filtered in-game log (instead of the game written log) - something like that might work...depending on the buffer size of that window. It seems like a pretty healthy buffer though, no?

yeah but in the middle of agame where you're trying to figure out why you just died with full health and shields and you cant scroll.....

its a PITA!
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    How often do you get fragged when you're not sure how it happened though? Once a month? Once every few months?

But yeah, in regard to the scroll - I'm surprised there's no pause button there to stop the scrolling. That would definitely be helpful for all sorts of quick glances during those brief pauses in combat.
  • emoejoeemoejoe Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    maicake716 wrote: »

maybe u appreciate minimaxs skillz at copying and pasting from the rolling log alil more then maikai!!!!
  • renimaltrenimalt Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Are you talking about the in-game chat tab "combat log", or the combat log file that results from issuing the "/CombatLog 1" command? I would personally prefer updates to both, but I think the major problem that still stands is that these logs scroll by far too quickly to normally read them in the heat of battle, even when they're only reporting damage/heals, and Cryptic/PWE hasn't made their stance on real-time combat log parsers clear yet (which, imo, is what it would take to get usable feedback from the combat logs).

That being said, having more detail in the combat log would definitely be helpful. Seeing records of common abilities like SNB, FOMM, etc. being applied can help anybody to take apart a death and see where they can improve -- both on the attacking and defending sides.
    Resist viewer! See shield/hull resists! Read about it here!
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i want to see different accounting for hull hits and shield hits, a calculation of the resistance the target has that got hit, plasma fires and kinetic damage from a plasma torps having different entries, glider damage a separate entry, and all these passives noteing when they go off
  • captainhookerscaptainhookers Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Anyone have advice on reading the combat log? I cant seem to read a single thing it moves so darn fast! I wish there was a better system to review the damage being done.
  • emoejoeemoejoe Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Anyone have advice on reading the combat log? I cant seem to read a single thing it moves so darn fast! I wish there was a better system to review the damage being done.

first and foremost clear the check boxes so only your personal damage shows up. then wait till u are out of combat. stops rolling then. gl
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

there is, use this

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=6290261&postcount=14