Install Arc
Options

Season 7 Dev Blog #26

Comments

• Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    klaatuwolf wrote: »
    Everything sounds cool for my first Q's Winter wonderland event. However, the only thing I have misgivings about is the unmelting snowballs that can be used after the winter event. That's just one more thing that griefers will have in their arsenal to annoy people with.

lemme get this ...griefers can have them and you cant....mmm .Ill read what you said later because Im sure Im missing the logic in that post at the moment.
  • Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Bah Humbug - blasted Commercial-Fest! *Mumble Grumble*

All joking aside, this looks like good fun and a pleasant distraction. Though one can't help but hope that they put something in place that gives better rewards to anyone who participates in the event on Christmas day itself ;) :P

I actually hope they don't. Christmas Day itself is supposed to be a day you spend with family and loved ones. By making a special reward available only on Christmas Day is like an encouragement to NOT spend time with family. A very UN-Christmas spirit in my opinion!!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I actually hope they don't. Christmas Day itself is supposed to be a day you spend with family and loved ones. By making a special reward available only on Christmas Day is like an encouragement to NOT spend time with family. A very UN-Christmas spirit in my opinion!!

I normaly play on the street and when I play in the house I ask my family to get out.
    Also during christmas when I have more free time (free days of work) I wont spend them in house ,I will go on the street and find myself a gang to beat random people.

*facepalm*
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited December 2012

you do realize that not everyone celebrates the birthday of a convicted criminal roughly 2000years ago
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    havam wrote: »
    you do realize that not everyone celebrates the birthday of a convicted criminal roughly 2000years ago

Meh... Atheists celebrate Christmas, too, just not for the Christ connection despite the name of the holiday.
    But because it is a nice tradition and in it's core actually far older than christianity.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    timelord79 wrote: »
    Meh... Atheists celebrate Christmas, too, just not for the Christ connection despite the name of the holiday.
    But because it is a nice tradition and in it's core actually far older than christianity.

If they live in North America, maybe. Again there are regions where X-mas is just not on the map.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    If they live in North America, maybe. Again there are regions where X-mas is just not on the map.

and then theres Grinch :D
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    SO, how many days are left in this event?
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Awesome! Thank you, this sounds great fun.

I do have some questions though:

I'd love the jackets on my Vulcan, but she's only a level 3. Will she still be able to participate? Get the Jackets and Breen ship (Even if she can't use it for another few months?)

If not, and I use my main to unlock the jackets, will they be available on my alt as well as account unlockable (I know the ship wont be, but the jackets?)

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Not everyone worships Shrubs, Crystals weather patterns, radicalized prophets, enlightened self-achievers or follow holidays invented in the turmoil of the racial tense times of the American 1960's.
    Not everyone gets uptight over other peoples faith since it hardly effects them. Most just enjoy the holiday for what it is and move on.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Please tell me the Nanopulse Bat'leth is not KDF-only...I hate the Vulcan shovels.
  • Options
    robinsonfamilyrobinsonfamily Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I love the idea of a free Breen Ship, now I have something to add my Breen Space Set to an actual Breen Ship! I love it! Can not wait to read the stats on the ship!
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Although it is nice to have the opportunity of a free ship and I'm not quite getting the "ugly" vibe some members have expressed :confused: I'm actually more obsessed over the jackets :cool: what a cool look, nice design full must have, especially on my KDF.:D
    May get the ship on one of my KDF chars, since I don't like using non-fed ships in the Federation, but these jackets are what I'll be aiming for first and foremost hehe :P
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    captainjgeecaptainjgee Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well done Cryptic, you've done something right and nice. :D
  • Options
    phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2012
    klaatuwolf wrote: »
    Everything sounds cool for my first Q's Winter wonderland event. However, the only thing I have misgivings about is the unmelting snowballs that can be used after the winter event. That's just one more thing that griefers will have in their arsenal to annoy people with.

Unmelting snowballs have been around since last years winter event... I still have 30 in my bank. Do you see yourself getting griefed constantly now? Nope! Plus it just makes you have a bit of frost float off of you and gives you the ability to throw one back if you click the temporary button that shows up in your power tray. It's a fun item, it does not slow you down or hold you or anything. You just get hit with a snowball, unless you are an over-dramatic Drozana Station RPer... then you wont care.

I love how people constantly complain in these forums without having the slightest clue about anything.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    They might as well just have put a frosted borg cube as the reward... The breen are like have some of our ships feds and kdf we aren't enemies you can just have our technology since its the holiday season lol.

I know its free but its also destroying the integrity of the franchise its basically a fed diet for feds and kdf but at some point with this direction of feds and kdf in cardassian, dominion, ferrengi, now breen ships... Yeah this isn't star trek its like star trek and star wars put into a big pot and then watered down with rusty water.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Autographed 8x10 Glossy Pictures of Q
    Everytime I see this I can't help but think of poor Officer Obie, read that part of the Blog as "27 8-by-10 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one..." and the case of American Blind Justice.

Is it just me?

:rolleyes:

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    klaatuwolfklaatuwolf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Unmelting snowballs have been around since last years winter event... I still have 30 in my bank. Do you see yourself getting griefed constantly now? Nope! Plus it just makes you have a bit of frost float off of you and gives you the ability to throw one back if you click the temporary button that shows up in your power tray. It's a fun item, it does not slow you down or hold you or anything. You just get hit with a snowball, unless you are an over-dramatic Drozana Station RPer... then you wont care.

I love how people constantly complain in these forums without having the slightest clue about anything.
    First off, I wasn't complaining, I was simply expressing a concern. And second, as I said this is my first winter event on the game, so I've been here less than a year and didn't know that the unmelting snowballs were a holdover from last year.
  • Options
    vesolcvesolc Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    WoooHoooo! Chel thank you, thank you:D
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I told Cryptic about selling coats for the winter snow maps months ago. I should get an idea finders fee cut of every jacket sold lol. I can pull up my post to prove it. I told you they would fly off the rack, judging by comments so far. And they do look great. Unless its too grindy or expensive, every one of my Captains and away teams are getting a jacket for Christmas!

But how exactly do I get them? Are they in the holiday bundle for 5 lobi? So thats what opening two lockboxes per jacket bundle?

How are they equipped? Do i have to pay EC everytime I want to wear them and save my old costumes for each Capt and BO? Ideally they are devices where I can keep armor fx disabled and enable jackets on the fly whenever I beam down surprisingly into a blizzard. So can you fill in the exact details of the jackets Jman?

Also Jman, what are the odds we can get a year round winter map based off Yosemite National Park? Day and night cycle. Big wood lodge. Deer to hunt, etc
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited December 2012
    Hi Captains!

Just a heads up that the minimum level for players to participate in Q's Winter Wonderland is 5+ (Fed) and 24+ (KDF).

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Hi Captains!

Just a heads up that the minimum level for players to participate in Q's Winter Wonderland is 5+ (Fed) and 24+ (KDF).

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Makes sense. Anyone that's atually done anything, in other words. I'll tell you ONE thing right now - I'm getting that ship on ALL my characters. Just TOO good to not have.
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Hi Captains!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

YES! That means I only need to get Arwen up 2 levels to be able to get those wonderful jackets and ship. Oh happy days.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Considering that many folks have more than half a dozen characters, would it not make sense to have the cost 400-500 of those thingies. That way people are able to spend more time doing this and other stuff in game and still have time for a real life over the holidays. The idea of having to think about this minor task for 25 days (time gated) feels too much like a mandated ritual to STO/PWE for a free ship.

As for the option to buy the items, 2-6 tokens for 5 lobis (which is obtained via lockbox-key purchases) is way to small. At least 10 and more like 20, tokens for 5 lobis is appropriate (not that I would spend money on what, is suppose to be a free item).

Finally, I just plan on doing this for two of my toons (the ones I want to give it to), but others might want to be able to change which toon actually uses it. An account-bound box would allow the player to move it to another toon and then it is character bound on opening is appropriate.

Either way, nice gift, just don't make it a pain in the process of getting it. ;)
  • Options
    psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited December 2012

The modern way to celebrate Christmas comes from A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.

Previous to that the festival known as Christmas was set at this time of year to overwrite the pagan festival that had been held since long before. In modern times it's a special day for many for various reasons, not all of them religious.

Nevertheless there is no mention of any religion in this festival so no day is any more important than another. Outside the game many people around the world will be having the day off and spending it with friends and family, religious leanings or not so any special event just on that day would exclude people.
  • Options
    webbie00webbie00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Im pretty sure im blind or stupid but i cant seem to find Q?s Appreciation Package at all, even at the lobi consortium...

Edit: Now it's there...so i guess i was blind heh
  • Options
    thestormsongthestormsong Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The animations when wearing the Frosted Boots on the ice lake are fantastic!
    I think can spend hours just skating around :D
    My thanks to the dev who made these animations!

Joined in March, 2011. Lifer since December, 2011.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The animations when wearing the Frosted Boots on the ice lake are fantastic!
    I think can spend hours just skating around :D
    My thanks to the dev who made these animations!
    Oh, that's cool to hear! I look forward to trying it out. :)

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Frosted Boots: Additional animations have been added while skating on Q?s frozen lake while you have these active. They will also no longer possess expiration timers, and can be used indefinitely once purchased.
    Why does the ingame tooltip say they last for 30 hours only?
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Certainly going to try for the ship, but you guys really need to vet the requirements before you allow someone to post a blog about things. The 40 photos are earned by WINNING the race, not by merely PARTICIPATING. There's a significant difference between the two, particularly when having to win for 25 days out of the 35 for the event.

Please stop misrepresenting the requirements for things like this.