What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 7 Dev Blog #26

Comments

• Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    My compliments to the art team, these are very nice jackets. Also, I have always been quite fond of the Breen ships, well done. And only 250 races for the Breen ship on 10 characters, not bad. I should have plenty of time to enjoy the rest of the winter event and still get the ship for all of my characters. And to think I was excited about episode replay. I will just have to catch it the next time around. I predict that I will be spending all of my time enjoying the winter event.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    purvee1purvee1 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes; one hour of active time.

Thanks.

So there's still nothing to buy with GPl then ;)
  • Options
    ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well this is a welcome surprise.

Nice work Cryptic!
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Noob question: if I use one of those holoemitters, will it fool enemy NPCs?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2012
    genhauk wrote: »
    And .... If a fleet does not finish the project before the end of the event, can they boot the special project so they are not stuck with it for a year? :)

We will have an in-game solution for Fleets that find themselves in this situation, either towards the end of the event or after it is over. You will not end up stuck with the project, don't worry.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    gornman47gornman47 Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Damn, I have wanted a Breen ship since I first found out the ship holo-emitter runs out. Very awesome Cryptic this is a nice gift thanks!

Question on the new ground personal holo-emitters, no timer ?please:)
    Q: [quoting Hartley] "Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays..."
  • Options
    fauxpasiiifauxpasiii Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Will frosted boots left over from last year's event be made permanent ? Will they display the new animations ?

Thanks!
  • Options
    icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    So, Tron/Bort, will we see a blog with the Chell Grett stats in the next few days, or will this be a case of "Earn it and THEN find out if you want it or not"?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    fauxpasiii wrote: »
    Will frosted boots left over from last year's event be made permanent ? Will they display the new animations ?

The changes mentioned in the blog will affect boots from last year as well as new ones obtained this year.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    fauxpasiiifauxpasiii Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The changes mentioned in the blog will affect boots from last year as well as new ones obtained this year.

Top score! Thanks ! =)
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Ok, so some items were made perm, but some items, the special commodities, that were bound last year are still bound?
    Why weren't they turned tradeable again?
    Will using the special commodities to purchase the Winter gears, draw from the Bound pool first, before drawing from the tradeable pool?

I mean, if the purchasing of Winter gears automatically took the bound pieces FIRST, then the "don't mix the bound and unbound" issue will be taken care of.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    As I asked in my other thread - I am sure this idea for the free ship would go over even better if it could be reduced to 20 days instead of 25.

Given that this is a very busy season for most people i am sure that everyone would be thrilled with that news, Just changing it to 50 pictures per daily run. I know you can supplement with Lobi, but you know what people are going to say if you mention that.

20 days out of 35 days is a still more than half and still a lot of times especially if you want it on several Alts.

Just saying a little extra "good will" can only be a positive thing for Cryptic right now - especially given this slow season for the game due to real life obligations.

its the little thing is all.

Thanks.
  • Options
    x3of9x3of9 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Ok, so some items were made perm, but some items, the special commodities, that were bound last year are still bound?
    Will using the special commodities to purchase the Winter gears, draw from the Bound pool first, before drawing from the tradeable pool?

I mean, if the purchasing of Winter gears automatically took the bound pieces FIRST, then the "don't mix the bound and unbound" issue will be taken care of.

Put your unbound ones in the Account shared bank before buying anything from the vendors.
    The Account shared bank isn't used automatically, so any bound pieces you have will be used from your personal bank or inventory. Then, you can put the unbound ones back in your personal bank or inventory to spend or trade.
    U.S.S. Marathon - NX-92781
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Because the changes made to the Boots are power-related, and can be changed without requiring any sort of fix-up script. An item that is Bound, however, cannot ever be Unbound without doing a database crawl to manually flip those flags on each copy of the item owned by every character in the database, and this type of fix-up script is something that is always running on the server. Every time we add another fix-up to the game, it has a small effect on overall performance and stability, so we try only to do it when totally necessary.

I don't know the order they will be chosen. If you want to try and "force" the Bound versions to be used first, place any new Unbound versions in your bank. I believe they should draw from your inventory first.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Because the changes made to the Boots are power-related, and can be changed without requiring any sort of fix-up script. An item that is Bound, however, cannot ever be Unbound without doing a database crawl to manually flip those flags on each copy of the item owned by every character in the database, and this type of fix-up script is something that is always running on the server. Every time we add another fix-up to the game, it has a small effect on overall performance and stability, so we try only to do it when totally necessary.

I don't know the order they will be chosen. If you want to try and "force" the Bound versions to be used first, place any new Unbound versions in your bank. I believe they should draw from your inventory first.

interesting, i suppose thats why all currently bound weapons and junk could not be retroactively made account bound
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Q: My aspiring Ferengi would like to know: Since a lot of this stuff can be sold on the exchange, what, in particular, can he hoard to fetch a pretty penny in July?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Maybe you should do something like that to hypos so every time I contribute to projects needing those they don't take the ones I am holding first. It is very very annoying.
  • Options
    illustriousqillustriousq Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    You see, this particular Ferengi happens to be an eternally devoted fan to the Illustrious Q

He's a fan of me?!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Ok, so is the big Snowman fight a "daily", or can someone hang out there all day and wrack up special commodities?
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Breen ship: log in almost every day and grind, or buy it.

What about people who don't have much time OR money?
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    felderburg wrote: »

Not the target audience...
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2012

I will try that. Thank you.
  • Options
    tehjoneltehjonel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    felderburg wrote: »

not enough money: you don't need money to play this game.

not enough time: how are these people playing star trek online? log in, look around, log out? i doubt the event takes more than 30 minutes to complete.

anyway, will the breen ship have a special bonus for equipping the full supercooled breen engine/shield/deflector items the same way the jem'hadar attack ship gets a slight bonus (still a bonus) for equipping a the full jem'hadar set?
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    We will have an in-game solution for Fleets that find themselves in this situation, either towards the end of the event or after it is over. You will not end up stuck with the project, don't worry.

::: thumbs up ... Good to know before slotting.

I have a feeling jackets are going to be the top priority however. :)
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    tehjonel wrote: »
    not enough money: you don't need money to play this game.

not enough time: how are these people playing star trek online? log in, look around, log out? i doubt the event takes more than 30 minutes to complete.

anyway, will the breen ship have a special bonus for equipping the full supercooled breen engine/shield/deflector items the same way the jem'hadar attack ship gets a slight bonus (still a bonus) for equipping a the full jem'hadar set?

The race if I remember right takes 5 to 10 minutes top ... and that's logging in and getting to the starting line, etc. :)

Time varies if you lose and have to consistently restart or get ambushed mid-race by an angry Frosty the Snowman. :D
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    hrci2907hrci2907 Member Posts: 648 Media Corps
    edited December 2012
    Yes; one hour of active time.

It's bound.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

wait what? bound? why would the ship be bound? so we cant sell it or buy it from the exc? are you serious?:eek:
    "This is your ultimate STO Youtube channel!"
    https://youtube.com/user/MyBalkanGaming
  • Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    hrci2907 wrote: »
    wait what? bound? why would the ship be bound? so we cant sell it or buy it from the exc? are you serious?:eek:

I'm loving the sound of the event EXCEPT for this one thing. I really wish they weren't bound for those of us who are going to miss out due to holidays. It's like we're punished for existing outside of the game!!
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Thank you!
    Thank you!
    Thank you!
    Thank you!

Cryptic, this Winter Wonderland event sounds like it's going to be awesome! All the new prizes, fun stuff to do, and neat new things to collect; it's all so very amazing, even more so considering it's all free! That's a fantastic GIFT to us players, and I appreciate it greatly!
    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays
    Star Trek Online!
    Woot, woot!! Best, news, EVAR! :D

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    hippiejon wrote: »
    Sounds great.
    That is just such an UGLY ship.
    IT will have to have amazing stats to make it even slightly attractive to try and get.
    Ugly ?
    Thats a beautiful ship, I just hope that energy dissapator was left onboard when Q appropriated them from the Breen.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    pantsmaster916pantsmaster916 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm loving the sound of the event EXCEPT for this one thing. I really wish they weren't bound for those of us who are going to miss out due to holidays. It's like we're punished for existing outside of the game!!

Do you have even the first clue how hopelessly entitled this sounds?

"I want the cool present that can be earned for free by playing the game, but I don't wanna actually have to PLAY the game to get it!"

As somebody else mentioned earlier in this thread, if you don't have Money or Time in abundance, you are not an MMO's target audience.

I think it's pretty obvious that this Winter Event is an effort to get people online and playing, instead of Cryptic's usual apparent tactic of getting people online and shopping. I think it's a refreshing change of pace, and I hope this little experiment works out for them so that we can see more similarly-motivated events in the future.