test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best Free MMORPG of 2012

2»

Comments

• tomin8rtomin8r Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What do we get as a token of Cryptic's appreciation?
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ... a chance to earn a free ship at the Winter Carnival. ;)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Congratulations from my crusty old self. ;)
  • tomin8rtomin8r Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Heaven forbid that we earn a chance! Oh gracious overlords, you are too kind!
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 924 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    tomin8r wrote: »
    What do we get as a token of Cryptic's appreciation?

A hearty " 'Qapla!!" or "LLAP" depending on your faction. :D

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • bbaetensbbaetens Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Star Trek Online has won the "Best Free MMORPG 2012" award from MMORPG Center! Thank you to everyone who voted and for your continued support of STO. We can't wait for you to see what we have planned for 2013!

Link to the awards page.

no offence to the people playing this game, but i wonder how much they had to pay for this award ?!
    this game "concept" is good, fun to play and should get the award with no trouble at all BUT my personal experience with the game is not one of award material.
    don't get me wrong here, i like the game that's why i took the time to complain about the things i find wrong! its your given right to dislike my wrongs BUT please don't start a flame war over it, read it as a man and reply to it as a man! thanks.

Game is:
    - buggy
    - error's that don't make sens. (example: crashing with a wtex error wen your on your ships bridge with error text (could not load "ICE CAVE" texture) really why in the world needs that be loaded i'm ON MY BRIDGE!
    - Pay2Win (i don't care if all was in C-Store but whit the box's that's not the case)
    - Gambling (LockBox, info should be extreme low chance on good stuff, 99% TRIBBLE inside)
    - STF's still not 99% bug free, they made em better i grand them that but there not nearly as bug free then they should be.
    - Some Rep rewards don't make sens, (example: romulan beam in help, cost 5 DOFFS for 60sec help of 2 romulans, really who the hell came up with that idea?! "i know its to drive the C-Store sale of Doffs")
    - Scale of the ships vs the weapons, some ship have beam weapons 1/4 the size of the ship it self, really is it that hard to scale the beamweapons down a bit?.
    - And whats up with the 75? up and down motion, why not 90? or 360? its SPACE for jezus sake!

frankly i can go on for a few more lines but you get the point, its not a bad game concept i just don't agree with the management of it! now with this reward they gonna think there job is kinda done! again no offence to the devs in person but they should work a bit more to fix bugs and errors then to add more "buggy content". i will gladly play a few months with out extra's added, as long as there plenty bug fixes in its place. some times i play for 5mins and a file breaks, after replacing that file the game works just fine, for x amount of minutes before an other file breaks. this game has "the" worst file handling i'v ever seen in a game, and there other game CoH "is it called that yes?" has the same problem.

anyways this post will probably be deleted and i might get warnings for it but its the truth what i posted. and yes there will be a "BUNCH" of players gonna yell at me and say its not true and all but i don't blame them its there "love for star trek" that blinds and shields them from the problems of this game.
    edited January 2013
    bbaetens wrote: »
    Wall of rather negative text

And way to rain on their parade. Seriously, are some members of the community so jaded that they see fit to complain in a thread posted for saying "congrats"?

There's a time and a place for "truth". Not when a company is actually celebrating an award that they received.

And no, I doubt that any money was paid for the award, as there were other companies competing roughly the same size and notoriety as PWE/Cryptic.

I know that you may think it your solemn duty to "educate" other players on the faults of this game, but if you don't want to congratulate the company, find another thread to post your gripes in. Let them have their moment in the sun.

The company is, after all, run by human beings who could use a little appreciation and acknowledgement from time to time.

FYI: Their other game is CO (Champions Online), not CoH. CoH is City of Heroes, which recently shut down, but that was originally developed by Cryptic and later picked up by Paragon Games.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Star Trek Online (50%, 1,799 Votes)
    rofl...

Congrats to the 1,799 people who voted.

rofl...
  • yezar82yezar82 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Congrats Star Trek Online!
    For Cardassia!

• bbaetensbbaetens Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    And way to rain on their parade. Seriously, are some members of the community so jaded that they see fit to complain in a thread posted for saying "congrats"?

There's a time and a place for "truth". Not when a company is actually celebrating an award that they received.

And no, I doubt that any money was paid for the award, as there were other companies competing roughly the same size and notoriety as PWE/Cryptic.

I know that you may think it your solemn duty to "educate" other players on the faults of this game, but if you don't want to congratulate the company, find another thread to post your gripes in. Let them have their moment in the sun.

The company is, after all, run by human beings who could use a little appreciation and acknowledgement from time to time.

FYI: Their other game is CO (Champions Online), not CoH. CoH is City of Heroes, which recently shut down, but that was originally developed by Cryptic and later picked up by Paragon Games.

Yes it was CO sorry for the wrong name :D

FYI: so your dad rewarded you with money and congrats wen you did half a job then? i don't think that anyone of us got congratz for a half job! that's wat STO is, half job! no offence again to your love for Star Trek, but its time to open up a bit and really see the things for what they are. and yes it is my given right to educate others, or at-least try.
    edited January 2013
    bbaetens wrote: »
    Yes it was CO sorry for the wrong name :D

FYI: so your dad rewarded you with money and congrats wen you did half a job then? i don't think that anyone of us got congratz for a half job! that's wat STO is, half job! no offence again to your love for Star Trek, but its time to open up a bit and really see the things for what they are. and yes it is my given right to educate others, or at-least try.

No, but when you're recognized for something, no matter how trivial it may seem, show enough respect to acknowledge it instead of having to post "you didn't deserve it and how dare you ask the community to congratulate you!!!".

Do it on another thread. People are human, and you don't have to be a damned perfectionist. It's not "love for Star Trek", it's common decency.

Besides, most of us know this game could certainly be a hell of a lot worse. It isn't exactly the Congressional Medal of Honor, STO offices aren't being visited by the President, and they're not scheduling ticker tape parades through the streets of San Francisco, CA. It's a simple, token award. Let them have it in peace.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Besides, most of us know this game could certainly be a hell of a lot worse. It isn't exactly the Congressional Medal of Honor, STO offices aren't being visited by the President, and they're not scheduling ticker tape parades through the streets of San Francisco, CA. It's a simple, token award. Let them have it in peace.

Yeah, think on the bright side, it could've been developed by Square Enix, and published by EA. :D
  • drennundrennun Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Congratulations! Nice job STO
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    While I definitely enjoy this game, it should be noted that this isnt really an "award", it was just a voting contest. People could repeat vote every day, so it just turned out that STO had the most repeat voters out of all the other games in the running. MMORPG Center didnt actually pick STO to give this reward to.

Actually, this was the one where you couldn't repeat the vote, just for the record.

Anyway, congrats to the Dev team for the award, keep up the good work so you can win another one next year ;)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, think on the bright side, it could've been developed by Square Enix, and published by EA. :D

Then it likely wouldn't have been up for the FREE MMO reward as the EA juggernaut would have had the development money to throw at it and make it the game Jack Emmertt promised for two years.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • darrentansley1darrentansley1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Congrats to STO by far the best Free to Play Around at the moment,

bring on the next Season and thanks to everyone that voted
    Trident Gaming community

Recruitment Officer Darren
  • kirkryderkirkryder Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us3dQ0nnlHY

Now maybe I should re word this song aswell ;)

FANTASATIC NEWS!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.EliteDefenseStarfleet.com
    Best fleet in Star Trek Online...
    We even have our own merchandise!!! Come join us today...
    www.cafepress.com/elitedefensestarfleet
  • reaper66688reaper66688 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    No, but when you're recognized for something, no matter how trivial it may seem, show enough respect to acknowledge it instead of having to post "you didn't deserve it and how dare you ask the community to congratulate you!!!".

Do it on another thread. People are human, and you don't have to be a damned perfectionist. It's not "love for Star Trek", it's common decency.

He is right this game did not deserve any reward. And why should they be congratulated for an award they did not deserve. If they did their jobs and actually tested new updates before they went live this game might be worth playing. Instead they rush it out so they can start working on the next lockbox. So devs put some effort into your job and if you get an award then I'll be nice and say congrats until then I'll continue to be an A**hole.
  • plox21plox21 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    why you still play STO if it is soo bad?......:P

STO was bad at start , but with time it improved itself to higher level , new romulus with season 7 and reputation system is great , community of STO is better than in some other mmos and because of that this game got my vote for best F2P mmo.

Everything what you say in your reply is complete bull**** , this win for STO is well deserved for both devs and players:).

P.S. Feel free to whine or insult my decission , i know you will :rolleyes:.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Congratulations are in order, i did not vote, i felt the bar was to high for sto to get the award. The grind, the lack of episodic content, the reputation system for leveling, just did not make the grade in my opinion... Maybe as a free game, but i paidb through the nose to be here, and maybe thatis why i would have to see some real major episodic leveling and content before it would be getting any votes or anymore praise from where I stand.

Thank you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    He is right this game did not deserve any reward.
    Do you even hear yourself? :rolleyes:

Dwelling on how good this game could have been, whether at launch or now... that's just illogical and creates needless conflict. Plus, holding the devs up to high standards, when those standards might not understand the demands of business/workloads/etc... seems like people assume it's easier than it actually is.

Some of us are praising the game for how much better it's improved, in the here and now, ie this thread. And considering that each and every one of those 1,799 votes (non-repeated) were for STO, I'd say they've done a pretty good job despite opinions against it ;)
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • connortreeves67connortreeves67 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Congrats! Long Overdue :D
  • mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Way to go STO!

Cheers!
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • nunnaheenunnahee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Congrats to the service team that maintains the game and keeps us flying, I have been playing online games for years and find this one within most gamer's pocketbook, enough free-play to balance what we do purchase, I plan on spending and being here awhile, again best wishes for new year.
  • brent42brent42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Agreed! Well deserved!