Install Arc
Options

Season 7 Dev Blog #26

Comments

• Options
    darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited December 2012
    Wow, what can I say. Will be so getting that breen ship!! :D

Question though: I have the winter boots on one of my main toons, will this be upgraded to not have a timer on it?
  • Options
    x3of9x3of9 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    darkenzedd wrote: »
    Wow, what can I say. Will be so getting that breen ship!! :D

Question though: I have the winter boots on one of my main toons, will this be upgraded to not have a timer on it?

Borticus said somewhere that they will be retrofit to be Infinite Frosty Boots. :D
    U.S.S. Marathon - NX-92781
  • Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Do you have even the first clue how hopelessly entitled this sounds?

"I want the cool present that can be earned for free by playing the game, but I don't wanna actually have to PLAY the game to get it!"

As somebody else mentioned earlier in this thread, if you don't have Money or Time in abundance, you are not an MMO's target audience.

I think it's pretty obvious that this Winter Event is an effort to get people online and playing, instead of Cryptic's usual apparent tactic of getting people online and shopping. I think it's a refreshing change of pace, and I hope this little experiment works out for them so that we can see more similarly-motivated events in the future.

Did you know that I'm on every day, have 4 level 50 toons, 5 more at various levels plus I have acquired multiple copies of all lockbox ships from farming dilithium and EC? No, of course not. You assume you know me well enough to think I have a sense of entitlement from one of my posts and feel it necessary to cast judgement. You don't know me and I can assure you you never will.

PWE doesn't need to encourage me to spend time in game as I already do. Me wanting a ship to be tradeable due to spending time with the family during the holidays (hardly abnormal behaviour) is a rational and reasonable request.
  • Options
    aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I would be way more interested if it was a Romulan ship. Oh well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Very nice.

I wonder if the Breen Ship has a unique bridge?

We saw a Jem'Hadar bridge in some episodes of DS9 as well as Cardassian bridges. There were also Ferengi bridges in TNG and a Time Ship bridge in Voyager.

As far as I remember there was nothing about a Breen bridge in the TV shows. That would give some "freedom in designing" to the Breen bridge ^^
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Very nice.

I wonder if the Breen Ship has a unique bridge?

We saw a Jem'Hadar bridge in some episodes of DS9 as well as Cardassian bridges. There were also Ferengi bridges in TNG and a Time Ship bridge in Voyager.

As far as I remember there was nothing about a Breen bridge in the TV shows. That would give some "freedom in designing" to the Breen bridge ^^

Somewhere in this thread it was intimated that there isn't a unique bridge. Considering the ship is free I can understand that.
  • Options
    commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Because the changes made to the Boots are power-related, and can be changed without requiring any sort of fix-up script. An item that is Bound, however, cannot ever be Unbound without doing a database crawl to manually flip those flags on each copy of the item owned by every character in the database, and this type of fix-up script is something that is always running on the server. Every time we add another fix-up to the game, it has a small effect on overall performance and stability, so we try only to do it when totally necessary.

If it is a big problem for people, could a trade-in vendor be added? I can't imagine though that the bound ones are numerous though in people's inventories though, and most likely those would be used first.
  • Options
    naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Somewhere in this thread it was intimated that there isn't a unique bridge. Considering the ship is free I can understand that.

well that makes sense. thank you because i skipped some of the posts ^^
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If it weren't for the impulse streaks on that ship, I would have guessed it flew the other way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes; one hour of active time.

It's bound.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Bound to character or account?

If character, why? I see no reason for that. If account, that's cool.
  • Options
    nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited December 2012
  • Options
    jnohdjnohd Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I has questions!

1) Are my Frosted Boots from last year (which still have a timer on them when I equip them) going to be converted into ones without a timer, or will I need to earn a whole new pair? [WHOOPS! I see this is answered as a "yes" eslewhere!]

2) Why in the world are those awesome jackets not colorable?? From a company with such an amazing history of character personalization, I am a little shocked to see you limit our creativity on this one. I hope its some technical reason, and not a sign of The New Cryptic! Yours are among the last of the truly customizable games!
    Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
    ALL HOLDINGS FINISHED! - Starbase 5-5-5-5 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
    A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
    Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.
  • Options
    avoidgodlik3avoidgodlik3 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    well the event takes place in the holidays season and if the ship is as good as the 2 usseles ships from last year bortas and odysey then family time and getting drunk and eating like a pig can take priority to STO better farm for a couple of days to have some dil stored and log in for the refinement proces and some doffing rather than grinding for a TRIBBLE ship.
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This will be my first jump into Q's Winter Wonderland. Kind of sad the ships are bound, but not going to ruin my fun by any means.

One question, that I don't think has been asked or answered:

The Blog makes it sound like the snow blasters will not work outside the Winter Wonderland, What happens to them after the event? Do they disappear from our inventories? or did I misunderstand that part of the blog and they are just only available during the event?
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    One of my KDF Captains volunteered to do the 25 days of racing... My FED Captains all rolled their eyes and walked away in a huff. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the free ship and giving us 10 days to enjoy the holidays without having to include STO. :D

And don't forget about your snowball full auto gun ;)
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Will the Breen set give this cruiser a special set power?

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    well the event takes place in the holidays season and if the ship is as good as the 2 usseles ships from last year bortas and odysey then family time and getting drunk and eating like a pig can take priority to STO better farm for a couple of days to have some dil stored and log in for the refinement proces and some doffing rather than grinding for a TRIBBLE ship.

You sound to me like a spoiled little brat! Take that Silver Spoon out of your mouth for a while and try and appreciate what's being given to us for FREE while we're all having fun during the "made to be fun" event!

The Dev's didn't have to give us a free ship but they DID! Try and appreciate their hard work in making the 3D art, the texturing, the animations and etc, etc, etc in making this ship possible for us to gain for FREE!

A lot of hard work has gone into this event and the ship that is being given to us. If you knew anything at all about what it takes to create ingame assets you'd know where I'm coming from... So...

Get over yourself and have a little consideration and appreciation!

[/rant] Sorry... it just peevs me off when I see those comment like that when they have no idea of what it takes to make ingame assets, and then the creators make it FREE for us all to earn out of the goodness of their hearts! :(

Keep up the good work Cryptic Team! I love ya's! ;)
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2012
    The Blog makes it sound like the snow blasters will not work outside the Winter Wonderland, What happens to them after the event? Do they disappear from our inventories? or did I misunderstand that part of the blog and they are just only available during the event?

Once you have the weapons, you can keep them forever. However, for the time being, the only place they will be usable is on Q's Winter Wonderland, and the only enemies they will damage are Snowmen. You'll be able to equip and unholster them on other maps, but they won't be able to activate.

We have no plans to expand their functionality at this time, but I wouldn't completely rule it out.

khayuung wrote: »
    Will the Breen set give this cruiser a special set power?

Also no plans for this, at this time. There's no synergy set up between the Ship and the Set.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Once you have the weapons, you can keep them forever. However, for the time being, the only place they will be usable is on Q's Winter Wonderland, and the only enemies they will damage are Snowmen. You'll be able to equip and unholster them on other maps, but they won't be able to activate.

We have no plans to expand their functionality at this time, but I wouldn't completely rule it out.

Also no plans for this, at this time. There's no synergy set up between the Ship and the Set.

Part 1: Free anti-Tholian gun for those lacking a CRM 200?

Part 2: Why not? Why would the Breen set not be better on a Breen ship?
  • Options
    sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    felderburg wrote: »
    Bound to character or account?

If character, why? I see no reason for that. If account, that's cool.

everything is bind on equip if get ship and want to move to other toon
    you can
  • Options
    wilvwilv Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Is there a level restriction to the winter event or can any player enjoy it?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    sean2448 wrote: »
    everything is bind on equip if get ship and want to move to other toon
    you can

It sounds like it's bind on pickup. If that's the case then as soon as you earn it it's bound. I'm away on holiday so I'll miss out. Even so, I still applaud the fact that a free ship is being given out without an inordinate amount of grinding or dilithium. I see this as a true Christmas present.

I love Christmas presents. :-)
    wilv wrote: »
    Is there a level restriction to the winter event or can any player enjoy it?

A really good question. What can be earned by players of what level? I may not have time to get a ship but I may have time to get those AWESOME jackets!!
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    A really good question. What can be earned by players of what level? I may not have time to get a ship but I may have time to get those AWESOME jackets!!

If there is a level restriction on the event, I imagine it will be very low, 10 or so. And if it's open to low-level players, everything will be earnable by low level players- they just won't be able to open the reward pack box the ship comes in until they reach its level.
  • Options
    herbie1966herbie1966 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If I remember correctly it was Level 11 last year.
  • Options
    burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Devs, Question.

Is there going to be a waiting line like the last winter event? Players like myself who have ADD will find that very difficult to do.
  • Options
    fakehilbertfakehilbert Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Why is it so hard to write a single SQL statement and make all these winter items from last yeard unbound too?
  • Options
    fakehilbertfakehilbert Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    An item that is Bound, however, cannot ever be Unbound without doing a database crawl to manually flip those flags on each copy of the item owned by every character in the database, and this type of fix-up script is something that is always running on the server. Every time we add another fix-up to the game, it has a small effect on overall performance and stability, so we try only to do it when totally necessary.
    ?????

Why would such a fix-up script be running all the time? Why don't you write an SQL statement that you run once on your entire database during server maintenance?

(And for that matter: Why do you store everything as its own item and not only the parts that are user-dependent? E.g. why do we have to discard ships and reclaim them to get bugfixes to costumes or transwarp abilities? How did you manage to write a game with such a weird database back-end?)
  • Options
    aeolusdallasaeolusdallas Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    genhauk wrote: »
    ::: thumbs up ... Good to know before slotting.

I have a feeling jackets are going to be the top priority however. :)

It's the same race as last year. It takes 5 minutes 10 tops
  • Options
    klaatuwolfklaatuwolf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Everything sounds cool for my first Q's Winter wonderland event. However, the only thing I have misgivings about is the unmelting snowballs that can be used after the winter event. That's just one more thing that griefers will have in their arsenal to annoy people with.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Hmm you can get a breen ship for grinding a race. Considering the lack of content to use a new ship in for my KDF character and the amount of grinding for fleet marks, Romulan marks, Omega marks and Dilithium. I think I will give this a miss. The Winter Wonderland would probably be good for me to look at but the prizes don't seem to be enough to go there for.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]