test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to satisfy 'annoying' endgame TOS fans

commanderxoncommanderxon Member Posts: 16 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Federation Discussion
Bear with me - this is not a Connie fetish post.

I am an Original Series fan. I am also, newly, a Vice Admiral. I want to combine those two facts and command a good endgame ship with a 23rd Century aesthetic.

From a brief read through this board I can see that this isn't a very popular idea among most players, especially those who favour ultra-modern 25th century ergonomics - I can understand why, and I agree that an endgame Constitution class ship wouldn't make very much sense sense. It would be quite annoying to be flying around in an Odyssey class only to have your kills stolen by a ship built when your ship's designer's great-great-grandfather was still in preschool.

Realistically, Starfleet wouldn't be comissioning such vintage ships. But I've always found that you need to suspend your disbelief a little, with STO, when it comes to ship classes, uniforms and many other things. Obviously the available ships in STO are largely based on what Star Trek fans want to fly rather than what the Federation would realistically be using in the 25th Century - I wouldn't enjoy the game at all if the fleet was comprised entirely of sleek, nonspecific, futuristic designs and none of my favourite ships, uniforms, or races from the series and films were available to play. And I don't just mean TOS. The game has to be in a sort of nonspecific limbo between all of the series that fans love, in order to try and satisfy everyone - the actual year doesn't really matter all that much, and as long as there's some meagre attempt at an excuse for why older tech is still in the game then that's enough to satisfy me.

I'm not advocating it - but if Cryptic were to stick an endgame Connie in the game then I'm sure they could think of a good enough excuse for why Starfleet brought the design back. Perhaps the retro analogue duotronic computer technology has proven to be resistent to Borg nanoviruses, perhaps the unpredictable old-style warp drive can be used to create artifical wormholes like the one we see in The Motion Picture, perhaps it's been discovered that retro blue phasers are more effective than modern phasers against giant malovelent purple space energy beings, etc. etc. My point is that even if the reintroduction of such an old ship wouldn't make any sense in a real spacefleet, it could be done convincingly enough for the ship not to stick out like a sore thumb.

But I agree that the line has to be drawn somewhere, and (as much as I love the Connie) I don't want to fly a Tier 5 Constitution class ship.

I do, however, have a few ideas as to what I would like to fly.

I'm a huge fan of the original series, but my main area of enthusiasm for it is actually the extended universe - the really old book and comic book series, some of them written in the 1960s, and the online world that evolved around them, including the community of ship designers and nerds who are as in love with the original, retro aesthetic as I am. Over the years there have been some quite interesting ships depicted which I think - if included in STO - would seem marginally less out-of-place than a full Tier 5 Connnie.

[*]'Constellation' class -

We know the Constellation class best from TNG, where it's still a fairly sweet-looking ship, but as with many other 'Lost Era' and movie era ships, artists and amateurs have had fun depicting a 'pre-refit' version. A Constellation class with a 2260s aesthetic was featured in a TOS comic and described as the prototype of a top-secret class. Either in it's pre-refit form or looking as it did in 'The Battle', the Constellation class would be a nice addition to the game: if we're looking for a reason why Starfleet has returned the class into service then we need look no further than it's fairly distinctive engines. The same sort of sketchy 'unstable old warp drive means we can do neat things with wormholes or time warps or whatever' logic would apply here too, and the inclusion of the Picard Maneuver would be great. Perhaps the ship could make short warp jumps during space combat, either to get in on the action, to flee from danger, or just to get you to the next mission marker quicker. And as a special ability, temporary invisibility and the ability to leave a ghost-image of your ship to confuse the enemy, allowing you to avoid their fire or easily flank them. If that doesn't seem like a good enough reason for the admiralty to put the ship back in service then perhaps it has been brought back to fill it's old role of long-range exploration - Starfleet's war on various fronts probably means that they can't dedicate as many ships as they'd like to exploratory roles, and so it could be tasked as a long-distance explorer.

[*]'Federation' class -

Featured in several TOS books and comics as a top-secret, terrifyingly powerful ship - Captain Kirk and a great many ordinary Federation citizens get quite alarmed when they discover that the Starfleet has been building a fully-fledged space battleship with quite so much firepower. Memory Beta has it that 'the original design concept of the dreadnought was to include more capabilities but only a minimal increase in firepower over Constitutions. This was found to be inadequate after other powers began fielding dreadnoughts that reflected a 50% increase in firepower over their respective heavy cruisers. Each late-23rd century Starfleet fleet and Starfleet task force was usually commanded by an admiral in a dreadnought, but during peacetime the dreadnought is usually docked at a starbase because it is too expensive to operate.' The TOS novel 'Dreadnaught' features a Federation class that has been overhauled by a mad admiral to become even more powerful - equipped with a wide variety of secret weapons. Recent comics have hinted that the class was authorised (or at least operated by) flag officers who had connections to Section 31. It was also the basis of the 'All Good Things' Enteprise refit - i.e. a modification of the series' primary vessel with three nacelles and added firepower.

I've always liked how the ship is depicted as being scarily powerful, and how it is connected with rogue Admirals and secret elements of Starfleet Intelligence. If not just for it's pure firepower (I imagine that an extremley heavily-armed 23rd ship would probably have about the same firepower as a normal 24th century ship, rather than being outclassed by it) then perhaps Starfleet have decided to reinstate the Federation class dreadnaught because they have finally found a just cause to use it's secret arsenal - some sort of terrifying weapon created by Starfleet or Section 31 in the 2260s. The Original Series provides many candidates for this sort of weaponry. Perhaps our universe had it's own version of the Tantalus Field that is depicted in TOS 'Mirror Mirror': as a special ship weapon it could be activated to make entire enemy ships disappear in the blink of an eye (though obviously it would have to have a fairly lengthy recharge period to make up for it!). In Voyager, it is revealed that Starfleet began experimenting with the Omega molecule during the 2260s, and in the books this is also revealed to have been the work of S31. The ability to rend space apart with huge subspace damage like that would also make up for the fact that the ship is getting a little old. I imagine a scaled down version of the sort of firepower that we see in the recent (excellent) fanfilm 'Of Gods and Men', where the AU version of the Federation has got into a habit of blowing up rebellious planets.

The ship design also includes a through-deck hangar, meaning that the Federation class could easily be a fighter-carrier (in my perfect world they would be TOS-era fighters, or possibly combat troop shuttles, but I won't test my luck).

[*]'Defender' class -

My favourite Star Trek author, Diane Duane, describes a huge starship class in several of her books which sounds like such a longlasting ship that Starfleet would always be able to find a role for it. It may be unlikely that a ship would be directly put into the game from such an old and obscure source, but the Vesta and Lunar classes have been included from outside the regular canon, so it's always a possibility. Because the ship has never been seen, it would also allow Cryptic to make the design themselves - making it appealing and congruous whilst still looking suitably retro.

The Defender class is variously called a battlecruiser, a supercuiser, a heavy explorer and a heavy destroyer on different ocassions, and basically seems to be a mobile fleet headquarters mixed with a huge warship.It might, for this reason, make a good Admiral's flagship for if we ever see players commanding small squadrons of ships. The Defender had "a primary hull three times as large and four engine nacelles each twice as long as a Constitution-class starship, and the engineering hull was described as being a mile long and a quarter mile in diameter. The class was also said to carry more power and armament than any three starships combined, and had been built large to carry a lot of people on very long hauls." From it's size, it seems like it would fit in among other T5 ships.

The main 'Defender' class ship that we encounter seems to have been used mainly as a diplomatic cruiser, and I enjoy the idea of a ship big enough to comfortable house negotiations and peace summits, perhaps with facilities like Class-J Starbases are purported to have in the 'Vanguard' books. This has made me wonder if the ship could be a reward for players who have excelled in the diplomatic core - as sort of ceremonial ship. The original HMS Victory is, after all, still the flagship of the Royal Navy's First Sea Lord. As a special ability, perhaps it could negotiate with enemy ships - apart from the Klingons, Romulans, and main antagonists, and not with enemy ships in misions. It would be nice to be able to do things the way GROD would have wanted it and not have to blow up every single pirate ship we come accross, or the mostly harmless species that you have to fight in some exploration missions.

Another feature of the Duane books is the concept of 'superphasers' and 'megaphasers', amusingly named but extremley powerful and usually used by Romulan supercruisers. The Defender class seems like a good candidate to have the same armament - perhaps it's entire foreward armament would be a single heavy 'dual beam' version of the retro blue phaser, with a 360 or 180 degree firing arc?

I would love to have the oppurtunity to fly a retro-looking ship that had endgame hull strength and a good number of high-ranking console slots, but wich also made slightly more sense than an endgame Connie. Any of these ships would not have to have the same weapon or hull strength as other Tier 5 ships - they could have some of the stats of T4 ships to compensate for the fact of how old they are, but then make up for it with their retro special abilities.

Just food for thought - I hope even the ultramodernist, model 25th century Starfleet officers will allow a veteran old Star Fleeter like me to indulge my fantasies ;)
    Post edited by commanderxon on

Comments

• deaconltcdeaconltc Member Posts: 8 Arc User
      edited January 2013
      Well, I don't think your idea is going to receive a warm welcome exactly, but personally I'd love to fly back in the TOS/TMP days. I was an old Starfleet Battles dabbler and that era will always be my favorite.

I have thought a lot about the TOS battle on the forums and can certainly understand both sides.

What I would really love to see is an "Extended Universe" in STO. Dream up some reason to go back in time, perhaps through the Guardian of Forever to right some wrong in the timeline, to the TOS period. From there, develop some endgame missions where ONLY TOS ships can be flown. Sell the TOS ships on the Z Store (money for Cryptic and stupidly easy to kitbash old Franz Joseph designs), minimize somewhat the Connies blasting around in the modern timeline (appeals to timeline purists), and give TOSers (and even TMPers if you want to do multiple timelines) exactly what they have been looking for...the chance to fly the Connie in its heyday.

Seems like it's win/win/win as long as CBS signs off. I would think that the alternate timeline and segregating the ships in to their respective eras would avoid huge continuity gaffes and the whole "traveling back in a modern ship to save the Enterprise" has already been established in the STO timeline.

Wishful thinking I know, but honestly seems like a missed opportunity to make some quick cash, settle a feud, and release fun and relatively easy content all at the same time.

Deacon
    • commanderxoncommanderxon Member Posts: 16 Arc User
      edited January 2013
      I like that - would you allow players to use their TOS ships outside of the TOS missions, or would you completley segregate between past and future?

Of course my own ideal scenario would be if the entire game was set during the 2270s, around the time that the TOS elements were going out and the TMP/TWOK elements were coming in :D But obviously that's not the solution here and I wouldn't want STO to jump several centuries back in time.

Another possibility would be something like the Typhon Expanse in 'Cause and Effect' - but rather than just the Bozeman coming through, a whole TOS-era fleet ends up stuck in the future. That or they were displaced through space several centuries ago and their descendants have only just been found, or just lost in subspace somewhere. Perhaps ships can't pass through the void, requiring you to use older vessels that they have at their disposal. Anyway, bringing them forward means there's far less pollution of the 23rd century timeline. I like the idea of them setting up a little miniature Federation using their 23rd Century tech, meaning you could do missions for them and earn rewards. Then Cryptic could release the ships for C-Store. I've only made two fairly cheap purchases so far (a TMP uniform and the retro Connie, which is sadly completley unusable in endgame) but I'd probably be tempted to splash out a great deal more if there were classic ships on the market.

Anyone at CBS reading this and willing to bring it up in a meeting, just for me? :P
    • captiandata1captiandata1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited January 2013
      it is war time and starfleet and starfleet need a cilvian fleet able to defend the freighter fleet so staffleet calls all federation cilvians that has a that have classic ships tos era, tmp ships, an nx era ships or can blue prints of classis. some federation cilviana are willing to join stafleet directly and the most loyal freighter cews are not willing to join star fleet directly but want to help fight to keep the freight supply lines open and defended but the freighter need more cover defencive fire power then most federarion freighter have. starfleet offerizes that the cilvian to operate to use and build any old starfleet class with limited restrictions to tier weapons and have teir 5 halls.

also have one classic ship from each class be dissplaced into the future from the past. theses crews and starfleet crew on these classic tos/tmp, nx era are good captians and crews but are not up to date with current starfleet rules and regulations of star trek online in 2409 but could be useful freighter defence force and freighter cilvian training ships, builing new classic starships/freighters and even as starfleet for new cadets. while giving the captains and crews to learn curren regulations starfleet.

as the war continues the cilvian freighter and freight defence fleet a long with the class starfleet crew and officer read the war efford reports and therorized that the old duetronic style computer could be adapted to be the borg so they petationed starfleet command to go to the front lines of the war. starfleet said no. so the cilvians upgraded ther class federation an dclassic starfleet ships to tier 5 hall strength with tier 3 weapons and holo emitters to mak the ships blend in to the actural starfleet ships to the front lines. in the battles the holo emitter failed but the newer actual starfleet crew and borg were surprised that all the class freighter defence force ship were there and doing better in the battle then both the borg and newer starfleet ships combined. the borg tried to assimulate the classic starfleet ships but the duetronic computer system proved in battle that they could no be adapted to by the borg. before the borg out right destroyed the lead cilvian class federation classic starship the the starfleet captian beamed all of his crew to other starfleet ships. he then set a ramming course into the borg tactical ship but was destroyed before the ship rammed into the borg ship. with all of the borg tactial ship systems down and major hall damage from the destroyed federation classic starfleet freighter defence force ship combined with the overloaded warp core and impule engines. the rest of the cilvian crews on the cilvian freighter defence force were so loyal to their lost captain and lost cilvian freighter/defence ship that they fired evey thing they had into the damaged borg tactial ship destroying it without the newer starfleet ships help.
    • captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
      edited January 2013
      I would personally buy John Van Citters a cow and cook it myself to change his mind about the 'No T5 connie' BS he's pulled since STO came out.

Like my fanpage!
      https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
    • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
      edited January 2013
      I like and prefer the ToS and TMP era over all.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
      USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
      Star Trek Gamers
    • helixsunbringerhelixsunbringer Member Posts: 249 Arc User
      edited January 2013
      Perhaps the retro analogue duotronic computer technology has proven to be resistent to Borg nanoviruses

Despite whatever else you may have said, this cannot be a plausible reason for bringing the constitution class back. The reason I say this is because the Borg Nanovirus' proved effective against the U.S.S. Enterprise NX-01, as such they would be just as effective when used against the far less advanced (by appearances anyways) computer systems of the Constitution Class Starships from the Original Series. Granted those systems were supposed to be more advanced by a century, but they looked less advanced when you get right down to it.
    • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
      edited January 2013
      Granted those systems were supposed to be more advanced by a century, but they looked less advanced when you get right down to it.

That's like saying this looks more advanced than this.
      NJ9oXSO.png
      "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
      -Thomas Marrone
    • captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
      edited January 2013

Oh look an opinion on the internet over something none-relevant.

Like my fanpage!
      https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
      edited January 2013
      Oh look an opinion on the internet over something none-relevant.

You're right. The appearance and respective technologies of the NX and Constitution classes is irrelevant for this thread. I apologize.

I would like to see a TOS version of the Constellation and Miranda classes; however I think any TOS-looking ships will look a bit out-of-place at endgame. I think they should be reserved to Tier 1 and maybe 2 at the most.
      NJ9oXSO.png
      "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
      -Thomas Marrone
      edited January 2013

well technically you have it backwards. The NX-01 was built around a century before the NCC-1701, so actually the systems on the NCC-1701 are supposed to be more advanced as far as the In-Universe Canon is concerned. However as an outside observer they appear less advanced in the Original Series than the NX-01's tech. But then again the Original Series was made during the 60's while the TV Series entitled Enterprise was made during the early 2000's. However, if you were to include the J.J. Abrams version of the Constitution Class Enterprise, then that definitely looks more advanced than the NX-01. But then we don't have that version of the Constitution Class in our game XD

P.S. I wouldn't mind a Tier 5 Constitution Class, but only if the Tier 5 Constitution Class happens to be the J.J. Abrams version of it, complete with the Movies Ship Interior.
      edited January 2013
      well technically you have it backwards. The NX-01 was built around a century before the NCC-1701, so actually the systems on the NCC-1701 are supposed to be more advanced as far as the In-Universe Canon is concerned. However as an outside observer they appear less advanced in the Original Series than the NX-01's tech.

That's exactly what I meant. If the NX-01 looks more advanced, that's just because it was older and more functional (like a steam train) whereas the Constitution was sleeker and more futuristic-looking (like a modern train).

I never really liked the Abramsprise. Though I guess I wouldn't ragequit if it got in.
      NJ9oXSO.png
      -Thomas Marrone
    • captiandata1captiandata1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited January 2013
      earth nx class did have more advance tooking tech the tos tech but certainly earht unuted starfleet want not as advanced at tos tech. duetronics were not developed til the 2230's and 2240's and push buttons. maybe it was only earth starfleet had the more advanced earth looking tech then toss and matbe few but not all cargo ships crew build their own more advanced displays as they went throught their travel routes. but the bulk of earth contributations to te federation fleet came from the earth cargo service with lesser tech then earth starfleet own ships and vulcans held earth back a lot too. how much would the vulcans have tried to hold back the federation from reaching higher. the nx fleet seemed to be too young to be at about 10 or 11 years old in 2261. the nx class was more advanced earth ships then the deadulas class ships came out in about 2156 then in shield tech. maybe the nx class fleet was to be the prototype class for duetronics til about 2230's and 2240's if vulcan would have allowed earth to have shield on the nx fleet when they were being built maybe the nx fleet would have been able to defeat the romulans with out the need for deadulas class.

with mass fleet building of ships some tech went back wards for a while
      edited January 2013
      captiandata1, you realize that the NX designation was still in use as of the time of Deep Space 9? And it probably is still in use to day. All the NX designation does is indicate that a ship is a prototype. In otherwords prior to being shipped out to War (while it was still under development) the Defiant probably had the NX designation as it was in fact the prototype for all Defiant Class Starships and therefore the testbed for all of the technology that would be utilized on said ships.

In fact the Noble Class Assault Cruiser on the cover of Star Trek Online: The Needs of the Many has the registry number NX-91001, and it is one of the ships that is present in the Ships of the Line Articles that were released in conjunction with this game. And since the Ships of the Line Articles count as Canon Articles, the NX-91001 is an official ship.

In otherwords, the NX designation from Enterprise, is not a class of ships. Rather it is a designation (just like NCC, ACV, AVG, AVT, CV, CVA, CVAN, CVB, CVE, CVGH, CVH, CVHE, CVL, CVN, CVS, CVV and various others from around the world and various fictional stories). And as such it can be applied to multiple types of ships. Heck, the NCC designation alone can be applied to virtually any and all active Starfleet vessels.
    • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
      edited January 2013
      To be fair there are 2409 versions of the constitution class.

The excalibur, vesper, and exeter are all new designs based on the constitution.

http://www.stowiki.org/Cruiser_Refit

Any one of those skins would make a t5 connie paletable for even the most zelous "its too old" whiner.

If it happened I would make it like this...

35,000 Hull
      1.0 shield mod
      4/4 weapons
      9.5 degree turn rate
      50 intertia
      400 crew
      0.15 impulse mod
      +5 to all sub systems
      4/3/2 consoles
      3 device slots

CMDR eng
      LTC sci
      LT tac x2
      ENS eng.

For a special console I'd give it somthing that replects the vespers description a little better. Like some kind of subsystem power booster.
      As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
    • alonthegreatalonthegreat Member Posts: 6 Arc User
      edited January 2013
      well the exter kinda looks like the abrams connie. i guess ty can work the interior as well and it will fit 2409
    • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
      edited January 2013
      I think trying to shoehorn TOS ships into T5 is not the right solution.

I would prefer new "ship costumes" for current era ships with a TOS aesthetic. Imagine the Ody but instead of all sleek curves it was all hard edges, geometric shapes, painted TOS white and sporting TOS style nacelles?

Or an Akira/HEC made in the TOS style.

They would be the ships we know today, with the same outlines... only using blockier, bulkier parts, painted TOS white and using the older style nacelles.

Something like these:

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2863&title=akira-class-thunderchild-tos-style&cat=501

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2864&title=akira-class-on-the-viewersir21&cat=501
    • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
      edited January 2013
      Never feel like you are being annoying by asking about tier 5 era specific ships. These threads are rare, they have been for over a year anyways.

The most important thing to remember is that a ships age means nothing to sto technology. If they can fit tier 5 tech into a defiant or jem hadar bug, they can fit it into a Connie.

I have set money aside so that I can get a life time membership when they release the tier 5 Connie refit.

CBS and PWE are both corporations, they won't pass up the money this could make for them, both in sales and securing customer loyalty. It's probably being saved for a cold day.
      :)
    • ebeneezergoodeebeneezergoode Member Posts: 227 Arc User
      edited January 2013
      Despite whatever else you may have said, this cannot be a plausible reason for bringing the constitution class back. The reason I say this is because the Borg Nanovirus' proved effective against the U.S.S. Enterprise NX-01, as such they would be just as effective when used against the far less advanced (by appearances anyways) computer systems of the Constitution Class Starships from the Original Series. Granted those systems were supposed to be more advanced by a century, but they looked less advanced when you get right down to it.

Not necessarily. In the Romulan War era books (not canon as such, but good none the less), they explained the more advanced look of the NX over the Connie away quite well, in that they had to "back track" their computer interfaces and networking designs so they'd prove resistant to Romulan tele-capture devices which enabled them to hack another ships systems and assume control over it. The TOS style bridge interfaces were the result.

Now I'm not a TOS Connie advocate, not at tier 5, but I do find that this is as close to an "elite" setting as you can have in a lot of the regular story missions too, I still dust it off now and again. Were it to be implemented however, I'd imagine something that would be to cruisers what a BOP is to escorts. More flexible, more agile, but with less hit points and less boff slots, entirely unspecialised.

As for endgame 23rd Century aesthetic, there is always the Excelsior, and it now comes in fleet form with 4 tactical consoles (nom!).
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • commanderxoncommanderxon Member Posts: 16 Arc User
      edited January 2013

They would be the ships we know today, with the same outlines... only using blockier, bulkier parts, painted TOS white and using the older style nacelles.

Something like these:

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2863&title=akira-class-thunderchild-tos-style&cat=501

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2864&title=akira-class-on-the-viewersir21&cat=501

Now THAT would satisfy me! That Akira looks alot like the old FASA Loknar class, designed waaay before th Akira or the NX.

I've always liked this design, as well -

http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/17/files2/109599_1.jpg

P.S. I wouldn't mind a Tier 5 Constitution Class, but only if the Tier 5 Constitution Class happens to be the J.J. Abrams version of it, complete with the Movies Ship Interior.

That would surely just be even less lausible than 'prime' universe ships getting in? The Abramsprise never even existed in the prime reality, there's no way that the two universes could somehow meet up and exchange tech! I like the design, but I would be quite annoyed if they tried to include it. Unless it was just an optional skin, and I could choose a TOS or TMP skin if I wanted to.

I like that analogy. And old steamtrains are still useful in cold weather, after all. Everything old has it's uses!
    • silverashes1silverashes1 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
      edited January 2013
      solution= holo emitters for TOS connie and refit connie
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • silverashes1silverashes1 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
      edited January 2013

I would prefer new "ship costumes" for current era ships with a TOS aesthetic. Imagine the Ody but instead of all sleek curves it was all hard edges, geometric shapes, painted TOS white and sporting TOS style nacelles?

Something like these:

ok im not a huge akira fan but that is some truly awsome pics is there a galaxy or sov one?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      edited January 2013
      solution= holo emitters for TOS connie and refit connie

That's actually a really good idea.
      NJ9oXSO.png
      -Thomas Marrone
    • corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
      edited January 2013
      Holo emitter is a great idea, but you know that it would only last 60 minutes. Honestly, I can't understand how one can argue the continuous existence of the excelsior class but not the connie?!?

As much as I love this game I also find it extremely limiting in many ways; choice of ships to use regularly is one example. If you look at games like Starfleet Academy, etc... from bygone eras now there was no such limitations; you could play as any faction you so chose; and as for weapon and console slots - it was like Christmas morning all over again. Fire all weapons had an entirely different meaning.

Anyways, just saying I love the Connie and am sad I cannot use it for all my space faring missions. Have you guys heard of Star Trek Renegades? Stars Alan Ruck, and several other famous actors from all over the Trek universe. Their explanation for using the original TOS connie was that the weapons were upgraded making the ship a threat to be dealt with even if hull strength was over forty years old. Neat idea....
      "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
    • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
      edited January 2013
      It might be nice to bring an old ToS DN or BB out of service but no CAs or BCHAs.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
      USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
      Star Trek Gamers
    • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
      edited January 2013

Something like these:

Agreed. There really is nothing to say that sometime between 'Nemesis' and 2409 there couldn't have been a generation of ships that looked retro to modern eyes. Being more high tech doesn't always require something be sleeker, shinier, and with more greebles and glowy bits, than what came before.
    • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,662 Arc User
      edited January 2013
      i think just having the movie enterprise sensor and engines option for the sovereign class would make me a happy girl.
      We Want Vic Fontaine
    • unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
      edited January 2013
      As I've said before in multiple "T5 [Insert era-specific ship here] plskthnx" threads, I'm willing to accept a T5, say, Constellation...IF it were a skin for the existing Heavy Cruiser Retrofit, a T5 Starbase ship. It already exists anyway, and several other Fleet-version ships have an exclusive skin (Fleet DSSV, Fleet Star Cruiser, etc.), so in essence it's just adding something that it needs anyway. The Constellation and Cheyenne are similar enough in structure and makeup that a retro/semi-retro skin wouldn't be tough to justify. Hell, there's already a "constellation" skin for the default HC, but it doesn't look much like the Picard Maneuver original.

Also, while a T5 TOS Connie is out of the question (blame CBS), I'd probably accept a T5 "Cruiser" (the Excalibur, Exeter, etc.) version, since there's already a T5 Escort and a T5 Science Vessel. May as well bring it over. And as someone mentioned, the Exeter skin is conspicuously similar to the Abrams version of the Enterprise anyway.

But the T5 Miranda....hmmm. I'd only accept THAT if a 4th, 25th-century-style skin were made for it. It's already kind of a ripoff that the Fleet Excelsior has no 3rd skin (limited to the original + movie skins), so it's adding value to match existing ships.
    • lasoniolasonio Member Posts: 490 Arc User
      edited January 2013
      lol you guys make it seem like it would be hard to make future and past ships collide, we venture into the past all the time on this game and maybe into a the future and the easiest way to solve it all is to just simply BLAME Q, whenever something weird happens he is at the heart of it or somewhere in the background.

Personally I think the ship is hidious but theor are a lot that like the TOS ships i mean jebus thos things are ugly...

I like THG ships but no mater how you slice it dice it cut it in quarters a cruiser will always take a back seat to an escort so why not give people what they want and make up some weird Q based fan fiction as to why it's doing this or that.

Heck aren't the Undine infiltrators? Can't they cause a rift in the solidarity of the federation and cause a civil war as to why these old ships are then refitted and retro fitted with the top of the line sensors and weapons and improved armor because they have no choice but to be used. IT would be nice to turn Fed's into two warring factions. One side will side with the federation command and subsequently side with the Undine without knowledge and the other side would see it for what it is and there you have an answer aswell.

Let's see, borg always go back in time, janeway went back in time, tng went back in time spock, so many people go back and forwards through time their should not be a reason why the past and future shouldn't be able to collide in a temporal anomaly right?

But then again all i know about star trek is from a few movies a few episodes and this game so meh.
      Even god rested. No work ethic.
    • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
      edited January 2013
      Oh and as long as op is listing off obscure old ships I'd like to add the ark royal and Yamato class ships from the star fleet command games, that Yamato class was a beast.
    • shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited January 2013
      Eh, if TOS-heads think they have it bad, just imagine how diehard original Star Wars fans feel.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples