test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Embassy tier 2 upgrade 1 Million Dilithium!!!!!!!

markarichmarkarich Member Posts: 55 Arc User
Look, I really love Star Trek and I enjoy playing STO - I also love the fleet I'm in immensely; however, requiring 1 million dilithium for 1 embassy tier upgrade is patently nuts. I have a full time job, works 6 days a week and have a family. I started playing STO for fun. I don't mind doing what I can to help my fleet meet it's SB/Embassy projects and upgrades. But I, and I hope I speak for many fleet members here as well, do not want "dilithium miner/refiner" to become my 2nd job. Is this a mistake?? I think it must be - 1 million Dilithium is 125 days worth of mining/refining at 8000dil/day.(for a small to mid sized fleet with only a handful of members regularly contributing, that's too much to ask). It's already straining my daily grinding tolerance just to get the required fleet marks.

What's tier 3's requirement going to be?? 1 Billion dilithium????
Post edited by markarich on

Comments

• twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    1. All fleet projects were designed around large fleets.

2. Fleets are the definition of fluff and taking them on is your own mistake you have to live with.
    <3
  • markarichmarkarich Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »

2. Fleets are the definition of fluff and taking them on is your own mistake you have to live with.

I don't totally agree with you on #1 as , up until this point, we've been able to do quite well (we have a tier 4 starbase moving quickly to tier 5)

I, however, am starting to see your point on #2.
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited January 2013

I concur.

It irritates me to see people insisting on small fleets ("just me and my friends" they say), and then complain when they can't progress as fast as a 100+ member fleet.

As large fleets can afford to pay for the upgrades, of course they should enjoy the amenities that come from it. Small fleets should either merge with larger ones, or forget about starbase progression and focus on just having a good time playing STFs together.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • theboilermantheboilerman Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You're basing your figures off of only you paying for the upgrade. Fleet = multiple players. Upgrading is not meant to be a silver-platter thing.

Full disclosure: I'm not in a fleet.
    edited January 2013
    sumghai wrote: »
    I concur.

It irritates me to see people insisting on small fleets ("just me and my friends" they say), and then complain when they can't progress as fast as a 100+ member fleet.

As large fleets can afford to pay for the upgrades, of course they should enjoy the amenities that come from it. Small fleets should either merge with larger ones, or forget about starbase progression and focus on just having a good time playing STFs together.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I see your point but we don't have a "small Fleet" in the sense it's just me and a couple of buddies. On the other hand, there aren't 200 + plus people in our fleet either. Not everyone is able to contribute every ounce of their dilithium either. A fleet with 80 members (20 of which regularly contribute what they can) shouldn't be punished.
    edited January 2013
    markarich wrote: »
    I don't totally agree with you on #1 as , up until this point, we've been able to do quite well (we have a tier 4 starbase moving quickly to tier 4

I wasn't voicing an opinion. They designed the system around large fleets and large amounts of resources being used. That's why Dil is a premium on the exchange now.
    <3
    edited January 2013
    You're basing your figures off of only you paying for the upgrade. Fleet = multiple players. Upgrading is not meant to be a silver-platter thing.

Full disclosure: I'm not in a fleet.

I'm using that 8000/day figure to give a sense of the immensity of the project requirement. I wasn't insinuating that it is only me donating.
    edited January 2013
    I wasn't voicing an opinion. They designed the system around large fleets and large amounts of resources being used. That's why Dil is a premium on the exchange now.

I understand...maybe they should retool the requirement structure. Make requirements based on the active fleet members(obviously with sensible minimums)
    edited January 2013
    10 people contributing is 13 days, yes?
    edited January 2013
    10 people contributing is 13 days, yes?

Grinding for dilithium, fleet marks and giving every ounce to the fleet...Oh joy, what fun...
    edited January 2013
    Grinding for dilithium, fleet marks and giving every ounce to the fleet...Oh joy, what fun...

Priorities. You want the upgrade, figure out what it will take and make it happen. Work harder = quicker payoff.
  • momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I completely fail to understand Cryptic's goals here. Smaller fleets have to work harder for the same goals, and yes, this is the same as punishing small fleets. And yet: small fleets are surely the most likely to be socially stable, to keep players invested in the game? What benefit does Cryptic seeing in putting so much emphasis on monolithic and relatively stagnant fleets? Especially in a few months, when the big fleets will be maxed out on upgrades and any new players will be completely excluded due to the ridiculous time span to start up a new fleet and the fact that fleets are limited in size so the fully upgraded ones can't just absorb an endless stream of newbies.
  • ashtakuashtaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Mark, you say grinding and imply not-fun... but I would say discipline & planning and argue that there's no reason for it not to be fun.

Say you have a small fleet with 20 active members. You need 1,000,000 dil. That's only 50k each - in other words, 6.25 days at the dil cap.

Why don't you guys find a time on the weekend or something that works for everyone and all log in at the same time.

1) Trivia at Starfleet Academy (480) -- subtotal 480
    2) Fleet Action of the week (960 + 480 each + 50 fleet marks) -- subtotal 1920d/50fm
    3) That week's featured foundry episode (960 + 50 fleet marks) -- subtotal 2880d/100fm
    4) Aiding the Deferi (1440+480+480) -- subtotal 5280d/100fm
    5) Eta Trio (480+480+480) -- subtotal 6720d/100fm
    6) ESNW (1440) -- subtotal 8000d (at cap)/100

20 members playing*together for a couple of hours nets you 160,000 dil and 2,000 fleet marks. Do that each weekend for six weeks and you've got your embassy upgrade. Other than the time you set aside for that, don't worry about grinding up resources for the upgrade -- focus on doing your own thing and having fun.

*As distinct from just sitting and grinding solo

Don't take this the wrong way -- I don't want to tell you have to play your game -- but I had the same reaction you had when I saw the price tag. However, after I did the math I realized that it wasn't all that bad. Honestly, I run a few alts, so I routinely bring in 30-40k a day with minimal effort, so I don't think the fleet dil costs are all that bad. It's also important to acknowledge that there's a reason fleet projects aren't cheap - they are designed to require teamwork and planning and they give benefits that you don't otherwise get in the game... cheap Mk XII weapons, more transwarp options, Romulan BOFFs with special space traits, and so on. If they made it easy, everyone would have them and they wouldn't be special.

Anyway, sermon over.

TL;DR -- don't let the sticker shock get you down. The fleet upgrades are easily achieved by a small or mid-size fleet as long as you approach it with a plan and with some patience.
    edited January 2013
    ashtaku wrote: »
    Mark, you say grinding and imply not-fun... but I would say discipline & planning and argue that there's no reason for it not to be fun.

Say you have a small fleet with 20 active members. You need 1,000,000 dil. That's only 50k each - in other words, 6.25 days at the dil cap.

Why don't you guys find a time on the weekend or something that works for everyone and all log in at the same time.

1) Trivia at Starfleet Academy (480) -- subtotal 480
    2) Fleet Action of the week (960 + 480 each + 50 fleet marks) -- subtotal 1920d/50fm
    3) That week's featured foundry episode (960 + 50 fleet marks) -- subtotal 2880d/100fm
    4) Aiding the Deferi (1440+480+480) -- subtotal 5280d/100fm
    5) Eta Trio (480+480+480) -- subtotal 6720d/100fm
    6) ESNW (1440) -- subtotal 8000d (at cap)/100

20 members playing*together for a couple of hours nets you 160,000 dil and 2,000 fleet marks. Do that each weekend for six weeks and you've got your embassy upgrade. Other than the time you set aside for that, don't worry about grinding up resources for the upgrade -- focus on doing your own thing and having fun.

*As distinct from just sitting and grinding solo

Don't take this the wrong way -- I don't want to tell you have to play your game -- but I had the same reaction you had when I saw the price tag. However, after I did the math I realized that it wasn't all that bad. Honestly, I run a few alts, so I routinely bring in 30-40k a day with minimal effort, so I don't think the fleet dil costs are all that bad. It's also important to acknowledge that there's a reason fleet projects aren't cheap - they are designed to require teamwork and planning and they give benefits that you don't otherwise get in the game... cheap Mk XII weapons, more transwarp options, Romulan BOFFs with special space traits, and so on. If they made it easy, everyone would have them and they wouldn't be special.

Anyway, sermon over.

TL;DR -- don't let the sticker shock get you down. The fleet upgrades are easily achieved by a small or mid-size fleet as long as you approach it with a plan and with some patience.

I hear what ur saying completely and understand, the tips and strategies are extremely helpful. The problem I often forget is that a fairly good percentage of the players in this game have, at least what would appear to me, a tremendous amount of free time to dedicate daily to STO. I , unfortunately, do not. If I get 1 to 2 hours of QUALITY time(and what I mean by that is - actually being able to concentrate fully on the game as opposed to the STO screen being open on my desktop and me just doing a couple of things walking by when I get a spare moment) it's a lot. On top of that, my STO quality time is quite late at night(after my family is in bed) when most , if not all, of my other fleet members are offline. I do, luckily, sometimes play from work as well, but this is a half hearted style of play as I can't obviously commit my full concentration to STO while at my day job. My weekends( or I should say my Sundays)are my family time(although I do sometimes get few hours in if I'm lucky.)
    Obviously, in terms of quality commitment time to STO and fleet, mine is not the best scenario. So when I see fleet project requirement(s) like this, I get a bit concerned. I would like the short amount of quality playing time I do get to be enjoyable and not a monotonous grindfest. But again, as others have mentioned, the fleet system was not set up with my lifestyle and free time as a priority. I have to live with it certainly, but I don't have to like it either. The reason I made this thread is that there must be at least a few others out there in similar circumstances; and although we may be a minority, we should still be able to voice our concerns.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited January 2013

And don't even consider for an instant getting any of those nice end game equips from the rep system.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Still, one has to admit that One Million is a bit ridiculous for a game that still touts itself as a semi-casual game.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited January 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    Still, one has to admit that One Million is a bit ridiculous for a game that still touts itself as a semi-casual game.

A million would be quite ridiculous to expect from an individual player. Achievable in the long run or not, it's bad game design to saddle a single player with that kind of a deliverable.

However, we aren't talking about making a single player pay that much. Oh, those folks who have set up one-man fleets are in that unenviable position, but those people knew they were gaming the system from day one (generally to obtain more bank space without having to make microtransactions) and I can't say I have a lot of sympathy.

For a big fleet - one with say 100 active, contributing members you're looking at 10,000 dil per player, which is a miniscule amount. I don't think there's anything ridiculous about that kind of a cost for even a very casual, part-time player to contribute. That's equivalent to buying a single advanced fleet weapon from the starbase vendor.

Where we get into murky waters is small fleets - say 25 active members. At this point you're talking a burden of 40,000 dil each. I think there is room to debate at to whether or not this is a reasonable amount to expect from a player, and I understand the concern that casual players who are in small fleets have about needing to pay out that much.

The question is, what is the right burden to put on those small fleet members? I'm not convinced that there is a fair way to do fleet-size project cost scaling without making it open to exploitation, and I think there's an argument to be made along the lines of "higher individual share in projects is the opportunity cost for the greater personal stake players in small fleets enjoy compared to the more impersonal experience of being in a large fleet."
    edited January 2013
    Just to follow up on my previous post, what would you think if instead of putting down a 1,000,000 dil cost the devs made a laundry list of things that cost a -total- of 1 million Dil to make. Say....

Romulan security teams
    Reman security teams
    Blue scorpion fighters
    Blue Mk XI sensor probes
    Purple Mk XII Romulan (rep system) weapons
    ...and so forth

Maybe wrap it up with fluff saying that these are things that the Embassy needs to upgrade its security and so forth.

Do you think this would seem more reasonable to players even if the ultimate 'ticket cost' was the same? Do you think that this 'camouflage' of the cost would be worth the 'lock out' effect of preventing characters who don't have the ability or prerequisites to get those "big ticket commodities" to contribute?

Part of me wants to say that this kind of approach would be good from a game design POV because it softens the sticker shock of the 7 figure number... but the other part of me says its a bad game design decision because dilithium is one of the few universally obtainable resources to all characters and thus encourages involvement by fleet members at all levels of character development.
  • killelr123killelr123 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i don't mind the big contributions. My fleet is just doing the tier 1 embassy, and tier 2 starbase. The tier 2 embassy will probably be a couple of months. But what's the rush? The journey is the fun in this game. in fact, i don't WANT to join a fleet with a tier 4 starbase. Then i'd miss the fun of the first three tiers.
  • jackdonnerjackdonner Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I havnt payed a whole lot of attention to what the dilithium costs are with the embassy, i think my fleet primarily has been working on the starbase. But if what you say is true, then i think the embassy simply aint worth it. Thats insane prices..the so called special projects for the starbase were insane enough..that would just top it, ill have to speak to the fleet, and just pass on the embassy..
  • lordhooklordhook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    momaw wrote: »
    I completely fail to understand Cryptic's goals here. Smaller fleets have to work harder for the same goals, and yes, this is the same as punishing small fleets. And yet: small fleets are surely the most likely to be socially stable, to keep players invested in the game? What benefit does Cryptic seeing in putting so much emphasis on monolithic and relatively stagnant fleets? Especially in a few months, when the big fleets will be maxed out on upgrades and any new players will be completely excluded due to the ridiculous time span to start up a new fleet and the fact that fleets are limited in size so the fully upgraded ones can't just absorb an endless stream of newbies.

Let me explain, the developers are too lazy to create a routine to report the amount of items in a project based on the number of members of the fleet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    lordhook wrote: »
    Let me explain, the developers are too lazy to create a routine to report the amount of items in a project based on the number of members of the fleet.

No, the developers have yet to come up with a way to balance this fairly and prevent abuse (i.e. everyone but one person quits the fleet and then they pump up the starbase level before everyone rejoins)
  • chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Fleet Starbase and Embassy doesnt have anything the game requires you to have to continue being successful in any content of the game, which includes PvP.

So...its fluff as another poster have said.
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Fleet Starbase and Embassy doesnt have anything the game requires you to have to continue being successful in any content of the game, which includes PvP.

So...its fluff as another poster have said.

Umm - Mk XII Consoles with Plasma DoT and Threat +/-?

New Kits?

Advanced and Elite Mk XII weapons, ship equipment and Hangar Pets?

Fleet ships?

These are all things that are unavailable if you don't wish to participate in a fleet (which shouldn't be mandatory given the insane requirements).
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    OP, your post on the second page where you outline your freetime: I am right there with you so I implicitly understand your frustration.

And pardon me as I use your thread as a vehicle for my thoughts ...

At the same time, the Embassy and Starbase are simply not required for game-play. Not one bit. Taken into consideration, the construction progression should always ... always ... be secondary to you and your friends "fun" to play. It will only take your group longer to achieve the Tier you want. Keep in mind ... want, not need.

It's a game, and people play games (generally and it may be an assumption on my part) because they *need* to have fun through some specific medium like Chess or Warhammer 40,000 or ... STO.

So, when the need is not being met is when dissatisfaction rises. Look at a lot of the posts around this one and really read them ... they are describing a need when really it's a want. Again, it's just a game and nothing is needed, just wanted.

Having said that, 1 million is a big number. But if you are spending your time only working for Dilithium in order to fill up that bar, then I strongly and humbly suggest you are missing the point of the game.

And let's be honest with ourselves: Cryptics goal is to get people to play the game. If you decide you need (want) a Tier 2 Embassy, then you and your buddies will play a very long time to achieve that goal and Cryptic has achieved theirs. It's not punishment (that's a perception), it's a way for a Cryptic to meet their goal. You could be a revolutionary and scream from the top of every post that you will no longer participate in that plan ... but then you won't get any closer to the Tier 2 Embassy you need (want).

And if a player quits the game, then it's less Cryptic's fault and more a matter of choice: the "fun" that is needed was not being met by STO ... but fun is relative because there are plenty of other people whose needs are being met by the same game played by everyone else.

Soooo - all that can be tl;dr to this: your Fleet doesn't need a Tier 2 Embassy and don't think you do. D'n;t worry about the numbers, Cryptic wants you to play the game, so just do it and your'll get everything you want eventually. Just have fun. :)
    edited January 2013
    Umm - Mk XII Consoles with Plasma DoT and Threat +/-?

New Kits?

Advanced and Elite Mk XII weapons, ship equipment and Hangar Pets?

Fleet ships?

Fluff. Vanity items. Ego-boosts. New set of Pokemon. All of them.
    <3
    edited January 2013
    foundrelic wrote: »
    And don't even consider for an instant getting any of those nice end game equips from the rep system.

I already completed both tier 5 Romulan and Omega reps. The Romulan tiering was a joke(you never even had to set foot on Romulus to get to tier 5 - unless you wanted to see the cut-scenes) and I had a large Omega lock box storage to help with the Omega tiering. in either case the requirements for both were sane.
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Fluff. Vanity items. Ego-boosts. New set of Pokemon. All of them.

Perhaps, but in STO, that's what passes for content.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
    edited January 2013
    Perhaps, but in STO, that's what passes for content.

Nah. There is new content. It's just stuck behind the Tholians and Epohhs and you can't see it very well.

But yeah, count me in as part of the "More damned missions!" crew.
    <3
    edited January 2013
    I wanted to thank everyone who has participated in this thread up to this point. There have been a number of excellent viewpoints and observations.

What I have taken is that there are a myriad of different types of people from all walks of life who participate in STO mainly for their love of the genre. Each participant plays to their ability both time-wise and monetarily; thus each has a different viewpoint on how the game should progress. But we all, as Star Trek fans, really want the same thing...NEW Star Trek Content. Personally, I wish there would be a non-stop flow of new content to keep everyone satisfied; unfortunately, this is not the case. Some have called it "fluff" and I understand what they are trying to describe. This is what I guess I really have a problem with. Fluff being Pseudo-content that requires players to continue actively participating(not really playing, rather grinding- no matter how fun one or a group of people can make grinding - eventually it's just repeating the same exact actions over and over, alone or with a group) without actually adding any new or real CREATIVE content. Season 7, to me, was one big fluff. New Romulus, essentially one large map with the appropriate grinding missions built into it and a rep system alongside to make one feel that they are achieving something. Five short 30 second cut-scenes added to make us go "wow" every other week. That was the sum total of the creative content of season 7. Oh and a few new consoles, weapons, ships etc... thrown into the mix.

Season 6, the "fleet" season; again another entirety of fluff thrown together. A seemingly endless cycle of repetitive projects and upgrades. Only this time a group of players can "work" together to advance said projects. Yet still, content is essentially generated by the players working on a set of preexisting maps. Again a few new consoles, ships, weapons etc.. thrown in the mix.

The Foundry - a genius development by a lazy creative team...i.e. let's let the players CREATE the content, thus doing our jobs for us. Of course the requisite add-in's like Investigate Officer Reports thrown in to reward players for accepting this as a substitute for , again, Real creative content.

The 1 million dilithium requirement on embassy tier 2 was the catalyst that made a switch go off in my head. Whoa...OK...Enough!!! It's time Cryptic ends this cycle and starts to head back to the CREATIVE drawing board(rather than the gimmick one). Having some grinding as a part of the STO universe is acceptable and necessary, but when that is ALL there is, there is a major problem.

It amazes me that for season after season TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager; came up with a entire new episode WEEKLY in the real world. Thus real scripts had to written, disseminated, memorized, rehearsed, etc... Real sets and props had to be fabricated and assembled. Pre-production, Production, post-production week after week, every week. If they could do it in the real world why in God's name can't they even come close in the virtual world. There are no actors to pay, sets to assemble from scratch, etc... Honestly, when was last real new creative content added to STO; the last Feature Episode set?? How long ago was that? End-game shouldn't mean the END. In fact, there shouldn't be such a thing as end-game. This is the Star Trek universe, an infinite possible number of stories can be created(the Foundry proves that).

It's time the devs stop focusing on how to trick players into not noticing that there hasn't been any new real creative content and start DEVELOPING new creative content. That's what developers are supposed to do? isn't it?

I guess, in a nutshell, that's the real problem I have with the ever increasing grind requirements. Each time the reqs get larger, it subconsciously reminds me of how I'm really starving for some actual original content.