test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: December 2012 - Submit Your Questions, Please!

Comments

• mogenarzmogenarz Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Previously, someone mentioned that you were working on a tutorial for KDF and making the Klingons a full level 1-50 faction. Could we expect this with Season 8?

Also, I am a bit unsatisfied with the lack of special weaponry available through the Reputation system (for example, I can't get a mark twelve Romulan Plasma Full Auto Rifle or an Antiproton AntiBorg Pulsewave). Seeing as this is a step back from the old STF-Prototype Salvage system, can we expect more weapon types to become available?
  • murcraymurcray Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    1. In order to bring more players to the KDF side what about adding a new ship and/or maybe new "slots" that can be purchased in the C-Store or through an upcoming lock box?
    A ship like a true warrior vessel that has 4 Fore and 4 Aft weapon slots, but with one of each (Fore/Aft) slot being dedicated to port/starboard flanks. This will allow a Klingon to equip Cannons-only in those special slots and thereby make this ship a TRUE Warrior-like vessel!
    On the other hand if you don't want to design one specific ship, what about allowing the KDF side (to start then allow Feds later) to buy a specific extra slot that can be placed (on purchase) into any area of their ship.
    2. I read this earlier and had to repeat it: "Provisioning projects require a rather hefty chunk of dilithium for a rather small number of provisions (especially at lower tiers) and the fact that these items have a dilithium cost attached to them when purchased in the cases of equipment makes this an incredible burden for small fleets...to the point where running provisioning projects isn't really worth the hassle. Would you, or have you, considered adding in dilithium free provisioning projects with increased run timers (40 hours instead of 20), lowered payouts (half the provisioning), increases in the other inputs, or some combination of the three?"
    3. When will it be available for us to place our Fleet Emblem on our Fleet Starbase exterior or even the floor of the Ops area?
    4. I read earlier someone else had a really good question about: When will we be able to take older items and Craft upgrades for them? Like turning our Phased Tetryon Beam Array Mk X into Mk XII's? Or adding [Crit] or [Reg] to items?
    5. What about adding options to our customizations of our ships or uniforms like adding glowing strips in the Patterns available now? Something like having the Orion Pattern be glowing, making it look a little like Tron or even the Delorean from Back to the Future. Same with our standard uniforms. Allow us to add a GLOW color to the striping on our uniforms.
    6. The Founders sent out 100 babies into the galaxy to explore and come back. Only Odo and Laas were ever recovered. What about the eventuality of adding an expensive new Playable Character or Bridge Officer that is a Changeling? In honor of Constable Odo I would suggest that if it is a Bridge Officer it is a Tactical Officer.
    7. I also read and agree with a previous post that mentioned you should work on making an entire upcoming Season be all about fixing, updating, expanding/simplifying current issues, problems, questions, and concerns that have been slowly piling up on you.
    8. What are your thoughts on upgrading Boarding Parties that survive and return to being able to TAKE from the ship they boarded? For instance: My Boarding Party goes aboard a Borg ship and manages to damage them and return, with Borg Neural Processors or a Borg Device or maybe even some Omega Marks...thoughts on this?

That's all I have for now. I would be happy to expand any of these ideas if you need. just contact me in-game.
    I am Merlyn (merlyn@murcray) and I am with The Wildcards!
  • benkenobi09benkenobi09 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Will there be any new foundry updates like the Galorndon Core, Nimbus system? And are there any other upcoming updates? If so what days? And, will there be certain new foundry props or items for example added to the foundry?
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    On Dec. 6th 2010, you had these long-term goals for the Foundry:
    Longer Term Foundry Goals
    The following features are also being tracked for future updates, but will take some time before they will be completed.

Improved ways for authors to collaborate on projects
    Author rating based on overall ratings of missions they’ve created
    Web access to searching Foundry-generated missions

Map Editor Future Goals

Create fully customized interior layouts from room and hallway pieces
    Place lights directly on a map
    Use a random name generator for contacts and actors
    Placing anomaly? crafting nodes into maps
    Custom behaviors for encounters (custom AI)
    Placement of auto-generated civilian populations
    The ability to create custom planetary surface (exterior) maps
    3-D visualization while editing to improve placement of details
    Make a random map? option to speed up map creation

Mission Editor Future Goals

Give the player quest items used by the mission
    The ability to create content that takes place on the player's own bridge? interior
    Custom cut scenes as part of the mission

Other Uses of Foundry Content

Using Foundry to create custom starship bridge and ship interiors
    Using Foundry to create custom starbase interiors
    Using Foundry to create PvP maps
    Using Foundry to create Fleet Action maps

As you can see - there are a lot of great features coming for the Foundry. We are already seeing great missions with the features we have now and the power of the tools will grow over time while (hopefully) still retaining the simple learning curve.

What is going on with your list of long-term goals for the Foundry set in 2010? Are these goals still goals? Can you please tell us if any of these goals are being worked on by someone on the STO team?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mrdarksabremrdarksabre Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    1. Do you plan to ever give Fleet Starbases something that actually fits the idea of what is essentially a military base thats actually worth the input required? (disco floors and a small fish tank arent what I'd call worthwhile investments)

2. Some people have been complaining that Antiproton's proc is pointless and the fact I use all AP weapons means I'm getting the sore end of the whinge stick. Do you ever intend to re-evaluate the procs and bring AP more into line with the others?

3. Whats on the table for the next major functionality upgrade for the Foundry? When I say major I mean things like a better map editor or branching/career-specific objectives.

4. The way combat groups are scaled in the game makes it so that using the unique abilities of a certain ship in all group sizes is next to impossible. Would it ever be possible to change group scaling so that the mobs you fight stay the same, but there stats are increased to reflect the more firepower and co-ordination that comes with a group? Something like this would mean you could finally implement Dreadnought NPC groups in the Foundry (limit how many can be on any map at any one time if balance is an issue). Also while we're on Foundry combat groups, the co-ords for positioning the NPCs are broken, they shoot off in random directions when I just want them to go down a bit.

5. You've already brought in Quad Phasers and Disruptors, any plans to add versions for other energy types somehow?
    Krovennan Darksabre: Commanding officer of the U.S.S. Blacksabre-E NX-973484-E

I earned my Vet rewards with commitment, not cash.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    When will we be getting expansive, fully functional ship interiors?

Several people, including myself, have pitched many suggestions and ideas as to how we could bring this integral part of the Star Trek franchise to this game. What are the overall impressions of these ideas, as well as your own personal opinions about them?

And for Gods sake my good man, when are we getting Hats!?!??!
  • eklinaareklinaar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    When is the Red Alert bug going to be fixed, the one where 9 times out of 10 I warp into an empty instance and get immediately booted?
  • purvee1purvee1 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Q) What is going on with the KDF? I just want to clarify as I November you were talking about all the awesome stuff planed for 2013 for the KDF. Then two weeks later you were saying that you were still fighting for us to get stuff but hadn't been given the go ahead.

So you can pardon us for being confused as to the message you're sending.
  • dantlesdantles Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Are there any indications that the Enterprise-J come on Star Trek Online, thet ship is a long expected but newer realist so when thet is going to happen?!
  • sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    What happened to the department head/first officer system Heretic was working on?
  • lordtrepidlordtrepid Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Is there any chance of getting a Carrier Bridge for the Caitian Atrox Carrier? I paid money to get the carrier and was dissapointed to see there was not a bridge to go with it. I would very much like to see a Carrier bridge.
  • flazizlle0flazizlle0 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Must admit I'm loving the embassy. So I must ask if we're going to be seeing more faction spefic embassies in the future? I figure if we're going to have another embassy it might be cardy but that would still be interesting to see.
    ~FlaZizLLe
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Will the Fleet Assault Cruiser be getting any buffs? I'd really like one to upgrade my Regent, but it's not any better than the Fleet Excelsior and comes so late in the Starbase progression.
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    To: dStahl,

Approximately four to five weeks ago, I started to play on the KDF side of the game. Since releasing new KDF outfits is a rather difficult task, have you guys ever considered expanding the current color palates?

Instead of being limited to the general rank colors, expanding the current clothing palates can give players more options. Would that be too difficult?
  • caio492caio492 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Any word on the Fed Fleet Dreadnought? or its Saucer Sep.?
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for the free uniform. I will have to put that code into my account to enjoy.

1. Other than giving me free stuff. Will there be any major game fixes and additional non-grinding story based content?

2. Utopia Planitia. Can we have this map back how about the rest of the solar system?

3. When will the KDF get a full fledged story arc so I can try it without skipping the 20 levels?

4. A could of friends of mine have classic Gorn skins. How can I get those? They are pretty sweet looking and would be a big incentive to getting me to try the KDF side.

5. Graphics issues. This is why I gave up playing. When will DX11 be out of beta and all of the missing textures fixed?

6. Why are there no cookies for food items? How about a Cookie Crisp Tribble? :D
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • rahhmirahhmi Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Some random curiosities.

* Blue Nanopulse weapon Availability?
    * Demorecord working with created Foundry characters?
    * Jupiter (and other missing ingame outfits) in Foundry, perhaps with that Character creator glitch that lets you change the head style to gorn/Caitian/etc?
    * Have you ever seen This?

Yep. that's all I got. =/
  • quentonwolfquentonwolf Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Are you at any point planning on bringing the Ambassador Class to STO? It's one of my favorite ship classes and would make a great purchasable Heavy Cruiser.
  • born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Question:

Are you guys going to put out a whole new set of doff mission strings? It would be great if you were to release at least 5 new series of missions that were like 10 parts long. Maybe at the end you can add a Big(like 5,000 to 10,000) Dilthium reward on top of the purple doff to get more people involved in doffing - one of the best parts of the Game in my opinion.
  • roman1229roman1229 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The drops in the STFs are still not what I feel they could be. Are there any plans to increase the Rare and Very Rare drops in these STFs?

Is there any thought to adding Yellow Alert into the game? Sometimes instead of just going into combat because you say "Hi!" to someone, maybe the player can try to negotiate a solution during yellow alert so as not to go into combat every single time.

The jump from Tier 1 rep to Tier two is through the roof. I find myself having to sell off many items just to keep up with the progress. Now I'm starting to just forget about it. Is there any way to cut in half the items we need to or to lower the items that it will take to finish our rep missions?
  • crazyestrobbiecrazyestrobbie Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If you were an average STO player what question would you most want answered, and whats the answer to that question?
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If tech, manpower, and money wasn't an issue ...

If there was ONE thing you could add to the game.
    Your personal dream update.
    Big or small.
    What would it be?
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If you were an average STO player what question would you most want answered, and whats the answer to that question?

This is an excellent question.

Maybe say "Put yourself in the mind of what you imagine an average STO player to be. What question would you most want answered, and whats the answer to that question?"

It's a slight rephrasing, because as someone who works on the game, he has no way of actually thinking like an average STO player, because of his involvement as Exec producer. But he can think about it from the perspective he understands and believes us to have, and answer from that perspective.

I hope that made sense.

Regardless, excellent question.
  • roboticzebraroboticzebra Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I was wondering if Cryptic was thinking about making the lockbox ships especially have more cosmetic options, becuase having the ship is great but gets a bit boring and bland over a long time frame. By adding new cosmetic options to the ships eg Tholian Recluse you could add a special FED option and a special KDF option for looks, this wouldnt change anything but the looks of course ;)

Alos I and many others want to see the complete inside of the ship they are currently flying, like my Tholian's bridge is one room, i want to be able to explore my ship :)
    So are there any plans of completing the interiors of the Ferengi ship, the Time ships, the Jem'Hadar ship, the Tholian ships ETC?
  • sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    with new faction possibly coming with those being top diplomatic rank will we get that faction boff
    will cap be raised as well from 5 to 10
    is there shipyard reputation in season 8
  • argent007argent007 Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Would it be possible to cut the dilithium requirements for the equipment requisitions on the Reputation system by 25-50%?

Also, what is the ETA on the exchange getting a true overhaul and repair?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ethoirethoir Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Still wondering if we'll ever see a K'Vort battlecruiser for the klingons. And some KDF versions of Fed ships like the Vestas. Or iare these thing slow priority for the KDF next to writing things for feddies?
  • werewolf359werewolf359 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    You mentioned recently that an upcoming season would be titled "Founders of the Federation" and include the sector between Sirius and Beta Ursae. Does this mean we'll get the missing founding world Tellar as a social zone or at least as a dot on the map?
    Tellarites across the galaxy demand an answer to the most pressing issue of their time: Where is Tellar!?!?!
  • bigbear2019bigbear2019 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I have been wondering for a while about the Fleet symbol's on our Star Bases. Will we be able to adorn our Star Base with our Fleet symbol? We have been able to put the Fleet symbol's on our ships, our toon's, as well as our entire bridge crew *excepting the breen, borg, reman, and the Dip reward toon* I am at a loss in being able to adress this with my Fleet when they ask why we don't have the Fleet symbol on our base.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zalenrosezalenrose Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Can you give us more insight on the possibility for 1st Officers as playable characters and any plans for more depth in the Hoff system like specializations or 1st Officer abilities?
This discussion has been closed.