test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Open Discussion on Submitting for Spotlights

I figure with the fact the new spotlighting feature is going live when foundry does again, we should get all our thoughts out and in one place for open discussion as well as for supplying to the Devs feedback. Granted, I'm not sure if we will see the direct agreement we will be signing over yet, but figure we can at least start talking about it in one solid place.

As far as my knowledge the previous spotlight winners have been informed of the new system going live and its major requirement of releasing control. It was also stated to be compulsory (how I read it) in that for our missions to be included in the spotlight list we'd have to choose to accept ourselves from the Mission Editor when foundry goes live.

The biggest concern I have, which is the one that I'd assume is in everyone else's mind, is that of being unable to edit the project after submission.

To start, the reason why they are asking this makes sense to me. They need to have complete control of what they are putting out there as content. This is beyond a little message pop up or a post on the website. This is an in your face button directing someone to a mission they okayed. Although any kind of offense there like suddenly turning your mission winner into a political manifesto or a fan-fic shade's of gray film would no doubt result in a permaban, it happening at all is something Cryptic (and their legal team) can't allow. I understand and I'm cool with that for reasoning.

As far as the implementation my concerns of handing over editing are mainly: upgrading mission features when new ones are available, the fixing of later accumulating bugs via new systems and seasons, and general QA like spell checking or text editing post submission.

Some of these I can see as a hand off if that's what Cryptic is wanting; they take this as official content then go off and populate the Klingon Storymode. They take over all QA, do a spelling once through, deal with any bug fixes themselves once they've gotten it handed over. Buuut, means any upgrading would be out.

Worse, it could just be: "That's it. No work done anymore. By anyone. It's now no one's problem but the players in the mission."

However, if it worked in a way where a previous submission can still be edited, and then when you want that version updated you can re-submit it for another eval before that version goes live... I can see that too. In fact I see that as a best of both worlds. We keep creative control, the publish to live isn't automatic so Cryptic can still monitor it and control it. Everybody wins.

I figure the main reason it is a "Do not get the Option to Edit" is the only system we've worked with has relied on us pressing that publish button. This system has to have a mission log that goes to a separate buffer for QA and whoever to decide what gets up. That's the safety Cryptic needs right there. Sure, no promises how fast our updated version get out and published, but it's something.
(A possible problem to this exists if it's just a list that's looking at missions already published on live. Then it wouldn't be a separate list. If that's the case though, maybe some time to get that kind of a work in for NW and the Future here.)

Other thoughts? Discuss.

One I didn't talk about was a time requirement. Now that we will have the average counter, it could be obvious how long a mission takes and probably something Cryptic will be able to directly consider rather than infer. That being the case, would the longer Nagorak Epic-esk and so on missions be able to apply?
Post edited by designationxr377 on

Comments

• psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    However, if it worked in a way where a previous submission can still be edited, and then when you want that version updated you can re-submit it for another eval before that version goes live... I can see that too. In fact I see that as a best of both worlds. We keep creative control, the publish to live isn't automatic so Cryptic can still monitor it and control it. Everybody wins.

Yes, I think that's the best way.
    One I didn't talk about was a time requirement. Now that we will have the average counter, it could be obvious how long a mission takes and probably something Cryptic will be able to directly consider rather than infer. That being the case, would the longer Nagorak Epic-esk and so on missions be able to apply?

I think that instead of a set number of missions you have to play for the daily, it instead counts how long you spend doing Foundry missions. The Daily would complete after, say, half an hour. That way people are more likely to pick a "serious" mission, and still don't have to invest a ton of time on it.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited November 2012
    Generally speaking I'm fine with it. There some missions, including my spotlight, incidentally, that I am pretty much done with, even if more tech is added. But I'm very much a "finish something and move on" "burn your bridges behind you" sort of person.

Whether a mission gets broken by an update is certainly a concern. Obviously as it stands BranFlakes hasn't been entirely clear. Would like to hear more on the subject.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,630 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I think that instead of a set number of missions you have to play for the daily, it instead counts how long you spend doing Foundry missions. The Daily would complete after, say, half an hour. That way people are more likely to pick a "serious" mission, and still don't have to invest a ton of time on it.

I tend to agree. There are quite a number of 'epic' missions out there (such as Nagorak's as stated in the OP) which are fantastic, but do not qualify currently for 'spotlighting' due to their length. It would be nice to have the daily credit for Foundry missions based on mission length - say 3 roughly half-hour missions or one 1.5 hour mission. The only trouble is how to avoid exploiting this system (jump into 1.5 hour mission, immediately drop (leaving a one star rating of course :rolleyes:) and collect credit for entire daily).

But back to the OP and address XR377's main concern, honestly I don't think there will be an issue here. If for any of the reasons stated, an author wanted to update their mission, I'm sure Cryptic would be glad to 'unlock' it for them on request - and then review/playtest it before republishing it again. I understand the concern, but I don't think Cryptic will bite the hand that feeds them awesome free content. :P
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ... The only trouble is how to avoid exploiting this system (jump into 1.5 hour mission, immediately drop (leaving a one star rating of course :rolleyes:)...

The system knows if you've actually completed a mission or not.
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I tinkered with this system on Tribble. There's a "remove" button that appears after you submit for featuring. It's apparently there so that you can edit a previously featured mission then resubmit it for featuring.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I tinkered with this system on Tribble. There's a "remove" button that appears after you submit for featuring. It's apparently there so that you can edit a previously featured mission then resubmit it for featuring.

Well if it worked so that the previous version remained online as a spotlight until the new version passed the test... then it'd be perfect. :D

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • ajstonerajstoner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have been publishing stories for several years on and off and the simple fact of the matter is once you sell your work it isn't yours any more. They bought what they bought and that is the end of it once the allotted editing process has run its course.

Writers are, by and large, obsessive editors and will NEVER be done with something if they don't have to be. Cryptic also don't have the manpower available to constantly replay these missions every time an author decides "This guy would be better standing a meter and a half this way." Live with it.

Now, missions that break are another matter. Hopefully these missions will be specifically checked as Foundry updates happen. They might also allow a grace period when truly major changes are made that radically effect the way such missions work but even then, the author should (simply out of practicality) expect to have to inform the publisher (Cryptic) of the issue or need to modify and approve it.

Keep in mind that the Foundry is pretty low-priority as things go in STO. I think it should be otherwise, but it is what it is. Any system that allows for altering already spotlighted missions would, by necessity, need to be highly limited to special circumstances.

If this isn't acceptable to you, if a mission is really needing something that isn't available in the Foundry yet--Don't Submit it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited November 2012
    I really appreciate this discussion and I'm looking forward to reading your feedback as it continues.

As XR-377 deduced, one of the primary reasons for not permitting editing after submitting a mission for featuring is to allow us to control and approve the content that gets spotlighted (i.e. because we're driving players to play it). This is an automatic process once you hit the button, so it will be important that once you do hit it, it's after you've made any final changes/ spelling corrections/ updates, etc., as you won't be able to edit the mission again.

I completely understand the notion that as an author/ artist, "you're never done" -- I would personally want to tweak my mission all the time and make updates. At this time though, bring the first implementation of the system, the mission won't be able to be edited. I'm not saying that this will not change, or it will change, but we're definitely watching for feedback and will take it into consideration for future updates.
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Whether a mission gets broken by an update is certainly a concern. Obviously as it stands BranFlakes hasn't been entirely clear. Would like to hear more on the subject.

While this is a valid concern, we're not anticipating missions breaking. If there is something that creeps up, we can look at this on a case-by-case basis. All spotlight authors basically have direct access to reaching out to me via the ticket/ email I originally sent to you about being featured. Just reply to the ticket/ email and I'll get it and can investigate :)

I'm fairly certain that this button only works up until the time the mission becomes featured. If you submit a mission, but it's not featured yet, you can remove it with this button. So, once we put it up as a spotlight mission, that button becomes disabled.

Side-note: In case you were all wondering, Spotlighted missions still show the original author's name, authors will continue to get Dilithium tips that are submitted during the review stage, and players will still be able to find your mission through normal searches.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for the responses, Branflakes. As long editing after featuring is not out of the question for the future, I'm satisfied for now.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for the responses, Branflakes. As long editing after featuring is not out of the question for the future, I'm satisfied for now.

I want to make sure not to get your hopes up -- that's why I mentioned "...I'm not saying that this will not change, or it will change..." above. But, never say "never" in a MMO :) This is the current plan and will be the current implementation, but things can change, but sometimes they don't. Feedback is important, though, and I hope it continues in this thread.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Thank you Brandon, glad this is helping getting our thoughts out to you as well as what is going down on your end to us.

As is, I can understand that with some missions there is a nice point where things even off and you don't need to go back. Granted, some I will hold back from submitting because I feel there are features that could make it better, but that isn't all of my missions. So, chances are you'll see my already spotlighted mission on the list.

The one thing that still worries me is the spell checking, but, that may be a personal issue. One of my fleets in jokes is poking fun at my horrific spelling at times in game and remarking about their disbelief I put out what missions I do. I've always had issues with spelling and grammar (read as "grammer") in English so it's part of my internal struggles. I'll be flat out and say it, if I submit a mission for spotlighting and loose that control, and see one of my spelling errors I missed (and they will always be there) it's going to stick out in my mind like a cut diamond inside my shoe.

Unfortunately, with the current setting that is something I will have to live with. But I will remark now some kind of way to clear that up a little better for something Cryptic is saying is alongside their content would be beneficial to both parties. Don't know how to make that happen, cause I really believe a Cryptic QA team sweeping through it once to edit themselves for a single "thier" is a bit of an outlandish expectation. Still, it's a concern I'd like to voice.

Every author gets a low rating for a miss spelled word. If Cryptic backs something officially with a few in there, you'll have some crazy ragers blaming you as well as us.
    edited November 2012
    we're not anticipating missions breaking. If there is something that creeps up, we can look at this on a case-by-case basis. All spotlight authors basically have direct access to reaching out to me via the ticket/ email I originally sent to you about being featured. Just reply to the ticket/ email and I'll get it and can investigate :)

Lol, the problem is that the breaking is UNanticipated... but I suspect you know that. Anyway I'm satisfied, you're very good about looking into stuff for us so I think if we notice a problem with a spotlighted mission you'll help us get it resolved. Thanks for clarifying.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Is there any possibility of getting some idea of what you're looking for in the spotlights? Because I'd rather not even worry about it if, as I suspect, there is an unspoken length limitation. :)
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Has the EULA for submitting foundry spotlights been finalized?
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
    edited November 2012
    zorbane wrote: »
    Has the EULA for submitting foundry spotlights been finalized?

I believe they are one in the same -- hitting the button will explain more + provide any additional requirements that need to be agreed to (e.g. won't be able to edit going forward, etc.).
    nagorak wrote: »
    Is there any possibility of getting some idea of what you're looking for in the spotlights? Because I'd rather not even worry about it if, as I suspect, there is an unspoken length limitation. :)

I look for outstanding, community recommended missions. I personally play through them and choose those that get spotlighted. Winning missions of my Foundry Challenges also make the spotlight.

I think the "submit" button is being taken two ways: 1) Community recommends, I play through and agree, I reach out to the author, and author submits it to us for featuring; and 2) A player would like to recommend themselves and hit the button to send it to me.

I'm sure I won't be able to have the time to play through every mission that is submitted using "way 2," but I will try my best. I'm planning on continuing to use the "community recommended missions" method ("way 1"), but I have no doubt that outstanding missions can also be found through "way 2", even if the community has not played it yet.

As for length, that's a tough one. Most past spotlights have been at least 15-20 minutes, but not more than an hour or so -- it has kinda just worked out that way so far, but that doesn't mean a longer mission couldn't be spotlighted.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The way that foundry missions are put out and this is no offense to authors since they cannot really control it but those missions just feel so blocky, choppy, and 2 Dimensional that there is really no fun in playing them especially when you play KDF with mostly ships that use cloaking devices and have to sit around and wait to recloak after it breaks them.

Make foundry missions have a look of being smooth and polished and then maybe they wouldn't make my eyes bleed out from trying to play one. To be honest though the only people who can really enjoy these are people that can accept what they are and do a lot of fan fiction writing and reading because if you aren't into that these aren't worth really bothering to do.
  • commanderleetacommanderleeta Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Brandon, you mentioned that you don't anticipate missions breaking.

But, since the re-opening of Foundry play today, problems have cropped up. In my mission "Orion Trilogy, part 3: Rebellion" for example, NPCs (including contacts) suddenly disappear partway through the first level, making the mission uncompletable. This didn't happen in S6. A thread in these forums indicates that at least one other Foundry author has had this happen to his mission as well.

What really sucks is that there's nothing I can do about it for at least another week (since I can't edit or unpublish the mission). Anyone who plays my mission for the next week is going to think it's poorly authored, and rate it accordingly.

So, I think you guys a.) need to review your assumption that season updates won't break missions, and b.) give Foundry authors some way to unpublish/disable their missions until the editor goes live again and we can fix the bugs that S7 created in our missions.

Please.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm missing a npc with the update. I have no idea where he is. It doesn't affect the mission in question, but if it is happening to my spotlight, then it is now unplayable. This is exactly the example of why I've been hesitant to hand a mission over.

It could just need a simple y value tweak or something. But without the ability to edit and fix the issues caused by each season update, I'd have to wait in a "let me fix my mission!" queue.

Let's see how many of us are missing vital npcs before we freak out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    It's an issue of distance. I've confirmed this in multiple Foundry missions. If you move a certain distance away from NPCs (allies, enemies, or contacts) they simply disappear. This is especially obvious in space battle missions. Fly a little ways off and everyone disappears. Try it. It's happened in every Foundry mission I've played today.
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's an issue of distance. I've confirmed this in multiple Foundry missions. If you move a certain distance away from NPCs (allies, enemies, or contacts) they simply disappear. This is especially obvious in space battle missions. Fly a little ways off and everyone disappears. Try it. It's happened in every Foundry mission I've played today.

If what you say is true, I bet this has something to do with the new ability to despawn enemies and NPCs. Before they couldn't be hidden, so they were never hidden. Now they are hidden automatically by the engine at a certain distance.
    edited November 2012
    Everyone of my missions is borked. "The Needs of the Few" is completely broken. This is really making me hesitate about pressing that submit button. Every single season, something like this happens, sometimes not as bad, but always requiring an edit to fix.

At this point, I'd almost like to ask Cryptic to just leave the Foundry alone. They aren't adding anything to it, beyond a few minor things here and there. Mostly, they mess up what is working.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Is editing still turned off ? I can't get back in to edit missions I've been working on.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
    edited November 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Everyone of my missions is borked. "The Needs of the Few" is completely broken. This is really making me hesitate about pressing that submit button. Every single season, something like this happens, sometimes not as bad, but always requiring an edit to fix.

As I previously mentioned in this thread, if an author reports that there is an issue with their spotlighted mission, we'll look at it on a "case-by-case" basis. I'll be managing the in-game spotlighted missions list, so I'm inclined not to leave a mission up that can not be completed ;) At that point, I'd most likely remove it from being spotlighted and then we'd look at how it could be remedied.
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Is editing still turned off ? I can't get back in to edit missions I've been working on.

Yes -- we hope to have it back up next week, and then reviewing after that.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited November 2012
    Brandon, any word on a fix for the disappearing NPCs in Foundry missions? No amount of editing by us authors is going to fix the missions if this bug isn't squashed by the devs.
    edited November 2012
    Brandon, any word on a fix for the disappearing NPCs in Foundry missions? No amount of editing by us authors is going to fix the missions if this bug isn't squashed by the devs.

I passed the info along yesterday, but we're out for the holiday. We'll begin investigating as soon as we are back in the office.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited November 2012

I would assume that once they find the bug on the back end and push a fix, the problem will be solved for all missions. But yeah, holiday...
  • ajstonerajstoner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Adding the patrol functionality was bound to have have side-effects since it's a fairly substantial amount of code.

The NPC problem existed before Season 7. It was pretty uncommon but it did crop up now and again; especially on the more complicated maps. The frequency is just much higher now.

The ability to set patrol routes is a real boon though so I am content enough on that score to give it a chance. Foundry still needs a lot of attention but this is a good step forward.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I was going to post another thread to ask this, but it might be better just to ask here since it is idle discussion.

I'm curious to know whether I as a foundry player would see more 3 part missions or trilogy collections that both offer a decent mission or story arc while still satisfying the new officer reports daily criteria.

I appreciate the work people put into foundry content (it's the only worthwhile end game content as far as I'm concerned) but on some days I would be happy to just play a single mission in 3 parts that last 50 mins or so.

As it stands we have plenty of single missions, lots of series missions and stories that seem to be anything from 2 parts to 6.

This isn't a request, just curious to know if anyone has plans to do things that take advantage of the new daily criteria really.
    edited November 2012
    They took patrols out Stoner. Apparently they weren't working right. Hopefully they'll get it working.
    coupaholic wrote: »
    I was going to post another thread to ask this, but it might be better just to ask here since it is idle discussion.

I'm curious to know whether I as a foundry player would see more 3 part missions or trilogy collections that both offer a decent mission or story arc while still satisfying the new officer reports daily criteria.

I appreciate the work people put into foundry content (it's the only worthwhile end game content as far as I'm concerned) but on some days I would be happy to just play a single mission in 3 parts that last 50 mins or so.

As it stands we have plenty of single missions, lots of series missions and stories that seem to be anything from 2 parts to 6.

This isn't a request, just curious to know if anyone has plans to do things that take advantage of the new daily criteria really.

I think you might see more of this.

I have made a three-part KDF series (see my sig), which can be played in any order. Unfortunately right now one of them doesn't qualify. Quite annoying, it may be that the people playing it have averaged it in under 20 minutes, might have to add a map or something to slow it down slightly.

Obviously my 5-part "Dissent" series would qualify, though I do hope people play the last two. And I do plan to add a two-part sequel to my Mirror Universe mission "Over There," so that would be one that would work.

And thank you coupaholic, you are the kind of person we make these missions for.
    edited November 2012
    ajstoner wrote: »
    Adding the patrol functionality was bound to have have side-effects since it's a fairly substantial amount of code.

The NPC problem existed before Season 7. It was pretty uncommon but it did crop up now and again; especially on the more complicated maps. The frequency is just much higher now.

The ability to set patrol routes is a real boon though so I am content enough on that score to give it a chance. Foundry still needs a lot of attention but this is a good step forward.

Didn't they take this out of tribble because it wasn't ready?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]