test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How Many Times Do I Need To ReINSTALL!!!

Come on y'all. This is crazy. :mad: How many times do i have to re install the game? Why is every file corrupt all the time? I'm trying to do the academy event and STO wont let me. Every time i get started it crashes. This is not cool. How hard is it to make a game that is playable? I even Installed this on my laptop and when STO crashes it just shuts the whole computer down. I don't know how long i am going to be able to take this. :(
Post edited by jusepwe on

Comments

• bbaetensbbaetens Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    you have to deal with it and backup the game your self, that's what i do for oh about two + years now, yeah you read it right. this game has "the" worst file handling i'v ever seen!! sometimes i wonder if a bunch of 6year old wrote the code for this game engine.

Corruption of files is all what the game does best! its insane, sometimes i can't even play for 10mins before i need to replace a broken file, oh yeah that brings me to there "launcher file checker" LOL that's a total joke never seen i fix that 1 file, if i don't delete the file the launcher has no idea if that file is broken, for all i know that launcher checks just if the file exist LOL.

ohwell one may joke about it but one thing is for sure i ain't keeping this up! there will be a day i'll just delete the folder my self and never install the game. and there will my money flow to Cryptic stop then. but they won't care as usually cus there plenty of other players willing to stick with the broken/buggy game.
  • thomasthewolf80thomasthewolf80 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    man i dont really know whats going on with perfect world but they r anything from perfect i mean **** my launcher will not launch again this now is 5 times i have had to find and download a new launcher this is getting ridiculas guys please fix these launcher errors im getting tired of having to download the same files every month or so lol
  • jusepwejusepwe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Just got finished re installing again smh. This thing crashes anytime it feels. Now i cant even get into the launcher. It has crashed at least 10 times with in the hour. Is the source files damaged? Where ever it downloads from is not good. This really become a problem when i try to play the academy event...
  • texasenvoytexasenvoy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    One way I save a reinstall is by going to the folder the game is saved and deleted all the files.
    Example: C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live

When I restarted the launcher, I started that patch the got clean copy of the game from the server.

It a long download but get you a a clean copy of the game to work with.

Hope this helps.
  • cyberpapacyberpapa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think it's rather odd that no one mentions 3rd party and OS issues as the cause of the problems. Maybe that's already been considered. I run a clean machine with pretty heavy Group Policies to keep me that way. I'm using MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) as my only machine scanner. That's not to say that the game doesn't crash; but usually it's my fault. For one, I had to make sure I don't have any keybinds assigned to system keys, like ALT-TAB. Alt-Tab works most of the time unless I do it too quickly, which can be difficult as I'm a touch typist. Plus, fumbly fingers can accidentally, when several keys are pressed on the keyboard in the heat of battle can create, throught the keyboard matrix, a key pattern which represents something other than the keys you pressed. I'm sure we've all experienced that. If STO and your system recognize they keys and both try to respond, this can cause a crash and a system conflict. (see the very bottom for a little story about this)

As far as corrupting files go, I also have Microsoft's TCP View, and Process Explorer as tools I use to monitor what's going on with the game.
    I started out by observing which processing were running with out running STO, then ran STO to see which processes it runs. I also 'try' not to have any other applications running in the background; mostly because of the possiblity of interference when demanding resources from the game.

Most people are unaware of the pitfalls of using 3rd party applications and their vulnerabilities. It's not unusual, when a problem arises, to check TCP view, and see an unexpected IP address attached to my system, not related to game play. Plus, there are a number of advertisers who can exploit one's internet connection to attempt control of the system. And, yes, these can pop-up from any website using 3rd party advertisers, even Steam. These are difficult to track down, as the browser fails and locks when it happens, and one cannot see who the advertiser is; however, they show up as connected to the system when using TCP view, and/or Process Explorer. Once one is familiar with what 'has' to run to play the game; potential threats to your system stand out like a sore thumb. It's easy enough to close the connection from TCP view or Process Explorer.

Mind you, this does not prevent the stream from getting corrupted. One of the issues I experienced (note past tense) was when I only ran one router. Third party consoles, like Wii, where a family member is using it for Netflix, or Hulu, opens up the router for attack as the ports stay open continuously. Hulu is notorious for freezing up, and when it happens, until it's released, the router can hang too. This can interrupt the stream for STO also. Many many issues can cause this. I resolved mine by adding a 2nd router for my home private network, and the primary network router is where I connect all my Third party applications, like the aforementioned Wii, DVD, TiVo or Satellite dish. TiVo is notorious for taking over the bandwidth when updating.

All these things can interfere with STO. Your side of the game *must* stay synced with the STO server. If you fall too far out of sync, the game can crash as the server cannot catch you up, so you get dumped. If the server is loading a module, like some sector or episode data (which is also when it makes patches, if you've noticed). Here, a few corrupted bits may go unnoticed, this is normally corrected the next time you enter that space, as the code for that space is not stored on your machine. So, the problem will not appear to be consistant.

So, maintain a strict Group Policy (a whole separate subject), have a simple but effective machine scanner (like MSE); know what systems are online and using bandwith, and their particular quirks. Know what processes on your systemp are running and who your are connected to; and keep an eye on your back door. The bad guys like to swim through open ports. (a whole treatise could be written on this subject).

The bottom line: It may not be a perfect world; but, that doesn't mean PW is causing your STO stability issues. There are many, many, more players who have no issues, or few issues... I'm one. But, in my case, I have almost 20 years of network experience to know all the pitfalls, and have fallen into a few of them and learned the hard way. No one expects the non-professional to know all this; and frankly, I don't know how so many of you manage as well as you do. Even my best effort doesn't remove all my risks, and Microsoft is the first to tell you. The moment you connect to the internet, you open your machine to attack. The only way to remain safe... is not to go on the internet.

Best of luck. If you have any questions; I'll try to answer as best I can.

Happy Gaming! See you online.

PS: here's that little story.
    I was called into an office to troubleshoot one of my client's employees continually crashing the machine. We tried over and over to make it crash while I was there; but nothing happened. Several days later, and her problems had continued. I happened to be there, and I caught the failure.

At one point, I saw her lean forward to peer more closely at the machine. When she did... it crashed.
    I just so happened, you see, the woman was very busty. When she leaned forward, her TRIBBLE accidentally pressed many keys at the same time. We'll never know what key strokes were interpreted by the machine; but I embarrassingly pointed out the issue. Both our faces turned red, and her problem disappeared. True story. So, sometimes, you just don't know what's causing the problem; but, if you're lucky, it's almost always... operator error. An old joke in computer IT work... "No, that's not a coffee holder, that's the CD tray, and yes, it's flimsy and can retract when you don't want it to." We call them ID 10 T problems, or ID10T problems, get it.

And, as another in this thread pointed out... it never hurts to backup the important files.
    FED Vice Admiral Gervnd USS Singularity
    KDF Commander Inuni IKS Ornovus
    ROM Centurion Aer RRW Scientology :cool:
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 924 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    cyberpapa wrote: »
    I think it's rather odd that no one mentions 3rd party and OS issues as the cause of the problems. Maybe that's already been considered. I run a clean machine with pretty heavy Group Policies to keep me that way. I'm using MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) as my only machine scanner. That's not to say that the game doesn't crash; but usually it's my fault. For one, I had to make sure I don't have any keybinds assigned to system keys, like ALT-TAB. Alt-Tab works most of the time unless I do it too quickly, which can be difficult as I'm a touch typist. Plus, fumbly fingers can accidentally, when several keys are pressed on the keyboard in the heat of battle can create, throught the keyboard matrix, a key pattern which represents something other than the keys you pressed. I'm sure we've all experienced that. If STO and your system recognize they keys and both try to respond, this can cause a crash and a system conflict. (see the very bottom for a little story about this)

As far as corrupting files go, I also have Microsoft's TCP View, and Process Explorer as tools I use to monitor what's going on with the game.
    I started out by observing which processing were running with out running STO, then ran STO to see which processes it runs. I also 'try' not to have any other applications running in the background; mostly because of the possiblity of interference when demanding resources from the game.

Most people are unaware of the pitfalls of using 3rd party applications and their vulnerabilities. It's not unusual, when a problem arises, to check TCP view, and see an unexpected IP address attached to my system, not related to game play. Plus, there are a number of advertisers who can exploit one's internet connection to attempt control of the system. And, yes, these can pop-up from any website using 3rd party advertisers, even Steam. These are difficult to track down, as the browser fails and locks when it happens, and one cannot see who the advertiser is; however, they show up as connected to the system when using TCP view, and/or Process Explorer. Once one is familiar with what 'has' to run to play the game; potential threats to your system stand out like a sore thumb. It's easy enough to close the connection from TCP view or Process Explorer.

Mind you, this does not prevent the stream from getting corrupted. One of the issues I experienced (note past tense) was when I only ran one router. Third party consoles, like Wii, where a family member is using it for Netflix, or Hulu, opens up the router for attack as the ports stay open continuously. Hulu is notorious for freezing up, and when it happens, until it's released, the router can hang too. This can interrupt the stream for STO also. Many many issues can cause this. I resolved mine by adding a 2nd router for my home private network, and the primary network router is where I connect all my Third party applications, like the aforementioned Wii, DVD, TiVo or Satellite dish. TiVo is notorious for taking over the bandwidth when updating.

All these things can interfere with STO. Your side of the game *must* stay synced with the STO server. If you fall too far out of sync, the game can crash as the server cannot catch you up, so you get dumped. If the server is loading a module, like some sector or episode data (which is also when it makes patches, if you've noticed). Here, a few corrupted bits may go unnoticed, this is normally corrected the next time you enter that space, as the code for that space is not stored on your machine. So, the problem will not appear to be consistant.

So, maintain a strict Group Policy (a whole separate subject), have a simple but effective machine scanner (like MSE); know what systems are online and using bandwith, and their particular quirks. Know what processes on your systemp are running and who your are connected to; and keep an eye on your back door. The bad guys like to swim through open ports. (a whole treatise could be written on this subject).

The bottom line: It may not be a perfect world; but, that doesn't mean PW is causing your STO stability issues. There are many, many, more players who have no issues, or few issues... I'm one. But, in my case, I have almost 20 years of network experience to know all the pitfalls, and have fallen into a few of them and learned the hard way. No one expects the non-professional to know all this; and frankly, I don't know how so many of you manage as well as you do. Even my best effort doesn't remove all my risks, and Microsoft is the first to tell you. The moment you connect to the internet, you open your machine to attack. The only way to remain safe... is not to go on the internet.

Best of luck. If you have any questions; I'll try to answer as best I can.

Happy Gaming! See you online.

PS: here's that little story.
    I was called into an office to troubleshoot one of my client's employees continually crashing the machine. We tried over and over to make it crash while I was there; but nothing happened. Several days later, and her problems had continued. I happened to be there, and I caught the failure.

At one point, I saw her lean forward to peer more closely at the machine. When she did... it crashed.
    I just so happened, you see, the woman was very busty. When she leaned forward, her TRIBBLE accidentally pressed many keys at the same time. We'll never know what key strokes were interpreted by the machine; but I embarrassingly pointed out the issue. Both our faces turned red, and her problem disappeared. True story. So, sometimes, you just don't know what's causing the problem; but, if you're lucky, it's almost always... operator error. An old joke in computer IT work... "No, that's not a coffee holder, that's the CD tray, and yes, it's flimsy and can retract when you don't want it to." We call them ID 10 T problems, or ID10T problems, get it.

And, as another in this thread pointed out... it never hurts to backup the important files.

Those of us who understand networks, how computers work, etc. get this sort of thing. However, the vast majority of gamers really don't possess much beyond basic computer literacy. They just want someone to point their finger at and say "it's your fault that I can't play!!!" They fire up another MMO, see that it has no problems, and instantly point their finger at STO and their servers. No diagnostics beyond that, just a simple false cause-and-effect analogy.

Plus there's the perception that because PWE/Cryptic is a corporate entity, they have endless amounts of resources and/or personnel to throw at any problem and ensure a bug free and seamless gaming experience, in many cases before the playerbase becomes aware that there IS an issue.

ROLL TIDE ROLL