test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to satisfy 'annoying' endgame TOS fans

Comments

• phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Or how about just adding a Constitution class holoemitter for say, 1 million latinum (or whatever amount is deemed appropriate)?
    (please note that holoemitters only last for a limited amount of use, 1 hour)

Why Cryptic would do it:
    1) No new ships need to be made so no work for them
    2) New item in latinum store, which many people have been looking for (the first new items in 2+ years were added last month with Winter Event)
    3) Contributes to reducing energy credit inflation (since the most common method of latinum is dabo, from EC)
    4) Satisfies TOS fans because they get to fly a "T5 Connie"
    5) Satisfies everyone else because it's not *really* a T5 Connie
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Eh, if TOS-heads think they have it bad, just imagine how diehard original Star Wars fans feel.

Maybe we can all get together and lament the misfortune of our birth.
    edited January 2013
    Or how about just adding a Constitution class holoemitter for say, 1 million latinum (or whatever amount is deemed appropriate)?
    (please note that holoemitters only last for a limited amount of use, 1 hour)

Why Cryptic would do it:
    1) No new ships need to be made so no work for them
    2) New item in latinum store, which many people have been looking for (the first new items in 2+ years were added last month with Winter Event)
    3) Contributes to reducing energy credit inflation (since the most common method of latinum is dabo, from EC)
    4) Satisfies TOS fans because they get to fly a "T5 Connie"

And then us old schoolers can never have money again. That's a terrible idea.
  • lasoniolasonio Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    (Sips tea)

Hmm is that Q I'm sensing over there some where lurking in the background?

Whatever the problem.... blame Q....

Car doesn't start? Q!
    Kinds have ADD? Q!

It's just sooo plausible
    Even god rested. No work ethic.
    edited January 2013
    cidstorm wrote: »
    And then us old schoolers can never have money again. That's a terrible idea.

Perhaps no T5 Connie ever is a better alternative to you?
  • commanderxoncommanderxon Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2013

That seems a little silly. Is that really your motivation to keep TOS ships out of the game? Would it somehow cheapen the quality of the game, or really make you want to quit in the disgust if you saw a larger classic ship flying around?

Oh and as long as op is listing off obscure old ships I'd like to add the ark royal and Yamato class ships from the star fleet command games, that Yamato class was a beast.

YES! The Yamato. Fond memories :D

The FASA ship recognition manual has some excellent models, as well, like this one that they call the 'Continent' class

http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/assaultship_continent.jpg

That think looks very, very mean, in my eyes.

I'd love to see some more obscure races from SFC/Star Fleet Battles, as well, but I know that's far less than likely. It would be great to have a new sector open up with a story arc about the Lyran/Hydran war, with the Mirak (or Kzinti, if you want to call them that :P) also appearing as a new enemy. If you had it is a proxy war, with the Klingons supporting the Lyrans and the Federation supporting the Hydrans, it could have a great TOS cold war feel to it....
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,862 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think trying to shoehorn TOS ships into T5 is not the right solution.

I would prefer new "ship costumes" for current era ships with a TOS aesthetic. Imagine the Ody but instead of all sleek curves it was all hard edges, geometric shapes, painted TOS white and sporting TOS style nacelles?

Or an Akira/HEC made in the TOS style.

They would be the ships we know today, with the same outlines... only using blockier, bulkier parts, painted TOS white and using the older style nacelles.

Something like these:

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2863&title=akira-class-thunderchild-tos-style&cat=501

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2864&title=akira-class-on-the-viewersir21&cat=501

My eyes...they burn!
    edited January 2013
    That seems a little silly. Is that really your motivation to keep TOS ships out of the game? Would it somehow cheapen the quality of the game, or really make you want to quit in the disgust if you saw a larger classic ship flying around?

My opinion on that matter is irrelevant since CBS has ruled out T5 Constitution class ships. Period. My suggestion is an alternative that will allow you the appearance of a Constitution class ship, on a Tier 5 ship of your choice in a way that Cryptic may actually get approval to use it.
    edited January 2013
    As I've said, I'm not advocating a Tier 5 Connie. I want a retro TOS battleship or supercruiser, which would be far less out-of-place among the battleships and supercruisers that make up T5 at the moment.

Additionally, for people who do want it - just because someone in power has said no to something it certainly doesn't mean that one should give up hope of achieving it :P

*ahem* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deq6_p47g54

What they've said is no to a T5 retro Connie, though, am I right? There's still a chance that they could make a T5 Cruiser, with Exeter or other modern skin.

As for your suggestion, the holo-emmitter thing would work, but I wouldn't want to pay through the nose for something that only lasts a bloody hour! I'd want it to be a permenant skin option.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Kirk1>Picard>Pike2>Kirk2>CKirk>Pike1>Archer>Janeway>Sisko...

As in...

TOS>TNG>JJTrek>TAS>Ent>VOY>DS9...

As far as TV. Movies? TOS>JJTrek>TNG (the bad outweighed the good, imo)...

The thing is, though, and I'm not sure why this is so often overlooked - but um...

The original Connie was gone with TMP.
    The refit was scheduled for decom at the end of Undiscovered.
    The Excelsior took over with Generations.

Generations...2293. It's ~2409. 116 years later.

The Connie entered service in the early 2240s, before 2245. Say we even go with 2245. It's ~2409. 164 years later.

It's not even really about the ship 164 years later. It was replaced 116 years ago. It was replaced during the TOS-movie timeline.

As a person that prefers TOS, yeah - I'd love to be flying around in a TOS-era designed game. It's not. It's not a TNG, not a VOY, not a DS9 era game. It's STO...

Much like Kirk went from the ol' Connie to the refit to the retrofit...and much like his comments about the Enterprise-B not being the Enterprise without a Sulu at the helm - the spirit of the Enterprise was not because it was a Connie - because it was an Excelsior - an Ambassador - a Galaxy - a Sovereign or even the Odyssey... Star Trek was about much more than just the ship.

The Connie's not missing from endgame in STO. The Connie was replaced long ago. No, what's missing from the endgame in STO...well, Star Trek is...
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Technically, it was never stated anywhere that the Constitution class as a whole was being retired; the Enterprise may simply have been decommissioned due to wear and tear.

We also don't know that the Excelsior was meant as a replacement for the Connie; the two classes may well have continued serving alongside each other in different roles.

Lastly, we don't know for a fact that the Connie refit was universal; it's not uncommon for ships to be put in mothballs against some future need. Such ships may well have skipped the refit, due to it being too much trouble and expense for ships that are not in active service.

It's possible to rationalize just about anything, if you put a little effort into it. ;)
  • captiandata1captiandata1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i know that starfleet still uses the nx desination for experimental ships and ships with exerimental tech.

earth also had a hole ship class nx class in the 2150's from star trek enterprise.
  • captiandata1captiandata1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i was going be star trek enterprise show it self about the enterprise being called the NX class
    edited January 2013
    capnmanx wrote: »
    Technically, it was never stated anywhere that the Constitution class as a whole was being retired; the Enterprise may simply have been decommissioned due to wear and tear.

We also don't know that the Excelsior was meant as a replacement for the Connie; the two classes may well have continued serving alongside each other in different roles.

Enterprise was a flagship ship. With the move from the Constitution to the Excelsior, the Excelsior replaced the Constitution as the flagship ship. Doesn't mean that all Constitution vessels were automatically decommissioned. Some would have continued in their current roles until replaced, some would have served in other roles, etc, etc, etc. Starfleet couldn't just wave a magic wand and replace all their ships.

Even there, the lower production costs and operating expenses of the Miranda better suited the majority of the secondary roles that a Constitution might have found itself in...it would have been illogical to continue manufacturing the class.

Moving along into the TNG+ timeline, we know that certain higher ranked Starfleet officers continued to use Excelsior class vessels as their "personal" flagships. Constitution vessels on the other hand...?
    Lastly, we don't know for a fact that the Connie refit was universal; it's not uncommon for ships to be put in mothballs against some future need. Such ships may well have skipped the refit, due to it being too much trouble and expense for ships that are not in active service.

Obviously unless needed, there would have been ships that would not have been refit. There were newer ships as well as ships with less operating expenditures where those resources would have been better allocated.

Likewise, ships that were mothballed may have been cannibalized for parts - stripped for raw resources - or simply crashed into an ocean on some water planet to create artificial reefs...
    It's possible to rationalize just about anything, if you put a little effort into it. ;)

Rationalization is often a defense/coping mechanism for when somebody is unwilling or unable to accept the reality of a situation, the potential consequences of decision, or to try to justify something...where they need to put that effort into it.
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    And the reality is that both versions of the Connie are in STO; which means they obviously weren't completely withdrawn from service. I have no good explanation for this either; hence 'rationalize'.

If we are reaching for explanations, we may as well go ahead and say something like 'advances in technology since the Constitution refit have made the refit itself redundant; allowing for previously obsolete designs to be upgraded to modern standards without going to the trouble of rebuilding the ship from the keel up'. Since we don't really have a good reason to assume that this couldn't possibly be the case.
  • silverashes1silverashes1 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As I've said, I'm not advocating a Tier 5 Connie. I want a retro TOS battleship or supercruiser, which would be far less out-of-place among the battleships and supercruisers that make up T5 at the moment.

Additionally, for people who do want it - just because someone in power has said no to something it certainly doesn't mean that one should give up hope of achieving it :P

*ahem* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deq6_p47g54

What they've said is no to a T5 retro Connie, though, am I right? There's still a chance that they could make a T5 Cruiser, with Exeter or other modern skin.

As for your suggestion, the holo-emmitter thing would work, but I wouldn't want to pay through the nose for something that only lasts a bloody hour! I'd want it to be a permenant skin option.

most awsome post ever. maybe it should have a regenerating timer and cost more?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Enterprise was just another alternate universe with Archer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    age03 wrote: »
    Enterprise was just another alternate universe with Archer.

Says who?/10chars
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited January 2013

This is precisely my angle - I'm not trying to say that an intergalactic spacefleet would REALISTICALLY use a piece of tech designed 160 years ago. I'm trying to think of a semi-realistic excuse to involve a ship design which I like in a video game. Like I've said, STO forces you to suspend your Trek disbelief, sometimes. Starfleet would not in reality be made up 50% by Vice Admirals, which it has come to be on STO. Not would it realistically have a system whereby officers had to purchase their own ships, and swap tech in and out. They have shipyards for that. Starfleet's apparently got very lax with it's uniform code in the 25th century, as well - if the modern Royal Navy allowed the same sort of thing then you'd have officers dressed like Nelson serving with officers dressed like Jackie Fisher serving with officers dressed in modern blacks.

I'm not saying it needs to be realistic, I'm trying to say I want it, and so do many other players, and there are some reasonably plausible excuses that could be used for why a retro ship could still be present in 2409, in game. Like the many excuses that I and other people here have offered.

Picard once said that "Things are only impossible until they're not..." I would add that things are only unrealistic until they are made real.

I would much rather be flying around in a Federation-class (brought back due to some need for it's firepower) or a Defender class (having remained in the fleet as a ceremonial/diplomatic ship) or something else along the same lines - those are just my suggestions - and if not that, then a Tier 5 Constitution class fleet retrofit. But if none of that happens, the holoemmitter idea would suffice. So long as it was a permenant skin change or ship device that I didn't have to keep topping up like a greedy jukebox. I'm not made of money! But I would be much more likely to pay a large fee for a good retro T5 ship.
    edited January 2013
    For those who think the constitution class was decommissioned, you are incorrect. The wreckage of one is seen at the battle of wolf 359, and you should feel terrible about dismissing it's sacrifice. :P

We are not being pushy or outlandish, we are just want to give cryptic our money.

And about the hologram option, that would be a terrible insult. For every video someone wanted to make, or for every fantasy someone wanted to experience, you would have to spend an hour or more at the dabo tables. That sounds like torture to me, it would kill your doffing schedule and drain your wallet. If you think ec is worthless you have been playing forever or you don't want to use amazing pvp builds.
  • utilyanutilyan Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    At least push for a T-4 Connie/exeter. That would be enough.

They say NO T-5......fine give us T-4.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    utilyan wrote: »
    At least push for a T-4 Connie/exeter. That would be enough.

They say NO T-5......fine give us T-4.

I think a fleet Exeter (or whichever is the modern looking one) would be a fine way to get in a Connie at endgame.... so long as the connie fans were willing to bend a little. Sadly I think the cries for a full TOS T5 connie would not stop.
    edited January 2013
    For those who think the constitution class was decommissioned, you are incorrect. The wreckage of one is seen at the battle of wolf 359, and you should feel terrible about dismissing it's sacrifice. :P

We are not being pushy or outlandish, we are just want to give cryptic our money.

And about the hologram option, that would be a terrible insult. For every video someone wanted to make, or for every fantasy someone wanted to experience, you would have to spend an hour or more at the dabo tables. That sounds like torture to me, it would kill your doffing schedule and drain your wallet. If you think ec is worthless you have been playing forever or you don't want to use amazing pvp builds.

:D

I'm possibly stealing your signature now. SOLIDARITY!
    edited January 2013

Obviously they need to make dabo allow for higher stakes. But since $25 for a C-Store ship or the ~$80-250 for a lock box ship are not viable for a Constitution class at least, it would be a possibility.
    edited January 2013
    :D

I'm possibly stealing your signature now. SOLIDARITY!

:o

Phyrexion, yeah it might be nice if they messed with the dabbo/holo rules. Most ftp rental systems are a lot more approachable.

Maybe all the ships cost millions in gpl because you're not supposed to play non fed ships often, and any fed ships added wouldn't suffer from that burden.
    edited January 2013
    For those who think the constitution class was decommissioned, you are incorrect. The wreckage of one is seen at the battle of wolf 359, and you should feel terrible about dismissing it's sacrifice.

Yep, the last Connie...blown up 42 years ago. People should remember her sacrifice.
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yep, the last Connie...blown up 42 years ago. People should remember her sacrifice.

Yep, most likely full of cadets on a training exercise, too.

I've always thought of that Connie as a ship that was kept functional for use as hands on starship operations training that got thrown at the cube in a last ditch act of desperation.
    edited January 2013

I liked how you used the time stamp of a sto perspective, a universe where the Connie is still all over the place.
    edited January 2013
    hravik wrote: »
    Yep, most likely full of cadets on a training exercise, too.

I've always thought of that Connie as a ship that was kept functional for use as hands on starship operations training that got thrown at the cube in a last ditch act of desperation.

The admiral who speaks to Picard never mentions using any out of service ships, he in fact states that they are being recalled into the area. If they were really so desperate for fighting forces they would have brought those scout ships you see get blown up by mars.

There were only forty ships in the wolf 359 fleet. That's a paltry count compared to what star fleet is really capable of.
    edited January 2013
    I liked how you used the time stamp of a sto perspective, a universe where the Connie is still all over the place.

At T2...where it's undergone 164 years of refits and retrofits to still be around. :)

C'mon, if somebody wanted to be tricky and get an endgame Connie in the game - it wouldn't be as a "T5" ship. It wouldn't be there with the other RA/VA ships.

No, the enterprising advocate would suggest it as a Fleet T5. After all, Fleet vessels are built by the individual fleets at their starbases. They're not something being built by Starfleet or the Federation. Because neither Starfleet nor the Federation would be building RA/VA versions of the ship...

...kind of like, you know - the other Fleet ships that neither Starfleet nor the Federation would be building at the RA/VA level. Yet, individual fleets are building them at their starbases.

Cryptic created that problem...players wanting an endgame Connie should exploit it.

They shouldn't expect that either Starfleet or the Federation would be building them at a RA/VA level...nor have any they've refit to that level...what individual fleets build though, well - that's a different story, right?